Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-29-2020, 04:19 PM   #851
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I hope you chose KC v TB...

At 17-0 at the start of the 2nd quarter, the no-QB game might turn out to be more entertaining.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #852
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
At 17-0 at the start of the 2nd quarter, the no-QB game might turn out to be more entertaining.

I get the lol, but if you didn’t enjoy Mahomes to Hill in Q1, I don’t know what to say. And now TB fighting back...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #853
AlexB
Pro Starter

Dola, and Tony Romo is on form too
Old 11-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #854
Drake
assmaster

I have to admit that I love Tony Romo. In my ideal world, my kids only remember Romo as the best color guy of his generation and are surprised to learn he actually played.

But I also like Chris Collinsworth, so my taste might be suspect.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:39 PM   #855
AlexB
Pro Starter

I’m with you on on Collinsworth, I think he’s unfairly criticised. I enjoy listening to him. But I also like Joe Buck, so my taste might be suspect...

One step too far?
Old 11-29-2020, 04:41 PM   #856
Drake
assmaster

For better or worse, Joe Buck is the (baseball, at least) voice of my generation.

Note: People who have local teams probably feel differently. I'm in the middle of rural Indiana, so we're sort of in the St.Louis/Chicago/Cincinnati markets all at once. Doesn't do much to promote one voice as "the sound of baseball".

Last edited by Drake : 11-29-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:07 PM   #857
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For better or worse, Joe Buck is the (baseball, at least) voice of my generation.

Note: People who have local teams probably feel differently. I'm in the middle of rural Indiana, so we're sort of in the St.Louis/Chicago/Cincinnati markets all at once. Doesn't do much to promote one voice as "the sound of baseball".

For worse. I mean, he gets it by default because he keeps getting the World Series job. But does anyone think he's genuinely the best announcer in baseball if you're talking about ability, not resume? Like if, say, Jon Miller were Fox's #1 guy, he'd be the voice of baseball for this generation. Or Matt Vasgersian or Karl Ravech or Boog Sciambi or whoever.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:22 PM   #858
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Joe Buck is the voice that a generation is thankful for the "mute" option.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #859
AlexB
Pro Starter

That last KC TD... what else could the DB realistically do?
Old 11-29-2020, 05:48 PM   #860
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
That last KC TD... what else could the DB realistically do?

Nothing. That's one where I imagine you don't even bother to break down the film. Just tip your cap and go on to the next play.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:05 PM   #861
Drake
assmaster

As much as I admire Patrick Mahomes, and as much as I enjoy watching Tom Brady teams get hosed by officiating, nothing will send me into "back in my day" mode faster than roughing the passer calls like that one.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #862
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

WHat about the two on Brady?
Old 11-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #863
Drake
assmaster

I feel like the two on Brady were the NFL attempting to appease my demographic.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:21 PM   #864
bhlloy
Coordinator

Both of those roughing passer calls were correct as per the rules of the game. If anything I thought the second make up holding call was way, way worse and just make up call at it’s finest.

Jared Goff is just a bad QB. You could convince me you could put any other starter in that offense and have a better result. A competent QB and the Rams would absolutely be one of the 3 teams in the league to beat.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #865
Drake
assmaster

How much of both Goff and Wentz is just marketing at this point?

Or can we blame Wentz's regression on Frank Reich moving to Indy?
Old 11-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #866
Drake
assmaster

P.S. We're not giving Reich back. So fuck off, Philly.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:04 PM   #867
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Trubisky doing his best to make 100% sure Pace gets fired.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #868
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mahomes and Fournette were drafted in the same draft. That doesn't seem possible.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:48 PM   #869
Atocep
Coordinator

I can't believe there were some Bears fans that wanted to see Trubisky again. Foles is bad, but Trubisky is downright awful. There are at least 45 NFL qbs better than he is.

And firing Pace/Nagy is pointless as long as Ted Phillips is running things.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:55 PM   #870
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am looking through the 2017 draft thread. Some doozies in there (high sight of course is 2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #871
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Which won't happen, because the McCaskey's love him - he knows nothing about football, but he knows how to make money for them.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:59 PM   #872
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Regarding Trubisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
I'd take him over every other QB in this draft without hesitation. I look at him as a late first rounder, the only legit first round QB this year, solely due to lack of experience. Taking him top 10 isn't something I would do unless I was a good team that had gotten that pick through trade, but he and Nathan Peterman are the two guys I think have the best chance of actually being something in the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Seeing a lot of Corey Davis to the Eagles scuttlebutt. I might need to change my underpants if that happens. I really believe he's a generational type talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
LeShun Daniels from Iowa will be better then Mixon
Old 11-29-2020, 09:02 PM   #873
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

From the same poster. Eek...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
What have I missed about McCaffery? The highlights that I have seen only show him running in space. Just seems like he is faster than a lot of college kids; nothing jumps out about him to me.

I kept hearing people talking about him possibly dropping to the Eagles and I am glad he didn't.

