Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #101
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Josh McDaniels is on the radar of the Browns. Tebow might get another shot!

That's a match made in heaven. Enjoy the 80/20 pass/run ratio.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #102
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
I just can't get excited about Zimmer/Turner....

Didn't we already have Turner as an OC?

Yes in 2002. It does not have to be specifically Turner. I chose him as he is widely respected as a quality OC when he is exclusively an OC. If you told me that Joe Philbin, left to his own devices would improve the offense and brought an aggressive DC that would be fine too. Ultimately, I want to see a clear philosophy on both sides of the ball that puts pressure on the opposing team and that to me start with a new GM. I don't know what the current philosophy is.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #103
BillJasper
Pro Starter

After looking like stooges firing Chudzinski, can the Browns afford to bring in a guy (McDaniels) whose already failed once as an NFL head coach?
Old 12-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #104
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
After looking like stooges firing Chudzinski, can the Browns afford to bring in a guy (McDaniels) whose already failed once as an NFL head coach?

Really stupid but predicted move by the Browns. Problem is that it's not a plum position and will likely have to settle for a leftover, probably a coordinator that failed at three interviews elsewhere.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #105
Kodos
Resident Alien

Would love to see Gruden go to Miami.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #106
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Really stupid but predicted move by the Browns. Problem is that it's not a plum position and will likely have to settle for a leftover, probably a coordinator that failed at three interviews elsewhere.

And as long as they continue to demonstrate failing organizational behavior by running through coaches faster than rolls of toilet paper it'll never be a plum position.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #107
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

While I feel the same way about them firing him, they do have 10 picks and two first rounders.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #108
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
While I feel the same way about them firing him, they do have 10 picks and two first rounders.

Now lets talk about what they have done recently with said first rounders.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #109
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Their team isn't that far from being good. Their D was very good, Gordon and Cameron are good options. Tons of cap room with the picks. They can definitely get good if they make some good decisions.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #110
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Joe Haden, Phil Taylor and Barkevious Mingo? The Richardson/Weeden draft in 2012 is laughable, but at least they recouped a 1st round pick for Richardson, and they do have a new management team in place.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #111
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It's not a bad place to be but comparatively, I would think some of the other vacancies would be more high profile and lucrative, esp. if Dallas and Miami open up as well.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #112
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Joe Haden, Phil Taylor and Barkevious Mingo? The Richardson/Weeden draft in 2012 is laughable, but at least they recouped a 1st round pick for Richardson, and they do have a new management team in place.

And Quinn.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #113
bhlloy
Coordinator

And who wouldn't want to work for the owner who is a notorious douche, is being investigated by the IRS and the FBI and probably won't have any money left afterwards and just fired a coach after one season when they knew it would be a rebuilding year? Obviously a plum of a job.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:47 AM   #114
mrtourette
High School JV

The Dolphins probably didn't deserve to be in the playoffs but the manner in which they set themselves up after wins over Pit and New England and then calamitously threw it away with those two terrible performances against the Bills and Jets (of all the teams to throw it away against) does raise some serious questions.

In a away if they'd have lost the first two and then won out against the Bills and Jets to finish 8-8 I probably wouldn't be so obviously concerned ('average team finishes 8-8 by beating worse teams and losing to better teams' isn't much to get upset about), but needing one win against either the Bills or Jets to make the playoffs and putting in such lame performances in both games really does make you wonder what the hell was going on for those final two weeks.
mrtourette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #115
Dutch
"Dutch"

I don't care if he's the most hated coach in the world--in the NFL--if you can get your players to respond like this when you say, "Despite our record, we are retaining Coach Ryan" you want that coach.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #116
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

He did go 8-8 with a rookie QB and was a game out from maybe being in the playoffs. While Smith played terrible, if he can develop into at least a decent QB, I'm guessing they are back into the playoffs.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #117
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Their team isn't that far from being good. Their D was very good, Gordon and Cameron are good options. Tons of cap room with the picks. They can definitely get good if they make some good decisions.

The Browns have not had a steady QB since Bernie freaken Kosar. I mean look at this list -this is why they can not win:

2013 Jason Campbell (8) / Brandon Weeden (5) / Brian Hoyer (3)
2012 Brandon Weeden (15) / Thad Lewis (1)
2011 Colt McCoy (13) / Seneca Wallace (3)
2010 Colt McCoy (8) / Jake Delhomme (4) / Seneca Wallace (4)
2009 Brady Quinn (9) / Derek Anderson (7)
2008 Derek Anderson (9) / Brady Quinn (3) / Ken Dorsey (3) / Bruce Gradkowski (1)
2007 Derek Anderson (15) / Charlie Frye (1)
2006 Charlie Frye (13) / Derek Anderson (3)
2005 Trent Dilfer (11) / Charlie Frye (5)
2004 Jeff Garcia (10) / Kelly Holcomb (2) / Luke McCown (4)
2003 Kelly Holcomb (8) / Tim Couch (8)
2002 Tim Couch (14) / Kelly Holcomb (2)
2001 Tim Couch (16)
2000 Doug Pederson (8) / Tim Couch (7) / Spergon Wynn (1)
1999 Tim Couch (14) / Ty Detmer (2)
1996-1998 Vacant
1995 Vinny Testaverde (12) / Eric Zeier (4)
1994 Vinny Testaverde (13) / Mark Rypien (3)

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:27 AM   #118
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I thought this was easily Ryan's best year. The Jets offense is as devoid of talent as the Jags. The d-line is great and the LBs are good, but the secondary is average at best. Getting that team to 8-8 is almost a miracle.

