Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
korme
Go Reds

2013-14 NBA Season Thread

Let's kick it off with a really (as usual) nicely done piece by Grantland's Zach Lowe about the chances of Miami three-peating and beyond.

Can LeBron James and the Miami Heat win a third NBA title? - Grantland

Looking so very forward to this season. I'll be at the Pacers home opener tonight.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Cross-posting from the offseason thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I'm pumped for the Rockets season to start tomorrow. It looks like McHale has settled on the Howard as PF and Asik as C starting lineup that I was dreaming about when talk first started about Dwight coming to Houston. It also appears that Patrick Beverly will be starting at PG and Jeremy Lin will be first off the bench. I think the Rox have a chance to be very, very good this year if they can stay relatively healthy.

ESPN also likes the Rockets in the Southwest Division.

2013-14 Southwest Division champion - ESPN

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
BishopMVP
Coordinator

This seems like odd timing... Dallas Mavericks, general manager Gersson Rosas part ways - ESPN Dallas
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

You're welcome back in Houston, Gersson...

Old 10-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I haven't been this excited over a Bulls team since the MJ days. The NBA pitting the Rose's return against the Heat on opening night is going to give me a heart attack.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Let's kick it off with a really (as usual) nicely done piece by Grantland's Zach Lowe about the chances of Miami three-peating and beyond.

Can LeBron James and the Miami Heat win a third NBA title? - Grantland

Looking so very forward to this season. I'll be at the Pacers home opener tonight.

Holy cow. Footnote number 10 says that LeBron and Wade had a sparring/boxing session the night before Game 7. If this scene had been in a sports movie I probably would have stopped watching and complained about how they had to use such a heavy-handed metaphor for the struggle for alpha dog/leader status, but wow, this actually happened.

With that being the case, I have no idea this information was relegated to footnote status months after the fact when it seems like something that would have caused everyone's head to explode if the Heat had lost.

Here's another good read that'll quickly bring you up to speed on everything that's happened over the offseason: 68 reasons to watch the 2013-14*season | The Point Forward - SI.com
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

British basketball commentary:

Old 10-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
whomario
Pro Starter

really strapped for time, so not sure how much i´ll follow the season. But i´d like to, really looking forward to it a lot more than last year. Hope that not as many good players get injured this season.

some quick tidbits:

Very intrigued to see the Love/Pekovic/Rubio combination with some semblance of perimeter shooting around them (preseason looked good in that regard). Too bad Kirilenko isn´t there, that still bums me out to not see those 4 in action together ...

Durant could really go off this season and post utterly ridiculous numbers early. I think that Adams could be a really good adition even as a rookie, wouldn´t be shocked if he was the guy playing the bulk of minutes at Center in may/june.

The Knicks could be a train wreck of epic proportions if the start is a bad one.

Like with the Timberwolves, i´m all kinds of intrigued to see the Warriors this season. Taking that offense/shooting attack and adding Igoudala and (hopefully) a somewhat healthy Bogut would be neat.

I want to see what Houston can do, as well. Still think that getting a legit 4 and a wing defender instead of Howard would have been the better move, but it is what it is. Don´t see Howard/Asik working in the playoffs, at all. With less game planning in the regular season though, it could. Line coming off the bench is the right move, there´s no reason not to play him for every minute either Harden (then he handles the ball) or Howard (then he gets to push it on the break) is out the game.
Also, Omri Casspi and/or Motiejunas will be key. Casspi imo is a great player who got injured at the wrong time and then was in terrible situations. Could be a great role player. Motiejunas could turn out to be the de-facto PF when you can´t get away with either the Asik/Howard frontline or Casspi (or even Garcia) at the 4.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:49 AM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

Man, that Lakers comeback was a thing of beauty. I thought Kobe looked a little pissed that they were playing so well in that run without him, which was even better.

I got mad myself with so many damn thrown up and missed 3 pointers in the third quarter, but then that oh so lovely fourth quarter run happened.

Also too many turnovers, but man, Xavier Henry was freaking amazing to watch.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #10
RainMaker
General Manager

Rose looked real rusty. Bulls looked out of sync. Team will be fine though but disappointing way to start the season.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I know it won't happen a lot... but that was an amazing game from the Lakers.

Seven seconds or less has officially arrived in Laker-land?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Jealous. Would have loved to have seen Victor Oladipo's first game in person.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Awful game for the Clippers. They let the Lakers stay close through the first three quarters, and then just got obliterated by that magic fourth quarter the Lakers' second unit had.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
molson
General Manager

Rose should maybe take a couple of more seasons off to make sure he's back to 100%.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
korme
Go Reds

Loved watching the Lakers beat the Clippers last night if only for the fact that it was like watching a 14 seed knock off a 3 seed in March Madness. The Lakers were running around celebrating like they didn't expect to win, it was great.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #16
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Cross-posting from the offseason thread...

ESPN also likes the Rockets in the Southwest Division.

