Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #4301
bronconick
College Starter

The writers made everyone stupid to make Cersei badass, over and over again. Basically stuck hoping Arya's plot armor trumps Cersei's, or she wins. Just brutal.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #4302
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Although someone online pointed out, during the sea battle scene, why didn't Dany just circle around behind Euron's ships and light them up? Yeah... that does seem quite a bit too obvious, doesn't it?

Hell, I think every ballista fired at the same time. She coulda roasted that entire fleet while they were reloading.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:56 PM   #4303
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Hell, I think every ballista fired at the same time. She coulda roasted that entire fleet while they were reloading.

They were reloading every 5 seconds. They somehow turned ballista into machine guns.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:06 PM   #4304
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Qyburn is Westeros's Leonardo da Vinci.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:16 PM   #4305
Izulde
Head Coach

First truly great episode we've had this season and the first one in a long, long time worthy of vintage GoT.

Re: The ships, she couldn't have burned them all fast enough, I don't think. Taken some out yes, but not all.

Also, yes, parley laws - if she kills Dany there, she eliminates the immediate threat, but then there would be an even more widespread rebellion for violating parley. Whereas now, if she wins, there won't be another revolt to worry about for a while (unless the Snow avalanche happened).

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:17 PM   #4306
sabotai
General Manager

Jaime's riding south. We all know now how Cersei will meet her end.

Dany takes three more steps towards Mad Queen Dany. (Jon not telling her he'll keep his identity a secret, the dragon dying and Missandei's execution). It was almost comical how they would show a close up of her mad face with her angry breathing.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:20 PM   #4307
JPhillips
General Manager

Qyburn said they were subjects of the Queen. As such, they are rebels and wouldn't be subject to parley laws.

Not that I think there's anyone that would stop supporting Cersei because she executed Dany.

And for the love of the seven, why doesn't anyone check on with the guy that can see everything?
Old 05-05-2019, 10:24 PM   #4308
bronconick
College Starter

Cersei blew up the Sept of Baelor full of people and we think parley would still apply??
Old 05-05-2019, 10:30 PM   #4309
sabotai
General Manager

In one episode, Jon's dire wolf heads north, alive and well (injured, but fine), but his dragon that headed south was killed.

Wonder if that's foreshadowing anything...

Last edited by sabotai : 05-05-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:33 PM   #4310
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Cersei blew up the Sept of Baelor full of people and we think parley would still apply??

Is it widely known that she blew up the Sept?

Old 05-05-2019, 10:35 PM   #4311
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Qyburn said they were subjects of the Queen. As such, they are rebels and wouldn't be subject to parley laws.

Not that I think there's anyone that would stop supporting Cersei because she executed Dany.

And for the love of the seven, why doesn't anyone check on with the guy that can see everything?

Maybe Bran was too tired after having to be the one to say it because Jon is a damn ninny who pussed out at both keeping his mouth shut *and* having the sack to come out with it once he decided he was gonna tell them anyway.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:47 PM   #4312
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

There seems to be a lot of people online blaming Jon for not keeping his mouth shut about his Targaryen father, but it's a bit tough to demand someone else live a lie, IMO. Dude just learns a massive secret about his lineage and demanding he doesn't tell anyone else is asking for trouble. Seems completely unrealistic to indicate someone just keep their mouth shut about something that big (esp when he thought he was a bastard for all of his life)

Now if Dany and Jon come out with it to their trusted advisers and Jon swears his loyalty to Dany, then you may have scheming, but a lot of it would be nipped in the bud by that pledge by Jon (because everyone knows Jon follows his pledges to a fault).
Old 05-05-2019, 10:48 PM   #4313
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So does Arya go back to Braavos after she's done killing Cersei?

She ain't dying. I promise you.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:51 PM   #4314
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
In one episode, Jon's dire wolf heads north, alive and well (injured, but fine), but his dragon that headed south was killed.

Wonder if that's foreshadowing anything...

I wondered if the whole 'The (real) North is part of you' line foreshadowing anything involving Jon ending up north of the Wall That Isn't Anymore.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:52 PM   #4315
Izulde
Head Coach

Tyrion and Varys already know that Jon has pledged loyalty to Dany, so that whole trusted advisors thing is a moot point and irrelevant. They've already had that in their calculus.

The danger is, as both Dany and the advisors know, is that when this shit gets out, Plot Armor Jon becomes the people's choice. Horse is out the barn door now, though.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:55 PM   #4316
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
So does Arya go back to Braavos after she's done killing Cersei?

