Old 12-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #31151
RainMaker
General Manager

lol Trump sent that fat pig out to pasture
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:59 PM   #31152
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I wonder what comes next. I'm thinking Trump tries to name Rudy as acting AG, so he can use the DOJ to do a Hunter Biden investigation and file suits against states that didn't vote for Trump.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #31153
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

And I am sure in comes someone worse. At least it is likely they will incompetent.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #31154
cuervo72
Head Coach

Bring back that TE from Iowa again.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:15 PM   #31155
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I wonder what comes next. I'm thinking Trump tries to name Rudy as acting AG, so he can use the DOJ to do a Hunter Biden investigation and file suits against states that didn't vote for Trump.

Hunter seriously needs to get the fuck out of dodge right now if he already hadn't
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #31156
AlexB
Pro Starter

I missed this at the time, but this the best summary of Trump I have ever seen, largely I guess as it was written by a Brit

Nate White’s stunning answer to the question: Why do many British people not like Donald Trump? – Millard Fillmore's Bathtub
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:13 PM   #31157
BYU 14
Coordinator

Perfect summary and a good indicator of why some of his supporters, who share many of those traits find him so endearing.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:53 AM   #31158
AlexB
Pro Starter

What struck me most was that I had overlooked the complete absence of any sense of humour.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #31159
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, if you don't count mean-spirited mockery, the man doesn't have a sense of humor. He certainly doesn't have one about himself.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #31160
Mota
College Benchwarmer

He would be the worst co-worker in the world. Takes credit for every good thing that happens on the team, and throws everybody under the bus every time something bad happens.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:32 AM   #31161
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Perfect summary and a good indicator of why some of his supporters, who share many of those traits find him so endearing.

I still remember that one. It's one of the three things I've read that I think will really encapsulate the Trump Presidency.

Another: hxxps://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/the-cruelty-is-the-point/572104/ (xx'd since it keeps doing funky formatting things when I include the actual link)

The other I can't find now, sadly. I think it was on Yahoo and was from 2017 or maybe even late 2016 and it talked about how Nixon fatigue finally caught up to Nixon - how people just didn't want a brick to the head every morning - and how that might play out for Trump.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #31162
Edward64
Head Coach

Haven't seen anything in the news about Rudi. Anyone have an update on his situation?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #31163
Atocep
Coordinator

I don't know what thread this should go in, but the Russia hack thing is a very big deal and far worse than what the media has ahold of so far.

We were lucky and stopped using SolarWinds over a year ago, but I have friends working in agencies that are using SolarWinds and to say people are shitting their pants would be a massive understatement.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:43 PM   #31164
RainMaker
General Manager

This seems like it should be the biggest story in the world right now.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #31165
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It's weird.

I think that people (media, politicians) aren't making too big of a deal of it b/c they don't want Trump to notice it.

They are all just kind of waiting/hoping Biden will come in and start dealing with the problem.

The last thing they want is fealty to Russian hackers to become another litmus test for the MAGAs.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:31 PM   #31166
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I don't know what thread this should go in, but the Russia hack thing is a very big deal and far worse than what the media has ahold of so far.

We were lucky and stopped using SolarWinds over a year ago, but I have friends working in agencies that are using SolarWinds and to say people are shitting their pants would be a massive understatement.

I should probably pay more attention but InfoSec where I work doesn't talk a whole lot, especially when stuff screws up (probably not unique to here). But I've seen a couple of Change Request Forms this past week for SolarWinds and FireEye. Yay...

SI

Old 12-17-2020, 06:31 PM   #31167
miami_fan
Coordinator

Is it possible that the Biden transition team actually found the breach?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #31168
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

I'd be very surprised. My guess is, based on the nature of what happened, that it was SolarWinds that discovered it.

This is scary bad though. Whoever did it (we assume Russia but it's not 100% conclusive yet) had access to some of our network data at the state and national level for months.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:19 PM   #31169
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

It's so vague and seemingly technical right now, I don't think the media knows how to report it so that people can understand it without assuming it's a Trump-Russia thing.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #31170
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd be very surprised. My guess is, based on the nature of what happened, that it was SolarWinds that discovered it.

This is scary bad though. Whoever did it (we assume Russia but it's not 100% conclusive yet) had access to some of our network data at the state and national level for months.

It is just an interesting coincidence that two weeks after Biden began receiving intel briefings the breach was discovered.

You see what happens when you don't put things on your own private server.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-17-2020, 09:03 PM   #31171
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Never mind all the back doors and access they have installed since. This is not the last we're going to hear of it. Especially considering how lazy our posture has been to cyber-security for along time in this country (EASE OF USE ALWAYS WINS).

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-17-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:15 AM   #31172
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

There is so much of the hacking thing that goes along with the complete clean-out of the Defense department that has the conspiracy part of my brain screaming.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:47 AM   #31173
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

FireEye found it. Kind of randomly as an employee got a suspicious alert about someone trying to login to his account.