2013-14 Southwest Division champion - ESPN

I took Beverly in both fantasy leagues I'm in. Seems like a great call now. I love his game.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #17
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Also too many turnovers, but man, Xavier Henry was freaking amazing to watch.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Jealous. Would have loved to have seen Victor Oladipo's first game in person.

People from Indiana were very confused as to what to do. There was a point where Oladipo scored to put Orlando up 57-56 and half the crowd was cheering. It was weird.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I took Beverly in both fantasy leagues I'm in. Seems like a great call now. I love his game.

I don't like him as a starter, tho. I don't like his size or endurance but one of those things he could have worked on in the offseason

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You're welcome back in Houston, Gersson...

I'd love to have him back but I'm guessing he'll be looking to be a GM-in-waiting somewhere else. Houston vs Dallas are just night and day front offices: in Houston the GM calls the shots while in Dallas the owner does.

SI

Old 10-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #21
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I want to see what Houston can do, as well. Still think that getting a legit 4 and a wing defender instead of Howard would have been the better move, but it is what it is. Don´t see Howard/Asik working in the playoffs, at all. With less game planning in the regular season though, it could. Line coming off the bench is the right move, there´s no reason not to play him for every minute either Harden (then he handles the ball) or Howard (then he gets to push it on the break) is out the game.

Also, Omri Casspi and/or Motiejunas will be key. Casspi imo is a great player who got injured at the wrong time and then was in terrible situations. Could be a great role player. Motiejunas could turn out to be the de-facto PF when you can´t get away with either the Asik/Howard frontline or Casspi (or even Garcia) at the 4.

Who would have been the legit 4 that was available this offseason that was a good fit? Josh Smith was the one name that came up but his shooting "philosophy" would have driven the front office nuts (Morey: "look, you're an excellent rebounder and good around the basket so we surrounded you with excellent shooters to pass to if you get in trouble down load. FYI: This shock collar will deliver 50,000 volts if you take a shot outside the paint").

I'm really wanting to see what Casspi can bring. Motiejunas has raw potential but I just don't think he's ready yet and I'm not sure he ever will be. I hope so, tho.

SI

Old 10-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #22
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
People from Indiana were very confused as to what to do. There was a point where Oladipo scored to put Orlando up 57-56 and half the crowd was cheering. It was weird.

I would absolutely be rooting for Orlando.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #23
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Awful game for the Clippers. They let the Lakers stay close through the first three quarters, and then just got obliterated by that magic fourth quarter the Lakers' second unit had.

The Clippers showed their true colors last night. Got up by 6 and then Griffin shot 3 straight 18+ ft shots with 10+ secs left on the clock. They won't be good until the players learn their roles on the team and I'm not sure they will be able to do that to make the jump to the next level playoff wise.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It appears the heat have a hangover.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #25
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Michael Carter-Williams with one hell of a debut.

22 points (6 of 10 from the floor, 6 of 8 from the line, 4 of 6 from three)
12 assists
9 steals
7 rebounds
only 1 turnover
+12
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #26
korme
Go Reds

#SixersVsLakers #Finals2014
Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #27
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:

I was at the game. Oladipo got a standing ovation when he came in. The place went nuts when he had that dunk on the break. My son was thrilled to see him. Several co-eds running around with Oladipo jerseys.

The crowd definitely wanted the Pacers to win, but loved seeing Oladipo play.

That said, Vaughn made tons of questionable decisions. Nicholson was 8 for 9 with 18 at halftime. He didn't get back in till the 4th quarter. Oladipo was the only guard that could get to the rim, yet he spent most of his time standing around watching Affalo or Nelson jack up useless shots.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #28
JeeberD
General Manager

It looks like Dwight was trying to beat the 33 boards Barkley had in his Rockets debut, but he came up short. Only 26 rebounds to go along with 17 points...what a slacker.

Harden couldn't hit anything until the fourth quarter, but Garcia and Lin kept them in the lead until Harden warmed up. 14 boards for Asik as well. Rockets win, 96-83.

Last edited by JeeberD : 10-30-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:10 AM   #29
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Suns actually have a little bit of talent. It will still be a tough year for them, but Bledsoe and Dragic can play. Miles Plumlee putting up a double-double against Portland was a surprise as well. I mean, the sixers beat the Heat so the Suns beating the Trailblazers is no major accomplishment, but this team may atleast be watchable.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:43 AM   #30
RainMaker
General Manager

Not sure how Miami dismantles the Bulls one night and then loses to the Sixers who probably have the least amount of talent in the league.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:36 AM   #31
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm pretty much over Nick Young's piss-poor shot selection already and we're only two games into the season.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:45 AM   #32
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Warriors take care of business against the Lakers thanks in large part to Klay Thompson's unreal night. This team is going to be fun to watch.

Also, in the 'hell freezing over' category, David Lee played pretty good defense tonight.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:46 AM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It looks like Dwight was trying to beat the 33 boards Barkley had in his Rockets debut, but he came up short. Only 26 rebounds to go along with 17 points...what a slacker.