Quote:
Damn, was hoping Ross would fall to 14...

Quote:
I would laugh my ass off if the Chiefs traded up to pick Mahomes...

Last edited by Lathum : 11-29-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:04 PM   #874
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Which won't happen, because the McCaskey's love him - he knows nothing about football, but he knows how to make money for them.

I read somewhere the reason Ballard wasn't offered the GM job was because he wanted Ted Phillips cut out of football decisions after his previous experience in Chicago.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #875
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

half right I suppose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
I'll take Trubisky over Watson every day of the week, but not Mahomes.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:07 PM   #876
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I am looking through the 2017 draft thread. Some doozies in there (high sight of course is 2020)

I remember liking Mahomes and Watson. Loved Joe Mixon and McCaffrey as players.

I didn't really want the Bears to take a QB but understood if they did. I don't think I had an opinion of Trubisky though as I didn't see him play.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:13 PM   #877
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I remember liking Mahomes and Watson. Loved Joe Mixon and McCaffrey as players.

I didn't really want the Bears to take a QB but understood if they did. I don't think I had an opinion of Trubisky though as I didn't see him play.

you were pretty spot on, better than most GMs lol.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #878
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well, at least I feel comfortable saying I would still rather have Goff than Trubisky. You could have convinced me that the Bears had the guy who hadn’t played QB since 2017. That last read and throw into triple coverage shouldn’t even be possible for a guy who has been in the league this long.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:30 PM   #879
Swaggs
Coordinator

I remember not being very excited about the Steelers’ draft in 2017. Looking back, they nailed their top 3 rounds. Ended up with arguably the best pass rusher and receiver in TJ Watt and JuJu. Also ended up with a pro bowl RB in James Connor. Too bad we won’t be able to afford second contracts for Smith-Schuster and Connor.

I hope JuJu ends up with a good young QB (preferably in the NFC) and in a good situation next year. He’s only 24, has (barely) the most receiving yards in the class, and had to deal with some unfortunate situations with Antonio Brown self destructing and Ben being injured last year. He seems like a good kid and it would be nice to see him have a good run over the next 8-10 years.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #880
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I don't think I've ever had a QB with negative points in fantasy football but Derek Carr you did it!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #881
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Regarding Trubisky

I had to go take a look. Surprisingly(or maybe not) there wasnt a lot of hype surrounding Mahomes. I was on the list of people that didnt think he'd amount to much. He seemed to just run around and make plays out of nothing in college however I was concerned how he was going to perform when plays didnt breakdown.

I love the yearly Iowa agent pimp from Tarcone.... LeShun Daniels. HAHAHA

Them old draft threads are the best.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-30-2020 at 10:03 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #882
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Trubisky doing his best to make 100% sure Pace gets fired.

Haven't they already moved on from him? I think the fact they already chose Foles over him and his last years draft might have sealed the fate already.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #883
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I remember the reports on Mahomes were that he was athletically gifted but had shockingly bad footwork and fundamentals. And that his athleticism covered up his lack of fundamentals. And that he'd "never get away with that" in the NFL.

Based on that, I figured he'd be a big bust.

But Andy Reid traded up for him, and if he hadn't, then Sean Payton would have picked him with the next pick. So the guys who really knew their shit were onto him. But I do not remember any of that filtering out pre-draft to us unwashed masses.

I remember thinking that it was insane that Watson didn't go in the top 3. But Mahomes was totally off my radar.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 11-30-2020 at 10:06 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #884
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Haven't they already moved on from him? I think the fact they already chose Foles over him and his last years draft might have sealed the fate already.

Yes - but him coming back in and showing he looks nothing like an NFL QB still doesn't help the GM who picked him. He was out of sight out of mind for a while, and Bears fans were kinda wondering if he wasn't so bad after all... well here's the reminder.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #885
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

I remember thinking that it was insane that Watson didn't go in the top 3. But Mahomes was totally off my radar.

I had issues with Watson as well. I clearly shouldn't be a draft expert. I thought Watson lacked arm strength because I seen him float a few too many passes on 10-15 yard out patterns.

I think a lot of what people miss on these QBs is their football sense. Watson and Mahomes are very intelligent QBs and they make good decisions. Trubinsky still looks clueless most of the time after being a starter for 3 years. I am not sure how you scout for that.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:20 AM   #886
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yes - but him coming back in and showing he looks nothing like an NFL QB still doesn't help the GM who picked him. He was out of sight out of mind for a while, and Bears fans were kinda wondering if he wasn't so bad after all... well here's the reminder.

Very true!
Old 11-30-2020, 10:28 AM   #887
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I remember the reports on Mahomes were that he was athletically gifted but had shockingly bad footwork and fundamentals. And that his athleticism covered up his lack of fundamentals. And that he'd "never get away with that" in the NFL.

Based on that, I figured he'd be a big bust.

But Andy Reid traded up for him, and if he hadn't, then Sean Payton would have picked him with the next pick. So the guys who really knew their shit were onto him. But I do not remember any of that filtering out pre-draft to us unwashed masses.

Mahomes also had the every Texas Tech QB puts up numbers (& every Big 12 defense is atrocious) stigma against him. Like you I don't remember thinking anything bad about Mahomes, but the book was that he was raw with potential & I was surprised like most the Chiefs used a top 10 pick on him when they had a good QB. I think the only game I remember really watching him were shootouts vs Baylor or Oklahoma or West Virginia, and they're both basically running read options for 8 yards a pop or quad verticals & getting receivers open by 10 yards every single play.

Plus like you Watson was always the one that made no sense to me unless teams were more worried about a knee injury or something - he just had back to back title games vs an Alabama defense absolutely loaded with NFL 1st round picks where he was the best player in the field, and every report on intangibles said the work ethic was there & teammates loved him.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-30-2020 at 10:33 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:10 AM   #888
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I have to admit that I love Tony Romo. In my ideal world, my kids only remember Romo as the best color guy of his generation and are surprised to learn he actually played.

But I also like Chris Collinsworth, so my taste might be suspect.

Quote:
I’m with you on on Collinsworth, I think he’s unfairly criticised. I enjoy listening to him. But I also like Joe Buck, so my taste might be suspect...

One step too far?

The Michaels/Collinsworth broadcast team is my favorite by far. Romo is good too. Way better than Phil Simms was.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #889
bhlloy
Coordinator

I enjoy Romo too. He seems to have a natural chemistry with Nance and although his dad joke humor is cringey it also kinda works, and you can’t argue with the insight he provides into the game and the QB position.

Regarding scouting QBs I think jbergey nailed it. It’s just so difficult to differentiate between the QB who has difficulties reading defenses because he wasn’t asked to in college vs the QB who has unfixable issues doing so. I’d have sworn with better coaching Darnold would have been able to fix the issues he had at USC (and he got Gased so the better coaching is very suspect there) but he hasn’t... how do you quantify that in the short period of time these teams have to talk with these QBs?
Old 11-30-2020, 05:23 PM   #890
PilotMan
Head Coach

Ravens/Steelers to Wedesday now. Might as well give them a bye week and move the next Sunday game to Monday. What a mess.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:57 PM   #891
RendeR
Coordinator

I say cancel it and give both teams a loss for the date. With the sheer number of cases there is obviously a severe lack of discipline within those programs to the detriment of the league.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:20 PM   #892
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well damn

Colts news: Rigoberto Sanchez punted vs. Titans despite cancer diagnosis
Old 11-30-2020, 09:42 PM   #893
molson
General Manager

There's kind of an interesting game of chicken going on here. I'm not sure of the details, but if the Ravens refuse to play, it may count as an unauthorized "Wildcat Strike", which would permit the NFL to rip up this year's CBA and either cancel the season, or, have all the leverage for a new deal on their terms to wrap things up this season.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:54 AM   #894
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The NFL finally met a TV moment it can't bully itself into primetime past - the lighting of the Rockerfeller Center tree. Seriously. I guess NBC sees a ratings bonanza - sports people in the afternoon, GFs/wives of sports people at night.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-01-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:53 AM   #895
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Reason number one million why I don't bet - I see the line for last night's game was -6.5 and the Eagles were down 23-9 with like 15 seconds left when Wentz threw up a duck that was caught one-handed off a deflection for an amazing TD. Then they went for 2 for whatever reason (the XP would have made it a 7 point game) and got it, making the final 23-17. Ouch.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #896
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The NFL finally met a TV moment it can't bully itself into primetime past - the lighting of the Rockerfeller Center tree. Seriously. I guess NBC sees a ratings bonanza - sports people in the afternoon, GFs/wives of sports people at night.

Can't afford for Ben to get caught up in the outbreak too.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 12-01-2020 at 10:18 AM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #897
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Reason number one million why I don't bet - I see the line for last night's game was -6.5 and the Eagles were down 23-9 with like 15 seconds left when Wentz threw up a duck that was caught one-handed off a deflection for an amazing TD. Then they went for 2 for whatever reason (the XP would have made it a 7 point game) and got it, making the final 23-17. Ouch.

I think that coaches have way too much going on to worry about lines.

But that 2pc really makes you think . . .
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #898
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

*Pete Rose dislikes this post*
Old 12-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #899
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

But that 2pc really makes you think . . .

Brent Musberger has said he thinks over 80% of coaches know the lines. People have also gone back and analyzed games, mostly college, and found it likely the coach knows the line and was trying to get the cover/over based on play calling at the end. some are well known to do it, the boosters love it.

These guys pay attention
Old 12-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #900
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

The line opened at 5.5. then went to 6. Then 6.5. Anyone who held a 6.5 ticket deserves to lose.

Last edited by Lathum : 12-01-2020 at 11:33 AM.