Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

NBA 2k15 Preview Thread

I've posted in another thread some info about the new MyLeague mode for NBA 2k15 which sounds amazing, but they also have an improved MyGM mode that sounds amazing (and moves away from the controversial Virtual Currency System.) I'm hoping MyLeague will also have some of these great features:

On Virtual Currency: "Visual Concepts is distancing itself from its controversial approach to injecting VC into the MyGM experience last year. In NBA 2K15 the VC is nearly stripped out of the mode in favor of a leveling system where you accrue XP for every action you take."

On Total Control: "In response to last year's backlash regarding basic functions being hidden behind the upgrade system, Visual Concepts has surfaced the vital skills that form the backbone of the GM experience. Every GM has full control of trades, free agency, player rotations, coach firings, etc. right from the start. "

A new Sim feature: "Strategy-minded players who prefer a hands-off approach should check out SimCast. This new system allows you to manage rotations, strategies, sliders, and points of emphasis before hitting the start button on a sim."

New Scouting System: "A new pro scouting system analyzes how your team stacks up against your next opponent. Feedback includes areas of weakness you can exploit in the rival team, an analysis of their biggest threats, the team stats, and suggested points of emphasis."

New Draftee Storylines: "Visual Concepts plans to surface several storylines throughout the year based on research it did on the last 20-30 draft classes. The various types of players you could encounter include flash-in-the-pan players who may be at their full potential already on draft day, late bloomers who rise up the draft board at the last minute, players with serious injury concerns that you may not know about unless you him in for a visit."

College Stats: "For NBA 2K15 Visual Concepts built an engine to simulate an entire college season, giving you the ability to look at the stats of all draft candidates."

Draft Combine is in: "NBA 2K15 adds the draft combine to the mix this year, where you may find out that a school is playing fast and loose with the height and weights they list in their game programs."

Better Player Progression: "Visual Concepts has done a significant amount of work on player progression this year. Before, all you could do was train them in the offseason. This year that progression is split between the offseason workouts and in-season training."

Better Offseason Logic: "Visual Concepts says the CPU-controlled teams in NBA 2K15 have improved logic this year when managing their roster balance. Teams should better recognize that they don't need to spend on another point guard if their team already has a viable starter and will know to use their resources elsewhere."

Some of the CPU controlled teams' intentions may be relayed via social media. If you read that a rival team brought in one of your targets for a last-minute interview, perhaps you should trade in front of them if you really covet the prospect.

These are just some of the major bullet points from the article that can be found here:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/nb...ise-modes.aspx

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-04-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
korme
Go Reds

Despite the problems with the first next-gen's iteration, I still got way more gameplay out of NBA2k14 than anything else, so naturally, I can't wait for this.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

Would have liked to see a look at the changes to MyPlayer/Career
Old 09-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Despite the problems with the first next-gen's iteration, I still got way more gameplay out of NBA2k14 than anything else, so naturally, I can't wait for this.

Same here. I'm very excited for this game.

Quote:
Would have liked to see a look at the changes to MyPlayer/Career

They have already said those changes will be announced soon.

Developers also said that all changes talked about above apply to MyGM or MyLeague.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Radii
Head Coach

It sounds like the PC Version is supposed to match the next-gen versions this year? If that's true, I'll be really happy!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
It sounds like the PC Version is supposed to match the next-gen versions this year? If that's true, I'll be really happy!

Yes. The PC version will be the same as the nextgen game.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Yes. The PC version will be the same as the nextgen game.

Intrigue.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Developers confirmed tonight that it will be possible for every team to start with their real life draft picks. I've always hated how trades were executed but the picks weren't moved.

This team is hitting it out of the park with all of their plans.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Elaborating on the combine. Love how they take into account colleges/players fudging their height/weight:

It's simulated. Not all players will choose to attend the Draft Combine. For the ones that do go, you will get to see results for things like their real height/weight/wingspan (which may be different that what they had been listed at), as well as results for 3/4 sprint, lane agility, vertical, bench press, standing 15 footer, moving 15 footer, standing college 3, moving college 3, standing NBA 3, moving NBA 3 (we opted to not do all the exact drills so we could tailor these to the attributes we have on the backend).
Old 09-05-2014, 12:41 AM   #10
nol
Banned

Last time I had an NBA 2k game of my own, I was able to dominate franchise mode by trading a 68 overall player for a 71, the 71 for a 74, and so on until I had whomever I wanted for my team. Needless to say, it's been a while. All this news has me seriously considering it for the PC.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:16 AM   #11
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I think it's time to finally get a PS4
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Some new info out today including that players will have many new ratings including pick and roll IQ rating for how well they execute it and defend it as well as a help defense IQ rating. Many others as well that should really help make players play more true to real life. Very exciting stuff. Here is a link to Kevin Love screen shot of some of the new ratings:

NBA 2K15 Screenshot #39 for PS4 - Operation Sports
Old 09-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

Looks awesome, but for those who intend to buy on PC I'd be a little cautious. With this many new additions and tweaks - and there are a ton - I'd be concerned with 2K's patch history on PC (ie. generally none).
Old 09-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Looks awesome, but for those who intend to buy on PC I'd be a little cautious. With this many new additions and tweaks - and there are a ton - I'd be concerned with 2K's patch history on PC (ie. generally none).

