Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 08:17 PM   #4201
Jas_lov
College Starter

I can barely watch this. Trump is awful.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:18 PM   #4202
tarcone
Coordinator

Jeez, sounds like a couple old drunk dudes arguing about shit at a bar.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
Old 09-29-2020, 08:18 PM   #4203
Atocep
Coordinator

This is unwatchable
Old 09-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #4204
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Oh boy. Joe is already looking like he is not sure what he is talking about.

He needs an ear piece with someone telling him what to say.

This isn't even a little true.

I don't care who you are, if Trump was constantly interrupting you it would be hard to make a point.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:21 PM   #4205
Atocep
Coordinator

Biden is doing fine. It's impossible to debate someone that doesn't want to debate. Trump isn't prepared and doesn't want to debate.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:21 PM   #4206
Jas_lov
College Starter

Would you shut up man. What a train wreck.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #4207
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just mute his fucking mic
Old 09-29-2020, 08:23 PM   #4208
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This isn't even a little true.

I don't care who you are, if Trump was constantly interrupting you it would be hard to make a point.

I was commenting on his opening question before Trump started constantly interrupting him.

He was stumbling over facts and didnt seem like he was sure of what he wanted to say.

I actually think he is doing better now that Trump keeps interrupting him. Seems like Joe is settling in and getting pissed.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
Old 09-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #4209
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I was commenting on his opening question before Trump started constantly interrupting him.

He was stumbling over facts and didnt seem like he was sure of what he wanted to say.

I actually think he is doing better now that Trump keeps interrupting him. Seems like Joe is settling in and getting pissed.

yeah, he was a bit tentative, but he is human and entitled to be a bit nervous. He also knew he was gonna get interrupted at some point.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #4210
Atocep
Coordinator

Biden went there with the bleach.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #4211
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

brilliant
Old 09-29-2020, 08:32 PM   #4212
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

These "smart" jabs from Trump are disgusting and so low brow and I am glad Joe didn't get sucked in.

What's next, Trump going to say his dad could beat up Bidens dad?
Old 09-29-2020, 08:33 PM   #4213
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
These "smart" jabs from Trump are disgusting and so low brow and I am glad Joe didn't get sucked in.

What's next, Trump going to say his dad could beat up Bidens dad?

Questioning Trump's intelligence is the best way to get him riled up.

Last edited by Atocep : 09-29-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:53 PM   #4214
Edward64
Head Coach

Joe did look off in the first 15 min segment. Did better in the second segment and seems to be doing fine now so far but IMO not aggressive enough.

For the next debate, Biden should only agree to do it if moderator has ability to mute mics.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-29-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:55 PM   #4215
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

He should have also mentioned hydroxychloroquine.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:41 PM   #4216
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well that was a shit show. I think Biden did really well when he was able to speak (Trump's plan, I'm sure, to not debate). Trump is down by 10 points - I don't think he's making any of that up

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2020, 09:42 PM   #4217
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

https://twitter.com/ByMikeBaker/stat...584051201?s=19

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2020, 09:47 PM   #4218
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Agree in general, but where does this 10-point gap figure come from? RCP, 538, etc. say 6-7.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:59 PM   #4219
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well that was a shit show. I think Biden did really well when he was able to speak (Trump's plan, I'm sure, to not debate). Trump is down by 10 points - I don't think he's making any of that up

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

It sure was and I really don't know how anyone short of Obama could handle Trump on this stage. You could tell Joe got flustered at times.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:14 PM   #4220
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
It sure was and I really don't know how anyone short of Obama could handle Trump on this stage. You could tell Joe got flustered at times.

It was amazing how much Trump looked like he wanted to debate Sanders. I wonder if he realized all the "You're going to lose the far left for that" comments helped Biden with independents?
Old 09-30-2020, 01:32 AM   #4221
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It was amazing how much Trump looked like he wanted to debate Sanders. I wonder if he realized all the "You're going to lose the far left for that" comments helped Biden with independents?

I have no numbers to go by, just my bubble (far left), but it seems to me that there are a lot of people on the "far left" who are likely to stay home or vote third party because they see Biden as just another corrupt Democrat. It plays to Trump's advantage to point that out.

