Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-15-2015, 11:41 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

NFL Week 15

Are you ready for some football?

Basically this season for me as a Jaguars fan as been "Holy Crap Bortles! You don;t suck!" And then Holy Crap for the Allens and Telvin Smith as well. I would love to see Oakland and Jacksonville as forces in the AFC in teh future, and meet some day in teh AFC Championship game - so many stories. From Oakland's ex-OC as ours to Del Rio the former Jax HC as theirs and then the drafts where we took someone when people thought we should take a certain Mack, and then how those players have been. Lots of fun stories!

But that's for two or three years from now. For today, who are you rooting for this week? Any major teams you think are pulling a funky upset?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:42 PM   #2
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The fact that the Jags could still win the AFC South is very very sad.

I have little faith in my Colts at this point.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:03 AM   #3
TroyF
Coordinator

Just think about that division in a couple of years. Andrew Luck, Blake Bortles and Marcus Marriota battling it out for the division title? The division is going to be brutal. After a year or two of that, the Texans will get a high pick and we could potentially end up with a division having 4 franchise level QB's. Unbelievable.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:18 AM   #4
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I just hope that Andrew Luck has enough internal organs to compete for a division title.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:33 AM   #5
Radii
Head Coach

I'd really like to see an Eagles win over Arizona. The Panthers just had too many injury scares last week. Need to get that 1 seed locked up so they can rest some folks.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:38 AM   #6
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'd really like to see an Eagles win over Arizona. The Panthers just had too many injury scares last week. Need to get that 1 seed locked up so they can rest some folks.

I would not
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:56 AM   #7
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Just think about that division in a couple of years. Andrew Luck, Blake Bortles and Marcus Marriota battling it out for the division title? The division is going to be brutal. After a year or two of that, the Texans will get a high pick and we could potentially end up with a division having 4 franchise level QB's. Unbelievable.

That's been the AFC North for a while now.

Except for the Browns.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
But that's for two or three years from now. For today, who are you rooting for this week? Any major teams you think are pulling a funky upset?

The Chiefs remaining schedule has nothing but 'funky upset' possibilities. They're in the drivers seat for the top wildcard (and could still win the division), but they playoffs have already started for the Chiefs. With this schedule, they just have to keep winning.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:36 AM   #9
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Saints host the Lions Monday night in a game that will have a real impact on the fantasy playoffs, even as it means nothing to the NFL playoffs.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

NFL 1985 Playoff Schedule - NFL.com

It's kinda fun looking through old playoff results on NFL.com, but couldn't they include the team logos that were in use at the time of the game?
Old 12-17-2015, 08:54 PM   #11
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What in the name of all things holy is wrong with my TV tonight? Those uniforms are awful.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Color Rush Thursday. It's a new Nike promotion that will be every Thurs game next year. I dig the rams gear
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:22 PM   #13
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
NFL 1985 Playoff Schedule - NFL.com

It's kinda fun looking through old playoff results on NFL.com, but couldn't they include the team logos that were in use at the time of the game?

FOFL > NFL
Old 12-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #14
bhlloy
Coordinator

Wonder what would happen if the Bucs special teamers went that apeshit every time Jameis threw the ball 10 yards over his receivers head?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:08 PM   #15
Dutch
"Dutch"

Love Jameis. He's the leader and he brings some fire to the team. It's a different type of leader, but I like his style.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:15 PM   #16
bhlloy
Coordinator

Showing up your special teamers when your inaccuracy is a large reason you are losing isn't a good look, sorry. He's come across whiny and petulant tonight imo.

Although that was a horrific decision by Lovie to take the 3 points there. I would be pissed at that as well
Old 12-17-2015, 10:24 PM   #17
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Showing up your special teamers when your inaccuracy is a large reason you are losing isn't a good look, sorry. He's come across whiny and petulant tonight imo.

Although that was a horrific decision by Lovie to take the 3 points there. I would be pissed at that as well

As a Bucs fan, I'm basing my thoughts on the entire body of work...not one moment in time...it's his style.

Check out the video in this article, gives a little bit more insight into Jameis as a competitor.

Bucs GM impressed by maturity of Jameis Winston, Ali Marpet - NFL.com

During Training Camp, the OL coach pulled the first team to run gassers and Winston flipped the ball to Mike Glennon. The coaches asked where he thought he was going...he said, "We screwed up, so I'm running gassers with my line."
Old 12-17-2015, 11:40 PM   #18
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Color Rush Thursday. It's a new Nike promotion that will be every Thurs game next year. I dig the rams gear

Just saw a picture from the game. Those were some eyesores for both teams.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:05 AM   #19
Dutch
"Dutch"

I saw "Mustard vs Ketchup"....

NFL looks like total sell-outs with these awful uniforms.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:15 AM   #20
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Remember five years ago when everything was chrome?

Now it's bold primary colors. I've seen enough of Android's color pentagons this year to last a lifetime.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:24 AM   #21
mckerney
Coordinator

The NFL isn't going to be happy until Thursday night games are completely unwatchable.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:56 AM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
The NFL isn't going to be happy until Thursday night games are completely unwatchable.

Well, every Thursday game next year will be some derivative of this. Get ready. Nike is excited to turn out some new uniform concepts specifically for these games.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:08 AM   #23
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, every Thursday game next year will be some derivative of this. Get ready. Nike is excited to turn out some new uniform concepts specifically for these games.

That frees up Thursday night for me.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:22 AM   #24
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
As a Bucs fan, I'm basing my thoughts on the entire body of work...not one moment in time...it's his style.

Check out the video in this article, gives a little bit more insight into Jameis as a competitor.

Bucs GM impressed by maturity of Jameis Winston, Ali Marpet - NFL.com

During Training Camp, the OL coach pulled the first team to run gassers and Winston flipped the ball to Mike Glennon. The coaches asked where he thought he was going...he said, "We screwed up, so I'm running gassers with my line."

Wow, so he really has turned over a new leaf.

No, wait, what's that?

Oh, yeah, he still raped that one girl. So he's still a dick.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:28 AM   #25
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
FOFL > NFL

Absolutely.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #26
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

No, wait, what's that?

You know what, I think he did rape that girl. Wanna go with me to go take him to jail? No? Then shut the fuck up and root for touchdowns.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #27
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Still going strong with my Yahoo pick'em, having moved up to tied for 20th overall now...

But week 15 has another bunch of head case games. I'm still flip-flopping about the New York teams this weekend, I think the Giants can upset the Panthers, while the Jets seem capable of ruining their playoff hopes against Romoless Cowboys. Not to mention the Colts/Texans, Bills/Redskins and Jaguars/Falcons games, in all of them where both teams are fighting to stay alive, while all involved are capable of choking in Chicago Bears fashion. Decisions, decisions...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #28
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
You know what, I think he did rape that girl. Wanna go with me to go take him to jail? No? Then shut the fuck up and root for touchdowns.

I may be in the minority, but I simply cannot root for assholes. Even if they are on my team.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #29
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I may be in the minority, but I simply cannot root for assholes. Even if they are on my team.

If I decided to care about this, I would just stop following the sport.

EDIT: I hope I shouldn't need to specify this, but given the way many FOFC discussions go I'm gonna go ahead and do so in advance. I'm not condoning any of the horrible shit Winston did in college. The fact that he very likely got special treatment b/c of who he was is horrible. I would like to see harsher penalties for violent crimes committed by NFL players instead of what currently happens today. But the fact is that I enjoy watching the sport and choose to separate the two things apart. If I were unable to do so I don't see how it would be possible to enjoy the sport at all, and I would stop watching.

Last edited by Radii : 12-18-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #30
Thomkal
Head Coach

If anyone was going to beat the Panthers, it would be this week given that Stewart is out and Olsen may not be at 100% (listed as Probable). Very interested to see who wins the Josh Norman/Odell Beckham matchup.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #31
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
If I decided to care about this, I would just stop following the sport.

EDIT: I hope I shouldn't need to specify this, but given the way many FOFC discussions go I'm gonna go ahead and do so in advance. I'm not condoning any of the horrible shit Winston did in college. The fact that he very likely got special treatment b/c of who he was is horrible. I would like to see harsher penalties for violent crimes committed by NFL players instead of what currently happens today. But the fact is that I enjoy watching the sport and choose to separate the two things apart. If I were unable to do so I don't see how it would be possible to enjoy the sport at all, and I would stop watching.

I totally understand. It'd be impossible to root for pretty much any team if I was too strict about this. I try to focus on the Peyton Mannings rather than the Bill Romanowskis.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #32
Butter
Coordinator

My comment was mostly directed at the headline "Bucs impressed by maturity of Jameis Winston".

Give me a fuckin' break.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #33
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Quote:

No, wait, what's that?

