Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What will you do with your $1,000 check? Primarily ...
Save it 18 40.00%
Pay Bills 14 31.11%
Spend it 8 17.78%
Trout 5 11.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2020, 08:47 PM   #51
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Does anyone have any idea how young adults would be treated? It wouldn't be cool if we get means tested out of a check while our older kids also were excluded. We're having to pay unexpected living costs for them due to dorm closures, dining hall closures, etc.

Assuming they’d be a dependent? I’ve got one home on permanent spring break.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:21 AM   #52
Danny
Head Coach

Looks like the payment is an advance based on filing taxes for 2020. I think this was the best way to do it. So people who may have earned more last year but were significantly effected may not get a check this year but they will get credit for it in their 2020 taxes.

Didnt see details if they will force people to pay back money received on their taxes if they somehow earned more this year but they could based on how it works
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #53
Subby
lolzcat

pay someone to administer this board so you can't post any more insipid polls
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:26 AM   #54
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Looks like the payment is an advance based on filing taxes for 2020. I think this was the best way to do it. So people who may have earned more last year but were significantly effected may not get a check this year but they will get credit for it in their 2020 taxes.

Didnt see details if they will force people to pay back money received on their taxes if they somehow earned more this year but they could based on how it works

So family of 5 here, any thought if we just get a check for $3900 and should plan ourselves to set $x amount aside or will this basically be figured in where I will have no tax liability on the $3900? (In this scenario let's just keep in simple and say my income and withholdings etc are exactly the same as last year)

So plan as $3900 gift from the government or winning $3900 on the Price is Right?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #55
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
So plan as $3900 gift from the government or winning $3900 on the Price is Right?

Or is it an advance of your 2020 tax refund?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:40 AM   #56
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

But what happens if you don't get a 2020 tax refund (in 2021)?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #57
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah that would be pretty bad, I'm pretty sure that isn't the case but I could be wrong. I think this is similar to the checks from 2008.

EDIT: And I say pretty bad because people spend their refunds like it's lottery money, never really understanding that is their money they are getting back. Can't imagine what will happen when they spend that money now and then don't get it next year. I guess the elections will have ended right? :-)

Last edited by panerd : 03-25-2020 at 09:02 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:07 AM   #58
bob
College Starter

I just hope they are very clear with what this money really is. I don't expect they will be. Honestly I can't tell from what I have read.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #59
Edward64
Head Coach

More info.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/polit...rus/index.html
Quote:
Under the plan as it was being negotiated, single Americans would receive $1,200, married couples would get $2,400, and parents would see $500 for each child under age 17.

However, the payments would start to phase out for individuals with adjusted gross incomes of more than $75,000, and those making more than $99,000 would not qualify at all. The thresholds are doubled for couples.

About 90% of Americans would be eligible to receive full or partial payments, according to estimates by the Tax Policy Center. Lawmakers set aside $250 billion for the so-called recovery rebates.

Qualifying income levels will be based on 2019 federal tax returns, if already filed, and otherwise on 2018 returns. (Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin earlier this month delayed the filing deadline until July 15.)

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-25-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #60
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

I think the money is an additional credit towards your 2020 taxes that is paid out in advance. It's not a replacement for money youd already be getting based on your taxes.

So if you earned 200k last year and get no money but this year earned 50k, you can still get the payment as a refund applied to your 2020 taxes. If you earned 50k last year and still earned 50k this year, youd still get to keep all the money since it's an additional credit.

The question is if you earned 50k last year big earn 200k this year is will they make you pay that back in filing your 2020 taxes

Last edited by Danny : 03-25-2020 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:08 PM   #61
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Low cost of living area folks rejoice.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:49 AM   #62
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
Low cost of living area folks rejoice.

Yeah. It’s basically 6 months of my mortgage payment. (2 adults, 2 dependents)
Old 03-26-2020, 01:03 AM   #63
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Yeah. It’s basically 6 months of my mortgage payment. (2 adults, 2 dependents)

Wow! We live in Northern California, if my wife and I got the full amount for us plus our daughter (which she isnt include d since shes 5 weeks old) wed need another 2 kids to cover one month.

We are not eligible based upon 2019 data but we should get some credit on our 2020 taxes as we will not earn as much this year

Last edited by Danny : 03-26-2020 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:05 AM   #64
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We just bought at the right time and got about half off
Old 03-26-2020, 01:14 AM   #65
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
We just bought at the right time and got about half off

Nice!
Old 03-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #66
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
plus our daughter (which she isnt included since shes 5 weeks old)

Congratulations
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:48 PM   #67
JeeberD
General Manager

My father-in-law got laid off yesterday (on his fucking BIRTHDAY), and with his being 62 and overweight he better not try to pick up something temporary at the grocery store to pay the bills. If we need to, I'm sure we'll send the funds to my in-laws so that they can pay bills a little bit longer.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:58 AM   #68
PilotMan
Head Coach

Stimulus Checks 2020: How Much? When? And Other FAQs

From the looks of it, our 24yr old who lives at home, is claimed as a dependent, but works, and 18yr old hs senior, also claimed, will both be excluded from payments and from the child payments. That feels like a pretty substantial loophole.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:40 AM   #69
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

From the looks of it, our 24yr old who lives at home, is claimed as a dependent, but works, and 18yr old hs senior, also claimed, will both be excluded from payments and from the child payments. That feels like a pretty substantial loophole.

Darn, my son will be disappointed. He's in college and works part-time but we claim him as a dependent.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:11 PM   #70
General Mike
Pro Starter

Right now, plan is to put it toward credit card debt
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #71
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Yeah. It’s kinda shit
Old 03-28-2020, 01:35 AM   #72
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Congratulations

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2020, 08:00 AM   #73
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

$1200 to Biden 2020
Old 03-28-2020, 08:46 AM   #74
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
$1200 to Biden 2020

I don't think the $1,200 is best spent of Biden. Go ahead and donate some to buy a t-shirt or bumper sticker but IMO money is better spent in paying off your bills, or saving it in case you need it 2-3-4 months down the road, or putting it back into the economy.

Purely self-serving rationalization, I want a new iPad or laptop this year.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-28-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #75
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah. It’s kinda shit

Yep. And both my daughters jobs are gone. My 19 year old was a server at college and she is home now. And my 18 year old senior works at 6 flags which is shut down.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #76
miami_fan
Coordinator

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ge%2Fstory-ans
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:06 PM   #77
fortheglory
Mascot

doubt I will get it.
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:23 PM   #78
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Quote:
The Treasury announced late Treasury that Social Security beneficiaries who typically do not file a tax return will automatically get the $1,200 payment and no longer must submit anything extra.....

....More than 15 million Americans on Social Security do not file an annual tax return because their income is so low, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. During the last recession, when the U.S. government sent most Americans a stimulus check and required a filed tax return to get it, 3.5 million Social Security recipients were left out because they never sent a return, according to a 2008 Treasury Department analysis.....

....Most high school seniors and college students won’t get any money. The bill gives nothing to families for their children older than 16, a shock to many households already reeling from canceled graduations, and college students readjusting to life at home with so many universities shut down. Many immigrant families are also learning that they are ineligible. In order for anyone in the family to receive a payment, each person in the household — including children — is supposed to have a valid Social Security number.....

....“It seemed crazy to me that 17- and 18-year-olds won’t get this. We’re losing our jobs, too,” he said.

Like Steam?

Old 04-02-2020, 04:58 PM   #79
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Screw this - immediately tax incomes over $1Million and then give everyone making less than $85K a $10,000 check. Make this mean something.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #80
RainMaker
General Manager

I imagine a lot of people will use it to make a payment for one month of health insurance.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:52 PM   #81
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Honestly, if I was a small business that was at risk of losing everything. I would just lie on my taxes, claim a ton of writeoffs and try to get a 10K+ refund. It sucks and you'd normally not want to do something like that - but if that helps you keep your business through July, it's probably worth the penalties (even if they catch it with all the IRS agents working overtime to get the subsidies out).