I imagine "independent moderates" have largely already made up their minds.

The Myth of the Undecided Voter

The Moderate Middle is a Myth

Last edited by Front Office Midget : 09-30-2020 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:08 AM   #4222
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office Midget View Post
I have no numbers to go by, just my bubble (far left), but it seems to me that there are a lot of people on the "far left" who are likely to stay home or vote third party because they see Biden as just another corrupt Democrat. It plays to Trump's advantage to point that out.

The Myth of the Undecided Voter

The Moderate Middle is a Myth

Hmm, the far left people I am friends with will be voting for Biden to oppose Trump even if they do not personally really like Biden. I think most will still go Biden due to how opposed far left are to trump
Old 09-30-2020, 05:26 AM   #4223
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office Midget

Frank Luntz has done a lot of fine work in a distinguished career, but the linked article in '16 is an example of him doing what a lot of analysts did; underestimating just how much things were different than they have been historically for that cycle.

Quote:
As someone who has listened to them for a quarter-century now, the candidate that is most engaging and least offensive is the candidate who wins this essential bloc—and therefore the election. They’ll tell you, and tell themselves, that they’re voting for the candidate with the best ideas. But they’re really voting for the one who they believe is most “on their side.” In the end, subtlety will sway more undecided voters than the sledgehammer.

This is his conclusion, and it is the opposite of what actually happened. The majority of late-breaking undecideds went to Trump, who is nobody's idea of least offensive. I think he would have been right in any election for the 20-30 years previous, but things have changed.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-30-2020 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:00 AM   #4224
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Frank Luntz, a Republican pollster, did a live panel with 17 undecided votes from different states. Let's say that Trump didn't come off well.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:01 AM   #4225
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Apparently a Telemundo twitter poll (totally unscientific from what I can tell) said that Trump won the debate 66% to 33%. I am seeing a somewhat coordinated effort to pump up that "poll" to show that Trump won among Hispanics.

If that's all they got, then it went worse for Trump than I thought.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:06 AM   #4226
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It appears that Trump's strategy isn't to try to "win" the debates.

He wants to depress turnout by bringing Biden and the viewers down into the mud with him and increasing cynicism and "bothsides"-ism.

He wants to depress turnout by refusing to say that he'll accept the election results (people are less likely to vote when they think it won't matter).

And he wants to keep his Proud Boys on "standby" in case the election is close enough for his coup to have a chance.

So I think that his goals are deeply Unamerican. But I also think that he accomplished them.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:09 AM   #4227
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: And I think that all of this is a much harder path to him winning than simply not being the shittiest President of our lifetimes.

Much like he could have simply invested his inheritance in an S&P index fund and just gone to the beach and be much richer than he is right now, he could have simply appointed decent people to his cabinet and let them and Pence and Congress run the country while he hung out at Mar-A-Lago, and he'd be much more likely to be legitimately reelected than he is right now.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 09-30-2020 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:55 AM   #4228
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'll take a now contrarian opinion, and say that the "stand down, stand by" comment was not inciteful. It was him just blurting out phrases he thought fit the moment.

I you think he very carefully chose those words to message something very specific, and that the notion of giving a command was a clever, veiled, strategic communication - I think you're giving him too much credit.

It makes for good copy, and for good clickbait, to claim that he all but offered a "heil" salute to the SS... but I didn't hear/see that, myself.

Now, that he wasn't quick to denounce white supremacy or those groups - I was offended by his evasiveness there. And his tactic of whataboutism to cover up his racist tendencies and followers, I am perpetually offended by that.

But this exact wording, I think it just came out, and hit the ear wrong.

(You can be sure that a comparable mini-blunder by Biden would be assailed similarly by the right)
Old 09-30-2020, 08:00 AM   #4229
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
He wants to depress turnout by bringing Biden and the viewers down into the mud with him and increasing cynicism and "bothsides"-ism.

I think there's a more conventional election strategy that's hard to separate from this - he recognizes that he won last time, in no small part, by helping to frame the decision as being about his opponent.

Right now, the default framing of this election (or with any incumbent, nearly always) is that the election is about the incumbent. He wants/needs to change that. So, all the mudslinging and name-calling is a means to try to at least pivot the discussion toward "him or him?" rather than "four more years?"

I don't think he aced that - but the barrage of Hunter Biden and spying conspiracies and so forth we started to see last night and will surely endure in the weeks ahead can be reasonably tied to that tried and true formula.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:01 AM   #4230
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I'll take a now contrarian opinion, and say that the "stand down, stand by" comment was not inciteful. It was him just blurting out phrases he thought fit the moment.

I you think he very carefully chose those words to message something very specific, and that the notion of giving a command was a clever, veiled, strategic communication - I think you're giving him too much credit.

It makes for good copy, and for good clickbait, to claim that he all but offered a "heil" salute to the SS... but I didn't hear/see that, myself.

Now, that he wasn't quick to denounce white supremacy or those groups - I was offended by his evasiveness there. And his tactic of whataboutism to cover up his racist tendencies and followers, I am perpetually offended by that.

But this exact wording, I think it just came out, and hit the ear wrong.

(You can be sure that a comparable mini-blunder by Biden would be assailed similarly by the right)

But Trump is such a fool that he won't be able to admit that and mitigate the damage. By the weekend the entire GOP will be explaining how the Proud Boys are primarily concerned with voter fraud and not white supremacy. He may even have a cabinet meeting so Ben Carson can say he supports the Proud Boys.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:05 AM   #4231
QuikSand
lolzcat

I agree with that, and no of course he won't come out and say it was just poor phrasing. He lacks that gear entirely.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #4232
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Biden wasn't great, and a good candidate would have torched him, but you go to the election with the candidate you have. If I were to make a list of the top five topics coming out of the debate, I'm not sure anything Biden said or did would make the list. Trump's superpower is his ability to make everything about him, but it's also his kryptonite. The more the campaign is about him, the more likely he is to lose.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:24 AM   #4233
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

OK. I can see that.

I still am really troubled by the fact that he clearly thinks that he can give them orders. Whether he is telling them to "stand by for more orders" or "stand down and go home," the fact that he's talking to them like their leader is a Holy Shit moment.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:45 AM   #4234
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Was talking with a friend this morning and we were amazed that Biden didn't lose his temper after getting interrupted 5000+ times. I am assuming Trump wanted him to do that (Biden tends to make gaffes when he gets heated), but it didn't work. Almost seemed superhuman control by Biden.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #4235
Atocep
Coordinator

After a night to sleep on this the things that stuck out to me were:

*Trump's knowledge of issues is horrible and it must be nearly impossible to get anything done in Oval office meetings. He couldn't comprehend that he hadn't released a comprehensive health care plan and kept insisting he had by removing the individual mandate on the ACA.

*Trump doesn't understand what climate change is (not a surprise) . He failed to coherently answer any questions regarding it and remain on topic.

*Trump genuinely was thrown off and got upset when Biden took a shot at his intelligence.

*The continued attacks on mail in voting may end up backfiring as the NYT showed Republicans may be more likely than Dems to vote by mail in this election.

*Biden wasn't great by any stretch but did enough that he probably gets a small bump from this debate. I think by the end of these 3 debates we'll be right back where we started though.

*I'm not sure I can stomach 2 more of these. I'm sure that goes for a lot of people and that's not what Trump needs.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:08 AM   #4236
Bee
Pro Starter

I watched the whole thing. It really was like a train wreck that you couldn't look away from. It was interesting to watch Trump's face go from orange to red multiple times. I was expecting him to keel over from a heart attack at any second.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #4237
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
I still am really troubled by the fact that he clearly thinks that he can give them orders. Whether he is telling them to "stand by for more orders" or "stand down and go home," the fact that he's talking to them like their leader is a Holy Shit moment.

He talks to everybody that way though. Enemy of the people and such. It doesn't appear to me that he thinks he has more right to instruct the proud boys than he does to instruct Congress or the media or ... A generalized lack of self-awareness and humility is what it looks like to me.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-30-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #4238
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
*Biden wasn't great by any stretch but did enough that he probably gets a small bump from this debate. I think by the end of these 3 debates we'll be right back where we started though.

I don't think Biden lost any votes but I agree his performance wasn't great. The 2 negatives that stuck out to me were overuse of the term "lying, lies" and his smile/grin/smirk etc.

For the first, he should have used "confused, mistaken, doesn't know what he is talking about, surrounded by yes men, is that what Putin asked you to do etc."

Instead of smile/grin/smirk, he should have shown consistent intensity, anger etc. against the school yard bully.

Quote:
*I'm not sure I can stomach 2 more of these. I'm sure that goes for a lot of people and that's not what Trump needs.

I agree. Unless they agree on additional rules to eliminate the incessant interruptions, I don't see why Biden needs to do another one of these. I am interested in Pence-Harris debate.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #4239
Edward64
Head Coach

An analysis & grading of each segment.

Who won the presidential debate? Experts grade Trump-Biden mess
Old 09-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #4240
booradley
High School Varsity

I'm so embarrassed for our country right now. That wasn't a debate - it sounded more like an argument in a nursing home. I want the dignity of the office restored, but instead I have to choose who will do the least damage. That's Biden.

On the plus side, Biden's vision for eliminating our dependence on fossil fuels warmed me to him. At least I can point to that when I cast my vote, rather than shrugging my shoulders and saying "Well, at least he's not Trump."
Old 09-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #4241
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That's pretty much where I am as well, esp. vis a vis fossil fuels. I won't be enthusiastic at all about voting for Biden, but he's a non-embarassment who is trying to do the occasional good thing amidst the raft of IMO bad ideas. In other words, in these times we should pin a medal on him and consider expanding Mount Rushmore.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #4242
Atocep
Coordinator

If the Post saw it as a draw that's not good for the GOP. I wonder how many vulnerable members of congress are shaking their heads this morning knowing they'll be explaining white Nationalism within their party from now until the election.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:31 AM   #4243
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
I'm so embarrassed for our country right now. That wasn't a debate - it sounded more like an argument in a nursing home.

That is precisely the goal of an authoritarian. You already have me, this guy is a joke, and nothing will ever be better than you have it now. It's a very abusive mindset. It's why women stay with men who hurt them.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Old 09-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #4244
Jas_lov
College Starter

The next debate will be townhall format so hopefully more watchable with voters asking questions. That probably favors Biden since he can actually show empathy towards other humans.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #4245
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
The next debate will be townhall format so hopefully more watchable with voters asking questions. That probably favors Biden since he can actually show empathy towards other humans.

That's a good point. Trump may still interrupt some but not near as much as last night. I'd still insist on moderators being able to turn off mics.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:39 AM   #4246
Kodos
Resident Alien

A Zoom debate where the guy not talking is always muted would be perfect.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #4247
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
If the Post saw it as a draw that's not good for the GOP. I wonder how many vulnerable members of congress are shaking their heads this morning knowing they'll be explaining white Nationalism within their party from now until the election.

No need to. Race really isn't a big issue to Republican voters.

Important issues in the 2020 election | Pew Research Center
Quote:
There are stark differences in how registered voters who support Donald Trump and Joe Biden view the importance of these issues. In fact, of 12 issues included, the only ones that comparable shares of Biden supporters and Trump supporters view as very important are foreign policy and Supreme Court appointments.

For Trump supporters, the economy (88%) and violent crime (74%) are the most salient issues. Roughly six-in-ten Trump supporters cite immigration (61%), gun policy (60%) and foreign policy (57%) as very important to their vote.

By contrast, the largest shares of Biden supporters view health care (84%) and the coronavirus outbreak (82%) as very important. A sizable majority also rates racial and ethnic inequality as important to their vote (76%).

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-30-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #4248
PilotMan
Head Coach

No shocker, that's what those relative news organizations have been talking about non stop.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Old 09-30-2020, 11:02 AM   #4249
Atocep
Coordinator

I don't think it matters that it's not a big issue with Republican voters. The fact is those congressmen are going to have to answer uncomfortable questions that take the focus off of the issues they want to talk about. Susan Collins and Cory Gardner are going to be answering less questions about the Economy and instead will be explaining whether they support their white nationalist president.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #4250
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

To be fair, I'm certain Collins is concerned.