She ain't dying. I promise you.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. One of my favorite moments this episode was Arya turning Gendry's proposal down. I was scared for a minute they were going to fuck with the established character.

I also had the same thought that Ghost heading up north and that line is an indicator that he'll go north after all this is over. It's also the moment where Jon became mildly interesting because he became a stand-in for the nature (Targaryen + Stark blood) vs nurture (Growing up in Winterfell, feeling more at home with the Night's Watch and Free Folk) endless debate.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:55 PM   #4317
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Tyrion and Varys already know that Jon has pledged loyalty to Dany, so that whole trusted advisors thing is a moot point and irrelevant. They've already had that in their calculus.

The danger is, as both Dany and the advisors know, is that when this shit gets out, Plot Armor Jon becomes the people's choice. Horse is out the barn door now, though.

Yes, but Jon hasn't pledged loyalty as Aegon Targaryen in front of everyone. He's definitely not going against the shit if he does that. Really they'd just need some sort of ceremony with an announcement of an engagement. It'd make Tyrion and Varys a bit wary of knocking of Dany because Jon would put their heads on a pike (which isn't something they think may happen at this point).
Old 05-05-2019, 11:02 PM   #4318
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of people online blaming Jon for not keeping his mouth shut about his Targaryen father, but it's a bit tough to demand someone else live a lie, IMO. Dude just learns a massive secret about his lineage and demanding he doesn't tell anyone else is asking for trouble. Seems completely unrealistic to indicate someone just keep their mouth shut about something that big (esp when he thought he was a bastard for all of his life)

Now if Dany and Jon come out with it to their trusted advisers and Jon swears his loyalty to Dany, then you may have scheming, but a lot of it would be nipped in the bud by that pledge by Jon (because everyone knows Jon follows his pledges to a fault).

He's made a lot of terrible decisions, but I don't think that's necessarily one I'd get on him for either.

However, how is Arya not even in the discussion about taking out Cersei after she killed the Night King? How are they not trying to make use of her skills?

Kind of figured Rhaegal was going to die. The way he died was rather stupid in the show though.

And I guess the entire point of the Three Eyed Raven is to go around and and be the person that breaks the Targaryen news to everyone because Jon can't say it.

Much better episode. The scheming was back, but didn't make much sense in how it was done. Still terrible tactical decisions being made. And someone Cersei, despite season after season of showing that she doesn't play in Tywin or Tyrion's league is now the greatest threat in the 7 kingdoms. Still, a step in the right direction after last week.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:04 PM   #4319
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I wondered if the whole 'The (real) North is part of you' line foreshadowing anything involving Jon ending up north of the Wall That Isn't Anymore.

Yeah, that line stuck out to me too. And Jon's initial line of saying the south is no place for a dire wolf.

And this whole time, I kept thinking that Jon didn't really have a claim because he renounced his claims (he didn't think he had any but that doesn't matter) with he became a man of the Night's Watch.

But, I just looked up that oath: "Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

So he didn't really renounce his claims, just said that as a member of the Night's Watch, he will hold no lands, and that he'd be a man of the Night's Watch until his death. There's that resurrection loophole coming into play again. Maybe that's why the Lord of Light brought Jon back (because it sure wasn't to help take down the Night King).
Old 05-05-2019, 11:12 PM   #4320
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just want to see Euron die, I can't stand him.

The hound will take out Cersi's ogre guard.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:14 PM   #4321
Izulde
Head Coach

I gotta admit, I laughed out loud when Tyrion was like "Take Highgarden, bro." Bronn as a lord is hilarious - whether it's of Riverrun or Highgarden.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:24 PM   #4322
Izulde
Head Coach

This is probably just me, but I thought for a moment when Missandei said "Dracarys" that Dany's last dragon was going to show up and torch Cersei.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:19 AM   #4323
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Is there any good reason for Cersei not to kill Dany after beheading Missandei? With the archers and ballistas the odds seem high that Dany would fall.

And what happened to the tens of thousands of dead at Winterfell?
The actual army of the dead? I thought they basically turned to dust when the Night King was killed, or at least the ones who weren't recently turned did. If you're talking the living side I think those funeral pyres in the beginning were supposed to represent all the dead. (Though I also can't remember if non-Stark Northerners tended to burn their dead the whole time, or that was just something they started doing once itw as known the dead could turn into wights.)

