Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2021, 07:01 AM   #3151
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Age of Samurai

This is a fantastic historical look at the history of Japan

I've watched a couple episodes. Yes, pretty interesting.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:02 AM   #3152
Edward64
Head Coach

Saw Coming to America 2. Good to see Eddie and Arsenio again. The costumes are fantastic.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:39 AM   #3153
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Finishing up Working Moms (at least the 4 seasons on Netflix now). Crazy funny. The creator and star of the show is the daughter of comedy director Ivan Rietman who directed Ghostbuster, Stripes, Meatballs, Twins, and Kindergarden Cop to name a few. She definitely has her father's sense of humor.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:45 AM   #3154
lungs
Pro Rookie

Anybody else watch Tribes of Europa?

Finished it last night. Kind of wish it was more than six episodes.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:01 AM   #3155
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Finishing up Working Moms (at least the 4 seasons on Netflix now). Crazy funny. The creator and star of the show is the daughter of comedy director Ivan Rietman who directed Ghostbuster, Stripes, Meatballs, Twins, and Kindergarden Cop to name a few. She definitely has her father's sense of humor.

Amazing show. So good.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #3156
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I heard Uncut Gems is great, but as a sports bettor I heard there is so many unrealistic things that happen it is hard to enjoy.

Honestly that sort of statement is the equivalent of being like "the car the main character drove wasn't actually released until a year after where the film takes place - its do distracting i can't enjoy the movie."

I think it would have almost zero impact on your experience, and if anything i think a familiarity with sports betting probably adds a fair amount to some scenes.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:22 AM   #3157
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Holy Shit! Did I miss CT coming back into our lives?

Welcome back, dude!
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:40 AM   #3158
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Honestly that sort of statement is the equivalent of being like "the car the main character drove wasn't actually released until a year after where the film takes place - its do distracting i can't enjoy the movie."

I think it would have almost zero impact on your experience, and if anything i think a familiarity with sports betting probably adds a fair amount to some scenes.

I've heard a lot of people claim otherwise. Model of a car is a minor detail. When the premise of the movie is sports betting and the actual betting someone is doing couldn't happen it seems like more than a minor detail.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #3159
JPhillips
General Manager

The Sinner has some genuinely shocking moments, especially in season 1.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:41 PM   #3160
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

We watched "Comming To America" 1&2 last night. It was fun. The second movie was very much a more family friendly version. I forgot how much they got away with in the first movie and kept a pg-13 rating.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:58 PM   #3161
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
We watched "Comming To America" 1&2 last night. It was fun. The second movie was very much a more family friendly version. I forgot how much they got away with in the first movie and kept a pg-13 rating.

We did the same thing. Shipped the kids to my parents for the night, ordered thai food and did a double feature.

I agree we were surprised by the first one. I have seen it several times, but usually on TBS or somewhere. The second one wasn't very good, but it was nice to have a night without the kids around.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:00 PM   #3162
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

I wanna tear you apart...and your friend too...

He clay...he clay he clay...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:00 PM   #3163
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
We did the same thing. Shipped the kids to my parents for the night, ordered thai food and did a double feature.

I agree we were surprised by the first one. I have seen it several times, but usually on TBS or somewhere. The second one wasn't very good, but it was nice to have a night without the kids around.

mmmmm thai....

Green curry and phud thai are my goto yo
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:29 PM   #3164
sabotai
General Manager

Netflix now airing a documentary called "The Last Blockbuster".

Must be one satisfying victory lap.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:02 AM   #3165
Edward64
Head Coach

Paid $5 to watch "The Swordsman", a Korean movie based on the period when China was exerting rule over Joseon/Korea.

Actually better than I expected. Watch it for the action. The storyline is as expected for the genre. The non-action acting wasn't that great.

I've never thought much about this period, I'll have to read up on it.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:25 AM   #3166
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Netflix now airing a documentary called "The Last Blockbuster".

Must be one satisfying victory lap.

