Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Sports you "should" like, but don't

Baseball. I like playing it, love reading the box scores the next morning amd it's nice to have on in the background if I'm drinking/talking with friends. But actually watching a 3 hour-plus game? Unless it's the Red Sox in the playoffs, I just can't do it. Give me a MAC football game or Austin Stevens going after Anacondas.

MLL Lacrosse. I love lacrosse, I follow college lacrosse very closely and I even play with a number of MLL guys/former MLL players in summer leagues. It's fun for two minutes to flip to a game and pick out how many I've played with/against/had as a counselor, but I couldn't care less about the teams or the outcome of the game. I desperately want the sport to succeed, and really believe it's a better sport than most, but if I don't even enjoy watching a pro game, how do I get friends and others who haven't played interested?

Regular season hockey. In the NBA, seeding and home-court are huge. In the NHL, they're close to irrelevant. Every year come April I find myself loving hockey again and wondering "when did that guy end up on San Jose?" or something, but trying to watch a game in December it just doesn't matter.*

*Might just be a byproduct of Jeremy Jacobs and the Bruins ruining hockey for New England.

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

Soccer. And Soccer text sims.

I know I'm missing out. That part of my brain just doesn't work though, I don't find it remotely interesting.

MMA. I think maybe it just got big 10 years too late for me - I probably would have been all into it in college.

Last edited by molson : 09-12-2008 at 03:18 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Soccer. There is a huge world-wide following for it, many people on this forum (including USA residents) are followers of it and love soccer games... My wife and her family were all born in South America and are huge into Soccer.... I feel like I should like it too...

I just can't get into it, I just don't find it interesting, I just don't enjoy it. I've gone to soccer games live in person, and they aren't as exciting for me as going to a hockey game is (and I don't even follow hockey!), much less baseball or football for me... Just never really liked it and not sure why!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
MJ4H
Coordinator

Baseball. OK I'm actually not even sure I'm supposed to like it, but I don't.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Hockey.

It's fast. There is hitting. There are a decent number of goal attempts. There is a level of suspense, but.. eh..
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
molson
General Manager

I'd say hockey to in the sense that I love the sport, but hate the NHL. I have no idea who plays for who, and there seems to be little identity to the teams, a team is great one year and sucks the next. There's trades that make absolutely no sense.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Socc...oh huh, I fell asleep just typing it.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
PLD3009
n00b

Soccer (or football) as we call it.

Pig sick of it - over paid, over rated players, newspapers and radio full of it all the time!
PLD3009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
lungs
Pro Rookie

Increasingly it's becoming football. Watching week 1 was painful. No matter what game I was watching it seemed like there was a penalty on every play. Then there is of course the issue of commercial breaks. Touchdown, extra point, commercial. Kickoff, commercial, three and out, commercial. I know that's how they make money but for fuck's sake.

No wonder Super Bowl commercials are so popular, because there are so many of them.

I used to be a hardcore football fan, but now given the choice, I'll watch a baseball game over a football game any day.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Regular season baseball. I love the playoffs when every game matters and managers have to make important decisions all the time. Watching a regular season game is about as interesting as watching paint dry.

NASCAR. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Hey a collision!!! Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left. Left.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #11
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Soccer and Nascar and you might as well throw in the NBA. These three sports do nothing for me.

-Cork
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
MJ4H
Coordinator

If I didn't love football some dang much I'd hate it. GOD THE PENALTIES AND PLAY STOPPAGES DRIVE ME INSANE.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
... a team is great one year and sucks the next...

Not the Red Wings, bizzatch!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #14
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This thread is worse than the movie "should" like, but don't thread (which is horrible in its own way).

What do you mean sports you "should" like? What are the sports people "should" like? Football, basketball, baseball, hockey, NASCAR, and golf? Any others?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

None. All the sports I like are awesome and the ones I don't care for are dumb.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:30 PM   #16
Galaxy
Coordinator

Is it just me, or are sports becoming less interesting these days (across all leagues)? I remember when I hated to miss watching a game, but now, it's......"eh".

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-12-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #17
gkb
High School Varsity

The NBA and hockey. I just can't get into them.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #18
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Is it just me, or are sports becoming less interesting these days (across all leagues)? I remember when I hated to miss watching a game, but now, it's......"eh".

It's just you. You're just getting older is all.

It's happening to me too, to some extent. I can't watch quite as much as I did back in the day, but I still get plenty excited for certain games. I pretty much OD'd on television during the NHL playoffs. I watched every night and Tivo'd games that ran parallel or were on too late and watched them in the morning. After the Wings won (woot!), I took about a month and a half break from TV entirely. I was exhausted from watching so much and nothing could match the intensity of watching the Wings' playoff games (except for episodes of "The Wire" on DVD).
Old 09-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #19
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
None. All the sports I like are awesome and the ones I don't care for are dumb.

This is the correct answer. You win the thread!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
This is the correct answer. You win the thread!

+1

Let's move on.