Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-14-2018, 07:08 PM   #251
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Why is he going for the big hit on that? That play is going to be haunting him.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #252
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Holy shit.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #253
kingfc22
Head Coach

One job to do...
Old 01-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #254
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That safety just did the one thing he could not do.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #256
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

HOLY SHIT! Most unreal ending I've seen in a while
Old 01-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #257
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Everyone clear the field please? We have to finish the game.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #258
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Guess the safety was trying to make the highlights with the big hit... mission accomplished, he's on the highlights...
Old 01-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #259
Kodos
Resident Alien

That was... unexpected.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #260
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Safety not only needlessy committed, but delivered a perfect block on the only other guy who could have made the tackle.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:14 PM   #261
bhlloy
Coordinator

That might be the worst individual play in the history of the NFL
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #262
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Reminds me of when the Ravens beat the Broncos a few years back in the playoffs.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #263
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I'm always amazed at the lack of situational awareness by pro athletes.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #264
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Yikes, took the knee? Wasn't the spread 5.5? LOL
Old 01-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #265
bhlloy
Coordinator

He didn’t even not make the hit, he ducked out of the way. That is just unbelievable. Other than Leon Lett I’ve never seen anything like that.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #266
tarcone
Coordinator

Wow. Crazy. And the NFL makes you snap the extra point. Vegas anyone?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #267
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I hate it when they try to hit with the shoulder and not tackle. Don't they teach basic tackling anymore for DBs or is that too uncool to do??
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #268
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Holy shitballs. That shit brought tears to my eyes.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #269
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hell of a play to make the grab, but that safety really borked it.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #270
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Wow. Crazy. And the NFL makes you snap the extra point. Vegas anyone?

There's no good way to write this rule, because if they'd scored and it was a 1 point difference after the touchdown, a PAT block runback would win the Saints the game. You can't really have a conditional, "if the team scoring is up by more than x points with 0:00, they can decline to kick the PAT or conversion." And you certainly don't want refs exercising that discretion either.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-14-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #271
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The throw by Keenum was pretty damn choice as well. Now, there's a pretty good chance that the kick might have been missed if the DB did what he was supposed to do (it would have been around 50-52 yards I believe), but with 10 seconds left, he throws a 35 yard perfectly placed ball that would allow the receiver to get out of bounds (allowing them to set up whatever hashmark they needed as they still had a TO on the scoreboard)

If that play was made by the DB, we'd be talking about Keenum more then we are
Old 01-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #272
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Unbelievable. Keenum, Foles, Bortles and Brady. One of these things is not like the others.

Who would have thought that the 2015 Rams had two Super Bowl calibre quarterbacks on their roster?

It's also guaranteed to be an historic Super Bowl... either one franchise winning their first championship or the Patriots tying the record. Three feel good stories and one other story that probably very few people outside of the Patriots fan base want to see.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:43 PM   #273
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Same thought here. Crazy how he missed and took out the only teammate who could make a play.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #274
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
There's no good way to write this rule, because if they'd scored and it was a 1 point difference after the touchdown, a PAT block runback would win the Saints the game. You can't really have a conditional, "if the team scoring is up by more than x points with 0:00, they can decline to kick the PAT or conversion." And you certainly don't want refs exercising that discretion either.

It seems like a pretty simple addendum to add - if the outcome of the play can have no bearing on the outcome of the game (3+ point differential after the score in question) that the scoring team can choose not to attempt the point after.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #275
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The throw by Keenum was pretty damn choice as well. Now, there's a pretty good chance that the kick might have been missed if the DB did what he was supposed to do (it would have been around 50-52 yards I believe), but with 10 seconds left, he throws a 35 yard perfectly placed ball that would allow the receiver to get out of bounds (allowing them to set up whatever hashmark they needed as they still had a TO on the scoreboard)

If that play was made by the DB, we'd be talking about Keenum more then we are

No timeouts left. No doubt that it was a very good throw, although arguably still slightly too far towards the middle of the field. There's a chance that Diggs gets tackled in bounds there and the game is over.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #276
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Non-dola edit: Correction, I saw the video the wrong way (I was ill, missed it live) I thought the indicator was that they had a timeout left. Still, great throw
Old 01-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #277
Butter
Coordinator

Best explanation I heard was dude thought he might get a PI flag if he hit him and was trying to avoid him last second. Maybe???
Old 01-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #278
Thomkal
Head Coach

And here I was all ready to come on here and console the losing Viking fans...
Old 01-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #279
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Just an example of coaches trying to overcoach. The Vikings were in control of that game until they got too far ahead the coaches changed the gameplan. Koodos to the Saints for not quitting and thank god one of them late game heroics finally went in our favor. Still not sure how that happened,
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #280
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Best explanation I heard was dude thought he might get a PI flag if he hit him and was trying to avoid him last second. Maybe???
I think based off Payton's comments and how aggressively the underneath guys were playing the sideline on the previous play that he was concerned about getting to the outside of the receiver and not letting him get out of bounds at all costs... unfortunately just forgot that you need to protect vertically too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Yikes, took the knee? Wasn't the spread 5.5? LOL
I was laughing out loud when the Saints had like 8 players out there including the punter at nose tackle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
It seems like a pretty simple addendum to add - if the outcome of the play can have no bearing on the outcome of the game (3+ point differential after the score in question) that the scoring team can choose not to attempt the point after.
Yeah, this seems very simple. If it's 3+ points and there are no seconds left on the clock, there's no need to kick it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Jacksonville is much better than Tennessee. The Jag finished tied for second in the NFL in point differential at +149 behind only the Patriots and Eagles. The Titans were a -22.

Jacksonville should also be able to do a much better job at getting pressure on Tom Brady than Tennessee did.

The New England defense had the second worst yards per rush attempt allowed which also bodes well for Jacksonville, assuming that Fournette is healthy. That's a big assumption though because he did not look to be running very well in the second half against Pittsburgh.

Obviously the big concern is Bortles versus Belichek/Patricia. I don't think the Jags need Bortles to win the game for them however, only not to lose it. As long as he protects the football, makes good decisions and completes the passes he should complete, then the run game and the defence are good enough for them to win.

While I think the Pats will win, I think the game will be much closer than people think.
I agree with most of this. As long as Fournette is healthy I think Jacksonville matches up with us much better than the Steelers did. (And the forecast isn't for extreme cold or snow at this point.) But on the other hand it's still Blake Bortles on the road against Bill Belichick, so I assume he will turn it over a couple times, and if that happens early it could snowball. That initial 9/9.5 point line does seem a little high to me, but I also would just never bet money on Blake Bortles against Bill Belichick.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #281
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If you haven't seen Diggs post-game interview (they finally caught up with him I guess, and brought him out of the tunnel to the end zone), do yourself a favor & watch it.

One of the more ... interesting (heh) "give the glory to God" interviews I've seen, and I mean that in a "hey, it was honest emotion" way.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-14-2018 at 11:09 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #282
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

DB just needs to stay upright and he catches Diggs as he goes to the ground. Tackled inbounds, Vikes never get another play off, game over.

Unreal how things turned in that game.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #283
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I didn't notice it yesterday, but a ref threw a flag on the Vikings for excessive celebration after the TD.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #284
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I didn't notice it yesterday, but a ref threw a flag on the Vikings for excessive celebration after the TD.

I was laughing at that when we were watching replays. My first thought watching the replay was "I hope everyone in that direction was paying attention when Diggs tossed his helmet, because that would hurt." Looking in that direction I saw the ref toss the flag.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #285
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Booooo Steelers. Booooo.

I wanted to be pissed and upset next weekend, not this weekend, and you blew it!

Surely the expectation of your team, at home, in the playoffs, where they should have an advantage, both in quality and location isn't above board. The expectation that you can beat the Pats after losing to them by a few feet sets the tone, that you should face them again.

As I've said all year. This team is overrated. They are quite possibly the worst Pit team of the past few and clearly played more like a #5 seed than #2 all year long. The team seems to have lost its way, the loss of Shazier notwithstanding, at the professional level, even his loss shouldn't result in the team looking like a poor D1 school on that side of the ball.

The year is over. I'm not really that upset about it, I'm more pissed that the manner in which it ended looks awfully similar to the way it's ended in the last few years, and that's with a loss, where a glaring hole in the team was exposed over and over and over. I'm all for Tomlin keeping his job, however, I believe that he needs to adapt his style and recognize that his primary style isn't as effective as it should be and he should actively be looking to improve himself and his coaching staff.

Exactly what I was talking about yesterday.

Has Pittsburgh Steelers' Super Bowl Window Come to a Close? | Bleacher Report

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #286
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Nothing is going to change. They'll take their 5th first round linebacker in 6 years. I mean some day they'll get it right!!!!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #287
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Yeah, this seems very simple. If it's 3+ points and there are no seconds left on the clock, there's no need to kick it.

One explanation I've read for this is that point differential is a conceivable tie breaker, and it's unfair to take a point opportunity away that is earned (and OT is distinguishable because a TD by rule wins the game, whereas in regulation it doesn't). The odds of that being an issue are minuscule, and I guess you could make it a playoff-only rule to skip it extra point at the end, but I also don't think it's a big deal to just take that last snap. I don't mind me an occasional awkward play. I remember years ago the Dolphins not returning to the field in a situation like that so Pete Carroll, coaching the Patriots at the time, just went for two.

Last edited by molson : 01-15-2018 at 02:28 PM.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #288
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Did they throw one on the cameramen too?

Quote:
Steelers management/fans remind me a little of the Boston Bruins. Electric young skill position players in a league that's trending that way, but for some reason they're obsessed with wanting to be "tough", and "blue collar", and "old school", or whatever buzzwords they want to use. They were a top 3 offense all year, Roethlisberger just put up 469 yards, 5 TD's and 42 points on a top 5 defense, but he and the OC are the problem? (Granted, I do think Haley has issues, particularly in their 2 minute drill execution and going away from Bell at times.)

They do have a big decision that Bell is forcing them to make on whether to commit that much of their salary cap to a RB or to save that money to work on their defense, but they also seem loathe to sign outside free agents, and letting Bell go without using the money elsewhere probably would at least temporarily close their window and Roethlisberger does only have X years left (though, he is only 35 and Brees/Brady are still going strong much older than him). Patriots aren't going anywhere, Jaguars seem like they're here to stay a contender (especially if they sign a better veteran QB), but Pittsburgh still looks like a top 3 AFC team, and that pretty automatically makes you a Super Bowl contender imo.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #289
PilotMan
Head Coach

There's no way they are going to commit to Bell. No way at all. I wouldn't. He's simply not worth the money he thinks he is.

Like Steam?

Old 01-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #290
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
There's no way they are going to commit to Bell. No way at all. I wouldn't. He's simply not worth the money he thinks he is.
I haven't followed it too closely. He does seem like he's demanding exorbitant money, but I also completely understand his point that with the workload Pittsburgh places on him he needs/deserves long term security.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #291
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd just pay Bell and make sure I could get out of it in 3 years. 5/70 or something. He's worth that.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #292
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think they've already offered him top level money, but he feels like he deserves combo WR/RB money, meaning the top paid offensive player in the league. AB is worth more, imo. He has missed so much time at critical points of his career so far, from the suspensions to the untimely injuries. He's really, really good, but man, there are playmakers to be had at RB for a much better price and younger.

Like Steam?

Old 01-16-2018, 06:52 AM   #293
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If you haven't seen Diggs post-game interview (they finally caught up with him I guess, and brought him out of the tunnel to the end zone), do yourself a favor & watch it.

One of the more ... interesting (heh) "give the glory to God" interviews I've seen, and I mean that in a "hey, it was honest emotion" way.

I didn't see the interview, but was he also giving the glory to God while standing on the bench for a solid 60 seconds, arms crossed in a pose in front of about 25 cameramen?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #294
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
One explanation I've read for this is that point differential is a conceivable tie breaker, and it's unfair to take a point opportunity away that is earned (and OT is distinguishable because a TD by rule wins the game, whereas in regulation it doesn't). The odds of that being an issue are minuscule, and I guess you could make it a playoff-only rule to skip it extra point at the end, but I also don't think it's a big deal to just take that last snap. I don't mind me an occasional awkward play. I remember years ago the Dolphins not returning to the field in a situation like that so Pete Carroll, coaching the Patriots at the time, just went for two.

Honestly, if you're worried about point differential don't lose the damned game.

The bolded part is enough for me though - the end of that game was horribly awkward and unnecessary.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:07 PM   #295
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Honestly, if you're worried about point differential don't lose the damned game.

The bolded part is enough for me though - the end of that game was horribly awkward and unnecessary.

I thought it was awesome, when else will you see a punter at nose tackle...
Old 01-16-2018, 11:51 PM   #296
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So apparently minority ownership in the Steelers is pushing to remove Tomlin. I doubt they make a move now, but at least people recognize that he makes some really piss poor decisions. And he often times does not have his team prepared for games that they should win.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #297
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Even if you got rid of Tomlin, is there anyone better to replace him?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #298
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Even if you got rid of Tomlin, is there anyone better to replace him?

I hear Ben McAdoo is available...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #299
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I hear Ben McAdoo is available...

Better hurry-Cleveland is interested in him.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #300
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So apparently minority ownership in the Steelers is pushing to remove Tomlin. I doubt they make a move now, but at least people recognize that he makes some really piss poor decisions. And he often times does not have his team prepared for games that they should win.

Don't know about Tomlin's future in Pitt, but Todd Haley is gone.

Todd Haley will not return as Pittsburgh Steelers OC - NFL.com

Also Pittsburgh related news, OLine Coach Mike Munchak has turned down a second interview with my beloved Cardinals...

Mike Munchak turns down second Cardinals interview - NFL.com