Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #16501
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You ARE kidding, right?

We'd have gotten murdered/benched/kicked off the team. I guess it was long ago now. No technical fouls called is rather lame as well.

(lemme rephrase, "12 year olds talk like that during games and there are no ref/coach/parental consequences?"
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #16502
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
We'd have gotten murdered/benched/kicked off the team. I guess it was long ago now. No technical fouls called is rather lame as well.

(lemme rephrase, "12 year olds talk like that during games and there are no ref/coach/parental consequences?"

Okay, that's an angle I wasn't thinking about, what could be heard vs what they said.

No, I don't think it'd commonly slide if it was clearly audible in the gym (or whatever the venue). I misread you as being shocked they said it. My bad.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-28-2017 at 12:17 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #16503
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The only Geico commercial I genuinely dislike is the flat tire drama one. It feels like that is what they are now running 75% of the time. I can't watch regular TV now without the remote right next to me in case I need the mute button for 15 seconds.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:22 AM   #16504
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Old 01-29-2017, 07:03 PM   #16505
molson
General Manager

Confession: I have no idea what the phrase, "keep fucking that chicken" means in the context of message board discussions, even though I've seen it posted here for 15 year or so. You'd think context clues would help, but no, I still have no idea.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:10 PM   #16506
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

If the best officials get to do the Super Bowl, does that mean the worst are forced to do the Pro Bowl?

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 01-29-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:38 PM   #16507
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Confession: I have no idea what the phrase, "keep fucking that chicken" means in the context of message board discussions, even though I've seen it posted here for 15 year or so. You'd think context clues would help, but no, I still have no idea.

You know the origin of the phrase, right?

NYC anchor has brain freeze, was trying to spin a phrase after a corny joke, what popped out was "keep fucking that chicken". It was a nearly inexlicable gaffe from a guy that has over two dozen local Emmys, has been a mainstay in the market since the late 70s/early 80s. But ... yeah, he said it on air.
(Google Ernie Anastos)

In context of a message board, presumably it would be used when someone says something so utterly absurd as to defy all logic.

edit to add: It's kind of akin to "What's the frequency Kenneth" from Dan Rather, if you remember that.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-29-2017 at 09:40 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:12 AM   #16508
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

My understanding is it means to keep rolling out the same stance/story, either in the same thread against numerous responses or over time in several discussions.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #16509
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
My understanding is it means to keep rolling out the same stance/story, either in the same thread against numerous responses or over time in several discussions.

So it actually doesn't relate to the original usage of the phrase?

Well

Then I'm gonna go climb in the boat with Molson about it being used in the message board context as well.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #16510
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

That's how I read it, too, but with a sense of the position repeatedly taken being clearly wrong and borderline absurd.

Like if I keep arguing that, say, Matt Stafford is a better QB than Aaron Rogers.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #16511
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
So for anybody that cares , team lost 24-9. We held 36 to 6 points and we gave up no fast break points. To their credit, they were able to run their offense and didn't make any unforced errors which I had anticipated that they would do out of frustration.

I will be writing a letter to their school because during the course of the game, their players repeatedly told our guys to Fuck off, that we were fucking losers etc. Even said this kind of stuff during the handshake after the game. And they won by fifteen! Clearly, we frustrated them like no other team had and I told our guys that them insulting us was actually a compliment . It showed we gave them their toughest game.

Final note: On their final inbounds play of the game, with 8 seconds left, I yelled to our guys to stick tight to their man because they were still going to try to score. The ref, bless his heart and I think he could see it too, called an inbounds violation on the passer for stepping his foot over the line. This Gave us the ball and since there is no full court press. I instructed our guard not to cross half court because I knew he would be mugged if he did.

We are the only team that played them that didn't have the mercy rule enforced. Nothing like taking pride in a fifteen point loss. The 76ers used to feel the same way . Trust the process!

I was interested, so thanks for the update.

I wish I could say I was surprised at that kind of behavior... but I think most that have seen any youth sports could agree that they are not surprised. Nice job though.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #16512
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Matt Stafford is a better QB than Aaron Rogers.

Keep on fucking that chicken.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #16513
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So it actually doesn't relate to the original usage of the phrase?

Well

Then I'm gonna go climb in the boat with Molson about it being used in the message board context as well.

To be fair, I have never heard exactly what it means either. I surmised this meaning only from its usage. I had no idea of its origins. So I could entirely be wrong on this one.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #16514
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's how I read it, too, but with a sense of the position repeatedly taken being clearly wrong and borderline absurd.

Like if I keep arguing that, say, Matt Stafford is a better QB than Aaron Rogers.

Yup, exactly.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:51 AM   #16515
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Apparently "keep plucking that chicken" was a common expression at some point?
Old 01-31-2017, 09:01 AM   #16516
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Apparently "keep plucking that chicken" was a common expression at some point?

With the original (in)famous on-air gaffe, it was preceded by some line to the weatherman like "it takes a tough man to make a tender forecast", which was a riff on a Perdue chicken ad campaign.

I always assumed the bizarro that followed only involved a chicken because of that.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #16517
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

20 year high school reunion this year. Good lord. Not that I have any desire to go, but jeez, 20 fucking years?

Invite showed up through Facebook, so I've gotten a couple friend requests from old classmates....who happened to be people who were pretty much assholes to me and/or I barely spoke to in 4 years there. I didn't like you then, I sure as hell have no desire to speak with you now.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #16518
RainMaker
General Manager

Mine will be up in a few years. I didn't mind high school but I've had zero ambition to go to a reunion or contact people from back in the day.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #16519
Suicane75
Coordinator

Everyone from my graduating class is dead. Except for me. I didn't graduate.

I just realized today that it's not flies I hate, as much as the SOUND of flies. Chills down my fucking spine.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:36 AM   #16520
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
20 year high school reunion this year. Good lord. Not that I have any desire to go, but jeez, 20 fucking years?

Invite showed up through Facebook, so I've gotten a couple friend requests from old classmates....who happened to be people who were pretty much assholes to me and/or I barely spoke to in 4 years there. I didn't like you then, I sure as hell have no desire to speak with you now.

But....you've all changed so much! Clearly you can be friends now and will be besties after the reunion...../sigh

I had my 20 year reunion a few years ago. Quick story here:
This girl had a crush on me early high school and I liked another girl at that same time. The girl that like me asked me out, I declined. I asked the other girl out, she declined. Well the girl that liked me then hated me from that day forward. Fast forward to Senior year and we are all in the pool for gym class, playing something and I accidentally brushed up against her huge buoy. She hated me even more and swore I did it on purpose. Whatever.

Fast forward 20 years later. Out of our 73 kids in my class, I think 28 arrived to the reunion. She was there. Walked right by me like I wasn't even there and had her nose so high in the air she could have drowned. Stuck up as ever. Apparently she was still pissed over a snub and an accidental buoy touch in the pool.

People don't change. The times do. Anyone I wanted to keep in contact with from school, I still do to this day. It was a good to see some people though, especially those who looked like shit now and thought they were the shit back then, and chuckle just a bit inside. Also, good to just see some others and say hi, but not try and be friends after the fact.

I probably will not go to another one though.

Last edited by hollmt : 02-01-2017 at 09:38 AM.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #16521
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I feel like social media has really had a big effect on reunions. Maybe 20 years ago you wouldn't even know what happened with 95% of your classmates. Now I know how many kids they have, where they live, their political views...
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #16522
Kodos
Resident Alien

I wouldn't even know what to talk about with people that I haven't seen since fall of '87. (I moved to Ohio during the fall of my junior year. Yeah, that kind of sucked.)
Old 02-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #16523
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Had to think about it. Without social media, it would take the number of people from high school I somewhat keep in touch with from 4 to 1. And the 1 didn't graduate, nor was he in my class.

I think we had about 300-400 in my graduating class. I talk via FB to two of them. That's it. I'm pretty sure I didn't like high school.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #16524
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I wouldn't even know what to talk about with people that I haven't seen since fall of '87. (I moved to Ohio during the fall of my junior year. Yeah, that kind of sucked.)

This is funny because, although I did say hi or something casual to most everyone at the reunion (and I am NOT the most outgoing person at all with strangers and these people WERE strangers after 20 years even though I grew up with a lot of them from 5th grade to Graduation), after the initial pleasantries, we all formed back into our cliques we had in school. I sat with my friends, others sat with theirs and we all dove into the comfortable waters we were used to. So basically for me, it ended up being a get together with friends in town, with some people we knew from school also being around.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #16525
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Had to think about it. Without social media, it would take the number of people from high school I somewhat keep in touch with from 4 to 1. And the 1 didn't graduate, nor was he in my class.

I think we had about 300-400 in my graduating class. I talk via FB to two of them. That's it. I'm pretty sure I didn't like high school.

I keep in touch with 3 friends from h.s. on a daily/weekly basis easily to this day. Since 5th grade we have all been friends.
I don't have Facebook, because I am a man and don't do other forms of social media.
I liked h.s. I mean, I got out of the house and away from my parents, got to see my friends on a daily basis, was in the middle of the pack popularity wise, so wasnt 'stuck up' or 'outcast', played sports and was active.

The only thing I didn't like about h.s. was the day I thought it was cool to wear a white silk shirt....
Old 02-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #16526
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I went to mine in November and had a great time. And everybody I say that to is surprised. I don't keep in touch with a single person from high school, aside from maybe 10-15 facebook friends I don't actively interact with.

I never had any animosity towards any of them. And I like myself much more at 38 than I did at 18. So it was fun to be around those people as a 38 year old who is much better at holding conversations, and who is much more confident.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:57 PM   #16527
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

When you are deciding whether to build a new document from scratch or whether to try and convert a go-by document and "just fix the formatting," you should always, always just build the document if you want to actually save yourself time and trouble.

Forgot that lesson today. Ugh.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #16528
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I went to mine in November and had a great time. And everybody I say that to is surprised. I don't keep in touch with a single person from high school, aside from maybe 10-15 facebook friends I don't actively interact with.

I never had any animosity towards any of them. And I like myself much more at 38 than I did at 18. So it was fun to be around those people as a 38 year old who is much better at holding conversations, and who is much more confident.

I'm more in this camp with my own reunion experience ... except mine was a 30 year reunion, and a few other differences.

My high school years were largely hell, I spent a LOT of years with some very deep seated grudges/issues toward (or with) a lot of people. I'd worked through some of that but the reunion really was a way to see whether I was just /saying I'd gotten past it or whether I really had.

My reunion turned out quite cool, more time was spent with a former arch-rival than with anyone else, not a clique in sight really and those who were the warmest toward me included some of those who didn't have the time of day for me once upon a time.

Everybody's mileage may vary, but that was my own experience with it fwiw.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #16529
thesloppy
Pro Starter

My high school class had a 5th and 10th year reunion and then nobody's bothered to put one together in the 15+ years since then. That's pretty much in-line with the collective effort that class put into schooling, so I'm not too surprised or affected.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #16530
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Had a surreal moment today, I have been working on a project at work to replace some material, but we had to perform a trial first. The paperwork for said trial has taken 11 months to work through. The person who started the inquiry at the facility has taken a leave of absence and died from the cancer he took the leave for over the 11 months I have been trying to cut through all the red tape.

It just threw me for a loop when I found out he had died recently.

Last edited by Warhammer : 02-02-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #16531
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

My class did the 10 year, but did it in year 11 as we were always that lazy/disorganized, and nothing since then.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #16532
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When you are deciding whether to build a new document from scratch or whether to try and convert a go-by document and "just fix the formatting," you should always, always just build the document if you want to actually save yourself time and trouble.

Forgot that lesson today. Ugh.

I always used to run into this when I worked my office job. So true.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #16533
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So I'm at McDonalds getting my free Big Mac from yesterday's Kings win and this guy comes in to speak to the manager. As a restaurant manager myself, I watched this with interest.

It appears that the customer received an incorrect order in the drive thru but had returned home before discovering the error. They called the store and someone told them they could come back to have the order fixed. Looks like the customer's wife was the one who called and they didn't speak to this manager but a coworker.

So the customer, a middle aged dad type, comes in to get this fixed order. The manager asked him for the food given to him in error or the receipt. The guy didn't have either. So the manager refused to give him a fixed order. Needless to say, the customer got very angry, started threatening to call corporate, to call the franchise owner, etc.

The manager was direct and not particularly conciliatory, but he never raised his voice and he gave the guy the store email to reach the general manager and store owner. The guy was kinda losing it. I understood why he was upset but I have no sympathy for a guy who goes to a business without a proof of purchase or who yells at business employees.

Funniest thing was at the end, I guess the customer expected to get a phone number he could call to complain and not just the email. When the manager told him he could find that online, the customer responded that the manager should have that here and available. And the manager responded, "This isn't Jack in the Box, this is McDonalds."

Thought that was hilarious, although the customer was correct there, that info should have been available and given to him directly.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #16534
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Thumbs down

Maybe a first but.......

Random thoughts on random thoughts that don't belong here:

I don't always click on this thread, but when I do its not when JIMG just posted.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:21 AM   #16535
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
My class did the 10 year, but did it in year 11 as we were always that lazy/disorganized, and nothing since then.

Ha, I thought only my class was lazy and disorganized enough to pull the 11 year reunion. This year is our 20th, and i doubt anything will happen.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #16536
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Maybe a first but.......

Random thoughts on random thoughts that don't belong here:

I don't always click on this thread, but when I do its not when JIMG just posted.

{scratches head}

Did I post some non-random thought recently or something?

I mean, cool to hate me / my posts or whatever, but this seems specific.
And confusing.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #16537
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, that kind of made me say "Huh?".
Old 02-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #16538
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
So I'm at McDonalds getting my free Big Mac from yesterday's Kings win and this guy comes in to speak to the manager. As a restaurant manager myself, I watched this with interest.

It appears that the customer received an incorrect order in the drive thru but had returned home before discovering the error. They called the store and someone told them they could come back to have the order fixed. Looks like the customer's wife was the one who called and they didn't speak to this manager but a coworker.

So the customer, a middle aged dad type, comes in to get this fixed order. The manager asked him for the food given to him in error or the receipt. The guy didn't have either. So the manager refused to give him a fixed order. Needless to say, the customer got very angry, started threatening to call corporate, to call the franchise owner, etc.

The manager was direct and not particularly conciliatory, but he never raised his voice and he gave the guy the store email to reach the general manager and store owner. The guy was kinda losing it. I understood why he was upset but I have no sympathy for a guy who goes to a business without a proof of purchase or who yells at business employees.

Funniest thing was at the end, I guess the customer expected to get a phone number he could call to complain and not just the email. When the manager told him he could find that online, the customer responded that the manager should have that here and available. And the manager responded, "This isn't Jack in the Box, this is McDonalds."

Thought that was hilarious, although the customer was correct there, that info should have been available and given to him directly.

One thing I've done the last few years is whenever someone starts berating a retail worker I will say something back. Tired of people acting like complete assholes to people just because they know the employee can't talk back.

At the grocery store last weekend and some guy is getting some fried chicken or something at the pre-made meal counter. The lady is having some trouble grabbing the chicken and it's taking a little longer than expected. The guy shoots out an assholish "is this your first day??". I just said "don't be a cunt" to the guy. I tell you the reaction from people when you say something like that is complete astonishment. The guy got his chicken and scurried along.

I wish more people would do that.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #16539
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
One thing I've done the last few years is whenever someone starts berating a retail worker I will say something back. Tired of people acting like complete assholes to people just because they know the employee can't talk back.

At the grocery store last weekend and some guy is getting some fried chicken or something at the pre-made meal counter. The lady is having some trouble grabbing the chicken and it's taking a little longer than expected. The guy shoots out an assholish "is this your first day??". I just said "don't be a cunt" to the guy. I tell you the reaction from people when you say something like that is complete astonishment. The guy got his chicken and scurried along.

I wish more people would do that.

This honestly isn't directed at you, but more the statement.
While I often want to say something, and I think lots of people deep down do want to say something because it is the right thing to do....you don't know the mentality of the asshat you are saying something to.
It is all great to stand up for that employee, until that asshat possibly turns on you and does something stupid.

But on a side note, good for you for saying something
Old 02-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #16540
AlexB
Pro Starter

That moment when you both realise "I haven't seen you since Carol's wedding' isn't right, and you were actually taking about their own wedding... awkward.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #16541
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollmt View Post
This honestly isn't directed at you, but more the statement.
While I often want to say something, and I think lots of people deep down do want to say something because it is the right thing to do....you don't know the mentality of the asshat you are saying something to.
It is all great to stand up for that employee, until that asshat possibly turns on you and does something stupid.

But on a side note, good for you for saying something

Yeah you gotta watch out for nutjobs with guns these days. But people need to get checked more often when they are being cunts.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #16542
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
One thing I've done the last few years is whenever someone starts berating a retail worker I will say something back.

Along the line of SteveW's observation, I'd advise against making a habit of your ... intervention.

Or at the very least, be selective in your application of it. Otherwise, you're exhibiting a pretty strong deathwish.

(and I'm not trying to be cute/smartass/threatening/funny or anything other than just really honest)
Old 02-04-2017, 01:20 PM   #16543
Suicane75
Coordinator

I just layed a giant amount on a prop bet that will assuredly win because one of the sides is not even playing. I'm apprehensive that they'll honor the bet, but this the same book that was taking game action on a CFL game this year well into the 3rd quarter. So who knows.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:35 PM   #16544
JPhillips
General Manager

FUCK YEAH!
Old 02-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #16545
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Been a very long time since work literally drove me to drink.

God bless you Mr. Seagram, whoever you are/were.

The f.u. lamp is nearly as lit as I am.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:09 PM   #16546
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Been a very long time since work literally drove me to drink.

God bless you Mr. Seagram, whoever you are/were.

The f.u. lamp is nearly as lit as I am.

We are having the same day/night.
I'm shaking Mr. Daniel's hand...and he is quite the gentleman.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #16547
Suicane75
Coordinator

I had my first ever Stromboli on Sunday. How have I never discovered this? It's like 3 slices of pizza stuffed into a flaky hot pocket. My lord.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:08 PM   #16548
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, it's weird. Strombolis seemed pretty popular in Philly, but down here I'll see calzones on menus but seldom strombolis.

(I suppose it was created just outside Philly, but you'd think it would have spread by now.)
Old 02-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #16549
Suicane75
Coordinator

I know I'm totally losing my Jersey cred here, but what is the difference between the two? I've always just figured it's pizza a different way, so meh, and never tried either. But it's friggin amazeballs.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:47 PM   #16550
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Stromboli is more log shaped and a calzone is pizza folded in half basically.