Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #251
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Plus anyone with a wife like that and that can talk her into moving to Arkansas can recruit.

James wasn't wrong...
Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #252
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sonny Dykes to Cal

Sonny Dykes hired as California's new coach, sources say - ESPN
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #253
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Purdue hires Kent State's Darrell Hazell.

Purdue hires Darrell Hazell from Kent State
After watching both of his press conferences today I am very excited about hiring Hazell. It is important to note Purdue is giving him 2x more base salary ($2 million) than their previous HC and the AD mentioned he has all the money he needs to put together a staff. This is interesting because Purdue has a self-sustaining athletic department, meaning they don't take government money or fees from tuition. It looks like the donors really put some money into this hiring, or AD Burke decided to quit being a tight ass.

As for Kodos I sort of respect you as an IU football fan because 90% of the hilljacks in this state love their Hoosier basketball team, but come football season they are wearing their reversible ND jacket. Even in your "trending upwards year" and Purdue with a head coach better suited to be coaching Ball State (shit, they beat you too), we still beat you by 3 touchdowns.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #254
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Hmm. Another great offensive mind for the Pac-12, but fortunately his defenses have not been so good. Interesting hire for Cal...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #255
MrBug708
Head Coach

DeWayne Walker has been rumored for a spot as the DC
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #256
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Barry Alvarez to walk the sideline during the Rose Bowl as the temporary head coach.

4-0?

Last edited by mauchow : 12-05-2012 at 09:05 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #257
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Last edited by mauchow : 12-05-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #258
tarcone
Coordinator

Wisky loves their former Hawks.
Maybe he will pull a Bill Snyder and coach then next season.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #259
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Wisky loves their former Hawks.
Maybe he will pull a Bill Snyder and coach then next season.

Wisconsin hasn't had to worry about hiring someone since Barry originally came aboard.

I hate this, it's really the first time I've had to deal with a coaching change at the collegiate level as a fan. I was a freshman in college when Bo came aboard in basketball so I hadn't really gotten into things full force yet but I definitely remember Bielema coming aboard and what a strange process that was.

A coach leaving not because we have been sucking but because he's moving onto greener pastures (apparently) makes it kind of a crappy time. We've got a really good program with some great potential for next season with only six starters leaving (counting QB Phillips who may actually be returning and he isn't as good as the two guys sticking around and the two freshman coming aboard anyway).

So many crap tweets out there regarding Chris Peterson.. even local papers in Madison are saying Peterson will be interviewing on Monday. This is going to be a stupid few weeks leading up to the Rose Bowl. But now ESPN can drool over this story line with Barry coming back for one last hurrah..

Now we can only sit back and hope our recruiting classes stay intact.

Last edited by mauchow : 12-05-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #260
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Wouldn't a Chris Petersen hire be a massive clash of styles between his offensive philosophy and typical bludgeoning offensive style favored by Wisconsin? Didn't Michigan find this out the hard way with Rich Rodriguez?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #261
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Wouldn't a Chris Petersen hire be a massive clash of styles between his offensive philosophy and typical bludgeoning offensive style favored by Wisconsin? Didn't Michigan find this out the hard way with Rich Rodriguez?

Yeah, the Badgers have been averaging 1000 yards more rushing the past three years than Boise but it's not to say Peterson can't change the general philosophy but I'm not sure he'd want to with the RB's he's got in the stable along with the offensive line.. but if some miracle happened and he came here, I say do whatever the fuck you want to do if it's going to be successful.

Pointless to talk about really as he isn't coming here. I'd be thrilled to land him but my hopes are pretty much nil for him coming in.

Last edited by mauchow : 12-05-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #262
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post

Depends on how hell bent he would be to run BSU's style of offense. Let's not forget before Meyer met Tebow, he coached Alex Smith.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #263
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
As for Kodos I sort of respect you as an IU football fan because 90% of the hilljacks in this state love their Hoosier basketball team, but come football season they are wearing their reversible ND jacket. Even in your "trending upwards year" and Purdue with a head coach better suited to be coaching Ball State (shit, they beat you too), we still beat you by 3 touchdowns.

Yep. You should just bask in all those Rose Bowls and National Championships you have on the shelf, and leave the sucking in football to the IU fans. Why, between basketball and football, you have zero championships in my lifetime. Kudos.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #264
Kodos
Resident Alien

Old 12-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #265
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
And about have of our stupid fan bases wish. This was definitely not a stellar year for Bronco and I worry is too stubborn at times, but he is still a great fit for BYU and he has adapted in the past. Hopefully this last season was a fluke on terms of some of his decisions and he realizes he needs to upgrade a couple of coaching positions (RB and O-Line) and does so.

Hey, nobody that coaches is perfect, god knows there are decisions I wish I could have taken back over the years, but you live and learn. You here anything on Sitake?