That's pretty much been Jameis since Day 1 at FSU though too... immature/asshole off the field, fiery leader with a helmet on. He was a leader on a loaded FSU team as a Freshman, and appears to have the same respect from his teammates as a rookie on Tampa. Whether he raped the girl or not I don't know - it seems to be exactly the unfortunately all too common situation of a drunk freshman girl and a he said/she said over whether the sex was consensual - and we'll never know unless Jameis admits guilt or she admits making it up. I do think the other two incidents (crab legs, yelling Fuck Her Right In The Pussy) were pretty overblown and signs of immaturity more than bad moral fiber. But he's always had the respect of his teammates, so I'll trust their judgment on his sideline demeanor. (plus honestly it's really not that different than what a Tom Brady or Phillip Rivers does at times)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #34
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

I'm glad you stick to your guns on that. I'd like to say I'm the same way but I was mad at Ray Lewis and I enjoyed his play...I was mad at Mike Vick, but I enjoyed his play...I see a player with specific skill-sets...a uniform...a number...for the most part that is. I am not thrilled with players like Hardy or Vick or Ray Lewis...but at the end of the day, they got to put uniforms on and either play for our teams or against our teams.

But, I could be in the minority. I liken football to football, not day-time soaps. I'm not in it for the off-field drama like ESPN is. Especially when it's my team and the QB in question is the only hope this team has for another 5 years...I don't have the time or luxury to take 10 or 15 years off waiting for Winston to retire because Winston is an "asshole". At the end of the day, I am a Bucs fan and that priority tops pretty much all else in the wonderful world of sports.

Last edited by Dutch : 12-18-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #35
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
My comment was mostly directed at the headline "Bucs impressed by maturity of Jameis Winston".

Give me a fuckin' break.

To be fair, the bar for his maturity level was pretty damn low during the pre draft build up. It is early but the fact that he is not Johnny Manzel 2.0 (remember those comparisons) is worthy of that headline.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #36
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I totally understand. It'd be impossible to root for pretty much any team if I was too strict about this. I try to focus on the Peyton Mannings rather than the Bill Romanowskis.

Yeah, definitely. And I know you've posted about this many times over the years in many different situations, I admire your consistency on the matter (compared to most folks who let the team a player plays for impact their judgement of their personality far, far too much).
Old 12-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #37
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I loved the Rams jerseys.. and the game wasn't too bad either.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #38
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I had this issue when a popular player from my College was drafted by teh Jags. This guy was one of my residents, and he was a pure, total, dick. I had to remove him from my building, and you know it's a major issue when you kick out a football star, and the team let's you. And what do I do then? I decided to keep rooting for my team, but not him. Never, ever, ever, ,him.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:00 AM   #39
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Clinton Portis is broke...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...er-500000-each
Old 12-19-2015, 07:45 AM   #40
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I had this issue when a popular player from my College was drafted by teh Jags. This guy was one of my residents, and he was a pure, total, dick. I had to remove him from my building, and you know it's a major issue when you kick out a football star, and the team let's you. And what do I do then? I decided to keep rooting for my team, but not him. Never, ever, ever, ,him.

Well, shit, we're all on the same page then. If you can NOT root for Jameis Winston but you CAN root for the Bucs to score TD's (and ultimately, Winston by proxy) then who cares? It pretty much invalidates the entire faux-rage when you won't root for a dude but you will root for the dude if he has the football...

Last edited by Dutch : 12-19-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #41
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I saw this irrelevant, but interesting bit of information,

The last time an Alabama QB started and won and NFL game was November 15, 1987.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #42
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There's an NFL game on tonight?
Old 12-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #43
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There's an NFL game on tonight?

that depends on what the definition of "NFL" and "game" is.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #44
molson
General Manager

The drunks here at the downtown boise bars are super into this cowboys game now that Kellen Moore is in at QB.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:50 PM   #45
bhlloy
Coordinator

This is a very Jets way to blow the playoffs
Old 12-19-2015, 10:30 PM   #46
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Is that a very Jets way to mak the p;layoffs then?

Old 12-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #47
bob
College Starter

The Lions need to run the table to avoid an 11th season since 2001 with six wins or fewer.

It is fun being a Lions fan
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #48
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
The Lions need to run the table to avoid an 11th season since 2001 with six wins or fewer.

It is fun being a Lions fan
There's nothing special about that, the Cleveland Browns already clinched that same feat two weeks ago, while the Oakland Raiders are back to back to back losses away from the same accomplishment. The Buffalo Bills are the worst here though, being the only team in that timespan without a trip to the playoffs.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #49
frnk55
High School Varsity

I just read the Staffords record against teams with a winning record is 3-32.
Ouch.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #50
sabotai
General Manager

Norman gets away with something that was a borderline personal foul on Beckham on the Giants first drive. Beckham returns the favor on the Giants 2nd offensive drive (and took his helmet off) and still no flag. This could get ugly.

After the commercial, they showed the referee looking like he was reading the riot act to both head coaches.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote