Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #51
molson
General Manager

I love when the left gets all anti-big-government.

Yes, wikileaks is very probably a more honest, efficient, and comptent organization than the DoD. That's not surprising at all. I'm not sure that necessarily puts wikileaks in the moral clear. ("Hey, we gave the bloated, wasteful government a chance to do a bunch of work and mitigate the damage we cause - but they didn't, so don't blame us!")

Last edited by molson : 08-20-2010 at 05:44 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #52
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't see how this is a left vs right issue. Or did you just feel that the thread needed some partisian hackery to make you feel better?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #53
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I am amused by this but not as much as how the anti big-government right slurps up wasting trillions on endless war and domestic policing.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #54
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

Yes, wikileaks is very probably a more honest, efficient, and comptent organization than the DoD. That's not surprising at all. I'm not sure that necessarily puts wikileaks in the moral clear. ("Hey, we gave the bloated, wasteful government a chance to do a bunch of work and mitigate the damage we cause - but they didn't, so don't blame us!")

Is the better solution to allow the government to keep secret whatever they deem necessary, without question? How else would Wikileaks know what to redact?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #55
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Is the better solution to allow the government to keep secret whatever they deem necessary, without question? How else would Wikileaks know what to redact?

I think wikileaks might have a better handle on the war in Afghanistan than the government at this point.

I'm just saying, don't expect the federal government to be responsive. If wikileaks is fine with that, and they understand that what they put out potentially puts people at risk (and I have no idea if it really does), but that what they're doing is important enough to justify that, than fine. They're just being a little disingenuous if their stated plan is to put out tens of thousands of documents and rely on the government to clean up the mess.

Last edited by molson : 08-20-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #56
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think wikileaks might have a better handle on the war in Afghanistan than the government at this point.

I'm just saying, don't expect the federal government to be responsive. If wikileaks is fine with that, and they understand that what they put out potentially puts people at risk (and I have no idea if it really does), but that what they're doing is important enough to justify that, than fine. They're just being a little disingenuous if their stated plan is to put out tens of thousands of documents and rely on the government to clean up the mess.

If you ever hear an interview with Julian Assante it is quite clear what the reason for the leaks is. He makes no bones about his opposition to the Afgan war and the American empire. Feel free to agree or disagree with him but he has never hidden behind any fake intentions of why he released all those papers. He hopes that it will cause enough furor (i.e. Pentagon Papers) to end the American empire in the Middle East.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #57
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Just got a text message about the founder being charged for molestation and rape in sweden
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #58
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Just got a text message about the founder being charged for molestation and rape in sweden

I am always playing the role of the conspiracy theorist here on FOFC so I will leave this one to the rest of the board. Is he being set-up or right in the middle of the intense world media coverage and with the pentagon's watchful eye on him 24/7 did he decide to release the other documents and then to go out and commit rape?

Last edited by panerd : 08-21-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #59
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Who knows. Would be pretty damn easy to set him up, but dangerously obvious as well.

Who knows what went down. The guy is sort of a nut job, so no I wouldn't be shocked if he did this recently. But who know, maybe its something that happened years ago(if it happened at all).

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-21-2010 at 10:35 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #60
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Warrant canceled.
BBC News - Swedish rape warrant for Wikileaks' Assange cancelled
Not really informative.

No harm no foul right . I hate authorities.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #61
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Warrant canceled.
BBC News - Swedish rape warrant for Wikileaks' Assange cancelled
Not really informative.

No harm no foul right . I hate authorities.

I honestly think the governments are having a lot of trouble spreading propaganda nowadays with the internet. I also think we are headed towards an information shutdown for "national security purposes" sometime in the near future. Twenty years ago this guy wouldn't have even made a single newspaper in the United States and would have been killed by the next day. And even had he made the news this rape thing probably would have worked. This isn't to say that they haven't found another way that I am completely oblivious to for spreading disinformation just that a lot of the old tricks don't work so well when with a computer and an internet connection you can talk to a large portion of the world instantly.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #62
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Totally agree. Despite all the use, attention and awareness, the internet's true effect on mankind is still vastly underrated by most. Very interesting times.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #63
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Totally agree. Despite all the use, attention and awareness, the internet's true effect on mankind is still vastly underrated by most. Very interesting times.

I think they would love to shut it down but have no idea how to shut it down. If they just go total shutdown than all the casual facebook users, twitter followers, fantasy football players, yahoo games players will be up in arms and may actually decide to play a role in an uprising. The government doesn't want that. My guess would be some sort of cyber attack by a "terrorist" organization that makes it necessary for them to shutdown a lot of questionable sites. Or blanket regulation that to the casual news reader will seem aimed at Al Qaida and the bogeyman but will also shut down a lot of general dissent in this country. But you are right I don't think they have any control over this anymore and the internet may be the most powerful thing to have happened to the world and government oppression since the printing press. Not to say they won't try with bills like HEN10553, Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset Act.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #64
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Holy balls.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #65
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

For now the West is in a place where it still functions extremely well as a propaganda machine towards our rival's citizens. For the most part pure and self generated by the populace.

