Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #201
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Bengals have been and are in the top 25% of the teams, which is saying a lot. Playoffs can be a fluky thing but it would be so easy for the Bengals to become mediocre, where many teams are, if they listen to the knee-jerk fans. Most teams wish they were in the top 4 but that's a rare place to be, esp if they think a team can simply dump a coach or qb for a hall of famer one.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:16 PM   #202
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Bengals have been and are in the top 25% of the teams, which is saying a lot. Playoffs can be a fluky thing but it would be so easy for the Bengals to become mediocre, where many teams are, if they listen to the knee-jerk fans. Most teams wish they were in the top 4 but that's a rare place to be, esp if they think a team can simply dump a coach or qb for a hall of famer one.

This.

IMO making a statement like " we need to find a new QB" is pretty uneducated. With the exception of about 5-8 teams in the NFL, they all would like a new QB.

Playing QB is really hard, the consensus is there are about 5 guys on a planet with 7 billion people who do it at an elite level. To just say " we need to find a QB" is lazy and ignorant, Everyone is searching for Manning, Luck, Brees, Rodgers, and Brady. Those guys just aren't out there, and if you don't have one, but have a guy with some talent, like Dalton, you need to find a way to win. It can be done, but to just make a blanket statement like " we need a new QB" shows a lack of knowledge.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #203
Buccaneer
Head Coach

You're not going to draft one either; someone like Luck is a one-in-ten-year thing.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #204
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
You're not going to draft one either; someone like Luck is a one-in-ten-year thing.

If you count Wilson, I'd say twice in a decade. Still can't believe his height alone caused him to fall to the third round.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #205
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Agree.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:01 PM   #206
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This fact doesn't stop Cleveland from trying every other year.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #207
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Including regular season and playoffs, Matthew Stafford is 0-18 all time on the road against teams that finished regular season above .500
Old 01-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #208
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
meh

I'm glad the Giants don't make change for the sake of change. Do you really want your team to turn into the Browns or the Raiders? Thats what happens when you make coaching changes just because.

We're every bit as irrelevant as the Browns and raiders. 5 years and counting without a playoff victory.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #209
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
We're every bit as irrelevant as the Browns and raiders. 5 years and counting without a playoff victory.

Four seasons, not five.

12-4, lost SB in 2010
12-4, lost WC in 2011
8-8
8-8
11-5, lost WC in 2014

All in all, that's not too bad. Many teams would kill for that kind of track record. It's certainly not what everyone wants - everyone wants a SB win ever year - but sheesh. The team goes 49-29 over that span and you want to clean house? Fire Tomlin or Colbert and you won't even get the press release out before they have new jobs.

It was one loss, one that was compounded by your team MVP being out, an offense that couldn't punch the ball in the endzone and going -2 in turnover differential. The Steelers outgained the Ravens by about 100 yards but lost due to poor execution. End of story. It happens.

As others have pointed out, you're grossly overreacting but that's somewhat predictable. You've been doing that for some time. For instance, that ancient defense? There were only two starters over the age of 30 against the Ravens - Harrison (due to injury) and Troy. Everyone else was 30 or under. Doesn't seem ancient to me. The defense wasn't dominant this year, but that was somewhat to be expected as some of the young guys got playing time. Some did well (Tuitt), some didn't (Allen) and quite a few (Shazier, Jones) the jury is still out on mostly due to injuries.

In short, the team made the playoffs and improved by 3 wins. It's not the ideal season, but it was a damn good one.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #210
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Four seasons, not five.

12-4, lost SB in 2010
12-4, lost WC in 2011
8-8
8-8
11-5, lost WC in 2014

All in all, that's not too bad. Many teams would kill for that kind of track record. It's certainly not what everyone wants - everyone wants a SB win ever year - but sheesh. The team goes 49-29 over that span and you want to clean house? Fire Tomlin or Colbert and you won't even get the press release out before they have new jobs.

