Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2019, 06:40 AM   #18901
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Dear people,

If you're going to bicycle in the dark, please do not wear all black clothes. I do not feel like committing vehicular manslaughter today.

Thank you.

When I lived in Seattle it was the absolute worst. I felt like I almost killed a biker weekly.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:32 AM   #18902
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So are we just determined to push every holiday further and further from the actual day of celebration? Halloween decorations have been up in stores for almost two weeks and now I see that two of my neighbors have already put up Halloween decorations. I actually loves decorating the house for the holidays from Halloween through Christmas but damn. September 15 is NOT Halloween season!

Gronkowski just pushed forward his next 35ish off birthdays so he can say he’s 69.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:02 AM   #18903
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dear people,

If you're going to bicycle in the dark, please do not wear all black clothes. I do not feel like committing vehicular manslaughter today.

Thank you.

These and those blasted powered scooters, the people that ride these things don't pay attention and zip in between lanes of traffic and forget that I cannot stop as quickly as they can...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:54 PM   #18904
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:49 PM   #18905
cuervo72
Head Coach

I've never understood the whole "speaking in tongues" thing. It raised an eyebrow when it was a question on our paperwork (as in, "do you have the ability to") when we joined our church a number of years ago.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:13 PM   #18906
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I thought speaking in tongues was like ... spontaneously babbling in some ancient forgotten language.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:41 PM   #18907
thesloppy
Pro Starter

He does some of that in there...poorly.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #18908
Kodos
Resident Alien

I saw a girl riding her bike and texting the other day here in New Haven. It just makes you shake your head.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #18909
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
The McRib is coming back next month.

The McRib is coming back in a few days
Old 10-03-2019, 01:55 PM   #18910
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I've never understood the whole "speaking in tongues" thing. It raised an eyebrow when it was a question on our paperwork (as in, "do you have the ability to") when we joined our church a number of years ago.

It's a Pentecostal thing mainly. I kind of describe it less as speaking in some other actual language, and more like you feel this bubbling joy or prayer within you that you can't adequately express with formed words, so it comes out as gibberish. And then you call up that gibberish when you want to remember that feeling and use it in prayer.

FWIW, I have indeed spoken in tongues and 'have the ability to'. Though it is a very rare thing in Lutheran settings, so I am not necessarily asked about it (and people look at me funny for a second when I say I can).
Old 10-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #18911
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
The McRib is coming back in a few days

And I heard it's going to be a bumper crop for McRibs this year.

P.S. I had to look up how long ago I posted that...almost 8 years...8 years...is it me or is time going by faster?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #18912
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, I attended a church where they spoke in tongues. It was definitely weird for me (non practicing Catholic) but I saw sincerity and intensity. Never did any research into it but apparently lots of references in the Bible.

What Does the Bible Say About Speaking In Tongues?

The preacher looking at his phone messes with all that though.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #18913
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Has anyone here tried Hello Fresh?
Old 10-03-2019, 07:24 PM   #18914
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Has anyone here tried Hello Fresh?

Going through the trial week now. The wife wanted something quick and easy to make on her dinner nights. It was good enough that we're trying a 2nd week.

My personal opinion so far is that the food is much better than I expected and the wife said it's easy to make. The couple of meals we've had were very flavorful and filling. I don't see us using it for more than a night or 2 per week, but once summer baseball starts it's been almost impossible for us to avoid a lot of fast food so this could really help us there.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #18915
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Good to know. How good of a cook does one have to be in order to make the meals?
Old 10-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #18916
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Good to know. How good of a cook does one have to be in order to make the meals?

"Dummy proof easy" according to my wife.

Each meal comes with a sheet that breaks the cooking instructions down in 6 steps with pictures along with a list of any dishes/pots/pans needed. Out the 3 meals we received the only ingredients we had to provide were salt, pepper, vegetable oil, and olive oil.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:16 PM   #18917
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I saw a girl riding her bike and texting the other day here in New Haven. It just makes you shake your head.
I see it every day in Chicago. And the people speeding (their cars) through city streets on their phones and not stopping at stop signs is insane.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:38 AM   #18918
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah those packaged meals are really easy to make. If you can’t cook it’ll be a good start.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #18919
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

We haven't done a draft around here in a very long time and that needs to change.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #18920
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Is there a more selfish or unaware person than the parents that bring the stupid oversized chairs into high school stadium bleachers and crowd the folks on either side and behind them?

