Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #51
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

If people look at someone and think "That dude's a serial rapist", yeah i can understand not wanting to put him on your network. Guy who wrote that article is an idiot as is anyone who agrees with him. He can try to draw all the comparisons he wants, but perception is everything and people don't look at Mark Wahlberg today and see a teenage gangbanger.

So putting aside the fact that Cosby almost certainly spent his life raping woman, that guys is whining "It's not fair!!". Well guess what, it's not a court of law it's a business and their customers likely don't want a rapist plastered on their TV.

Last edited by jeff061 : 11-24-2014 at 09:28 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #52
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Wow, I'm having trouble believing the author is really that naive.

Does he really fail to understand the difference between drug possession, one-time assaults (even of the domestic variety), and the far more serious *serial* sexual assault?

Does he fail to realize that the legal court and court of public opinion are two separate entities, governed by vastly different rules? Does he fail to recognize how hubris plays a major role in shaping the public backlash of the Coz?

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 11-24-2014 at 09:46 AM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #53
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Wow, I'm having trouble believing the author is really that naive.

Does he really fail to understand the difference between drug possession, one-time assaults (even of the domestic variety), and the far more serious *serial* sexual assault?

Does he fail to realize that the legal court and court of public opinion are two separate entities, governed by vastly different rules? Does he fail to recognize how hubris plays a major role in shaping the public backlash of the Coz?

Mitch Albom is the worst.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #54
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Wednesdays With Cosby
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #55
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Well, uh, he seems to have Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck on his side...
Yeah, but not a single person that has ever worked with him, in comedy or television, is stepping up to defend the guy.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #56
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Yeah, but not a single person that has ever worked with him, in comedy or television, is stepping up to defend the guy.

Well his TV daughter did say that Cosby never did anything inappropriate with her.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #57
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

This has been a tough one for me. Bill always had that soft spoken personality and was legitimately funny, not just funny acting. Seemed like the consumate guy youd love to grab a beer with.

Then the other night on local radio I listened to a guy talk about him and it was shocking. Local talk show host in Charlotte who is in his 60s and been a radio guy forever in a number of major markets. Not a shock jock guy by any stretch a "news,weather, talk" guy...He is usually one with a moderate view on any subject. The Cosby stuff came up and he basically said he wouldnt discuss it because personal bias would prevent him from being fair. Went on to tell a story about meeting Cosby 2x over a 10 year period and just awful anecdotes of how he treated people. It was literally shocking to my senses to hear. Just further proof to me that you never know how public folks are off camera I suppose.

Realy hope the allegations are all false, all lies that coincidentally align and paint a picture that is worse than reality. But it sure seems like the story has feathers, a bill and says quack while walking or swimming.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #58
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Has anyone stepped up to defend this guy yet?

I heard Darren Sharper was brought in as an expert and noted "that ain't how you drug and rape bitches". So it appears there may be some disagreement on the science.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #59
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Is the celeberty rapist attention a new phenomena?

I've heard it suggested that it is only recently the public cares about rape history/allegations. Murders and racism have been around and done lasting damage to famous people, but thinking back I can't remember many famous rape cases, or people being forever banished/tarnished from rape charges. Tyson is the only one, even then the public was quick the welcome him back and the ear biting seemed to do more PR damage.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #60
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Stacey Dash said nothing ever happened when she worked with him.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #61
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Murders and racism have been around and done lasting damage to famous people, but thinking back I can't remember many famous rape cases, or people being forever banished/tarnished from rape charges. Tyson is the only one, even then the public was quick the welcome him back and the ear biting seemed to do more PR damage.

I guess Fatty Arbuckle took the wind out of those sails for several decades. But then again, since there was a death involved, that probably doesn't count.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-24-2014 at 01:49 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #62
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I guess Fatty Arbuckle took the wind out of those sails for several decades. But then again, since there was a death involved, that probably doesn't count.

Roman Polanski seems to get a pass.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #63
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

I guess it's fair to say that the goalposts of what is considered prosecutable sexual assault are changing:

Rape by fraud? N.J. lawmaker introduces bill to make it a crime | NJ.com
Old 11-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #64
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Is the celeberty rapist attention a new phenomena?

I've heard it suggested that it is only recently the public cares about rape history/allegations. Murders and racism have been around and done lasting damage to famous people, but thinking back I can't remember many famous rape cases, or people being forever banished/tarnished from rape charges. Tyson is the only one, even then the public was quick the welcome him back and the ear biting seemed to do more PR damage.

I think we have heard about them but they were not (are not?) called rape. When I was very young, the only rape that I remember was committed by the criminal in a mask who dragged a woman off the street, beat the shit out of her and forced her to have sex with him against her will. I don't ever remember the celebrity whose victim came forward with broken bones, facial bruises etc. along with the rape accusation.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #65
QuikSand
lolzcat

Is "watch me eat curry" a new euphemism for something actually interesting?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #66
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Is "watch me eat curry" a new euphemism for something actually interesting?

I heard about that as well but am equally as confused.

Really. Bizarre.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:51 PM   #67
miami_fan
Coordinator

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/06/us/bil...ive/index.html
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-06-2015, 10:05 PM   #68
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well that's going to ruin his reputation.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:46 PM   #69
JPhillips
General Manager

I was pretty sure he did it before, but there's no doubt now. What a shitbag of a human being, and the William Morris folks that helped him should go to jail, too.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:17 PM   #70
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Shame, used to hold him in high regard (well, except for the racism accusations that I had heard about him) but he has fallen a long way from those heights.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:39 AM   #71
Butter
Coordinator

Damn, I loved "Himself" as a concert movie. That's ruined now.

And I guess the women are important in this too.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:29 AM   #72
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep, talented comedian, but a shitbag of a person.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #73
Schmidty
Coordinator

So if not for the fact that he is a celebrity, he would be considered a serial rapist. That's not just an embarrassing thing: That's capitol. I'm not down with the DP, but damn.

I loved the Huxtabels.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #74
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
And I guess the women are important in this too.

If we are being honest, no the women are still not that important.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #75
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm sorry for the destruction of the role model he/people made him out to be.

There was a time when he was speaking out on how to improve the black society etc. I think he really believed it but he too had major flaws.

What a waste. I predict divorce coming up soon.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #76
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The fascinating thing I read was that this "shocking New information" was supposedly online and unsealed and could have been had by anyone. However nobody bothered to look for it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #77
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

There was a time when he was speaking out on how to improve the black society etc. I think he really believed it but he too had major flaws.

Even when you take out the parts of his message that were rendered blatantly hypocritical by the fact he raped dozens of women, you're still left with a lot of misinformation and flat-out lies.

Bill Cosby's Pound Cake Speech, Annotated
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #78
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Even when you take out the parts of his message that were rendered blatantly hypocritical by the fact he raped dozens of women, you're still left with a lot of misinformation and flat-out lies.

Bill Cosby's Pound Cake Speech, Annotated

I scanned through it. There were some that were inaccurate but others were challenged in the article as having declined when Cosby said it (which really isn't an argument against). I think there is merit in his message(s) but it is likely doomed to irrelevancy as the messenger is a first class creep.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-19-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #79
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Turns out that Bill Cosby was the one who needed to pull his pants up.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #80
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Turns out that Bill Cosby was the one who needed to pull his pants up.

Or just be less aggressive in marketing his pudding pop.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #81
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Now Camille is going to divorce him?
Old 07-19-2015, 07:27 PM   #82
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure his wife knew what the deal was. Only interesting thing about this case left will be if any of the older daughters or Phylicia Rashard speak out with specific allegations.

(Btw, the daughters are like 57/47/41/36 now so I'm not talking about some creepy pedo behavior)

Last edited by stevew : 07-19-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:06 AM   #83
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

i will just leave this here...

Cosby Creepin

*tiptoes out of room*
Old 12-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #84
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cosby got arrested today for a 2004 incident.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #85
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I bet he's regretting giving that deposition right now.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #86
Thomkal
Head Coach

I wonder if he's suffered a stroke/had something neurologic happen. Had to be helped everywhere and not looking good.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #87
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully he gets excellent medical care in prison.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:26 AM   #88
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I wonder if he's suffered a stroke/had something neurologic happen. Had to be helped everywhere and not looking good.

Standard operating procedure for any somewhat-old guy looking to get a lighter sentence. Here's the canonical example: Ernest Saunders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:45 AM   #89
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Standard operating procedure for any somewhat-old guy looking to get a lighter sentence. Here's the canonical example: Ernest Saunders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think of Vincent Gigante, who feigned mental illness to escape prosecution starting in 1969, continuing through and beyond his final arrest and trial for racketeering in 1997. Junior Soprano's character in later seasons of the Sopranos was portrayed using Gigante's techniques of purposely putting on a bathrobe and wandering through his neighborhood daily, in feigned dementia.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 12-31-2015 at 07:48 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:52 AM   #90
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Sepp Blatter showing up to meetings & public events recently with a bandage on his face, and unshaven, also springs to mind.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #91
miami_fan
Coordinator

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/us/bi...ial/index.html
Old 04-26-2018, 04:24 PM   #92
molson
General Manager

"Cosby did not have an audible reaction to his conviction, but erupted shortly afterward. Minutes after the verdict, prosecutors asked the judge to revoke Cosby's bail because, they said, he is a flight risk and has a private plane.

Cosby, who did not testify in the trial and has sat quietly throughout the proceedings, then stood up and yelled in a loud, booming voice: "He doesn't have a plane, you asshole."

So I think the strategy now for Cosby is to drag this out. He's out pending sentencing (though confined to his home), and the defense will likely try to continue the sentencing or to set it out as far as possible. Then the direct appeal. Cosby will no doubt seek to be out on bail pending appeal. That's generally very difficult to do, and it depends on his sentence. The shorter the sentence, the more likely he'd be granted bail. In my state, nobody gets out on bail pending on appeal, but I know the northeast states can be a little more liberal on that. So the direct appeal will take a year or so.

Then the post-conviction proceeding. He'll get a new attorney and argue his trial counsel was ineffective. And his attorney did fall asleep for 30 minutes during the trial. If there were a bunch of other issues - and his trial counsel did seem a little, uh, challenged, maybe he can stretch that out too, get past the summary dismissal stage, get an evidentiary hearing, and then appeal that if he loses.

Last edited by molson : 04-26-2018 at 04:29 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #93
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This will get tossed
Old 04-26-2018, 05:52 PM   #94
CraigSca
Pro Starter

His attorney fell asleep for 30 minutes during the trial?!

Wow. Who timed it?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #95
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
His attorney fell asleep for 30 minutes during the trial?!

Wow. Who timed it?

Media reporting on the trial. Neither the judge nor the other attorneys acknowledged it at all.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:01 PM   #96
korme
Go Reds

lol Blackadar
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:30 PM   #97
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/us/bi...ial/index.html

oh man...

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 04-26-2018 at 10:30 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:15 AM   #98
Edward64
Head Coach

Long time coming ... but still sorry to see how far he has fallen.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:47 AM   #99
Kodos
Resident Alien

Don't worry. He was always a creep. We just didn't know it.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #100
miami_fan
Coordinator