It was one loss, one that was compounded by your team MVP being out, an offense that couldn't punch the ball in the endzone and going -2 in turnover differential. The Steelers outgained the Ravens by about 100 yards but lost due to poor execution. End of story. It happens.

As others have pointed out, you're grossly overreacting but that's somewhat predictable. You've been doing that for some time. For instance, that ancient defense? There were only two starters over the age of 30 against the Ravens - Harrison (due to injury) and Troy. Everyone else was 30 or under. Doesn't seem ancient to me. The defense wasn't dominant this year, but that was somewhat to be expected as some of the young guys got playing time. Some did well (Tuitt), some didn't (Allen) and quite a few (Shazier, Jones) the jury is still out on mostly due to injuries.

In short, the team made the playoffs and improved by 3 wins. It's not the ideal season, but it was a damn good one.

+1
Old 01-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #211
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't think Marvin will get the team much farther, but Mike Brown would almost certainly hire someone worse and take back a lot of personnel control.

That's the purgatory of being a Bengals fan; they aren't good enough and if they make changes they'll get worse.

Yeah, unfortunately this.

As pissed as I was watching the game yesterday, I really don't think the Bengals are going to do any better than Dalton unless they get a top-2 pick and even then it's a crapshoot.

I think the more logical change is the head coaching position even if that means potential turmoil and regression. Anything would be a welcome change from 10-6 and first round losses every single year. But my expectation is that things would ultimately get worse... but it is worth a shot.

However, this idea that the Bengals are what they are and the fans should be happy with it is bogus.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 AM   #212
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Including regular season and playoffs, Matthew Stafford is 0-18 all time on the road against teams that finished regular season above .500

Just wow.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #213
Thomkal
Head Coach

Firefighters battle blaze at home of Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera - ESPN
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #214
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Stafford for Dalton straight up (leaving accelerated cap hits out of it). Which team says no?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #215
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think I'd take Stafford.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #216
Butter
Coordinator

The Lions would say no.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #217
kingfc22
Head Coach

Rams back to LA?

St. Louis Rams owner planning stadium site in Los Angeles - ESPN Los Angeles

Last edited by kingfc22 : 01-05-2015 at 12:10 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #218
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

I think the more logical change is the head coaching position even if that means potential turmoil and regression. Anything would be a welcome change from 10-6 and first round losses every single year. But my expectation is that things would ultimately get worse... but it is worth a shot.

However, this idea that the Bengals are what they are and the fans should be happy with it is bogus.

I think the big problem for whoever comes in that the trust of the Brown family would no longer be there and I could easily see them putting themselves back in a position of making personnel decisions.

It was a group that wasn't able to keep up with football in the 1990's, I hate to see how their style translates to 2015.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #219
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

Pretty sure 2015 will be their last year in St. Louis.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #220
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I think the big problem for whoever comes in that the trust of the Brown family would no longer be there and I could easily see them putting themselves back in a position of making personnel decisions.

It was a group that wasn't able to keep up with football in the 1990's, I hate to see how their style translates to 2015.

Maybe so, but as one of my friends put it, it was almost better to be a fan when nothing was expected of the Bengals. At least then, most weeks you wouldn't have a game to watch because they were always blacked out... and you went in every week with zero expectations. So each win was met with actual delight.

Every year now, I go in with the belief that if the team could just get hot at the right time or figure something out in the playoffs that they could win a one-off against one of the actual AFC powers and make their way to another Super Bowl. And every year, the actual team performance scoffs at my expectations and hurr-durrs its way to another horrible playoff game loss.

Now, I would definitely rather be a fan of a team that wins than doesn't and at least have the chance to win a playoff game... but it's become nearly hopeless that they will improve beyond where they are right now and suddenly become some 13-3 team that wins home field and overwhelms other teams with their great offense (like the '88 team) or their great defense (like... no team we've ever had).

It's just hard to really care as much anymore, and if they don't change anything and expect improved results next year, they are really fooling themselves. And since it's Mike Brown, he probably doesn't even really care to improve anyway as long as the bottom line is healthy.

Last edited by Butter : 01-05-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #221
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Maybe so, but as one of my friends put it, it was almost better to be a fan when nothing was expected of the Bengals. At least then, most weeks you wouldn't have a game to watch because they were always blacked out... and you went in every week with zero expectations. So each win was met with actual delight.

Every year now, I go in with the belief that if the team could just get hot at the right time or figure something out in the playoffs that they could win a one-off against one of the actual AFC powers and make their way to another Super Bowl. And every year, the actual team performance scoffs at my expectations and hurr-durrs its way to another horrible playoff game loss.

Now, I would definitely rather be a fan of a team that wins than doesn't and at least have the chance to win a playoff game... but it's become nearly hopeless that they will improve beyond where they are right now and suddenly become some 13-3 team that wins home field and overwhelms other teams with their great offense (like the '88 team) or their great defense (like... no team we've ever had).

It's just hard to really care as much anymore, and if they don't change anything and expect improved results next year, they are really fooling themselves. And since it's Mike Brown, he probably doesn't even really care to improve anyway as long as the bottom line is healthy.

I actually said this to my GF yesterday...when we sucked i was happy for a win... now I just look at our useless QB and coach who is over his head and get mad.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #222
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Stafford for Dalton straight up (leaving accelerated cap hits out of it). Which team says no?

I was thinking cutler....

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #223
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

If Cutler became a Bengal, I would kill someone.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 01-05-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #224
BillJasper
Pro Starter

If the Jets hire Tom Cable, they might as well have stayed with Rex Ryan.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #225
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Pretty sure 2015 will be their last year in St. Louis.

St. Louis has some big problems on their hands. They've done a terribly poor job of planning in their urban core and it's really starting to bite them in the ass. The sports team is only a small indicator.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #226
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Things just keep getting better in Miami!

Dolphins hiring Mike Tannenbaum as executive V.P. of football operations | ProFootballTalk

Let's hire the guy that destroyed the Jets salary cap!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-stephen-ross/

So Philbin will report to Ross, with Hickey the GM reporting to Tannenbaum. What could go wrong?

Last edited by BillJasper : 01-06-2015 at 03:07 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:15 PM   #227
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Alright, I want you folks to file this one away. By the end of his fifth year in the league, four years from now, CB Aaron Colvin will either have at least one Pro Bowl level season under his belt. He looked downright uncanny after coming back from injury in his rookie year. A lot of people aren't talking about him yet, since the team did poorly. But get ready, NFL. Get ready.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #228
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Giants fire Perry Fewell. I really hope they make a run at Rex if he doesnt get a head coaching gig.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #229
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

No way. Stafford is erratic and inconsistent, but no way I'd rather have Andy Dalton.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #230
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Giants fire Perry Fewell. I really hope they make a run at Rex if he doesnt get a head coaching gig.
Never was a fan of Fewell. I think he got dam lucky in 2011 with us having a passrush but the moment that went away, so did his ability to generate even a pedestrian level of pressure.

Having said that...I don't know that he's had much to work with considering all of the injuries at CB, the general ineffectiveness of our DL, and the fact that we treat the LB position with the importance of a backup P.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #231
SteveMax58
College Starter

Dola,

I think Spagnuolo is the most likely replacement candidate for Fewell. Also gives the Giants (and Spags) a possible successor for Coughlin.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #232
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Dola,

I think Spagnuolo is the most likely replacement candidate for Fewell. Also gives the Giants (and Spags) a possible successor for Coughlin.