Of course, you could be like me and have filed back in March so you wouldn't have the option. But, if I were a business in trouble, hadn't filed and was in a dire situation, I'd think about it. Clearly you aren't getting much help from the government.

Last edited by Arles : 04-02-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:49 PM   #82
PilotMan
Head Coach

Sent a letter to my congressmen thanking them for allowing the dependent adult and 17+yr old students who are claimed as dependents to be excluded from the stimulus. As if they don't have any impact on either my or their own finances. What bullshit.

Like Steam?

Old 04-09-2020, 06:08 AM   #83
Edward64
Head Coach

Check is in the mail.

Coronavirus stimulus checks to hit US in waves, some arrive in April
Quote:
Much-awaited stimulus cash will begin flooding into millions of bank accounts next week in the first wave of payouts to shore up the nation's wallets.

Millions of taxpayers will begin receiving the extra money to pay rent, groceries and other bills next week, or possibly as early as Thursday or Friday, some say.

The first group – estimated to cover 50 million to 60 million Americans – would include people who have already given their bank account information to the Internal Revenue Service.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-09-2020 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #84
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Mine hit my bank today, FYI.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:42 PM   #85
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The IRS is also building a second new tool expected to be available by April 17. The new tool, Get My Payment, will provide payment updates, including the date your payment is scheduled to be deposited into your bank account or mailed.

Story on Forbes.com

Last edited by SirFozzie : 04-13-2020 at 02:43 PM.
SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #86
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thanks Fozzie that link helped me file for the payment
Old 04-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #87
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Old 04-13-2020, 04:38 PM   #88
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

We got ours today as well (well it's "Pending"). I had to wait to check because my credit union's online banking went down today (the one downside to a credit union - Wells Fargo has almost never gone down for me regardless of them being evil, while my credit union has had day long outages like 3 times in the last year).
Old 04-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #89
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't gotten my stimulus payment, but in related news did my latest unemployment certification today and will begin receiving the added $600 benefit this week. What this means in brass tacks is that the act of sitting of my arse now constitutes the highest-paying job I have ever held.

Good work, if you can find it.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 04-13-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:41 PM   #90
tarcone
Coordinator

As I just posted in another thread, Im buying guns.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:47 PM   #91
PilotMan
Head Coach

Mine will go straight to savings for the possibility of a furlough in the fall.

Like Steam?

Old 04-13-2020, 09:40 PM   #92
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
As I just posted in another thread, Im buying guns.

I would've guess you have enough guns. Maybe ammo?
Old 04-13-2020, 10:04 PM   #93
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I would've guess you have enough guns. Maybe ammo?

My wife wouldnt allow guns in the house until this and/or her watching The Walking Dead.

Not sure which changed her mind, but a pistol and a shotgun are in my future.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:34 PM   #94
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Well, hopefully she cools off and decides not to shoot you after all.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:05 AM   #95
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Well, hopefully she cools off and decides not to shoot you after all.

*tarcone at home all the time annoying his wife* Mrs. Tarcone "You know honey, maybe it is time we had a gun."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:40 AM   #96
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
My wife wouldnt allow guns in the house until this and/or her watching The Walking Dead.

Definitely better than Daryl's crossbow.

... and welcome to the 2A. Be sure to be responsible, get a safe, some training etc.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-14-2020 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:57 AM   #97
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
*tarcone at home all the time annoying his wife* Mrs. Tarcone "You know honey, maybe it is time we had a gun."

Quote:
ED drugs are THE BOMB

I think we know why she wants a gun....
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:48 AM   #98
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I suggested to the wife we just keep it in our account. $2400 would pay for 2+ months of day care in September/October (for our kid due in June) when presumably my wife would have to go back to work (she's a teacher) and I was planning on taking 3-4 weeks off in August to be with the kid when she goes back to work.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:00 PM   #99
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So are taxes due tomorrow? Or can I procrastinate until July 15th?
Old 04-14-2020, 12:01 PM   #100
PilotMan
Head Coach

Procrastinate away!

Like Steam?