No one in the government had a clue it seems. Or they just didn't care because it was a country friendly to Trump's interests.

Regardless, cybersecurity is way behind in this country. Russians running laps around our government. Guess we should order another fighter jet we will never use instead of keeping our networks safe.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:06 AM   #31174
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
FireEye found it. Kind of randomly as an employee got a suspicious alert about someone trying to login to his account.

No one in the government had a clue it seems. Or they just didn't care because it was a country friendly to Trump's interests.

Regardless, cybersecurity is way behind in this country. Russians running laps around our government. Guess we should order another fighter jet we will never use instead of keeping our networks safe.

Thanks for that info about FireEye.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:30 AM   #31175
miami_fan
Coordinator

Don't want to be accused of not giving credit where credit is due.

Good job Vice President Pence for showing leadership via getting the Covid vaccine this morning.

Last edited by miami_fan : 12-18-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #31176
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

I would only say that the government cyber security is way behind. Working in the cyber security strategic advisory area of the industry many commercial organizations are spending a ton of money in this area. That being s@id the bad guys are always going to be ahead of us. But yes the US government cyber security is a joke at this point and Biden needs to really focus on that again after Trump admin f it up pretty good the last 4 years.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:26 AM   #31177
Flasch186
Coordinator

It always goes back to Russia. 4 years of him blowing Putin.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:46 AM   #31178
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I would only say that the government cyber security is way behind. Working in the cyber security strategic advisory area of the industry many commercial organizations are spending a ton of money in this area. That being s@id the bad guys are always going to be ahead of us. But yes the US government cyber security is a joke at this point and Biden needs to really focus on that again after Trump admin f it up pretty good the last 4 years.

Just like with how they dismantled pandemic response teams, they did the same in cybersecurity.

Obama wasn't great at it but they wldid make a huge push in his 2nd term to catch us up. Trump dismantled most of it. There is practically no one protecting our networks. Rely mostly on private companies with little incentive. Look at the date of these.

Exclusive: White House cyber memo warns of new network risks - Axios
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...nment.amp.html
Old 12-18-2020, 09:05 AM   #31179
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just like with how they dismantled pandemic response teams, they did the same in cybersecurity.

Obama wasn't great at it but they wldid make a huge push in his 2nd term to catch us up. Trump dismantled most of it. There is practically no one protecting our networks. Rely mostly on private companies with little incentive. Look at the date of these.

Exclusive: White House cyber memo warns of new network risks - Axios
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...nment.amp.html

Totally agree Rainmaker.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:34 AM   #31180
Libra
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
It's so vague and seemingly technical right now, I don't think the media knows how to report it so that people can understand it without assuming it's a Trump-Russia thing.

Since when has not knowing how to report something ever stopped the media from doing it anyway?

On a serious note this is a sensational story and the Russian dogwhistle always plays well but events like this are almost always an inside job.
Libra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:36 AM   #31181
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra View Post
Since when has not knowing how to report something ever stopped the media from doing it anyway?

On a serious note this is a sensational story and the Russian dogwhistle always plays well but events like this are almost always an inside job.

Micha, there has to be a better use of your time than posting here.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #31182
Libra
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Micha, there has to be a better use of your time than posting here.

You spelled Mischa wrong. You need to seriously up your smack-talk game.
Libra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #31183
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Браво!
Old 12-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #31184
cuervo72
Head Coach

Some reporting is bound to be off; this seems like a pretty solid rundown.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...us-government/
Old 12-18-2020, 11:09 AM   #31185
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Some reporting is bound to be off; this seems like a pretty solid rundown.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...us-government/

I hadn't seen that article yet, but it's in line with what I've heard from people working it. Those closest to to what's going on aren't 100% convinced it's Russia but that's where the evidence is pointing.

The fact that the White House has kept quiet points to Russia.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #31186
RainMaker
General Manager

The WSJ has done amazing work on the story so far. Behind a paywall so not sure how many people will see it.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #31187
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hadn't seen that article yet, but it's in line with what I've heard from people working it. Those closest to to what's going on aren't 100% convinced it's Russia but that's where the evidence is pointing.

The fact that the White House has kept quiet points to Russia.

Well, that and the sophistication and method of attack. There aren't that many actors who can pull off something like this. And, frankly, it feels more like a Russia attack. China's attacks are typically more brute force and most of the other actors who can do this are a bit more clumsy.

SI

Old 12-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #31188
RainMaker
General Manager

The thing that bugs me about the hack is that we spend a fortune on defense. This isn't an issue of not having funding, it's an issue of allocation. Romney laid out a good example in an interview. This would be like the Russians flying a spy plane over our country undetected. What would our response be to that?

So why aren't we treating cybersecurity like that? Why aren't we funding it the way we fund air defense and other stuff? It's a much bigger threat than any foreign military. Countries wouldn't have to lob over missiles during a conflict, they could just shut down our power grid.