No idea why Cersei respected parley. No idea why the Ironborn let soldiers swim to shore and didn't clean up after killing a dragon while eviscerating the fleet. No idea if Dragonstone was supposed to be defended (by whom?) and if so why there was no warning to the docking fleet. I like the two big deaths, but again we're just going to have nonsensical battle tactics and our protagonists looking like complete military neophytes just to set up the big set piece. C'est la vie at this point.
Quote:
I gotta admit, I laughed out loud when Tyrion was like "Take Highgarden, bro." Bronn as a lord is hilarious - whether it's of Riverrun or Highgarden.
Yeah, I didn't get the tenor of that scene. Why spend the scene holding a loaded gun(/bow)? Tyrion and Jaime both ended on good terms with him, have no clue he's been asked to assassinate them, and should be very willing to let Bronn have a go at Lord of Highgarden (it's not like there's any Tyrell or ally left they're screwing over, like if Bronn wanted Storm's End over Gendry or Riverrun considering the Stark/Tully ties and the fact the Tully heir is left we think), so why not just have them have a surprise reunion drink, state his terms, and refuse to take a side?
Quote:
Is it widely known that she blew up the Sept?
Was it supposed to be an act of God? Maybe the hoi polloi believe something weird, but I thought Cersei wanted people who mattered to know she did it partly so they'd fear her and partly because she didn't give a fuck.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:56 AM   #4324
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cold as fuck let's waste a fuckton of good firewood torching the dead. Is it Minecraft? Unlimited crafting?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:59 AM   #4325
bhlloy
Coordinator

Holy shit, heat seeking ballistas with the ability to reload with the speed exceeding a real heat seeking missile? I look forward to the next episode where we'll presumably see medieval tanks and space lasers.

I'd say something about them being the only thing that can penetrate plot armor, but I guess they did only manage to kill the dragon that didn't have a major character on, so it clearly only goes so far. Speaking of which, how much of an idiot is Euron and his crew to perfectly spear the dragon three teams with deadly accuracy that doesn't have the one person on (to their knowledge at least) who would win the war for them.

And has nobody ever heard of scouts? Given there's been precedent of the Lanisters using ballistas against dragons, and the way that dragon #3 met his end you'd have thought that anybody with a miniscule brain wouldn't have the dragons flying anywhere near the front of the formation. This really does feel like the lowest common denominator rush to an ending that can be tense and interesting.

I did like the political stuff creeping back in, I liked the use of Sansa to set up the Jon/Varys vs Dany/Tyrion fault line that seems to be coming. I wonder if they wrap up the Cersei plotline or that one first.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:03 AM   #4326
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Yeah, I didn't get the tenor of that scene. Why spend the scene holding a loaded gun(/bow)? Tyrion and Jaime both ended on good terms with him, have no clue he's been asked to assassinate them, and should be very willing to let Bronn have a go at Lord of Highgarden (it's not like there's any Tyrell or ally left they're screwing over, like if Bronn wanted Storm's End over Gendry or Riverrun considering the Stark/Tully ties and the fact the Tully heir is left we think), so why not just have them have a surprise reunion drink, state his terms, and refuse to take a side?

I think he did tell them that Cersei had offered him stuff to have him kill them, hence needing to come up with the Highgarden offer right? It wasn't particularly clear, but I can't see how they didn't come out of it knowing.

The most interesting part now is that Jamie apparently is hightailing it back to Cersei (I absolutely hated that character 180 and thought it was completely unnecessary btw, but it is what it is) and Tyrion could be toast before the end. I wonder if it's a plotline they just leave awkwardly hanging in the wind, or if it does get resolved in the giant wrap up.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:13 AM   #4327
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He's made a lot of terrible decisions, but I don't think that's necessarily one I'd get on him for either.

Like Ned, he's just so terribly naive that its just silly. Jon to Dany: "What could possibly go wrong if I tell my sisters who hate you that I'm the rightful heir to the throne?" Dany got pretty stern there. Do we take that as a death threat or is that a bit much?

Jon is just so god damn dumb and this was a huge glaring example of that to me. I know Dany is going to go insane with her lust for power and Jon is probably who we should all be "rooting for" at this point, but I seriously hope Dany finds out and just murders jon in their bedroom. And he's so naive and stupid that hw won't see it coming and it'll be the easiest thing in the world.