And here you go...a quote in the recent DN article...

Mendenhall set the record straight when asked about the Colorado rumors. To wit:
"I didn't express any interest, haven't been contacted, didn't interview and didn't know I was a candidate," he said. "Other than that, I guess I'm a finalist, from what I've been told.
Kearsley and his mom asked Bronco about it as well. Word has it Kearsley is 100% BYU after the in home visit from Bronco, Doman and DuPaix.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #266
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Let's not forget before Meyer met Tebow, he coached Alex Smith.
...who ran the spread-option.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #267
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Word has it Kearsley is 100% BYU after the in home visit from Bronco, Doman and DuPaix.
That's not the reporting I've seen. Jake Worthen posted an interview with him tonight after his in-home with the BYU coaches, and Kearsley said he still has Oregon State on top with BYU and Washington tied at #2.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #268
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
...who ran the spread-option.

Honestly would have never guessed. He averaged around 3 yards per carry as a Jr. He had a decent average, 4.6, as a Sr. but he ran less and threw much more.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #269
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The spread-option is flexible - it can lean run-heavy, but it can also support a pass-first approach too (see Arizona this year under RichRod). At Utah Meyer was more balanced in his play-calling, but when he got Tebow at Florida he had a QB that could handle a heavier workload carrying the ball.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #270
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
The spread-option is flexible - it can lean run-heavy, but it can also support a pass-first approach too (see Arizona this year under RichRod). At Utah Meyer was more balanced in his play-calling, but when he got Tebow at Florida he had a QB that could handle a heavier workload carrying the ball.
He also had Chris Leak down there for the first national title.

I just hope Wisconsin (and everyone else) stays away from Bob Diaco until after the national title game.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #271
bronconick
College Starter

Isn't the real sticking point on Petersen in Boise that his son has some rare condition that the hospitals up there are really good with, which is why the UCLA job a year or two ago was of interest.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #272
MJ4H
Coordinator

Bielema's approval rating on message boards went from about 66% before his intro press conference to 95% after. Hope he wins games like he wins press conferences.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #273
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Bielema's approval rating on message boards went from about 66% before his intro press conference to 95% after. Hope he wins games like he wins press conferences.

I know it will be wait and see, but I think Malzahn is the better hire.

Strong says he's staying.

Charlie Strong to remain coach of Louisville Cardinals - ESPN
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #274
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Position Vacancy Listing
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #275
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yep. You should just bask in all those Rose Bowls and National Championships you have on the shelf, and leave the sucking in football to the IU fans. Why, between basketball and football, you have zero championships in my lifetime. Kudos.

You both have the same amount in the last 25 years now don't you?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #276
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

You are a sweetheart, Kodos

Last edited by INDalltheway : 12-06-2012 at 11:53 AM.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #277
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
You both have the same amount in the last 25 years now don't you?

Solid chance we get one in just few short months, sir. Also, there are rumors that Cody may stick around another year.

Number of known pedophiles on staff in the past 25 years? Syracuse 1, Indiana 0.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-06-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #278
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Number of known pedophiles on staff in the past 25 years? Syracuse 1, Indiana 0.

Reminds me of a quote from Chris Rock about taking credit for things you are suppose to be doing.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #279
Logan
Head Coach

I don't think this is considered a "rumor", but I did see someone mention Paul Rhoades as a potential name for Iowa State on Twitter. Would be a great move.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #280
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I like how Chryst is not a candidate at Wisconsin because he & Alvarez both think leaving Pitt after 1 season wouldn't be right. Nobody said anything about not thinking he's perfect for it & wouldn't love it. I guess it's like really, really wanting a woman. Then when you get with someone you like a lot she suddenly becomes available. You could split, but it's not right. Maybe down the line...

Guess we can cross Todd Graham off the list.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #281
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I don't think this is considered a "rumor", but I did see someone mention Paul Rhoades as a potential name for Iowa State on Twitter. Would be a great move.

Yeah iowa st would get a good one in him.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #282
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Woody Paige Reported That Colorado Hired A Football Coach. Colorado Has Not Hired A Football Coach.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #283
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Willie Taggert's name getting thrown around now for the Wisconsin job.. ties to Harbaugh at Stanford.. He's young.

This is going to be a rough two weeks or so when the hire is announced.

But now he's rumored to be possibly headed to USF.

Last edited by mauchow : 12-06-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #284
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Yeah iowa st would get a good one in him.

Damn it!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #285
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Looking like Butch Jones backed out of Colorado to take the Tennessee job.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #286
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

During Derek Doofus' stint at Tennessee, he only beat 2 teams that finished their season with 10 wins or more: I-AA Montana and Jones' Cincinnati Bearcats.