Watched it last night. It was "ok". Just a lot of people waxing poetic on the store itself - the colors, the smells, etc. Frankly, while we used to go to Blockbuster for rentals a lot when younger, it was never more than that, just a store.

The last statement of the film talked about the ability to physically pick up a movie, take it home, watch it. Because we don't do that anymore, we're somehow losing the essence of who we are. Yes, I'm paraphrasing, but yes, I'm rolling my eyes just the same.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:43 AM   #3167
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Watched it last night. It was "ok". Just a lot of people waxing poetic on the store itself - the colors, the smells, etc. Frankly, while we used to go to Blockbuster for rentals a lot when younger, it was never more than that, just a store.

The last statement of the film talked about the ability to physically pick up a movie, take it home, watch it. Because we don't do that anymore, we're somehow losing the essence of who we are. Yes, I'm paraphrasing, but yes, I'm rolling my eyes just the same.

LOL. And Blockbuster was the end of theaters and our parents should have remembered the thrill of going to the movie theater.

Every generation has to wax romantically.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #3168
Dreghorn2
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Every generation has to wax romantically.

As they should.
Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:07 PM   #3169
Kodos
Resident Alien

We turned off Coming 2 America after about 20 minutes. Terrible.

Actually, the more accurate recounting is we started it, both fell asleep within 15 minutes, and turned it off when we woke up.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-22-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:27 PM   #3170
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post

Yeah. There are things for which I feel nostalgia. But having to go to a store to pick up and drop off a movie from a limited selection instead of having to push a few buttons to have almost every movie ever made instantly streamed is not one of them.

I could see nostalgia for a local indie video store that had a lot of local flavor. But the Blockbuster experience seems almost antiseptic by design.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #3171
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Yeah. There are things for which I feel nostalgia. But having to go to a store to pick up and drop off a movie from a limited selection instead of having to push a few buttons to have almost every movie ever made instantly streamed is not one of them.

I could see nostalgia for a local indie video store that had a lot of local flavor. But the Blockbuster experience seems almost antiseptic by design.

That is an interesting way to describe that mysterious room with the curtains that Blockbuster never had.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #3172
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Drive to Survive (Season Three) debuted on the weekend.

Like the first two seasons, it's phenomenal, even if you aren't a fan of F1 racing. Lots of behind the scenes politics and so much drama.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:53 PM   #3173
PilotMan
Head Coach

Drive to Survive is straight up amazing with all the access and interviews. If you followed the season it's double that.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:30 AM   #3174
Edward64
Head Coach

Kodachrome - enjoyed it. I thought the ending was fantastic.

Sound of Metal - couldn't get through it. The first part was annoying. I appreciated trying to tell the story of someone adjusting to severe hearing loss but I couldn't feel empathy for someone that put himself in that position.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:09 PM   #3175
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My wife and I have been binge watching Impractical Jokers, good lord that show is a riot.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:16 PM   #3176
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Drive to Survive is straight up amazing with all the access and interviews. If you followed the season it's double that.

I second this opinion. Last season was so full of drama. This series captures that and more. I have been getting into F1 over the last 4-5 years and this series just ups my enthusiasm for the sport. On the surface it seems the domination of Mercedes makes the sport bland but when you start to understand the amount of work and fighting that goes on to move up a spot or two in the mid-field this opens up a whole world of things to follow in the sport.

I liken my journey in learning and following F1 to my journey in learning and follow soccer clubs in Europe. You go in feeling let down by a game that finishes with only a couple of goals between the clubs only to learn to appreciate the battles on the pitch between the goals which leads to a whole new love for the sport. Same thing with being bored with Mercedes dominance only to learn to appreciate all that goes into the lesser teams battling to finish in the points and inch ahead of their rivals for a spot or two in the constructors championship.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:07 AM   #3177
Edward64
Head Coach

Philomena stars "M" Judi Dench as a woman that gave up child for adoption to a US couple, and how she gets help from ex-BBC reporter to find her child.

