Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2020, 11:22 PM   #2851
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I remember when this all first started one of the worst case estimates I read was 3,000,000 deaths in the US, and that figure always stuck like a lump in my throat, even though it was like an early, worst case estimate, based on us doing absolutely nothing, so in that regard today's estimate of 100-200,000 dead in the US was practically therapeutic to me, even though it's had the exact opposite result for lots of folks.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-29-2020 at 11:24 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:22 PM   #2852
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Just the picture from that Alabama press conference sucks confidence out of me.

It looks like they're in a back corner of a bank. And check out those two goons.

more like a booth in the exhibit hall at a gaming convention
those aren't goons they give demos but the company is forced to admit they forgot their games and must describe them to the crowd
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #2853
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm gonna guess the next set of unemployment nos. are going to be very bad also.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/inves...rus/index.html
Quote:
Macy's is furloughing a majority of its 125,000 employees because of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, which has sunk sales and forced it close to its stores.

The company said Monday that the pandemic has taken a "heavy toll" on its business. Macy's (M), which also owns Bloomingdale's and Bluemercury, closed all of its 775 stores in the United States earlier this month to slow the virus from spreading in crowded areas, and because of laws in some states that forced the closure of nonessential businesses, including retailers.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #2854
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

If I'm reading the bill right, a lot of people in retail might stand to make more from unemployment, with the 600 dollar a week extra kicker. It's sad this virus is attacking us on so many fronts.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #2855
miami_fan
Coordinator

Drip, drip, drip

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...241609941.html

Quote:
Gov. Ron DeSantis will turn safer-at-home advice into an order, but only for Southeast Florida, he announced Monday.

At a press conference at the drive-thru testing site at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens on Monday, DeSantis announced he would be signing an executive order urging those in Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and Monroe Counties to stay home through “mid-May.”

His order sets in stone what many South Florida communities have already done to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus.

That sound you hear is the traffic heading back up I-75 and I-95.

The other story in Florida is one I think people mentioned as a problem earlier in the thread.

Pastor of Tampa church that held two large Sunday services arrested, jailed

Quote:
The pastor of a Tampa megachurch who held two services on Sunday for scores of worshipers was arrested Monday for violating a county order requiring residents to stay at home to limit the spread of coronavirus.

The last time I was out of the house, most of the churches that I passed were advertising drive thru services where the parishioners stayed in or near their cars while the service went on in front of them.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:53 PM   #2856
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I really hope someone challenges this arrest on first amendment grounds.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 03-30-2020 at 02:53 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:05 PM   #2857
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Oh it is going to be challenged.

What has already become fascinating has been the bedfellows that are coming together on this.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #2858
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Branch Covidians
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #2859
Kodos
Resident Alien

You attend a service there, you all get to stay there for a couple weeks. How's that sound?
Old 03-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #2860
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Crowds gather on Manhattan's west side to watch arrival of USNS Comfort

Looks like the ship will have no shortage of patients...
Old 03-30-2020, 03:53 PM   #2861
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

They would lose. Quite easily.

Coronavirus gathering bans raise religious freedom questions | National Catholic Reporter

Quote:
Religious organizations could make a constitutional claim to being singled out by a law that treats secular activity differently, said Eugene Volokh, a UCLA Law School professor and First Amendment expert. "But if you're just imposing the same burden on everybody, for reasons completely unrelated to religiosity of the behavior, that is likely to be permissible even" under state-level religious freedom laws, he said.

Those religious freedom laws ask whether government restrictions are the least burdensome way to further a "compelling interest." When it comes to coronavirus, Volokh said, courts are likely to find "there's a compelling interest in preventing death through communicable disease."

Luke Goodrich, vice president of the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty and a top religious freedom attorney, agreed that the public health emergency of the pandemic would make the governmental case for restrictions on gatherings, including worship, "far stronger than usual."

Volokh is highly respected on First Amendment issues, FWIW.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #2862
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:

I hope they throw the good book at him...I...wait....
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:16 PM   #2863
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Branch Covidians

I was thinking he might be a revelation guy, but this way better then where I was going.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:30 PM   #2864
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

There is some precedent here. Jacobson vs Massachusetts being the main one. I would be surprised if they overturned that.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #2865
RainMaker
General Manager

Well this is good news.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #2866
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Drip, drip, drip

Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Monday morning that those living in Southeast Florida should stay home until mid-May to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus. He would sign an executive order, he said, urging those in Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and Monroe Counties to stay home.
Welp... that's not as far-reaching as I hoped, and not as long as I hoped (already a correction has been made)

Quote:
DeSantis says he misspoke: South Florida to stay home until April 15, not May 15
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #2867
tarcone
Coordinator

I was talking to my Dad today who lives in Florida. He said all the New Yorkers are fleeing NY. Florida has put up a road block on I95 and are quarantining all people from NY, NJ, and CT for 14 days.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #2868
tarcone
Coordinator

And our Governor has no intention of implementing a stay at home order and is relying on individual responsibility. Jeez, what world does this guy live in?