Same goes for pandemics. It's a much bigger threat than a military conflict on our soil. This article talks about how we can map out all existing viruses that could jump to humans and have a vaccine essentially ready for production if it happens. Just a few billion dollars.

We Had the COVID-19 Vaccine the Whole Time
Old 12-18-2020, 01:33 PM   #31189
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I agree entirely with everything you just posted.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:34 PM   #31190
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Well, that and the sophistication and method of attack. There aren't that many actors who can pull off something like this. And, frankly, it feels more like a Russia attack. China's attacks are typically more brute force and most of the other actors who can do this are a bit more clumsy.

Agree. Galaril has more experience in this field than I do so I'd like to hear what he says.

Basically rogue hackers wouldn't be this patient. There would be something they would want out of it. And the sophistication and pace at which they adapted would make it a large team.

And the biggest evidence against it being China is that the President and his allies would not stop talking about it if it was. Russia gets a pass like usual.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:42 PM   #31191
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

To be fair, I'm just reading about it on trade websites and what we've talked about internally. Also, I'm just a Sys Admin - I'm not on the InfoSec side of the house.

EDIT: So my educated guesses are from that - my international politics are just guesses and not that well informed. Not my world.
Also, we are running both SolarWinds and FireEye, but, in theory, we did not get the compromised packages. However, I cynically think that's because we're so behind on patching on some of our stuff that they'd have to have the vulnerability in place back in 2017 of us to finally have it installed in our systems today.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-18-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:49 PM   #31192
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Of course, one of the fun nuggets to come out of this is that the server's password was solarwinds123 and this:

Quote:
Security researcher Vinoth Kumar told Reuters that he contacted the company in 2019, alerting it that anyone could access its update server by guessing the password “solarwinds123.” Reuters also reports that hackers claiming they could sell access to SolarWinds’ computers since 2017. It is not clear from the wording of the story whether the offer was for a method of infiltrating SolarWinds itself, or if the black hat was offering to sell access to computers that used SolarWinds software.

Security Researcher: 'solarwinds123' Password Left Firm Vulnerable in 2019 - ExtremeTech

So, on the one hand - sophisticated attack. On the other hand, wide open access that could have been had by anyone for years. And, of course, most of us are looking at that story like "damn - yup, seen so much like this".

There's a reason why everyone else has different views of everyone else on this matrix. But when it comes to sys admins, everyone sees us the same and the only debate is between single birds of double birds:

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-18-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #31193
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
The thing that bugs me about the hack is that we spend a fortune on defense. This isn't an issue of not having funding, it's an issue of allocation. Romney laid out a good example in an interview. This would be like the Russians flying a spy plane over our country undetected. What would our response be to that?

So why aren't we treating cybersecurity like that? Why aren't we funding it the way we fund air defense and other stuff? It's a much bigger threat than any foreign military. Countries wouldn't have to lob over missiles during a conflict, they could just shut down our power grid.

Same goes for pandemics. It's a much bigger threat than a military conflict on our soil. This article talks about how we can map out all existing viruses that could jump to humans and have a vaccine essentially ready for production if it happens. Just a few billion dollars.

We Had the COVID-19 Vaccine the Whole Time

My guess is that it is like all government spending. You can't have a ribbon cutting ceremony that shows off cybersecurity or pandemic prevention.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #31194
RainMaker
General Manager

Remember how we spent a fortune buying up mortgages and treasuries to get the banks to loan more? Well the banks just used that money to buyback stocks.

This is a country that can't give $1200 to its citizens.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times
Old 12-18-2020, 05:01 PM   #31195
PilotMan
Head Coach

And when did $1200 be the defining number that needs to be given out. It was so freaking low to start with, and that they've only done it once, when they should have been doing it every month is a joke. It should be substantially more than $1200, given to every living, breathing person. It'll be the most direct use of small business injection they can give.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #31196
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
And when did $1200 be the defining number that needs to be given out. It was so freaking low to start with, and that they've only done it once, when they should have been doing it every month is a joke. It should be substantially more than $1200, given to every living, breathing person. It'll be the most direct use of small business injection they can give.

We needed to give $4 trillion to big businesses so they could buyback stocks.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #31197
RainMaker
General Manager

Deficit hawks are back!

Old 12-18-2020, 05:35 PM   #31198
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
There's a reason why everyone else has different views of everyone else on this matrix. But when it comes to sys admins, everyone sees us the same and the only debate is between single birds of double birds:

That pic is fantastic. I'm going to share it with my team.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:19 PM   #31199
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
That pic is fantastic. I'm going to share it with my team.

I saw it on one of those made up holidays like sys admin day a year or two ago and it's been near and dear to my heart ever since.

SI

Old 12-18-2020, 08:00 PM   #31200
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We needed to give $4 trillion to big businesses so they could buyback stocks.

And take on more bad debt. Don't forget that.

SI