A nice, sometimes funny, sometimes sad story. Worth watching at least once.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:42 AM   #3178
sabotai
General Manager

Operation Varsity Blues - 6/10

About the college admissions scandal. It was well done, but it didn't tell me much that I didn't already know, and I barely paid attention to the scandal when it happened.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:26 AM   #3179
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Operation Varsity Blues - 6/10

About the college admissions scandal. It was well done, but it didn't tell me much that I didn't already know, and I barely paid attention to the scandal when it happened.

What interested me about the show was how the guy exploited the side door to get kids n college. Who would have thought coaches would vouch for a kid as an athlete and admissions let them in. Then the kid never shows up to practice. I thought that was an incredibly brilliant idea.

Last edited by tarcone : 03-28-2021 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:02 PM   #3180
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not sure whether this is streamable (yet) as it just premiered on PBS this weekend but it did appear that was an option when I pulled up the program profile page

Twyla Moves | American Masters | PBS

I'll just repurpose my FB post about it (and let's face it, the odds of me posting about Twyla Tharp would seem pretty damned small)

Quote:
fwiw, this was really quite good.

The subject matter is about as far from being in my interest as anything could get but as a documentary work, it's very well done.

The historical footage used was well chosen, the talking parts were informative and engaging, the iconic central character came across honest and candid, there really wasn't anything I saw (and I saw all but the very beginning I believe) that didn't work.

And despite being not remotely my thing, it was interesting.

The editing - given the vast amount of material that seemed to be available - is Emmy caliber stuff afaic.

If you have an interest in dance, it's a must see.

If you don't care for dance BUT enjoy well-crafted documentaries I highly recommend it.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:27 PM   #3181
pantera
n00b

Watched the first episode of Tales From The Loop on Amazon Prime. It's about a town where everyone works at an underground facility where top-secret experiments are done. My understanding is that each episode has a separate storyline dealing with a different set of people. First episode was quite good. If you were a fan of Black Mirror/Twilight Zone you'd like it.
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:45 PM   #3182
tarcone
Coordinator

3 days until Godzilla vs. King Kong comes out.

Been waiting for this one. On HBOMax

Old 03-31-2021, 02:34 PM   #3183
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The rollout of what seems like dozens of content owner streaming services is beyond annoying. It doesn't matter whether you've cut the cord or are still with cable/satellite, who is piling multiple $5/month charges on top of what you are paying for TV? Are that many people really paying for ESPN/Disney, HBOMax, Peacock, Paramount, Discovery, etc., on top of the basic channels they are paying for?

Whether I stay with DirecTV or tried to cobble together 2-3 streaming services to get the kind of coverage I get through DTV with multiple streaming services, there's no way I would then add another $30-50/month for these other "exclusive" services. I got ESPN+ and that's it, mainly to watch my daughter.

Aare they counting on this growing like cell phone service - no one ever imagined spending $300-400 for phone service, but here we are. I just don't get it.

The only thing it's creating in me is an active hatred for TV brands that appear to be funneling exclusive content away from their bread and butter stations.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-31-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:27 PM   #3184
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

For us, I find that it means we subscribe to a service for like a month or two a year, like renting a movie. But damned if I'm staying with one for a long period of time unless it's replacing something else. For instance, we started Disney+ last week, watched Wandavision and Soul, will be watching Mandalorian Season 2, probably Falcon and Winter Soldier, and then we'll drop it again- just like we did last year with Mandalorian Season 1 and a couple of other movies. We did the same with the free previews last year for CBS (Picard) and HBO (Watchmen).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-31-2021 at 03:29 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:20 AM   #3185
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I pay way too much for TV. We still pay for cable. Plus I subscribe to: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Max (though I don't have to pay extra because I have cable) and Disney+. I, also, have Apple TV (or whatever it's called), but I currently get that for free. I'll likely cancel before I need to pay for it.

Speaking of, I watched all three available episodes of Invincible on Amazon Prime. I quite like it so far.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #3186
Ksyrup

Same here. But there's always something that keeps us from cutting the cord. DVR space, certain channels one of us has to have, not to mention general technology learning curve issues that I know my wife would struggle with.

YouTube TV looks like it comes the closest, but they don't have everything we need. There's not one streaming service that can do everything we need that would cut our bill so drastically that I could make the switch without causing problems (or to offset the problems I would be creating by switching).

Outside of DirecTV, I pay for ESPN+ and Netflix. That's it. I don't count Amazon Prime because that's more of a side benefit we barely use for the primary shipping benefit.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #3187
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

For me, the accessibility has made movie watching far less of an "event" and more of a ho-hum, everyday thing. So when I say I'm nostalgic for something like Blockbuster, it's really the idea of a planned group movie night/event that I miss.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:56 AM   #3188
Edward64
Head Coach

Enjoyed the Helen Reddy story on Netflix "I am Woman". She was somewhat before my time but remember some of her hits in the 80's.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:51 AM   #3189
AlexB
Pro Starter

Just seen that The Serpent started on Netflix on Friday in the US.

It was a joint Netflix/BBC project, so was on over here last winter - I highly recommend this

An awesome series set in SE Asia in the 1970s. Very stylish, very well acted, and based on a very dark true story
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:54 PM   #3190
tarcone
Coordinator

We gut the cord years ago and have an antenna. We get about 45 channels. And there is everything. From movie channels to a home improvement channel to a channel that shows marathons of crime dramas. I do use my brothers Dish account to get fox sports and espn

Old 04-05-2021, 01:19 PM   #3191
pantera
n00b

Anyone want to win a legit $10,000,000 reward?

Then you need to solve the biggest robbery in history. Happened in 1990 in Boston. $500,000,000 worth of paintings. Still unsolved.

This Is a Robbery: The World's Biggest Art Heist | Documentary Trailer | Netflix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH18cKTmwZ8
Old 04-05-2021, 01:23 PM   #3192
Ksyrup

I put that on my "remind me" list.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #3193
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Invincible on Prime is something I can't recommend enough. If you like comics, give this a try.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:08 PM   #3194
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
Invincible on Prime is something I can't recommend enough. If you like comics, give this a try.

Agreed! Really enjoyed the first 4 episodes!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #3195
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Just seen that The Serpent started on Netflix on Friday in the US.

It was a joint Netflix/BBC project, so was on over here last winter - I highly recommend this

An awesome series set in SE Asia in the 1970s. Very stylish, very well acted, and based on a very dark true story

This looks interesting, but as a documentary. I don't need acting.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:18 PM   #3196
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
This looks interesting, but as a documentary. I don't need acting.

A reasonable point, but you are missing out on a really good show

The two main protagonists are brilliant, their accomplice is one of the most unsettling characters I’ve seen for a while, and the supporting cast is brilliant (the actor who plays Knippenberg deserves whatever award is given for supporting actor in a TV show). It doesn’t hurt that Jenna Louise Coleman is the co-star.

I’ve been to a lot of the places where the events took place as a solo traveller, so maybe it resonates a little more, but my recommendation stands
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:17 PM   #3197
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, there is a dearth of stuff I want to watch on Netflix, Prime and Hulu.

Sling TV is also sucking.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:13 PM   #3198
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post

Yep. And if, like me, you've never read this particular comic, at least make it through the credits of episode 1. Trust me. I was very much "ehh this is OK, kinda of like an updated X-Men animated series I guess?" up until that point.

Last edited by Groundhog : 04-06-2021 at 09:14 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:36 PM   #3199
Edward64
Head Coach

Re-watched Waterworld on Netflix. Watched it when it first came out in the 90's. It wasn't all that great but still entertaining. Think it got a bad rap back when. I like Kevin Costner.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:55 PM   #3200
pantera
n00b

Agree on Waterworld. It's a decent couch potato flick. It was just over-hyped because of how hot Costner's career was when it came out. I think people were hoping for the aquatic version of Star Wars.