That seems unlikely though.

All that said I freaking LOVED this episode. Yes the holes are there, but I just don't care. The political intrigue going into the final episodes feels like its set up perfectly. There are so many different ways for this to play out and they could all make sense for the most part. Completely loved it.

--Gendrey proposing to Arya was SO CRINGE and i was yelling at my TV the whole time.

--Brienne and Jaime was one of the more heartbreaking scenes in the entire series. Poor, poor Brienne. Since we know characters sometimes teleport, please let Brienne just teleport up to castle black for a rebound fling with Tormund.

-- Arya and the Hound meet up to travel to Kings Landing together. Now I want 10 episodes more of the show if only to slow down that journey and let us see 5-10 minutes of the two of them for as long as they can drag it out.

-- CleganeBowl is confirmed now right?

-- The Dragon going down was great. I know there's a billion holes in the execution but it really surprised me and made an impact and that's honestly all I care about at this point.

-- Tyrion and Varys interactions and wondering what these behind the scenes schemers are going to end up doing is classic stuff from when the show was at its absolute best early on.

-- After Grey Worm's speech two episodes ago about how he and Missandei are going to go live happily ever after, I was certain Grey Worm would die in the battle. But this worked just as well. RIP, but it had to happen.

-- Cersei telling Euron that the baby is his, then Tyrion comes rolling in already knowing she's pregnant and talking about it right in front of Euron.

-- I love every moment that Bronn is on my screen.

For all of the problems, I'm so glad the Night King is gone, and I'm legit excited to see how this plays out. Great freaking setup episode.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:19 AM   #4328
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I think he did tell them that Cersei had offered him stuff to have him kill them, hence needing to come up with the Highgarden offer right? It wasn't particularly clear, but I can't see how they didn't come out of it knowing.

Yes. Bronn said that Cersei offered him Riverrun for their deaths, but he thinks she's the loser of this next battle b/c dragons, so he's up for negotiating but happy to kill one of them if he needs to. Tyrion calls back to something from an earlier season where he told Bronn "if someone ever pays you to kill me, come tell me and I'll double the offer" leading to "what's double riverrun?" and the answer being Highgarden.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:39 AM   #4329
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Things that I hated about this episode:
  • Bronn's entire scene was super ham-fisted. How does he get inside the castle to the hand of the queen holding that giant-assed crossbow anyway?
  • Jaime and Brienne, ugh.
  • The aforementioned super-accurate, super-quick to reload ship crossbows. At least, when they're shooting at a passenger-less dragon they're accurate.
  • If you have people riding on things that fly, how can you possibly be surprised by ships?

I didn't even enjoy the Varys/Tyrion stuff because it seemed less like intrigue and more like two guys looking at the brunch buffet at 3:55 PM and being sad that the only options left are a half-eaten eggroll and a burnt piece of toast.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:42 AM   #4330
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Radii does bring up a good point though - pestering details aside, I absolutely did not expect a dragon to die this episode and especially not right then.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #4331
JPhillips
General Manager

"I heard you got raped a lot."

"Yeah, but it made me the strong woman I am today."

yuck
Old 05-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #4332
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So, my prediction for why they were looking up at the sky ominously in the trailer....

Gandalf called the eagles.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #4333
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
The actual army of the dead? I thought they basically turned to dust when the Night King was killed, or at least the ones who weren't recently turned did.

I thought the actual dead just fell to the ground, but it was dark enough that I could be wrong.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:23 AM   #4334
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And has nobody ever heard of scouts? Given there's been precedent of the Lanisters using ballistas against dragons, and the way that dragon #3 met his end you'd have thought that anybody with a miniscule brain wouldn't have the dragons flying anywhere near the front of the formation. This really does feel like the lowest common denominator rush to an ending that can be tense and interesting.

I was thinking the same thing.. maybe send a scout ship to see what Cersei's army has been up to while the war of the dead was going on? Would you really fly your dragons into an unknown and risk losing another one?

I also wondered how the hell Bronn just sneaks into the castle and knows exactly where Jamie and Tyrion are?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #4335
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
And has nobody ever heard of scouts? Given there's been precedent of the Lanisters using ballistas against dragons, and the way that dragon #3 met his end you'd have thought that anybody with a miniscule brain wouldn't have the dragons flying anywhere near the front of the formation.
The have access to the best scout alive. Just have Bran tap into the tree and see what Euron's ships are up to. At some point, he should be able to figure out they are making dozens and dozens of these "Gatling gun" style reloadable crossbows to put on ships and towers.

I liked this episode, but I do agree they are really having people make questionable decisions to wrap this up in a few episodes. Having the dragons exposed wasn't smart, having no scouting or using Bran, and a lot of what Jon is doing. Still, I get the goal and with this self-imposed time crunch - I think this was always going to feel a little rushed. I do like we got rid of the Night King for these final episodes so we can get back to the normal human intrigue.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #4336
Izulde
Head Coach

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...cup-winterfell

Lulz.

Also, while I totally get the sending Ghost up north (direwolves don't fare well in hot climates, so it's protecting him to not take him with), I still think it's BS that Jon didn't even bother to say goodbye to him. Another shitty move among all the others he made this episode, and the one that probably bothers me the most.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #4337
bronconick
College Starter

Petting a direwolf is apparently CGI they weren't willing to spend money on.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #4338
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm rooting for Cercei I think. She's the only fit ruler.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #4339
BishopMVP
Coordinator

According to the showrunners explanation of the ambush Dany forgot about the Iron Fleet (and I guess so did Tyrion, Varys, Grey Worm, Missandei etc?) So maybe Euron also forgot about the non-Missandei people swimming to shore once he killed a dragon and destroyed their ships, and Cersei forgot that she blew up the Sept of Baelor and has dozens (hundreds?) of huge accurate crossbows that can shoot to where Daenerys and her honor guard are, if not the 3rd dragon too.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #4340
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm still on Team Dany. While the show is trying to shift her as a Mad Queen who will go against what she set out to be, I still think at her core she's the idealistic visionary she planned to be. It's just that her life has been defined by the ceaseless loss of those closest to her (no particular order):

*Khal Drogo
*Their son
*Her brother (yeah he was a hateful, narcissistic weenie who lacked anything to recommend him as the ruler, but family still family)
*Jorah
*Missandei
*Her dragons

She's in many respects a tragic heroine. Her winning the throne would be a delicious subversion of the usual tragic structure, where the hero ends up dead or blinded/exiled.

Yes, she's made some rash decisions along the way and her idealism has occasionally caused her to make well-intentioned tactical errors (as opposed to Jon, who is just out and out dumb and always has been), but she's constantly strived for her goal - even when faced with countless loss and obstacles that seek to impede her advancement - both in Essos and in Westeros.

This seeming madness is less the result of character flaws on her part (or even her Targaryen blood imo), and more the compiled, compounded accumulation of the weight of grief and suffering.

Even if she loses the game (as seems likely, because the showrunners have zero interest in subtlety or subversion at this point), she still is one of the most compelling and empathetic characters in the series.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #4341
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No one scouts on this show. It's been the case since early on. As far as the previous ballistas, IIRC they were very ineffective. Which is why Qyburn went to work updating them into what we have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Like Ned, he's just so terribly naive that its just silly. Jon to Dany: "What could possibly go wrong if I tell my sisters who hate you that I'm the rightful heir to the throne?" Dany got pretty stern there. Do we take that as a death threat or is that a bit much?

It's less of a what can go wrong, per se, as in a I love my family more than I love you and I want them to know this really big thing about myself. Of course he had little choice until they confronted him about selling out the North to Dany (because he had to show Dany that he was going to be ever loyal to her no mater what).
Old 05-06-2019, 01:41 PM   #4342
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
It's less of a what can go wrong, per se, as in a I love my family more than I love you and I want them to know this really big thing about myself. Of course he had little choice until they confronted him about selling out the North to Dany (because he had to show Dany that he was going to be ever loyal to her no mater what).

Yeah I agree with all this, but when Jon tells Dany its not a big deal for him to tell Sansa and Ayra, they'll keep it a secret and it won't cause any problems, I think Jon sincerely believes all of those things and he's the only character in the entire show still alive who is stupid and naive enough that I can actually buy the fact that he sincerely believes those things.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #4343
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
I'm still on Team Dany. While the show is trying to shift her as a Mad Queen who will go against what she set out to be, I still think at her core she's the idealistic visionary she planned to be. It's just that her life has been defined by the ceaseless loss of those closest to her (no particular order):

*Khal Drogo
*Their son
*Her brother (yeah he was a hateful, narcissistic weenie who lacked anything to recommend him as the ruler, but family still family)
*Jorah
*Missandei
*Her dragons

She's in many respects a tragic heroine. Her winning the throne would be a delicious subversion of the usual tragic structure, where the hero ends up dead or blinded/exiled.