Supposedly, the successor is McAdoo.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:56 PM   #233
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Why would Sean Payton put up with Rob Ryan another year? It's irrelevant that some players like Ryan. I would think Payton would have some say in wanting to replace him.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #234
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I think the Lions are still the only team to have ever been fined by the NFL for violating the Rooney Rule. It was when Matt Millen was GM, so I don't doubt that they did violate it, because he's a fucking idiot and the worst ever, but I can't imagine no other team has violated the rule.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #235
Atocep
Coordinator

John Clayton reporting that Lovie prefers Jameis over Mariota.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:52 AM   #236
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
John Clayton reporting that Lovie prefers Jameis over Mariota.

Probably trying to get the Bucs to fire him.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:53 AM   #237
Butter
Coordinator

I don't think that's as ridiculous as it sounds. I think both are pretty high risk prospects.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #238
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't think that's as ridiculous as it sounds. I think both are pretty high risk prospects.

Agreed. Its funny you just wish you could combine the two. Winston has darn near every physical tool but his intangibles are...mixex at best. Seems to be a leader, but his decision making (off the field) screams 13 year old.

Mariotta on the other hand has every intangible you would want but lacks the physical superiority of Jameis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
will either have at least one Pro Bowl level season under his belt. H.

or...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #239
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Agreed. Its funny you just wish you could combine the two. Winston has darn near every physical tool but his intangibles are...mixex at best. Seems to be a leader, but his decision making (off the field) screams 13 year old.

Mariotta on the other hand has every intangible you would want but lacks the physical superiority of Jameis.

or...

Or you can embarrass me in front of everyone here!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #240
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Why would Sean Payton put up with Rob Ryan another year? It's irrelevant that some players like Ryan. I would think Payton would have some say in wanting to replace him.

Saints go though defensive coordinators like used Kleenex. I think that had Payton fired Ryan, they might have had trouble attracting another good candidate.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #241
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bears hire Ryan Pace as GM out of the blue.

Collective response from the office, "Who the hell is that?"

(For the record, he was with the Saints)

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-08-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #242
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Saints message board is upset, which is a good sign for you guys. He was the team's lead scout.

In general, I like it when teams try a new guy instead of hiring a GM or coach who's failed 3 other places.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #243
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: In case you cared to see, CW: Bears hire Ryan Pace as GM - New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards
Old 01-08-2015, 03:48 PM   #244
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well this almost happened:

Kurt Warner: I would’ve considered a return to the Cardinals | ProFootballTalk
Old 01-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #245
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

After five years, I think that would've had all kinds of bad idea written all over it. I imagine they'd be scraping him off the turf after the first big hit.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #246
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

He's been turning down interviews for a couple of years. He's been one of the more sought-after candidates, but his name hasn't been out there because he doesn't interview. He was more or less the Saints GM this year and has been running a large part of the team for a couple years.

Very interesting that he decided to take the bears job out of the blue.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #247
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
After five years, I think that would've had all kinds of bad idea written all over it. I imagine they'd be scraping him off the turf after the first big hit.

Would he still be better than Lindley though? Not a lot to dislike about Coach Arians, but not having a veteran QB (Rex Grossman perhaps?) stored on the roster so when it became clear Lindley wasn't going to cut it, he'd have had enough time to get familiar with the playbook and his receivers was just plain out a horrible mistake.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #248
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dunno about Arizona's cap but they should snag Peterson or Murray(or Spilled?) if possible. Or go back early in the draft. Not being able to run was a big deal too.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #249
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Would he still be better than Lindley though? Not a lot to dislike about Coach Arians, but not having a veteran QB (Rex Grossman perhaps?) stored on the roster so when it became clear Lindley wasn't going to cut it, he'd have had enough time to get familiar with the playbook and his receivers was just plain out a horrible mistake.

Sexy Rexy was kite surfing. No really, he was.

Rex Grossman turns down return to Browns in favor of family | ProFootballTalk
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #250
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Dunno about Arizona's cap but they should snag Peterson or Murray(or Spilled?) if possible. Or go back early in the draft. Not being able to run was a big deal too.

They were ok until Ellington got hurt.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote