Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #1251
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think a serial killer game would be fun, either from a being the police perspective or from being the killer and trying to get away with it.
Would be controversial as hell and I just can't fathom anyone being able to get that on to store shelves here. Have to admit it in a morbid way, it would be a blast playing from the killers perspective. Scouting your victims, creating a signature, and trying to cover your tracks. Could even mix an element of playing as the police officer into it. Could download other users crimes and see if you can figure it out.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #1252
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think a serial killer game would be fun, either from a being the police perspective or from being the killer and trying to get away with it.

I said this probably about 6 months ago to my brothers. It's only a matter of time before someone has the guts to make a game where you are the serial killer. Sick and twisted but people would no doubt buy it.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #1253
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I said this probably about 6 months ago to my brothers. It's only a matter of time before someone has the guts to make a game where you are the serial killer. Sick and twisted but people would no doubt buy it.

I could see the first shot at this being something like a Dexter-type game where the serial killer is a vigilante which leaves it morally ambiguous rather than it be a person purely stalking innocent people.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #1254
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Final Fantasy XIV beta signups are now available if anyone wants to give it a spin.......

FFXIV Online Beta Signup

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-18-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #1255
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

Those pansy GTA games are somewhat close, but not quite there yet.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #1256
SportsDino
College Prospect

I've got a gameplay design for a detective game which has AI serial killers. The problem is, people would be expecting an exciting shoot out every couple of minutes (ala GTA) but to really make an intellectually mysterious detective game it actually is about investigation and putting clues together. I don't think the market would be very big for it.

I'm not talking about railroad detective games either, where you are basically point and clicked through a planned out series of gameplay elements with some sort of puzzle/mini-game design until you reach the end of the plot. I was thinking of inverted GTA open world, except the missions themselves are procedurally generated, and the artificial intelligence is on a 'mission' and you as the detective need to detect and defeat it under the condition of ambiguous information.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #1257
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Need an assist from some 360 parents/gamers. Got an 8-9 year old boy that just got a 360. He's had a PS2 before now, so all 360 games would be new for him. Any suggestions on some games in the library that I could pick up that would be good for him? I looked through all my multiplatform games in my library and quickly realized that all the games I think are good are mostly rated Mature. So I'm not exactly sure what's available for the kids on 360. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #1258
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Need an assist from some 360 parents/gamers. Got an 8-9 year old boy that just got a 360. He's had a PS2 before now, so all 360 games would be new for him. Any suggestions on some games in the library that I could pick up that would be good for him? I looked through all my multiplatform games in my library and quickly realized that all the games I think are good are mostly rated Mature. So I'm not exactly sure what's available for the kids on 360. Thanks in advance.

Most of the games in my library are rated M as well, but I enjoyed the Lego Star Wars games. There's also the Indiana Jones and Batman titles, and those seem to be pretty kid-friendly.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #1259
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Need an assist from some 360 parents/gamers.

Have you tried any of the Lego games?

edit : What Dataking said.

I think most of the E10+ (or whatever it is) games are Lego/Sports/Disney movie type games. I've never played any of the movie game, but I can't imagine they are the greatest although, sure you could find them pretty cheaply.

What does he play on the PS2?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 12-29-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #1260
Ramzavail
College Starter

hxxp://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/familycentral.htm

I'd start here.

Also, Peggle, that game rocks, he might like that.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #1261
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Have you tried any of the Lego games?

edit : What Dataking said.

I think most of the E10+ (or whatever it is) games are Lego/Sports/Disney movie type games. I've never played any of the movie game, but I can't imagine they are the greatest although, sure you could find them pretty cheaply.

What does he play on the PS2?

I know he plays some 'Teen' games as well. Just wanted something other than Mature.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #1262
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I know he plays some 'Teen' games as well. Just wanted something other than Mature.

Most of mine are M too, but Ghostbusters was pretty tame and is rated T. (only non-M, non-sports, non-rock band type game I've bought recently that I can comment on)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 12-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #1263
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Most of mine are M too, but Ghostbusters was pretty tame and is rated T. (only non-M, non-sports, non-rock band type game I've bought recently that I can comment on)

Yeah, that's a good one. Forgot about that.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #1264
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Might be a good opportunity to introduce him to games like Ticket To Ride and Carcassone.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #1265
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Mini Ninjas is great!
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #1266
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, my 11 y/o suggested Civ Rev as an "age appropriate" title if he's got the patience for it.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-29-2009 at 12:11 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #1267
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Walkthrough video of ModNation Racers with the developer. Really looking forward to this game. Beta feedback has been outstanding.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/...er-mat-thomas/
Old 12-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #1268
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
FWIW, my 11 y/o suggested Civ Rev as an "age appropriate" title if he's got the patience for it.
Not sure what your thoughts on a game like that are, but I actually think it's really good for kids. Gets the mind going as well as any math class.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #1269
MrDNA
High School Varsity

I downloaded the Dante's Inferno demo. Ugh. The scuttlebutt about it being a God of War clone were dead on. It felt like a cheap rip-off of Kronos. I love the idea of converting literature to a game, but this is going to stop some other people from trying it, methinks.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #1270
MJ4H
Coordinator

I know it's 2010 now, but hey.

EA Sports to Bring new NBA Jam Exclusively to Wii January 4, 2010

Filed under: News — hattrick @ 10:16 pm

According to sources at ESPN, EA Sports has acquired the rights to NBA Jam, and will be bringing a new version exclusively to the Wii. Here is what ESPN writer Jon Robinson has to say:
“Sources confirmed to ESPN that the new title is actually one of the all-time classics coming back to consoles as EA Sports has acquired the rights from the NBA to deliver an updated version of “NBA Jam” that will ship to retail exclusively for the Wii.”
I guess we will find out more when EA Sports makes the official announcement at the end of the month.
For the full article from Mr. Robinson, click here.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #1271
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I'm interested. And hopefully better than Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #1272
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Please, please, please make this a good game EA. I want to dunk from the foul line with the high flying twosome of Howard and Carter.

Like sterlingice said, having another failed update of a classic arcade sports game from my youth would be rough. Damn TSB:K was a letdown. Whoever developed that game made some unbelievably poor decisions.

Last edited by Big Fo : 01-04-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #1273
SackAttack
Head Coach

The problem with NBA Jam "exclusively on Wii" is that it means they're going to try to jam poorly conceived motion controls onto it.

And that will fail.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #1274
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Not sure what your thoughts on a game like that are, but I actually think it's really good for kids. Gets the mind going as well as any math class.

I'm good with it, although frankly most of the things my son plays I can find some value in.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #1275
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is DJ Hero a big time bust? Cause every store I go into seems to have like a thousand copies of it lying around.

Last edited by stevew : 01-05-2010 at 01:20 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:21 AM   #1276
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
The problem with NBA Jam "exclusively on Wii" is that it means they're going to try to jam poorly conceived motion controls onto it.

And that will fail.

Yep, agreed.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #1277
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Is DJ Hero a big time bust? Cause every store I go into seems to have like a thousand copies of it lying around.

Penny Arcade had a comment on Activision's Q4 offerings that I think hits the mark pretty squarely.

Instead of creating a good game and then setting the price, they started with the price - "$120!" - and then tried to work backwards from there. With DJ Hero, they run into the additional obstacle of creating a "Hero" game that is not intuitively accessible. Just about anybody can pick up a pair of drumsticks, a plastic guitar, or, hell, a microphone, and figure out in pretty short order which end is up.

A turntable is another matter. If you do not already have an interest in being a DJ, you are probably either going to ignore the game entirely, or fiddle with it for five minutes and lose interest. And if you paid $120, you're going to be pissed enough that the franchise will have negative cachet with you from then on.

They're going to have to take a bath on DJ Hero in order to build any kind of market share for the DJ extension of the brand going forward, and they probably should have planned for that bath in the first place. It isn't as if the core Hero brand, Call of Duty franchise, and World of Warcraft franchise aren't making them buckets of bank in the first place.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:50 AM   #1278
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

And that will fail.

+2. This is going to end BADLY.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #1279
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

And that will fail.

That's possible. I'm hoping for multiple control schemes, one using the classic controller. It's also possible to have good motion controls, EA's Wii games have had some failures and successes in that regard.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:29 AM   #1280
spleen1015
Coordinator

Any motion control scheme they have won't be the only control scheme. They will make sure you can play it with a regular controller.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:30 AM   #1281
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Funny story. Father in law is a general practice doctor. An 82 year old lady who is a family friend came with chest pain over the weekend. When they enquired about what she did over the weekend, she mentioned that her great grandson had received a Wii over the holidays and she played Wii bowling for THREE HOURS straight on Saturday. Thankfully, the pain was nothing more than a chest muscle strain and a recommendation to never play Wii Bowling more than one game at a time without taking a break.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-05-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #1282
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

And that will fail.

There's a good chance they'll badly screw it up because, hell, they're EA. Easily my first thought on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
That's possible. I'm hoping for multiple control schemes, one using the classic controller. It's also possible to have good motion controls, EA's Wii games have had some failures and successes in that regard.

Tiger Woods for the Wii is supposed to be the best ever on any system because they actually got the controls right. There's a slim but non-zero chance they could get this to work. But it's slim.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #1283
BigDPW
College Prospect

Think it is time to rename the thread to 2010 or should we simply start a new one?

Last edited by BigDPW : 01-05-2010 at 03:48 PM.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #1284
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
Think it is time to rename the thread to 2010 or should we simple start a new one?

This thread is sooooooo last year.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #1285
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
Think it is time to rename the thread to 2010 or should we simple start a new one?

Wish granted: The 2010 Video Games Thread.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-05-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #1286
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Tiger Woods for the Wii is supposed to be the best ever on any system because they actually got the controls right. There's a slim but non-zero chance they could get this to work. But it's slim.

SI

Both Grand Slam Tennis and Tiger Woods 10 (which used Wii Motion Plus) were good, Tiger 10 was much better than the previous Wii golf games.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #1287
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:

Too be honest I was mainly interested to see who would be the first to quickly post a new thread. You won Kodos!

I was kind of surprised that it took 5 days to do so since this thread stays so active on here.

Happy New Year!
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #1288
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Funny story. Father in law is a general practice doctor. An 82 year old lady who is a family friend came with chest pain over the weekend. When they enquired about what she did over the weekend, she mentioned that her great grandson had received a Wii over the holidays and she played Wii bowling for THREE HOURS straight on Saturday. Thankfully, the pain was nothing more than a chest muscle strain and a recommendation to never play Wii Bowling more than one game at a time without taking a break.
I felt like this once, but it was four hours straight, and it was real bowling. I consider that my highlight for 2009.