I'll get it on PC for sure but will almost certainly wait for a steam sale even if it was pristine on release.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

NBA 2k15 will feature a detailed face scanning process to put your face into the game using Xbox One Kinect or PS4's Eye Camera. I'm impressed with the sample results:

NBA 2K15 Introduces Stay in Your Face Technology, Scan Your Face, Bring it into Game - Operation Sports Forums

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-17-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #16
Groundhog
Coordinator

Looks excellent, first time I've ever considered buying an Eye Camera at least.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #17
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

When is this coming out?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #18
RainMaker
General Manager

I think it would be funny if they had a feature where players gained weight or slimmed down during their careers. Like "Raymond Felton came into camp out of shape". It would show he added 15 pounds and impact his ratings.

Same for other guys who slim down and get quicker and potentially weaker.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #19
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Looks excellent, first time I've ever considered buying an Eye Camera at least.

No kidding. Except I usually make a euro player, since the game can't pronounce my name. Wonder what I'll do.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #20
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
When is this coming out?

Oct 7
Old 09-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #21
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think it would be funny if they had a feature where players gained weight or slimmed down during their careers. Like "Raymond Felton came into camp out of shape". It would show he added 15 pounds and impact his ratings.

Same for other guys who slim down and get quicker and potentially weaker.

This is the kind of awesome stuff I bet 2K would include if not for the NBA likely revoking their license.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
When is this coming out?

October 7th... I put in for a vacation the week of the 6th to the 12th. Can't wait!
Old 09-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #23
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm getting married on the 18th, and took the week off before the wedding... I guess I'll squeeze in some wedding prep, but largely I'll be camped on my butt with my PS4.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #24
Groundhog
Coordinator

I was thinking to myself how awesome capture technology is going to be over the next 5-10 years... then got REAL depressed when I realised that at some stage I'm not going to want to scan my old-ass real life self into a video game.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #25
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I was thinking to myself how awesome capture technology is going to be over the next 5-10 years... then got REAL depressed when I realised that at some stage I'm not going to want to scan my old-ass real life self into a video game.

Why couldn't have this shit happened when I was 18 so I could literally live the dream?
Old 09-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Funny you mention that... I was all excited to scan myself and then thought - how realistic is it to have a 39 year old face starting his NBA career.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #27
Kodos
Resident Alien

Try your 44-year old face.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #28
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

77 badges in the game this year to help distinguish players:

Full List and Description of NBA 2K15 Badges - Operation Sports
Old 09-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #29
yeah826
High School JV

I preordered it for the PS4
yeah826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #30
Ramzavail
College Starter

Are we certain thats theres multiplayer franchise mode?
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #31
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

Here's the opening scene for MyCAREER
http://www.operationsports.com/news/...scan-and-more/

Looks promising

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:32 PM   #32
korme
Go Reds

So that's great. The new storyline is that you go undrafted. That was my biggest pet peeve with the myplayer modes of the year. For one, you always had to suspend belief because you and the real life guy would forever share the same draft spot. Went 1-8 last year? Cool, so did your teammate, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. Always a bit strange.

And more importantly, I always complained outloud to myself about how much I disliked the team I got drafted by.

This way, I mean, you're playing by yourself, you might as well be able to pick which team you'd like to play for.

Apparently you have to start on a 10-day contract in January though, so you have to impress to get another, and then a season long deal. Pretty sweet.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 AM   #33
Groundhog
Coordinator

I kinda hope it's less scripted, although given my face will be in there I'll probably stick with the one MyPlayer. Typically I get bored playing PG and create one of the guys from my FBCB team.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:40 AM   #34
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I kinda hope it's less scripted, although given my face will be in there I'll probably stick with the one MyPlayer. Typically I get bored playing PG and create one of the guys from my FBCB team.

I'm definitely going with a stretch 4 Kevin Love type of guy this time. I usually do PG, but end up averaging a triple double because I usually control the outcome of every possession. I get tired of that dominance, I would like to see if I can just be a key contributer. Should be fun...
Old 09-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #35
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

An article with an overview of the improvements:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/nb...-nba-2k15.aspx
Old 09-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #36
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
So that's great. The new storyline is that you go undrafted. That was my biggest pet peeve with the myplayer modes of the year. For one, you always had to suspend belief because you and the real life guy would forever share the same draft spot. Went 1-8 last year? Cool, so did your teammate, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. Always a bit strange.

And more importantly, I always complained outloud to myself about how much I disliked the team I got drafted by.

This way, I mean, you're playing by yourself, you might as well be able to pick which team you'd like to play for.

Apparently you have to start on a 10-day contract in January though, so you have to impress to get another, and then a season long deal. Pretty sweet.

The key for me will be whether you are still the starter by game 30 no matter what happens. Kind of killed the reality for me a few editions ago when I was drafted 1-20, rated somewhere in the low 50s and starting over a 94 rated Steve Nash in my rookie season.

Would love a game where you truly start as a nobody and have to scrape those playing minutes by impressing in practice and garbage time. Hell send me to the D league with all the other 53 rated players. Don't think that is what most people want out of the mode but it would be great to have a "realistic" mode as an option
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #37
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Would love a game where you truly start as a nobody and have to scrape those playing minutes by impressing in practice and garbage time. Hell send me to the D league with all the other 53 rated players. Don't think that is what most people want out of the mode but it would be great to have a "realistic" mode as an option

+1, it really would be nice to have difficulty levels as far as progression/realism goes for this mode. I would much rather have to struggle to earn my starting job than just see whether or not I'm MVP as a rookie.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #38
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The key for me will be whether you are still the starter by game 30 no matter what happens. Kind of killed the reality for me a few editions ago when I was drafted 1-20, rated somewhere in the low 50s and starting over a 94 rated Steve Nash in my rookie season.

I kind of get the feeling that's where they wanted to go, but that's tough to pull off due to the thin line between involving the D League and portraying it in an unfavorable light. I can imagine any cinematic between the player and the agent along the lines of "Aw man, now you're telling me I have to start out in freaking Idaho?" being promptly shot down by the NBA.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #39
korme
Go Reds

I like every single thing except for the forced "in year 2, Doc Rivers becomes your head coach"
Old 09-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #40
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
+1, it really would be nice to have difficulty levels as far as progression/realism goes for this mode. I would much rather have to struggle to earn my starting job than just see whether or not I'm MVP as a rookie.

At least for year one, that seems to be the case. Since you're starting in January on 10-days, I doubt you'll get enough minutes to even warrant a sniff at MVP, even on rookie level.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #41
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I like every single thing except for the forced "in year 2, Doc Rivers becomes your head coach"

Agreed. Not a fan of that.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #42
Groundhog
Coordinator

In other words, "we paid Doc Rivers money to voice act for a few hours".

Sounds like it's going to be very scripted again. I'm sure it will still be a fun mode, just won't get any replay out of it.

I wonder if the facescan stuff works from the player edit screen - ie. can we create ourselves as a custom player and facescan?
Old 09-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #43
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

A new video of gameplay is up showing the Spurs Freelance offense in action... So excited about the gameplay improvements:

NBA 2K15 Video - Evolution of Freelance Offense with Da_Czar - Operation Sports Forums
Old 09-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #44
Groundhog
Coordinator

Wow.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #45
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Someone on OS has a confirmed early copy. He is posting about various questions. Here are some of the new defensive options you can set for each player:

New options for D
Force direction. auto middle or baseline
Screen. Over under or ice
Post. Front behind 3/4 top 3/4 bottom
Dbl team perimeter. On catch on drive
Dbl team post. On catch on dribble

Edit: Developer explanation of the 3/4 settings:

Instead of just a full front you can 3/4 front him from the top...I.E paint area or from the bottom... I.E the baseline area.

Wow... this game sounds like it has game of the year potential with all of the improvements they have added.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-29-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #46
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Seems too good to be true with all these new features. First time in a long time I have been eagerly waiting a NBA game!
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #47
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Seems too good to be true with all these new features.

I keep telling myself there is going to be some glitch that requires massive house rules or something that just takes 80% of the enjoyment out of it to prevent myself from getting too hyped up, since that does happen often enough. A few weeks ago I think I was saying (in this thread even) that I would absolutely be waiting for a sale no matter what, but after all the stuff you guys have posted here, if there are no gamebreaking bugs after like 2 days I'll probably cave in and buy it :P
Old 09-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #48
rjolley
College Starter

I'm very interested to see how those defensive ratings worked. I've always wanted a way to try and keep a team on one half of the floor, as some coaches teach defense. Would love to see that work effectively.

Any word on how the players who will be available in that year's draft are tracked? I remember reading that their college stats will be available.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #49
korme
Go Reds

I'm going in for the midnight release. This empty, meaningless week needs to pass quickly.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #50
Groundhog
Coordinator

Defensive strategy was the one area that took a big hit with next gen last release - options were basically limited to the focus points, which were a good addition in general but too generic for a full strategy - couldn't set the focus to stopping inside shots when a team had a shooter on the court or else he was left wide open.

More and more excited.