Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #21951
PilotMan
Head Coach

I despised all forms of fundraising. Didn't matter what activity it was or was for. I despised it. The groups that required you to participate in order to participate were no-go's for me.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:26 AM   #21952
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yeah man, it will be reciprocated when it's your time - like social security!

There's absolutely no incentive for the, say, 6th graders to actually do a good job. Whereas the 8th graders might actually, you know, try since they get benefits from this. Like, if you're the 6th grader, why are you doing more than, say, a block or a half-hearted attempt by mom and dad at work? The 8th graders would, at least, walk a couple of extra blocks or bug their parents extra since it's helping them.

I'm all for a robust social safety net and good social programs. However, this seems kindof silly to me because of the small scale and the other lessons this is supposedly trying to teach. And I guess that's where this analogy breaks down - it's not really a social program. I don't think a lot of people are arguing for a right to an 8th grade party or whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
This happens all the time. In our daughter's elementary school, the 4th grade was in charge of selling concessions at the play and some other events to fund the 5th grade graduation party. It has been going on for decades and is successful. The idea is that the 5th grade parents should enjoy the party and not worry as much about the fundraising.

I mean, I kindof get the idea of "don't work the party that you're attending as then it's not much of a party". But if it's not the event that it's for... why? If it's for the 5th grade graduation party, the 5th graders can work the play. That doesn't get in the way of their party.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #21953
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

No one is arguing for a "right" to an 8th grade party, but there is absolutely every expectation that they will get one, partially funded off of the fundraising of those in grades beneath them just like they were asked to do before they were 8th graders, absent another Covid or other unforeseen situation (natural disaster, etc.). That is inherent in the structure of this fundraiser.

And yes, I understand that the level of participation is not directly tied to how great a party you will get in 3-4 years, but the general point is the same - you may contribute today and are not guaranteed anything when your time comes to reap the benefits of the system that's been in place for years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:59 AM   #21954
Ksyrup

As far as fundraising by younger groups so that the parents of the kids getting the party don't have to worry about it, that's not how I've seen it work here. My daughter is a senior and there is a Project Graduation group that is focused on fundraising for their post-graduation party, and 95% of the participants are senior parents. It's the kids that get to enjoy the party, not the parents. We're working throughout the year to get them as much money as possible so they have a great party. That's up to us, not 9th grade parents.

For sports, we do try to set up concessions so that the varsity parents work during JV games and vice-versa, so the parents of the kids playing can enjoy the games in which their kids participate, but it goes both ways. No one gets to sit on the sidelines simply because their kid is a senior.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-29-2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:11 PM   #21955
henry296
College Starter

If there is no expectation on having to sell anything, I feel ok about sending the form to everyone. It makes it a little easier so the 8th graders don't have to go asking everyone in the school if they want to buy a pizza.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:19 PM   #21956
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As far as fundraising by younger groups so that the parents of the kids getting the party don't have to worry about it, that's not how I've seen it work here. My daughter is a senior and there is a Project Graduation group that is focused on fundraising for their post-graduation party, and 95% of the participants are senior parents. It's the kids that get to enjoy the party, not the parents. We're working throughout the year to get them as much money as possible so they have a great party. That's up to us, not 9th grade parents.

For sports, we do try to set up concessions so that the varsity parents work during JV games and vice-versa, so the parents of the kids playing can enjoy the games in which their kids participate, but it goes both ways. No one gets to sit on the sidelines simply because their kid is a senior.

This all makes sense to me. I had to do this as a kid, too - I worked JV concessions for varsity and vice versa. And for the very logical reasons you mentioned. But this isn't what we're talking about here.

The initial post was literally about an older class trying to make the younger class make them money so they don't have to.... because they had to do it at some point and that's how it's always been done. That's silly and I'd also argue it's more like older kid hazing and holding something over the younger kids than building community. Asking for money is a pretty high social capital activity, so that should be owned by the people trying to make the money.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-29-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:22 PM   #21957
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Aren't we still trying to save up for the battleship?

And a missile silo. And a whole slew of other things

Maybe it'll work better now that Go Fund Me exists

SI

Old 09-29-2021, 01:02 PM   #21958
Critch
lolzcat

It really annoys me when the local High School marching band come door to door asking for money.

You want some cash towards a trumpet? Earn it, mow my lawn.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:43 PM   #21959
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
This all makes sense to me. I had to do this as a kid, too - I worked JV concessions for varsity and vice versa. And for the very logical reasons you mentioned. But this isn't what we're talking about here.

The initial post was literally about an older class trying to make the younger class make them money so they don't have to.... because they had to do it at some point and that's how it's always been done. That's silly and I'd also argue it's more like older kid hazing and holding something over the younger kids than building community. Asking for money is a pretty high social capital activity, so that should be owned by the people trying to make the money.

SI

I totally agree. I should have prefaced my comment with "this is as close to that scenario as I've seen, but it's not the same." I was just trying to point out a situation in which it makes sense for some level of "horse-trading" - not some sort of "do it for us and someone will do it for you in a few years" type of situation.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-29-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:55 PM   #21960
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
It really annoys me when the local High School marching band come door to door asking for money.

You want some cash towards a trumpet? Earn it, mow my lawn.

At least they're doing something when they go to door to door. As annoying as that is.

I have co-workers who have never acknowledged my existence asking me for money for their kids' whatever nonsense. Sure, I'll have $10 worth of shitty peanut brittle, talk to you again next year!

And come to think of it, I don't think most times I actually ever even got the shitty peanut brittle.

Last edited by molson : 09-29-2021 at 01:57 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #21961
Ksyrup

We've sold pies at Thanksgiving for sports as one of our fundraisers for years. I hate asking people, so I usually just send one email and put an order form out on the front desk, and if people do it, fine. I do not go office to office.

I usually end up buying a bunch myself and making an additional contribution. Pies are $11 and we make around $3.50 a pie, so if I give $77, that's the equivalent profit of selling 22 pies versus cajoling people into buying 7 pies for $77 where we'd only make $25 in profit. Not worth the hassle and annoyance.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:01 PM   #21962
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I’ll let you guys know when Girl Scouts cookies go on sale.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:57 PM   #21963
Thomkal
Head Coach

So my Mom's dentist (and mine) recently messed up and put in the wrong version of the bridge she needed. They were horrified that they made the mistake of course, and she went back to get the proper one put in (and the old one had to be surgically removed). Apparently they asked her where she liked to go out to eat at some point during all this-she said Five Guys. So what did we get in the mail today-an apology card and a $100 gift card to Five Guys (which we are using tonight) I'm just glad it wasn't free toothpaste and brushes.

The hygeneist there asked if I drank coffee because my teeth were stained, and we talked about how much I like Starbucks. Should I now be expecting a Starbucks gift card?
Old 09-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #21964
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
So my son is in 6th grade. He came home yesterday with a brochure that the school is selling make your own pizza kits to fund the 8th grade class trip. The question I asked my wife was why do 6th graders have to sell pizza kits for an 8th grade trip? She didn't see it the way I did and used the logic when he is in 8th grade it will be reciprocated. Not sure I am on board.
Look, I get the hatred and all that. I despise fundraising as well. BUT, are those the Little Caesars kits they are selling? Can I buy some? Those are SO GOOD. I don't even like Little Caesars but we sold some for my son a couple of years ago and everyone loved them. I wish I could get them from the store. Even though I am low-carbing right now, I would cheat in a minute for one those damn pies. The cookies were also excellent.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 04:45 PM   #21965
GrantDawg

Now all I can think about is one of those Grilled Cheese Pizza kits. Thanks, Lathum.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #21966
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm still stuck on the absurdity of having so many "graduations".

At the current rate, there'll soon be a ceremony to recognize that it's time to go from 3rd period class to 4th period class.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:41 PM   #21967
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm still stuck on the absurdity of having so many "graduations".

At the current rate, there'll soon be a ceremony to recognize that it's time to go from 3rd period class to 4th period class.

Yup. I'm all about graduations starting at high school and above.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:55 PM   #21968
Ksyrup

I am the same way. But then my parents brought a box of old stuff of mine and going through it, I found a kindergarten graduation picture. That would be like 1977. I was shocked.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:11 PM   #21969
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Look, I get the hatred and all that. I despise fundraising as well. BUT, are those the Little Caesars kits they are selling? Can I buy some? Those are SO GOOD. I don't even like Little Caesars but we sold some for my son a couple of years ago and everyone loved them. I wish I could get them from the store. Even though I am low-carbing right now, I would cheat in a minute for one those damn pies. The cookies were also excellent.

It is not little Caesars. That would be sacrilege in New Jersey.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:34 AM   #21970
GrantDawg

Quote:
It is not little Caesars. That would be sacrilege in New Jersey.
Ignore the branding. Those make at hope kits are nothing like the restaurant.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:00 AM   #21971
spleen1015
Coordinator

We had a debate kind of similar to this with the HS softball team. Every year they travel 3 hours south for a weekend and play a few games. There is a one night hotel stay and 5 meals that are part of the trip. 16 players go on the trip.

The booster club president wanted to change the fees so that everyone helped pay for this trip instead of just the 16 players that go on the trip. I called bullshit because there are players who will never get to go on the trip because they never play varsity. There are some players who go on the trip all 4 years.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:19 AM   #21972
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Ignore the branding. Those make at hope kits are nothing like the restaurant.

of course not, but we take our pizza mighty seriously up here...
Old 09-30-2021, 10:14 AM   #21973
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I am the same way. But then my parents brought a box of old stuff of mine and going through it, I found a kindergarten graduation picture. That would be like 1977. I was shocked.

Kindergarten graduations are the best!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:58 AM   #21974
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If I have something that requires 2 factor authentication and it takes more than .6 seconds to get the text or email I start to lose my shit.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:39 AM   #21975
miami_fan
Coordinator

Attention Internet!

Can everyone stop posting all of these stories and videos of people brawling/ spitting on each other/ throwing drinks on each other/ getting injured/ dying in the stands at games? Every postings reduces the chances of me spending money to go to a game ever again.

Thanks.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-02-2021, 10:36 AM   #21976
GrantDawg

When I was 8-10, we would go to Braves games. The teams then were really bad, and the crowds would be super light. There would always be a fight. Even when you could literally buy an upper deck seat, wander down to the lower level and have a whole section to yourself, there would be guys that get drunk and just find someone to fight.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:14 PM   #21977
GrantDawg

Anybody here been to Myrtle Beach....in October? My wife is set on going to the beach, and we have condo reserved. Is it completely dead this time of year? Is everything open? What do you normally do?
Old 10-03-2021, 08:14 PM   #21978
tarcone
Coordinator

I won my Roto league. 1st time ever. I am so excited I can barely contain myself.

What a great feeling.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:20 PM   #21979
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched something on Hulu and the Tiffany Jay-Z Beyonce commercial was played several times. Thought it was really well done.

ABOUT LOVE - YouTube.

I hope this doesn't give Meghan & (whipped) Harry any ideas.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:08 PM   #21980
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Does anyone else have a cleaning lady that they suspect hides your shit on purpose?
Old 10-04-2021, 04:14 PM   #21981
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Watched something on Hulu and the Tiffany Jay-Z Beyonce commercial was played several times. Thought it was really well done.

ABOUT LOVE - YouTube.

I hope this doesn't give Meghan & (whipped) Harry any ideas.

My first thought was this was really well done when I saw it on TV. Then I thought "wow, that had to cost a fortune".
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #21982
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Does anyone else have a cleaning lady that they suspect hides your shit on purpose?

She switches my garbage and recyclable cans so I toss stuff in the wrong can and when I finally get used to the new arrangement (instead of actually moving it myself), she switches it back.

And she hides my oven mitts.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:39 PM   #21983
spleen1015
Coordinator

Normal people don't have cleaning ladies.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:57 PM   #21984
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

I am certainly not normal. I am a single male that realizes my house would likely resemble a pig sty if I did not devote some of my hard earned pay to a person to clean my house. $100 every two weeks is well worth it.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:53 PM   #21985
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I think you might be surprised as I have been by those who have cleaning ladies or hire cleaning services. The cost is comparable to what lungs mentioned so it is accessible to most. I know college kids who have a cleaning service come through their house for about $150 every two weeks. Stuff like washing the windows, cleaning the oven, etc. If I am being honest, the main reason I have never thought about getting one is because I know my wife would spend days cleaning the house before the cleaning lady showed up.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:09 PM   #21986
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I agree with you. $100-$150 every 2 weeks adds up!

Add in the $5 frappuccinos or pumpkin spice latte every other day also. And lawn guy at another $60 every 2 weeks etc.

How hard is it to pick up your own stuff. I know you don't want to but com'on, how hard is it.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:18 PM   #21987
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I agree with you. $100-$150 every 2 weeks adds up!

Add in the $5 frappuccinos or pumpkin spice latte every other day also. And lawn guy at another $60 every 2 weeks etc.

How hard is it to pick up your own stuff. I know you don't want to but com'on, how hard is it.

Like everything it is all relative. We happily pay $130 every two weeks for the house to be deep cleaned, sheets changed, bathroom done, couches vacuumed out, stove/oven cleaned, windows, etc...We "pick up" our stuff, but prefer to not have to use our time to clean our showers, etc...

In between we run the rumba and usually touch up the bathroom. Totally worth the money.

Not sure what your definition of "normal people" is but I suspect more people than you realize use them. Especially if families where both parents work. They don't want to spend free time having to clean the house.

Last edited by Lathum : 10-04-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:21 PM   #21988
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Dola- I also have a lawn guy and a kid who takes care of the pool. I draw the line at pumpkin spice lattes. I'll brew my own damn coffee.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #21989
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We clean our own house (it's cleaning week this week, actually) and I do the lawn, but I understand people wanting to "buy" time. It's not something we choose to do, though.

SI

Old 10-04-2021, 06:51 PM   #21990
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

The fact that you think a cleaning lady just picks stuff up tells me how much you probably do around your own house :P

Lathum gave a pretty good run down. Like I said, I'm a single man with a full time job and the last thing I want to do when I get home is work more.

I do mow my own lawn. I used to have a homeless guy do that for marijuana, but he moved away.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #21991
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I know college kids who have a cleaning service come through their house for about $150 every two weeks.

Not uncommon, as I understand it.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:43 AM   #21992
GrantDawg

$150 every two weeks is rich for my blood. I do pay a kid to mow my lawn every couple of weeks for $40 bucks. I am going to go into mourning when he graduates.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:07 AM   #21993
Kodos
Resident Alien

I mow my own lawn with a push mower, shovel my own driveway... but we have a maid come monthly for $200. My wife wanted one for years, and I finally relented. She also offers to hire someone to mow the lawn each year, but I don't like to pay for stuff I can do myself. (Which I realize would include the maid, but that wasn't my call.)

Last edited by Kodos : 10-05-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:18 AM   #21994
PilotMan
Head Coach

I was a huge proponent of mowing and caring for our own lawn and landscaping for years, but after we started having it professionally done, the time it was worth, being worry free about it, and overall look of our property improved. Made it all worthwhile. We're discussing getting a cleaning person as well, and I think that's well earned too. I'd rather have a more affordable home and spend on services for it that make my life easier than a huge home that I need to spend more time keeping up because I can't afford anything else.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:55 PM   #21995
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I'd rather have a more affordable home and spend on services for it that make my life easier than a huge home that I need to spend more time keeping up because I can't afford anything else.

For me it's not just the "make life easier" aspect but also the "removing things I despise most" aspect.

Anything that involves outside, I'm more than happy to pay someone to deal with.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:31 PM   #21996
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I don't have a cleaning person, but I wish I did. Keeping my place tidy is one of the first things that falls off when my mood is low and then having a messy place makes my mood worse.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:58 AM   #21997
tarcone
Coordinator

I love mowing my lawn. I have a riding mower, I put the ear buds in and just relax. Such a nice time to get away from it all.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:37 PM   #21998
Ksyrup

Quote:
Anybody here been to Myrtle Beach....in October? My wife is set on going to the beach, and we have condo reserved. Is it completely dead this time of year? Is everything open? What do you normally do?

I'm at Ft. Walton Beach in Florida for our spite vacation and I am going to guess Myrtle Beach is pretty much the same - packed. It's fall break. The drive down through Alabama was so bad, about 4 hours of driving mainly 20-30mph with no accidents and very little construction. Just a lot of cars and bad drivers. My wife's foot doctor is in Myrtle Beach this week. It's Florida panhandle or Myrtle Beach for most people in KY, it appears.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-06-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #21999
Ksyrup

Interesting discussion on cleaning/mowing services. I've never seriously thought about it, even though I certainly could afford it. I have a lawn care service that sprays for weeds but that's more because I can't do as good a job (and I've tried), not because I don't want to do it. Mowing I do myself and I enjoy the down time - with just under a half-acre, adding in edging/weed eating, it's a good 75-90 minute job. Wife has never once suggested a cleaning service even though she does the majority of the "deep cleaning" stuff. The family across the street, however, pays for it all.

I don't know... with one about to graduate college and another high school, it seems weird to outsource that kind of stuff as life begins to slow down. Back when we could have used the help, I couldn't afford it.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:26 PM   #22000
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I have a lawn care service that sprays for weeds but that's more because I can't do as good a job (and I've tried), not because I don't want to do it.

I do agree about lawn care. I did try a lawn service a several years ago but the weeds kept on popping up. I had to call them and told them "have your guys look, they'll see their stuff doesn't work. try something different". I stopped their service, and did my own stuff from HD and Lowes but that didn't work either.

If I can find a good lawn service that really works well, I would pay for that.