Yes, she's made some rash decisions along the way and her idealism has occasionally caused her to make well-intentioned tactical errors (as opposed to Jon, who is just out and out dumb and always has been), but she's constantly strived for her goal - even when faced with countless loss and obstacles that seek to impede her advancement - both in Essos and in Westeros.

This seeming madness is less the result of character flaws on her part (or even her Targaryen blood imo), and more the compiled, compounded accumulation of the weight of grief and suffering.

Even if she loses the game (as seems likely, because the showrunners have zero interest in subtlety or subversion at this point), she still is one of the most compelling and empathetic characters in the series.

I see things a little differently. Yes Dany will win the throne, with Cersei falling in the next episode (at whose hands to be determined, but it'll be fist-pumping moment, for sure).

But the losses that you mentioned above is what cumulatively is driving her to madness. And there's this lingering reminder that the true threat to her position still is Jon/Aegon. This persistent paranoia, and a revelation to her that her advisors have been scheming to make him king, is what tips her over to true madness.

She'll kill off everyone who is involved in this treachery, including Jon. Tyrion, being Tyrion, will somehow talk himself out of being executed - seems it's the only thing he's good at.

Closing scene will be Dany at the throne, fire in her eyes. Grey Worm as her queens guard because he has nowhere else to go, with Missandei gone. And Tyrion as the reluctant Hand of the Queen, out of fear, no less.

Fade to black.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #4344
sabotai
General Manager

Euron ambushing them makes a lot of sense. One fleet that doesn't know the area vs. a fleet that knows every rock and current. It was quite common in history.

What doesn't make sense is that Dany and the dragons didn't see them from how high up they were. Dany should have easily seen them over the rock outcropping the Iron Fleet was hiding behind.

Quote:
According to the showrunners explanation of the ambush Dany forgot about the Iron Fleet

Oh come on, that's just fucking stupid.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #4345
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm surprised that so many of you in this thread who were tearing apart the battle tactics in the Long Night are being so forgiving now of the sea battle. I'm the opposite. Although I think there were definitely some dumb tactics in last week's show, I was more forgiving because it did look fantastic and it ended pretty well (between Theon's redemption and Arya's kill).

This week, the sea battle scene finally broke through my wall of incredulity. Seriously, now, Euron's surprise fleet is hiding behind a rather small rock island and not one person managed to spot them (not to mention the Dragon Queen herself well positioned to scout the area out)? Machine gun ballistas with accuracy that defy anything even seen in current modern weaponry? And not circling around behind the ships and burning them up is absolutely unforgivable. Are you kidding me? On a dragon, and coldly mad at the loss of your other dragon, I would have come up behind and wiped out the entire backline. Those ships couldn't easily turn around-- they were in a confined space between two rock islands (and ships turn much slower than dragons anyway). There is no reason to leave even one of those ships floating except plot armor (in this case to set up the Missandei capture and keep despicable Euron alive).

Missandei would have been alive, Euron would be dead and all Ilremaining Iron Fleet ships would be Yara's. Cersei would have no sea power at all. But, no, like someone said above, everyone has to be stupid so that Cersei can actually stay at her level of imbecility and pettiness and remain threatening.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-06-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #4346
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I'm surprised that so many of you in this thread who were tearing apart the battle tactics in the Long Night are being so forgiving now of the sea battle.

Last week, my expectations were up. This week, they were rock bottom.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:51 PM   #4347
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post

Closing scene will be Dany at the throne, fire in her eyes. Grey Worm as her queens guard because he has nowhere else to go, with Missandei gone. And Tyrion as the reluctant Hand of the Queen, out of fear, no less.

Fade to black.

I think the final scene should be a victorious Dany flying Drogon right at us Back to the Future-style while "Don't Stop Believing" cranks in the background.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-06-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #4348
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Last week, my expectations were up. This week, they were rock bottom.

They were stupid both weeks. You should be annoyed/frustrated at both.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #4349
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think the final scene should be a victorious Dany flying Drogon right at us Back to the Future-style while "Don't Stop Believing" cranks in the background.

OMG.

A Sopranos like ending with Cersei, Dany, and Arya in the throne room

and cut to back.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #4350
sabotai
General Manager

Ned Stark wakes up. It was all a dream.