Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2022, 10:57 AM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

Christian Nationalism hits close to home

THIS POST IS ABOUT LGBT AND RELIGION. FEEL FREE TO IGNORE IT IF ITS GOING TO UPSET YOU/DOESN'T CONCERN YOU.

Sorry just needed someplace to vent about what happened in my county (Horry) the last few days and I have always felt welcome here:

Horry County Council quietly rescinds resolution designating June as ‘Pride Month’

The article explains what happened better than I can. Horry County like most counties pass things like National Cat Day, Memorial Days for county officials, etc in a process explained in the article without a vote on it, and announced they had done so. It was a bit surprising as a lot of interior Horry County is small town/very conservative and religious.

Well at the next meeting, several people protested, led by a pastor in the County that the County had done this in the process described in the article. Many of the Councilman said they were unaware that this was going to be approved, and asked for the issue to be reopened and voted on, and when they did, they voted it down. And the councilman who put up the issue for a vote in the first place said Pride month was not needed and not what I believe in

So that's why Pride Month is needed in the first place.

Thanks for letting me vent guys.

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-10-2022 at 12:52 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:15 AM   #2
cuervo72
Head Coach

*rubs head*

Sorry Dan.

If some wish to know why some of us are distancing from the church, it's exactly crap like this. (Not exclusively. But it's a big part of it.)
Old 06-10-2022, 02:48 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That and the pastor who just this week advocated shooting LGBT folks "in the back of the head"
Old 06-10-2022, 02:55 PM   #4
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

That sucks.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 02:57 PM   #5
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I am sorry
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:06 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sorry, Thomkal. It's an ugly world we live in.
Old 06-10-2022, 03:54 PM   #7
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
That and the pastor who just this week advocated shooting LGBT folks "in the back of the head"

These "men of God" are such kind, forgiving people
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:08 PM   #8
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thanks guys. I can't imagine that anyone who is "different" would want anything to do with religion.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:18 PM   #9
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

*hugs*

I know. old folks getting hardons when samesexxers ride by on their bikes and are scared of those feelins in their pants...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:19 PM   #10
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'm not sure why you feel safe here when there are several anti LGBTA+ here and on the mod team
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:25 PM   #11
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I'm not sure why you feel safe here when there are several anti LGBTA+ here and on the mod team

Thanks CF , I've never encountered any negativity directed at me since I came out here. So I'm not too worried.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:06 PM   #12
JPhillips
General Manager

What fucking cowards that not a single one voted in favor.

Sorry for you and all the others there.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:13 PM   #13
Thomkal
Head Coach

So I have another local story to talk about-wasn't going to talk about it but then got the full story.

I am a non-practicing Lutheran, my mother is still and for health reasons no longer goes to the local Lutheran Church, but watches live services over the internet. The pastor there comes to our house every month to give her Communion, and such. He's actually a nice guy, visited me in the hospital when I had my blood pressure issues, fixed some siding on our house that was about to fall off,etc. I don't talk to him much because the Lutheran Synod does not allow their pastors to perform gay marriages, and in fact he can't even be in a church when one is going on.

So my Mom told me about how they had just dedicated a new organ in the Church. He removed the altar beforehand and stated that this was not a religious service, and then for some crazy reason, came out dressed as an woman, and apparently sang a very funny song during the dedication. Mom didn't see any of it, but her friends who was there said it was very funny and everyone laughed.

Somehow word got out up the chain of Lutheran leadership that he had done this and even though he had removed the altar before his song, the banners and other religious items were still there, and the Church felt that made it look like the Lutheran Church was okay with transgender issues, made him apologize publicly, say it was a sin to do what he did and beg the Congregations forgiveness.

I now really want to ask him if he now knows how it feels to be ostracized by the Church for just being himself
Old 06-11-2022, 10:31 PM   #14
JPhillips
General Manager

I was in the city watching How I Learned to Drive and one of the main characters is from Horry County. I probably wouldn't have paid attention to that before this thread!
Old 06-12-2022, 06:36 AM   #15
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I was in the city watching How I Learned to Drive and one of the main characters is from Horry County. I probably wouldn't have paid attention to that before this thread!

which character?
Old 06-12-2022, 07:48 AM   #16
JPhillips
General Manager

Uncle Peck. He gets run out of SC, presumably because he molests children.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:21 AM   #17
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Uncle Peck. He gets run out of SC, presumably because he molests children.

That wouldn't happen here
Old 06-18-2022, 05:11 PM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So I have another local story to talk about-wasn't going to talk about it but then got the full story.

I am a non-practicing Lutheran, my mother is still and for health reasons no longer goes to the local Lutheran Church, but watches live services over the internet. The pastor there comes to our house every month to give her Communion, and such. He's actually a nice guy, visited me in the hospital when I had my blood pressure issues, fixed some siding on our house that was about to fall off,etc. I don't talk to him much because the Lutheran Synod does not allow their pastors to perform gay marriages, and in fact he can't even be in a church when one is going on.

So my Mom told me about how they had just dedicated a new organ in the Church. He removed the altar beforehand and stated that this was not a religious service, and then for some crazy reason, came out dressed as an woman, and apparently sang a very funny song during the dedication. Mom didn't see any of it, but her friends who was there said it was very funny and everyone laughed.

Somehow word got out up the chain of Lutheran leadership that he had done this and even though he had removed the altar before his song, the banners and other religious items were still there, and the Church felt that made it look like the Lutheran Church was okay with transgender issues, made him apologize publicly, say it was a sin to do what he did and beg the Congregations forgiveness.

I now really want to ask him if he now knows how it feels to be ostracized by the Church for just being himself

Out of curiosity: LCMS or ELCA? Then again, in a lot of areas, you don't have a lot of choices - just whichever Lutheran church set up shop there. I was raised LCMS but have found myself much more at home in ELCA as an adult and can't see myself going back. I believe ELCA parishes can choose to perform gay marriages or not, as of Obregefell, but I could be mistaken.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:26 PM   #19
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Out of curiosity: LCMS or ELCA? Then again, in a lot of areas, you don't have a lot of choices - just whichever Lutheran church set up shop there. I was raised LCMS but have found myself much more at home in ELCA as an adult and can't see myself going back. I believe ELCA parishes can choose to perform gay marriages or not, as of Obregefell, but I could be mistaken.

SI

To be honest I'm not sure but I think LCMS