But the second our way of life changes and becomes less desirable, if the economy spirals towards catastrophe, there will be the risk of that advantage flipping sides. The question is if their attempt to regain control and lock things down is overt or covert. My feeling is the government will predict this change well before the public does and will covertly begin putting cotrols in place. We very well may already be at that point.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-21-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
i wouldn't be surprised if he wins a nobel peace prize

Posthumously I hope.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #67
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Is Assange the target of a U.S. smear campaign? – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

I only post this because cnn.com quoted a user from the something awful forums, even linked to it. Which I found fantastic.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-21-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #68
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Ah yes, this whole US smear campaign has the makings of a good conspiracy.

"Unless they can prove an event is NOT true then I must assume it IS true."

Intellectually lazy IMO.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #69
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What are we talking about, him being a rapist or there being a conspiracy.

It's not exactly JFK, moon landing or 9/11 here. I am not going to go right out and say, yeah, the US is behind it. But it's not like they'd have to try hard or expend many resources to make it happen.

I wish they gave a few more details on both why they went public with the accusation and then why they pulled it. The government can't say "Fucking rapist get in here", then make it go away with "Oops, NM, my bad." The only thing that does point to a smear is how bizarre and nebulous it's been thus far. Weird for such a major accusation with an internationally known person.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-21-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #70
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

Intellectually lazy IMO.
Extremely lazy.

Russell's teapot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #71
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Ah yes, this whole US smear campaign has the makings of a good conspiracy.

Intellectually lazy IMO.

Saw this on another board and shows my viewpoint about whether the benefit of the doubt goes to the governement or individuals.

"That government provides concentrated power and access to (other's) wealth in almost unlimited supplies, that it enjoys a monopoly of force and violence, that those employed and favored by it are not subject to the same laws as the rest of us, that rules are changes whenever desired -- even after the fact -- are all facts out in the open and cannot be disputed. No conspiracy theory needed.

Which is more of a stretch -- that those favored by such rules only think the whole day through of how they can help their fellow man in a kind, loving, altruistic manner, with all considerations fully transparent to public scrutiny -- in other words, every one of them more of a Christ-like character than Christ; or that they are spending their time in secret meetings closed to public view, considering ways to utilize their special "power" to further consolidate their own power and wealth?

Yes, one of these two camps is truly populated by the tin-foil-hat brigade. "

Last edited by panerd : 08-21-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #72
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Washington (CNN) -- The online leak of thousands of secret military documents from the war in Afghanistan by the website WikiLeaks did not disclose any sensitive intelligence sources or methods, the Department of Defense concluded.

"The initial assessment in no way discounts the risk to national security," Gates wrote. "However, the review to date has not revealed any sensitive intelligence sources and methods compromised by the disclosure."

The defense secretary said that the published documents do contain names of some cooperating Afghans, who could face reprisal by Taliban.

But a senior NATO official in Kabul told CNN that there has not been a single case of Afghans needing protection or to be moved because of the leak.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #73
molson
General Manager

That's the good news, the bad news is that he's not allowed to live in Sweden (though it probably has nothing to do with wikileaks - Sweden just understands that its easier to provide abundant government services if you know who the hell is in the country).

Also, he might have a thing for raping Swedish women....

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/1...s-founder.html

Last edited by molson : 10-18-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #74
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Iraq war logs: secret files show how US ignored torture | World news | The Guardian

Take 2.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #75
molson
General Manager

Tortured detainees, civilian deaths, nothing new there.

The parts about Iran funding the insurgency, and that those hikers were actually arrested in Iraq - sounds like they were leaked by the U.S.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #76
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sounds like the UK police are going to take the unprecedented step of entering the Ecuadorean embassy and take Assange into custody.

UK police descend on Assange's embassy refuge
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #77
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Sounds like the UK police are going to take the unprecedented step of entering the Ecuadorean embassy and take Assange into custody.

UK police descend on Assange's embassy refuge

Eh the US and UK only force other countries to follow international law. If it doesn't jibe with what they want to do fuck it. If someone else doesn't follow the same laws though who cares about a stupid thing like sovereignty?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #78
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Assange's supporters say the charges are trumped up and believe the US has secretly indicted him and would extradite him from Sweden.

This was curious, so I checked wikileaks and can confirm that the US hasn't secretly indicted him.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #79
JediKooter
Coordinator

Don't piss off the Ecuadorians...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #80
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I know that I stand on the opposite side of the fence as a lot of you guys on all of the NSA/Wikileaks/PRISM controversies but articles like this one just me wonder if we really have just lost our way with our priorities as a country. Sadly this will get just as much if not more play than the whole debate over the 4th amendment. This isn't news it belongs on TMZ or the National Enquirer. Who cares? Why is this front page news?

Bradley Manning wants to live as a woman, be known as Chelsea - CNN.com
Old 08-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #81
SackAttack
Head Coach

I don't think that's even new info; I want to say there were stories along those lines when he was first arrested.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #82
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I know that I stand on the opposite side of the fence as a lot of you guys on all of the NSA/Wikileaks/PRISM controversies but articles like this one just me wonder if we really have just lost our way with our priorities as a country. Sadly this will get just as much if not more play than the whole debate over the 4th amendment. This isn't news it belongs on TMZ or the National Enquirer. Who cares? Why is this front page news?

Bradley Manning wants to live as a woman, be known as Chelsea - CNN.com

Just like how we found out everything nonsensical and pointless about Edward Snowden in the 72 hours after the leak, rather than focusing on the more important issues it illuminated.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #83
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just like we've spent Obama's entire presidency with people questioning if he was an American citizen. People like sensational crap, and it unfortunately is now channeled to us through supposedly legitimate news sources who have to fill 24 hours of coverage with something.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #84
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why is this front page news?

A month from now it probably isn't, but 24 hours (+/-) after the sentencing? And based on a statement released by the convicted criminal himself?

Following up would have been among the lead stories today regardless, this just happens to be the freshest angle about it.

Add in at least the possibility of the hormone therapy being at federal government expense (it could be) AND questions about whether this would get him out of Leavenworth for a women's prison (very doubtful) and there's stuff here that a sizable number of people want to know about.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #85
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Just like how we found out everything nonsensical and pointless about Edward Snowden in the 72 hours after the leak, rather than focusing on the more important issues it illuminated.

SI

Yep. And like I said I don't even mind people on the government side on these issues. (I disagree but the debate is healthy ) Sadly though the only thing the press gives us is Assange the rapist, Manning the transgender, Snowden's girlfriend the stripper. Is it what we want or what sells?

(And who knows if it is more the fault of the media or the consumer all I know is that it is sad either way)
Old 08-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #86
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
A month from now it probably isn't, but 24 hours (+/-) after the sentencing? And based on a statement released by the convicted criminal himself?

Following up would have been among the lead stories today regardless, this just happens to be the freshest angle about it.

Add in at least the possibility of the hormone therapy being at federal government expense (it could be) AND questions about whether this would get him out of Leavenworth for a women's prison (very doubtful) and there's stuff here that a sizable number of people want to know about.

I am sure our tax dollars are paying for all sorts of stupid things so I would have to say that paying for Bradley Manning's hormone therepy is not making me lose sleep at night. (Some of the stuff revealed in those documents... different story)
Old 08-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #87
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yep. And like I said I don't even mind people on the government side on these issues. (I disagree but the debate is healthy ) Sadly though the only thing the press gives us is Assange the rapist, Manning the transgender, Snowden's girlfriend the stripper. Is it what we want or what sells?

(And who knows if it is more the fault of the media or the consumer all I know is that it is sad either way)

And then one can argue if the media should be held to a higher standard than just "what is most profitable" but I know that one falls on deaf ears a lot

SI

Old 08-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #88
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And then one can argue if the media should be held to a higher standard than just "what is most profitable" but I know that one falls on deaf ears a lot

You don't even have to settle for that one.

If you made all the content equally profitable there's still the issue of "what will people watch".

The most high-minded presentation in the world accomplishes little if few people give a big enough damn to watch.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #89
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

SI

Wouldn't this just inspire more leakers?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #90
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Wouldn't this just inspire more leakers?

Depends. If you're whistleblowing for altruistic reasons, you wouldn't care about getting your name in the press (and the fact that it might would be a deterrent). You want the notoriety to go to the story and what you are trying to warn the public about.

But if you just want 15 minutes of fame, yes.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-22-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #91
Dutch
"Dutch"

The biggest problem I have with giving this guys "objective" the limelight is that there are a lot of idiots in the government (and a few) that might think they are doing the right thing by going to China or Russia. The media won't care what is leaked and will be damned sure to print it first and question the logic of it later.

Last edited by Dutch : 08-22-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #92
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Depends. If you're whistleblowing for altruistic reasons, you wouldn't care about getting your name in the press (and the fact that it might would be a deterrent). You want the notoriety to go to the story and what you are trying to warn the public about.

But if you just want 15 minutes of fame, yes.

I think most leakers these days want the 15 minutes. Snowden and Manning are massive narcissists.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #93
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I suspect both of you are probably true. However, I don't think we have a really good view of either as things get so distorted in the public media view.

SI

Old 06-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #94
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Thousands of documents release showing spending of Saudi monarchy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10334541.html

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-22-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #95
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Thousands of documents release showing spending of Saudi monarchy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10334541.html

I had a good friend who grew up all over the Middle East and Europe (his Dad was a contractor). Says Saudi Arabia is by far the worst country he's ever been in from a humanity perspective.