Old 03-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #2869
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I was talking to my Dad today who lives in Florida. He said all the New Yorkers are fleeing NY. Florida has put up a road block on I95 and are quarantining all people from NY, NJ, and CT for 14 days.

Uh ... so they get to stay in GA?
Old 03-30-2020, 05:05 PM   #2870
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Uh ... so they get to stay in GA?

They are allowed and forced into a 14 day quarantine. Not sure how they enforce that, though.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:13 PM   #2871
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
...Not sure how they enforce that, though.
BINGO! And that's why we're frustrated at another half-assed, half thought out response.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #2872
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
BINGO! And that's why we're frustrated at another half-assed, half thought out response.

Is there a way outside of basically putting them in custody and taking them somewhere?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #2873
thesloppy
Pro Starter

They're probably putting them on the beaches.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:21 PM   #2874
Edward64
Head Coach

Second war of northern aggression
Old 03-30-2020, 05:22 PM   #2875
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Is there a way outside of basically putting them in custody and taking them somewhere?
No, of course not. So other than the "threat" which may be a lukewarm deterrent, there really is no other true consequence to it.

Last edited by tyketime : 03-30-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #2876
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Basically, if it's like what's happening here in RI. Checkpoints pull over people with out of state License plates (if you don't stop at checkpoint you get pulled over by cops). They ask if you're passing through, or going to work. If not, they ask you for where you're staying, and I think the Board of Health follows up with a quarantine notice.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:33 PM   #2877
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Arizona is starting a shelter-in-place EO by the governor tomorrow. I'm not sure what really changes if there are a thousand reasons you can leave your house though.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:35 PM   #2878
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Well this is good news.

Not that i want to be that guy but it does seem like a drop on saturday happened the 2 weeks prior as well. No idea if that would be due to reporting/data input lag or people simply trying to 'wait it out' on those days or not being able to get to their regular doctor who would send them on ... But it seems noteworthy.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:45 PM   #2879
whomario
Pro Starter

Spain with over 900 deaths today ... France with their highest 1 day total as well with 418 and none of their numbers include those dying in Retirement homes etc and never getting admitted. Began moving patients by Highspeed train since Paris is past capacity. Almost 40% hospitalisation rate, so still lagging behind in testing.

Italy might slooooowly be taking a turn looking at the numbers in context. Lots more testing, yet still less new cases and soon a decent number should start to recover so that active cases can go down (serious cases already are going down as more of the new cases are mild ones they could not test a week or two ago)

Germany actually taking on a small number of patients now from France and Italy which is good to see, but moving them is a pain. Italy can only move 2 at a time, german Air Force has a converted Airbus A310 that can move 6 ICU patients and (in theory) 44 total, but that total normally not meant to be infectious illnesses where breathing can pretty much stop mid-flight ...
At about 500k tests a week now but until antibody tests are ready that is the max that can be done with the current lab capacity and ressources.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 03-30-2020 at 05:55 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:21 PM   #2880
miami_fan
Coordinator

Drip Drip, drip drip

Quote:
The day after President Trump extended his social distancing guidelines through April 30, Florida’s education commissioner on Monday called on school districts to remain closed until May 1.

In-person classes already had been called off through April 15, with all spring testing canceled. Distance learning began in earnest Monday morning for most schools, after an extended spring break.

School ends locally on May 29th.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #2881
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Schools were just cancelled for the year in AZ.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #2882
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Schools were just cancelled for the year in AZ.

I almost with they would call it here in NJ. Just put us out of our misery already
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:03 PM   #2883
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I almost with they would call it here in NJ. Just put us out of our misery already

We're out until April 15. There's no fucking way they'll go back in the middle of April, so I'm not sure why they aren't out until at least May at this point.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #2884
tarcone
Coordinator

We are out through April 24th. Taking it 3 weeks at a time.

My daughter graduates this year I am seriously bummed. And she even more. My wife is in a group of Moms that are trying to plan something for them.

I hope our district lets them in July or August if need be.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #2885
RainMaker
General Manager

Just lovely

Old 03-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #2886
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

On the schools thing, I figure most of the powers that be are just taking things one step at a time. As fast as this thing is changing, it doesn't seem imprudent to me to focus on what they need to do the next week or to only in most circumstances.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:38 PM   #2887
spleen1015
Coordinator

My daughter's school district started spring break today for the next 2 weeks. After that, they're schooling from home Tuesday - Thursday through the rest of April. Finals exams and the standardized testing have been cancelled as well.

I don't see how they go back to school this year. I'll be surprised if they go back to school on time for next year.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:40 PM   #2888
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
We're out until April 15. There's no fucking way they'll go back in the middle of April, so I'm not sure why they aren't out until at least May at this point.

We were told they will reasses 4/17. I don't think we go back this year.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:42 PM   #2889
Jas_lov
College Starter

If your state said schools would go back in 2-3 weeks would you let your kids go? I can see some keeping their kids at home until fall.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #2890
rjolley
College Starter

Our kids were out until April 14th, but that was extended to May 4th. Since school is done the first week of June, we don't see them going back this year, but they haven't called it yet.

The district is loaning out devices for those that need them to start elearning on the 14th. Should be interesting....
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #2891
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
If your state said schools would go back in 2-3 weeks would you let your kids go? I can see some keeping their kids at home until fall.

We've talked about it and, with my father-in-law living with us, we won't with what we know now. That would change based on updated information, access to treatments, etc.

Last edited by rjolley : 03-30-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #2892
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Ohio schools have been suspended until may 1st.

I don't know how they didn't extend the "stay at home" order at the same time.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:50 PM   #2893
rjolley
College Starter

And I think that's my first double dola. (Damn, almost....)

Last edited by rjolley : 03-30-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #2894
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

Had this conversation with a friend the other day as to how schools would handle this. They obviously have rules as to how many days can be missed, etc...Would they waive those? Would they send work home for kids to do who aren't attending? Maybe some kind of waiver for people who live with someone at higher risk? It is a complicated issue.

To answer your question it would be a game time decision based off how things are going.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:58 PM   #2895
tarcone
Coordinator

Our governor continues with his ignorance of what is happening. He said Missouri would peak around mid April or withing the next 60-90 days which then it will be over.

What a dumbass. I really liked him as a governor until now. But maybe I liked him because he did not cowtow to the urban areas. Which he continues.

But this is a whole new game and he is still playing the old game.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:01 PM   #2896
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post

The district is loaning out devices for those that need them to start elearning on the 14th. Should be interesting....

When they cancelled for us it was initially for two weeks, no one really thought we would go back after though.

The sent all the kids home will well designed paper packets for 2 weeks of work. Once it became obvious we weren't going back they planned to do elearning. That started today and it was a bit of a shitshow.

The main app my daughter, first grade, uses crashed and no one could get on. the direction from the teachers was brutal. They made WAY too many assumptions that parents could intuitively use the different platforms.

My son, fourth grade, uses several platforms for math, science, etc...and can navigate them. The problem is all the passwords are remember in his chromebook at school and he doesn't know any of them. I had to email the teacher several times to get them. It was a big time suck.

all of this while trying to keep the 6 year old focused on her work and not chasing the cats every 3 seconds.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:56 PM   #2897
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
When they cancelled for us it was initially for two weeks, no one really thought we would go back after though.

The sent all the kids home will well designed paper packets for 2 weeks of work. Once it became obvious we weren't going back they planned to do elearning. That started today and it was a bit of a shitshow.

The main app my daughter, first grade, uses crashed and no one could get on. the direction from the teachers was brutal. They made WAY too many assumptions that parents could intuitively use the different platforms.

My son, fourth grade, uses several platforms for math, science, etc...and can navigate them. The problem is all the passwords are remember in his chromebook at school and he doesn't know any of them. I had to email the teacher several times to get them. It was a big time suck.

all of this while trying to keep the 6 year old focused on her work and not chasing the cats every 3 seconds.

So far, it's been ok here. They have Chromebooks at school and, by total coincidence, we had gotten the kids Chromebooks a few weeks ago for home to do additional work and for our 6th grader to do research. They are able to log into their school accounts on the Chromebook at home and access everything they have at school. So, from that regard, it's worked well.

However, the school is using Zoom and they don't have the Zoom app loaded in the school accounts, so they have to use their home account to do the meetings with their teachers and classmates.

Overall, it's worked well, with me playing IT while trying to work from home. Hopefully, once they start elearning in earnest, it will continue to work well.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:33 PM   #2898
JPhillips
General Manager

At least 400 long-term care facilities around the country have residents that have tested positive.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:49 PM   #2899
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Not official yet but reports coming out that Michigan will be next on the closing schools for the rest of the year bandwagon.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:10 AM   #2900
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Looks like it has been there for awhile now and is spreading rampantly. Facing mentioned Florida weeks ago as an up and coming hotspot. Not sure putting the resources into New Yorkers seems smart at this time.

Feels a bit like an excuse lined up by a state that didn't take the virus seriously and is about to get hammered.