Harden couldn't hit anything until the fourth quarter, but Garcia and Lin kept them in the lead until Harden warmed up. 14 boards for Asik as well. Rockets win, 96-83.

I wish I could have watched the game. Thanks, Comcast Houston

SI

Old 10-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #34
Bad-example
College Starter

I love that the Warriors have a more-than-statistically-insignificant chance to win an NBA championship in the next few years. I'm not a big NBA guy but that fan base sure deserves a few years of relevance.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #35
Izulde
Head Coach

Allen Iverson career retrospective | The Point Forward - SI.com

I'm not going to lie... I loved AI. Sad to see him retire. One of the most fascinating players ever.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #36
korme
Go Reds

You shouldn't be sad, you've had three years to prepare.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #37
spleen1015
Coordinator

Iverson was never as good as people thought he was. Ok, he was really good, but the guy was the worst ball hog. I don't know if there have been other players like him or not. I just remember thinking he needed to get the rest of his team involved a whole lot more.

I remember being at this game.

In the second half, the 76ers possessions were all the same. Iverson brings the ball down the court, makes a move and shots with about 15 seconds left on the shot clock. It was the most boring 4th quarter I think I have ever watched.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #38
Kodos
Resident Alien

Old 10-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #39
nol
Banned

Ahh.. The early NBA season. When the NBA's corporate lawyers haven't sniffed out the bootleg YouTube channels and you can still watch a 1-2 minute game highlight without being subjected to a 30 second ad before each one

Last edited by nol : 10-31-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #40
korme
Go Reds

Been DVRing The Starters on NBAtv (the artists formerly known as TheBasketballJones). Nice to see everything from their podcast translate similarly to television. Hopefully they will get enough ratings to last.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #41
Miller Time
H.S. Freshman Team

Anybody know if it is possible to get radio broadcasts of games streamed live on iphone?

Similar to the MLB app where you can get both home and away radio feeds, I wish the NBA's app had the same option. Doesn't seem to. I would easily fork out 3.99 a month to get radio broadcasts alone. I don't want to watch the games live but would love to be able to listen to the radio broadcasts.

Any ideas?
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #42
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Isn't it the loudspeaker icon on the top right hand corner of the Gametime App?
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 PM   #43
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Iverson was never as good as people thought he was. Ok, he was really good, but the guy was the worst ball hog. I don't know if there have been other players like him or not. I just remember thinking he needed to get the rest of his team involved a whole lot more.

I remember being at this game.

In the second half, the 76ers possessions were all the same. Iverson brings the ball down the court, makes a move and shots with about 15 seconds left on the shot clock. It was the most boring 4th quarter I think I have ever watched.
He should have gotten Aaron McKie, Matt Geiger, Eric Snow and Theo Ratliff more involved? Maybe he would've been the same with another star around him, but we never saw him with a great teammate. I don't think there was another 6' guard that could have willed that team to the NBA finals.

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #44
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
He should have gotten Aaron McKie, Matt Geiger, Eric Snow and Theo Ratliff more involved? Maybe he would've been the same with another star around him, but we never saw him with a great teammate. I don't think there was another 6' guard that could have willed that team to the NBA finals.

Jerry Stackhouse was coming off a 20 ppg rookie season the year Iverson was drafted, and they couldn't coexist so he got traded to the Pistons the following year. The Finals team was constructed in a way that was probably best for all parties: Iverson was surrounded by a bunch of guys who could play defense and rebound without getting mad about a lack of touches.

Shifting gears, here's Derrick Rose about to high-five a guy dressed as Marie Antoinette following his game-winning basket: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BX9F_z1CMAEilsz.jpg:large
Old 11-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #45
korme
Go Reds

So this is a real thing that happened last night.

Last edited by korme : 11-01-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #46
RedKingGold
College Starter

Only the 76ers can screw tanking up.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:31 AM   #47
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Was at the Kings-Clippers game tonight. Isaiah Thomas played out of his mind, put a nice scare into Lob City. Weird officiating though...it was as if the refs flipped a coin before each quarter to decide which team was going to get all the foul calls.

Fun game to be at, and it's easy to see why Kings fans are excited about their team sticking around - a lot of young talent there. Very, very raw talent, but it's there.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #48
Izulde
Head Coach

Damn that was a frustrating loss for Lakers against Spurs. Still probably not a bad thing if they hit the lottery this year, especially if Kobe goes away after this year.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #49
nol
Banned

As expected, the 76ers and Suns are both executing the classic tanking strategy of starting out 2-0 to make it look like they're trying before really piling on the losses. Or something like that.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:05 AM   #50
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Damn that was a frustrating loss for Lakers against Spurs. Still probably not a bad thing if they hit the lottery this year, especially if Kobe goes away after this year.

I think the Lakers only have a first if they finish in the top three of the draft. Otherwise it goes to the Suns
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote