Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2022, 12:38 AM   #401
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Agreed probably Kansas vs Duke. Maybe Unc.

It's a bit premature, but if UNC defeats St. Peters tomorrow night, they will advance to the Final Four and play Duke. It's hard to believe that two of the most storied programs in college basketball history have never met in the NCAA tournament. In the 47 tournaments since the NCAA took multiple teams from each conference (beginning in 1975), Duke and Carolina have combined for 58 Sweet 16 appearances, 27 Final Fours and 10 National Championships. Yet they have never played each other in the NCAA tournament.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 03-27-2022 at 12:53 AM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:58 AM   #402
Edward64
Head Coach

Good run Hogs, no complaints here.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 10:38 AM   #403
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Golly, I'm just completely shocked about this

Hardaway, Memphis face multiple Level I, II charges by the NCAA

https://dailymemphian.com/article/27...ges#/questions

Feels very much like another attempt of the NCAA desperately trying to hang on to relevance or something more sinister. Much like the discussion about Kelvin Sampson earlier, this seems very quaint given the current environment.

Adidas announces creation of wide-reaching NIL network - Sports Illustrated
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #404
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Feels very much like another attempt of the NCAA desperately trying to hang on to relevance or something more sinister.

Honestly, I really wish the NCAA would just disband/dissolve/whatevertheword.

People wanted the Wild West, let 'em have it. Leave it with 'em.

And I hope it all burns to the ground completely. Better to not exist than be what it has become afaic.
Old 03-27-2022, 01:24 PM   #405
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yay, Miami gets to flop

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 01:50 PM   #406
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
This isn't something that would bother me as a player but it is throwing me off that the ball in this Texas Southern - TAMU-CC game looks almost yellow.

I spoke way too soon on this ball impacting players. I think they're using old school Voit rubber basketballs for no reason whatsoever.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 02:05 PM   #407
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I just learned the Miami Hurricanes have a player named McGusty.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 03:06 PM   #408
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Feels very much like another attempt of the NCAA desperately trying to hang on to relevance or something more sinister. Much like the discussion about Kelvin Sampson earlier, this seems very quaint given the current environment.

Adidas announces creation of wide-reaching NIL network - Sports Illustrated

Pretty much. Penny could get a NBA job though and there's no other college program he'd coach besides this one, much like Juwan at Michigan. That said, that program has long been a shady mess, so why was it supposed to stop now? Wild they weren't able to leverage his recruiting into more success, but the college basketball landscape now isn't 1960 and the NCAA is a relic. There need to be rules, but good luck finding consensus in this environment.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #409
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My god. That second half

SI

Old 03-27-2022, 03:48 PM   #410
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
My god. That second half

SI

I dozed off about three minutes in to the second half and woke up to a 30 point lead.
Old 03-27-2022, 08:20 PM   #411
tarcone
Coordinator

Conspiracy theory: NCAA told refs that they want a Duke UNC game after they positioned the teams to be right where they are. A dramatic and awesome going away present.

EDIT: I realized it is the semi final game and not the final.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 03-28-2022 at 07:22 AM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:59 PM   #412
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Coastal Carolina will face a familiar foe in the semis of the Basketball Classic-fellow Sun Belt member South Alabama at their place. They only played once during the regular season due to COVID, and lost by 4. If they win they will face the winner of UTEP and the Youngstown State/Fresno State winner.

And a 3 pointer sends Coastal and South Alabama into OT tied at 60

Edit: And another 3 pointer with 1 second left seals the game for the Chants 69-68 and they move on the Finals of the Basketball Classic!

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-28-2022 at 09:21 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:19 AM   #413
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You guys are having one heck of a sports year

SI

Old 03-29-2022, 08:44 AM   #414
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
You guys are having one heck of a sports year

SI

Yes its going to suck when they all have a down season.

Coastal gets Fresno State in the finals after they crushed Southern Utah. And they get home court advantage again when they play in Conway on Thursday
Old 03-29-2022, 08:49 AM   #415
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Why in the world did #1 seed South Carolina have to play #2 seed UConn in Bridgeport in the Women's Elite Eight?

It's one thing if, say, #8 seed North Carolina was placed in Raleigh as you don't expect a #8 seed to make it there. But as a #2 seed?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-29-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:52 AM   #416
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

NC State, not South Carolina. But yes, it's total BS. You earn a #1 seed so the most dominant women's program of the past 2 decades, the #2 seed, can have a home game. It was a 10K sellout crowd and I bet 9750 of them were UConn fans. They got screwed.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-29-2022 at 08:53 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:59 AM   #417
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
NC State, not South Carolina. But yes, it's total BS. You earn a #1 seed so the most dominant women's program of the past 2 decades, the #2 seed, can have a home game. It was a 10K sellout crowd and I bet 9750 of them were UConn fans. They got screwed.

I was just using UNC as an example since they were a low seed on the men's side. Like if UNC had been playing St. Peters or even a higher seed like Purdue in Raleigh, you'd just chalk it up to weird luck since they were a low seed.

SI

Old 03-29-2022, 09:39 AM   #418
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

A clear screw job by the NCAA selection committee. One of two things should have happened:

1. UConn as a #1 seed, playing in the Bridgeport regional with Louisville as the #2 seed in that regional. NC State as a #1 seed in the Wichita regional.

2. UConn as a #2 seed, playing in the Wichita Regional with Louisville as the #1 seed.

The first scenario is probably what should have happened. Louisville lost to NC State during the regular season and didn't even make it to the ACC Championship game. Either way, you don't give a #2 seed a defacto home game against a #1 seed in a regional final.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 03-29-2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:34 PM   #419
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

They said it was something about the S-Curve, but you all know that it was about the revenue curve. The Athletic covered it. Essentially "we're too cheap to send them elsewhere" and also "cash rules everything.." I don't know how anyone in that room didn't speak up, but...so it goes.

Quote:
Committee chair Nina King, the athletic director at Duke, explained earlier this month that UConn got placed into the Bridgeport Regional because of the S-curve, a method that ensures higher-seeded teams are in brackets with lower-seeded teams. South Carolina, the top overall seed, would get its closest site in Greensboro, with No. 2 overall seed Stanford playing in Spokane. NC State was the No. 3 team overall and is located closer to Bridgeport than Wichita — and UConn was the sixth overall seed, and a No. 6 should be matched with a No. 3 for balance.

“We take into account fan experience, student-athlete welfare, modes of transportation, whether it’s a drive or a fly,” King said. “There’s a variety of things that we certainly take into account and have a lot of discussion around, and certainly UConn and Bridgeport was one of those that we spent a lot of time on ensuring that we got it right.”

Didn't realize St. Bonaventure made the NIT Semis, good for them.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-29-2022 at 10:36 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:01 AM   #420
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hey! We've reached some semblance of equality. The committee arbitrarily trots out the s-curve mostly for bs reasons in both men's /and/ women's basketball as it's clear they don't apply it fairly for either

SI

Old 03-30-2022, 03:46 PM   #421
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
They said it was something about the S-Curve, but you all know that it was about the revenue curve.

What's left out is how the committee cherry-picks their own NET ratings, which are supposed to be the primary analytic for the overall seeds of the 68 teams. NC State won the ACC regular-season and tournament championships. They were a clear No. 2 in the NET, and only South Carolina has a better record against top-25 NET opponents. In fact, the final NET rankings had 1. South Carolina, 2. NC State, 3. Stanford and 4. UConn. So they slide NC State into the #3 overall seed and Stanford into #2 overall. Move UConn down to #6. After the reverse engineering has concluded, they say "Well, when we placed the teams in the regionals, we were just following the S-Curve. Bridgeport was the closest regional for NC State, and since UConn was the #6 overall seed they were paired with NC State". How convenient.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 03-30-2022 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:51 PM   #422
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
What's left out is how the committee cherry-picks their own NET ratings, which are supposed to be the primary analytic for the overall seeds of the 68 teams.

Nope.

Quote:
The NET is one of many resources/tools available to the committee in the selection, seeding and bracketing process. Computer models cannot accurately evaluate qualitative factors such as games missed by key players or coaches, travel difficulties and other effects of specific games.

Each committee member independently evaluates a vast amount of information during the process to make individual decisions. It is these qualitative, quantitative and subjective opinions -- developed after hours of personal observations, discussion with coaches, directors of athletics and commissioners, and review and comparison of various data -- that each individual ultimately will determine their vote on all issues related to selections, seeding and bracketing.

It is _a_ tool, not _the _ tool.

If they choose to ingore it entirely or if they choose to value it above all else, that is entirely up to each voting member of the committee.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-30-2022 at 06:52 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:38 PM   #423
tarcone
Coordinator

Guess what? If you dont lose you become the national champion.

Old 03-30-2022, 09:09 PM   #424
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Nope.

It is _a_ tool, not _the _ tool.

If they choose to ingore it entirely or if they choose to value it above all else, that is entirely up to each voting member of the committee.

I see. So there was no conscious effort to flip-flop NC State and Stanford at #2 and #3 and bump UCONN down to #6 so that they could conveniently say they were just following the protocol for placing the seeds. For a minute, I thought there might have been some seed manipulation going on there to ensure that UCONN got to play in the Bridgeport Regional. I'm glad to see that it was just mere coincidence.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 03-30-2022 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:50 AM   #425
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Yes its going to suck when they all have a down season.

Coastal gets Fresno State in the finals after they crushed Southern Utah. And they get home court advantage again when they play in Conway on Thursday

Coastal will have to wait until Friday because the weather has been so bad in the South, Fresno State couldn't get here for Thursday's game, which is probably a good thing because we are supposed to get our share of wind and rain today anyway.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:20 PM   #426
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Coastal will have to wait until Friday because the weather has been so bad in the South, Fresno State couldn't get here for Thursday's game, which is probably a good thing because we are supposed to get our share of wind and rain today anyway.

And the party's over They were down most of the game, and for a lot of the second half by 20, but pulled back to 7 before Fresno took control again and won 85-74.

I wasn't expecting a postseason for this team, let alone making it to the Finals, so pretty happy with how their season ended.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:14 PM   #427
miami_fan
Coordinator

It will never be any better for Tar Heel fans.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:18 PM   #428
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
It will never be any better for Tar Heel fans.

Although Coach K's legacy is firmly cemented, I'm sure that ending his career with a two game losing streak to UNC will stick in his craw for a long, long time.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:18 AM   #429
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It seems really weird to say that the national championship game is house money. But that’s how it feels. Kansas could win by 20 on Monday, and I’m still smiling ear to ear about this season.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:34 AM   #430
tarcone
Coordinator

A kid in one of my classes told me, before the start of the tourney, that Iowa would lose in the 1st and NC was going to win it all.

Rain man.

Old 04-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #431
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
It seems really weird to say that the national championship game is house money. But that’s how it feels. Kansas could win by 20 on Monday, and I’m still smiling ear to ear about this season.

I'd be very happy if the team felt that way, too. I'd be fine to settle for a natty as a "consolation prize" and makeup for losing the tournament in 2020

SI

Old 04-03-2022, 10:37 AM   #432
JPhillips
General Manager

Coach K losing his last game makes the whole tourny worthwhile.
Old 04-03-2022, 11:41 AM   #433
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Another quirk of the Final Four: Both teams in the national championship game tomorrow night are coached by guys who succeeded Roy Williams.
Old 04-03-2022, 06:00 PM   #434
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Coach K losing his last game makes the whole tourny worthwhile.

Agree 100%.
Old 04-03-2022, 06:06 PM   #435
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Another quirk of the Final Four: Both teams in the national championship game tomorrow night are coached by guys who succeeded Roy Williams.

It's the Huckleberry Hound Bowl!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-03-2022, 09:27 PM   #436
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Wow. Guess I just don't get the hate but, almost every coach loses their last game? I would get it if they lost in the second round or something.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 12:57 AM   #437
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Wow. Guess I just don't get the hate but, almost every coach loses their last game? I would get it if they lost in the second round or something.

Despite the link title, the interesting part is what's currently at the top of it: how there are only eight major sport coaches who won their final game

John Wooden, Bill Walsh, Scotty Bowman, Al McGuire, Tom Osborne, Red Auerbach, Toe Blake, and Buck Shaw.
Kansas vs. North Carolina predictions, expert picks: NCAA championship 2022 odds, spread for March Madness - CBSSports.com
Old 04-04-2022, 07:32 AM   #438
Ksyrup

Quote:
Despite the link title, the interesting part is what's currently at the top of it: how there are only eight major sport coaches who won their final game

John Wooden, Bill Walsh, Scotty Bowman, Al McGuire, Tom Osborne, Red Auerbach, Toe Blake, and Buck Shaw.
Kansas vs. North Carolina predictions, expert picks: NCAA championship 2022 odds, spread for March Madness - CBSSports.com

Is there an article about that subject? I assume this is limited to coaches in championship games, not just final game ever right?
Old 04-04-2022, 07:34 AM   #439
cuervo72
Head Coach

Jim Caldwell won his last game.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:03 AM   #440
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The math on that is interesting and something I had not thought about.

Every year, half the teams would lose their final regular season game.

Then, out of the ones who won their final regular season game and made the playoffs, only one of those would win their final game.

So I guess in every given year, most teams/coaches will lose their final game. The only ones who won't will be the ones who (1) didn't make the playoffs but randomly won their last regular season game, or (2) won the title.

Historically, you would have a better return in baseball (less teams make playoffs) and old-time college football (no playoffs).

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 04-04-2022 at 08:04 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:14 AM   #441
Ksyrup

If you count bowl games as basically winning the last regular season game but not making a playoff, the number increases quite a bit, I would assume.

For instance, Bobby Bowden won his last game, but it was a glorified exhibition.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:51 PM   #442
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The fact that a sports title game starts at 9:20 EST is ridiculous.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:17 PM   #443
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The fact that a sports title game starts at 9:20 EST is ridiculous.

Someone needs to talk to MLB about this, too

SI

Old 04-04-2022, 08:23 PM   #444
tarcone
Coordinator

I hate to say that I am rooting for Kansas, but the alternative is way worse.

Old 04-04-2022, 08:37 PM   #445
Ksyrup

In true Lexington fashion, it has been noted multiple times the past couple days that UK beat both of these teams on neutral or away floors by a combined 47 points and one of the news stations ran a poll asking which team you want to see lose more.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:56 PM   #446
Ksyrup

Has anyone coined the term Auto-Manek yet?
Old 04-04-2022, 09:08 PM   #447
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

would be nice if Kansas could make a lay up
Old 04-04-2022, 10:01 PM   #448
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
would be nice if Kansas could make a lay up

It looks like the lid came off the basket (finally)

SI

Old 04-04-2022, 10:03 PM   #449
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Has anyone coined the term Auto-Manek yet?

Nice! Claim it.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:03 PM   #450
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

YES!!!

SI