That being said, I still question whether Ryan can win it all, but he deserves another year at least.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #119
Butter
Coordinator

Didn't Derek Anderson have a Pro Bowl year in there somewhere?
Old 12-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #120
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I thought this was easily Ryan's best year. The Jets offense is as devoid of talent as the Jags. The d-line is great and the LBs are good, but the secondary is average at best. Getting that team to 8-8 is almost a miracle.

That being said, I still question whether Ryan can win it all, but he deserves another year at least.

As much as I think Rex Ryan is a pompous ass, I do think he is a good coach and the Jets made the right decision to bring him back for another season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Didn't Derek Anderson have a Pro Bowl year in there somewhere?

Yep. Turned it into some big money from the Browns.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #121
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
He did go 8-8 with a rookie QB and was a game out from maybe being in the playoffs. While Smith played terrible, if he can develop into at least a decent QB, I'm guessing they are back into the playoffs.

To be a decent QB, you first got to be coachable, mature, able and wanting to learn from others and play with some sense of intelligence on the field. That's asking a lot of Smith.

Breaks my heart that Ryan is coming back. I look forward to the day that he is out of the NFL.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #122
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
To be a decent QB, you first got to be coachable, mature, able and wanting to learn from others and play with some sense of intelligence on the field. That's asking a lot of Smith.

I'm not sure what I think of Geno Smith yet? Statistically, he got better towards the end of the year.

Smith and Ryan's futures with the Jets are definitely tied together now. If the Jets don't make the playoffs next year, both maybe looking for new jobs.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #123
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm not sure what I think of Geno Smith yet? Statistically, he got better towards the end of the year.

Smith and Ryan's futures with the Jets are definitely tied together now. If the Jets don't make the playoffs next year, both maybe looking for new jobs.

Based on coaching track record, I think you can count on Smith not developing. Ryan is great at defense and would be the top DC in the league, but the Jets offense has been putrid for a long time. Some of that's down or personnel decisions, but you have to look at the head coach too.

Which is why I'm glad Ryan is sticking around since he's a DC in a HC role.

Last edited by Desnudo : 12-31-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #124
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Based on coaching track record, I think you can count on Smith not developing. Ryan is great at defense and would be the top DC in the league, but the Jets offense has been putrid for a long time. Some of that's down or personnel decisions, but you have to look at the head coach too.

Thing is, the Jets are very good at running the ball (6th in the league according to NFL.com), so Smith doesn't have to make a giant leap to make the Jets appreciatively better.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #125
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Number wise Smith was at least decent in their wins but was flat out awful in their losses.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #126
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This struck me as an interesting statement, so I decided to look at his splits.
Geno Smith Stats, Splits - New York Jets - ESPN

What jumps at me from his monthly splits is that he ran about twice as often in December as he did any other month (32 Dec attempts vs 16/14/10 in Sep/Oct/Nov). His YPA/YPC both went down in December as well, which at least suggests a change in what they asked him to do.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #127
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Number wise Smith was at least decent in their wins but was flat out awful in their losses.

Well, he was a rookie QB with a receiving corp that wasn't exactly stacked with pro bowlers. I think sometimes we're too quick wanting to move on from players and coaches. I'm ready to dump Philbin after an 8-8 year two based on how the Dolphins played the last two weeks.

As far as Geno Smith goes, I think it's 50/50 that he's better than Ryan Tannehill by this time next year.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #128
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

What jumps at me from his monthly splits is that he ran about twice as often in December as he did any other month (32 Dec attempts vs 16/14/10 in Sep/Oct/Nov). His YPA/YPC both went down in December as well, which at least suggests a change in what they asked him to do.

They likely told him to quit forcing passes and to run with the ball if the opportunity presented itself.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #129
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:

As far as Geno Smith goes, I think it's 50/50 that he's better than Ryan Tannehill by this time next year.

Really? Granted I am sure you watched more games of Tanny than I did, but from what I saw, I think he has a bright future.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #130
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, he was a rookie QB with a receiving corp that wasn't exactly stacked with pro bowlers.

Leading WR for the Jets is a 5th round pick who had 523 yards and 3 TDs. The only other WR that wasn't drafted in the 7th round was Hill. Last TE they drafted was in 2008. Gee, I can't imagine why QBs don't succeed there.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #131
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Norv Turner questioned Cleveland Browns after firing of Rob Chudzinski - ESPN

Good for Norv.