Watching a HS volleyball regional tourney. Gym is packed as teams shuffle in and out. One seat open on the whole bleachers and granny and her backpack chair plops in front of me with half the chair hanging off the back of the seat and into my knee. Looks back and says ”sir you may need to move”

I smiled and said sorry no where to go, maybe it’d be easier without the chair....(silently to my self - you worthless cunt)

And she thinks I’m the asshole in this exchange.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:57 AM   #18921
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

Thats the thing I hate, when someone is clearly operating as a selfish prick outside the norms of society and when you get annoyed and say something you are the asshole.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:07 AM   #18922
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What a worthless seaward
Old 10-08-2019, 05:06 AM   #18923
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

(Repurposed from my social media)

Quote:
Facebook sure is a funny thing (funnier than baseball even maybe).

Just when you start thinking "man, maybe this is for the birds", something cool comes up that would not have happened if not for Facebook.

Doesn't matter what prompted this honestly, cause if you're still here to read this then I imagine it's probably happened to you too.

Pretty f'n cool to have an hour long solid conversation at 5am out of the blue with someone that there's zero chance you'd chat with (due to geography, familiarity, opportunity) if not for this social media stuff.

I guess that's why it works.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #18924
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Is there a more selfish or unaware person than the parents that bring the stupid oversized chairs into high school stadium bleachers and crowd the folks on either side and behind them?

Watching a HS volleyball regional tourney. Gym is packed as teams shuffle in and out. One seat open on the whole bleachers and granny and her backpack chair plops in front of me with half the chair hanging off the back of the seat and into my knee. Looks back and says ”sir you may need to move”

I smiled and said sorry no where to go, maybe it’d be easier without the chair....(silently to my self - you worthless cunt)

You were nicer than I would have been. Knee would have stayed firmly in place on my end and I would have kindly informed her to get here earlier next time.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-08-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #18925
Izulde
Head Coach

I personally wouldn't have said anything. I'd just have shrugged and stared at her.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #18926
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I personally wouldn't have said anything. I'd just have shrugged and stared at her.

Upon review, I think I'd have said nothing either ... after I finished laughing in her face that is.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #18927
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I had an ex who did things like that. Justified inconveniencing others by saying "it isn't the end of the world". No, but neither is what you feel like you need to be doing and that's a terrible response.

Of course she thought she was super selfless.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #18928
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I have a similar memory that is burned in my head even years later: I was at a fairgrounds concert with my buddy (Steely Dan AND Michael McDonald) and midway through the headliner's set this old lady and her husband take the seats next to us, and the lady leans over and loudly "SHUSH"es my buddy like a cartoon witch before her butt has even hit her seat. Lady you haven't even been in this vicinity for a full fucking second.

My mom's one of those people. She can immediately identify the staff in the restaurant with the least responsibility and/or grasp of the English language and she will immediately start making requests of them. She always moves seats after the movie starts. She always requests a different room then whatever the hotel gives her. etc. etc. Once I told her she had Shitty Customer Disease and it did not go over well.

Last edited by thesloppy : 10-08-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #18929
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
My mom's one of those people. She can immediately identify the staff in the restaurant with the least responsibility and/or grasp of the English language and she will immediately start making requests of them. She always moves seats after the movie starts. She always requests a different room then whatever the hotel gives her. etc. etc. Once I told her she had Shitty Customer Disease and it did not go over well.

Did she ask to speak to your manager when you told her that?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 10-08-2019, 04:17 PM   #18930
thesloppy
Pro Starter

YOU ARE MY MANAGER MOM! I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU!
Old 10-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #18931
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
YOU ARE MY MANAGER MOM! I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU!

Oh man, that would almost be like a divide by zero loop, haha!

Old 10-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #18932
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
(Repurposed from my social media)

Pretty f'n cool to have an hour long solid conversation at 5am out of the blue with someone that there's zero chance you'd chat with (due to geography, familiarity, opportunity) if not for this social media stuff.

I guess that's why it works.

For those keeping score at home, it took about 9 hours for the warm fuzzies about social media to wear off. The good like this sure comes with a heavy price in persistent stupidity.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:11 PM   #18933
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

My mom's one of those people. She can immediately identify the staff in the restaurant with the least responsibility and/or grasp of the English language and she will immediately start making requests of theml.

My Dad does this. Inevitably the guy who comes to fill the water who obviously speaks zero English comes by and my Dad asks him about the specials or if it is always so cold in there.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #18934
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Not sure there is anything more treacherous than removing the tooth from under the pillow of a sleeping six year old and replacing it with cash.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:44 PM   #18935
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Not sure there is anything more treacherous than removing the tooth from under the pillow of a sleeping six year old and replacing it with cash.

It's like playing Operation with a live patient
Old 10-08-2019, 09:04 PM   #18936
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watching Hocus Pocus and it just occurred to me the 8 year old sister knows what a virgin is.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:55 PM   #18937
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
My Dad does this. Inevitably the guy who comes to fill the water who obviously speaks zero English comes by and my Dad asks him about the specials or if it is always so cold in there.

Exactly! "Can you make the soup special without butter?"
"Mom, that's a lamp!"
Old 10-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #18938
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:

Might I recommend using a cup or glass that you have at least 2 of? The switcheroo is much easier than the snatch and grab.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:41 AM   #18939
spleen1015
Coordinator

We always put the tooth & money in a ziplock bag.

How much money does the toothfairy give in your house?

I gave $20 the first time I did it and my wife took over after that and only gave $2.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:10 AM   #18940
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Between 1-3 Gold "Sacagawea" Dollars.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:28 AM   #18941
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
We always put the tooth & money in a ziplock bag.

I gave $20 the first time I did it and my wife took over after that and only gave $2.

$3. We gave more the first also.

Once we were in London and my son got pounds. That was amusing
Old 10-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #18942
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

My tooth fairy gave $10 to my kids...until dad had too much Bourbon and he left a $50 instead....

"It was a special tooth"

We'd usually snag the tooth and drop money on floor beside the bed. "It must have been under your pillow and you turned over in the middle of the night."
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #18943
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Might I recommend using a cup or glass that you have at least 2 of? The switcheroo is much easier than the snatch and grab.

would never fly with my daughter. Has to be by the book
Old 10-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #18944
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You ever open a web page as a reminder to yourself that you need to accomplish some task or call some business, then 5 days later it is still open and you haven't done it yet?
Old 10-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #18945
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
You ever open a web page as a reminder to yourself that you need to accomplish some task or call some business, then 5 days later it is still open and you haven't done it yet?

I win. I've had a tab open for over three and a half years. Still not read.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #18946
JediKooter
Coordinator

I'm now confused...so do I leave bourbon or money under my kids pillow when they lose a tooth?

Old 10-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #18947
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

More like 5 weeks here, but yes.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #18948
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

This is me with twitter bookmarks and tweets that have a article that looks like an interesting read. Just took a quick look and the oldest one is from February.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #18949
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't want to corrupt the MLB thread since this has little to do with the on field games today.

Atlanta Braves to reduce Tomahawk Chop in Game 5

Why now? Why are the comments of Ryan Helsley the tipping point for this? What am I missing?

I really am not trying to get into the right, wrong and rights of the Chop. That has been discussed ad nauseam. It just seems weird that it was cool for Game 1 and 2 but then Ryan Helsley said something and then poof... reduction of the Chop.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #18950
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Why now? Why are the comments of Ryan Helsley the tipping point for this?

That appears to have been the public motivation, as the team press release noted that they would not use the chop sound effects when that pitcher was in the game.