Three more seasons of being roadkill is my expectation for this hire.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #287
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like the Jones hiring may lead to Mizzou hiring Tennessee OC Jim Cheney as Mizzou's new OC.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #288
bhlloy
Coordinator

Colorado is never going to find someone close to Embree, WTF were they thinking there? Just waiting for the perfect candidate who has been in a coma for the last 15 years I guess.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #289
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
During Derek Doofus' stint at Tennessee, he only beat 2 teams that finished their season with 10 wins or more: I-AA Montana and Jones' Cincinnati Bearcats.

Three more seasons of being roadkill is my expectation for this hire.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I have no dog in the fight, but have followed Butch Jones' career pretty closely because he was at WVU before becoming a head coach and has/had been considered a potential WVU head coach.

He's only 44, has been a HC for 6 seasons, and has a career record of 50-27 with . Dooley is the exact same age, has also been a head coach for 6 seasons, and is 32-41 with one winning season.

Obviously, Tennessee is in a much more competitive situation, but they are also flushed with about as many resources and as nice of facilities as any program in the country. Cincinnati has been very good over the past ten years (and Dantonio and Kelly have both been successful since leaving), but it is a program that has a pretty low ceiling for a BCS-level program (#2 in the state, crappy stadium, horrible TV contract in the Big East).

He's obviously not Saban, but I suspect you'll be back in the 8-10 win range within those first three years and occasionally challenge for the title if he sticks around for awhile (I would guess, if he does well, he would be a very strong candidate at Michigan or Michigan State if/when those jobs open up).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #290
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
but they are also flushed with about as many resources

Alas, not any more Biggest debt load and smallest cash reserve (per the AD) of any team in the SEC.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #291
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
he would be a very strong candidate at Michigan or Michigan State if/when those jobs open up).

State will open up well before Michigan will.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #292
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Colorado is never going to find someone close to Embree, WTF were they thinking there? Just waiting for the perfect candidate who has been in a coma for the last 15 years I guess.
I dunno, I think Embree was in over his head. One of the guys they are reportedly looking at now - Mike MacIntyre - has been very, very impressive in rebuilding a nearly-dead San Jose State program.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #293
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

So many dumb reports going back and forth about Petersen interviewing Monday for the Badgers. One can only hope.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #294
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
So many dumb reports going back and forth about Petersen interviewing Monday for the Badgers. One can only hope.

Us UCLA fans have been down that clusterfuck of a road. I would say don't bother.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #295
molson
General Manager

I heard a rumor that Peterson was going everywhere.

But really, why would he go to the place where a guy just left to go to the place Peterson didn't want to go to?

Though, it is clear that Peterson has used these rumors over the years to increase his own salary. It'll be tough to offer him more relative to cost of living at this point.

Last edited by molson : 12-07-2012 at 04:49 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #296
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I heard a rumor that Peterson was going everywhere.

But really, why would he go to the place where a guy just left to go to the place Peterson didn't want to go to?

Though, it is clear that Peterson has used these rumors over the years to increase his own salary. It'll be tough to offer him more relative to cost of living at this point.

This whole bielema leaving Wisconsin smells bad for bielema. He was ripped a new one today on the dan patrick show. Clarifying what he meant winning championships and he said he meant conference championships which is dumb considering they've won three in a row. He ways The biggest reason he left is because his assistants kept leaving because Wisconsin couldn't pay them more or Wisconsin can't attract better names because of money limitations.

I wouldn't be surprised if his new wife just flat out didn't want to live in Wisconsin anymore. Thats how dumb this has gotten. He even told dan patrick that he didn't tell barry Alvarez because he didn't want barry to talk him into staying....

Last edited by mauchow : 12-07-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #297
molson
General Manager

I am kind of keeping track of this guy @HogManInLa, who very specifically reported that Arkansas recruits were told that Coach Peterson would be the next coach. It is nice to see that he's being called out on it on twitter, but his response is twofold - 1. he never said it was "fact", it was just what his "sources" told him; and 2. a general disparaging of the Boise St. program and stating that Peterson "settled" for the job there.

Edit: If I have time later we'll see which Wisconsin people are reporting this job interview. If it's not true, they should be called out for making up stories. This stuff is so silly. People make their living making things up, and are able to do it again and again and again with people buying their BS every time.

Last edited by molson : 12-07-2012 at 05:16 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #298
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

It may be the A.D. feeding these rumors to distract everyone from the real candidates. Thats the thought of a few people.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #299
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Looks like the Jones hiring may lead to Mizzou hiring Tennessee OC Jim Cheney as Mizzou's new OC.

Some competition there. He reportedly interviewed with NC State today for the same spot.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #300
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Looking like Butch Jones backed out of Colorado to take the Tennessee job.

Looks like a done deal.