Quote:
Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner talked to the coaching staff Monday about the firing of coach Rob Chudzinski. Turner clearly asked why the staff was told the plan was for a long-term rebuild when the commitment from the front office didn't last a year. Turner also detailed his concern that the coaching staff worked with handicaps given the personnel on the field, the sources said.

Among his points were that the staff was told repeatedly the team was building for 2014, that the running back situation was never solved after the trade of Trent Richardson, the roster was constantly juggled, and the team fired a coach after he had to start three different quarterbacks.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #132
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Really? Granted I am sure you watched more games of Tanny than I did, but from what I saw, I think he has a bright future.

I think Tannehill has a bright future but there are legitimate questions to be asked. Given that when he was drafted, everyone included the Dolphins acknowledged that he was a project with less than two years of QB experience at Texas A&M. As I said before, I think he has improved but a claim can be made that he should have made more of an improvement with better coaching and/or better talent around him. This is another reason to ask questions of Ireland and Philbin
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #133
Atocep
Coordinator

Looks like Obrien to the Texans is done.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #134
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I think Tannehill has a bright future but there are legitimate questions to be asked. Given that when he was drafted, everyone included the Dolphins acknowledged that he was a project with less than two years of QB experience at Texas A&M. As I said before, I think he has improved but a claim can be made that he should have made more of an improvement with better coaching and/or better talent around him. This is another reason to ask questions of Ireland and Philbin

Great post. As an Aggie, I was shocked he was drafted as high as he was and figured Sherman had a lot to do with that. But I figured he'd sit on the bench for a year or 2 and learn the game from the sidelines while Moore played. That was the logical thing to do considering he was so green coming into the league. Wrong. Like idiots, they threw him out there and I figured we had another QB flame-out on our hands. But from what I've seen he's made dramatic improvements from last year to this, despite Sherman calling the same lame ass plays he did in C.S. Tanny is turning me into a believer, and I can honestly say I was not in this camp earlier.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #135
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Based on some early reports the Lions are looking at Jim Caldwell and Tom Cable at the moment. I would have a hard time imagining a more underwhelming couple of potential hires.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #136
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Based on some early reports the Lions are looking at Jim Caldwell and Tom Cable at the moment. I would have a hard time imagining a more underwhelming couple of potential hires.

They just planning on not going to the playoffs for the next decade?
Old 01-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #137
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Wow...thats uhhh not good.

I actually like Lovie there and think he'd be special.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #138
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I'm hoping the whoever the Lions hire knows there is a position on the field called "Fullback."
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #139
miami_fan
Coordinator

Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross mulling changes - ESPN

I just hope if a new GM comes in, he is not forced to keep the HC against his will.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #140
BillJasper
Pro Starter

If you fire Ireland, you have to fire Philbin. Unless you're promoting someone from within the organization to GM.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #141
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:

They just planning on not going to the playoffs for the next decade?

this is the Lions were talking about, theyre doing long term planning; no playoffs the next 3 decades!
Old 01-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #142
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Has Tony Dungy completely ruled himself out of any job considerations?

He is only 58. Went 54-42 with a historically bad Tampa franchise, then went 85-27 with a Colts team that was a year removed from the famous Jim Mora "playoffs" rant.

If I was the Lions, I would pay a visit to him with a blank check.

EDIT: Just saw that Dungy has put on twitter that he is done coaching. I would still drop off the blank check though.

Last edited by fantom1979 : 01-01-2014 at 07:08 PM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #143
Dutch
"Dutch"

I wouldn't be surprised if he follows Lovie Smith (to Tampa?) as a GM or President if he wanted back in. I think ultimately though he likes the analyst position...he's well respected, well paid, and he's never wrong now.

Last edited by Dutch : 01-01-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #144
Logan
Head Coach

Glazer saying Lovie and the Bucs are finalizing a deal tonight.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #145
Dutch
"Dutch"

Sweet. Good call, Bucs.

Lovie Smith, Tampa Bay Buccaneers reach agreement - ESPN
Old 01-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #146
Dutch
"Dutch"

A little bit interested to see how this works. You hire a HC first then a GM...that's somewhat unusual, but I think Lovie is in good standing and has good relationships with a number of solid GM candidates.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #147
Patriots12
n00b

Bucs with a steal of a hire. We'll done glazer family.
Patriots12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #148
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I wonder if anyone actually wants the Detroit job?
Old 01-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #149
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Tee hee. Enjoy Lovie, Bucs fans.

And don't mind the snickering from Chicagoland.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #150
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Tee hee. Enjoy Lovie, Bucs fans.

And don't mind the snickering from Chicagoland.

I won't snicker as much about Lovie as I did about either the Jauron or Wannestadt hires following their stints with the Bears.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote