Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2008, 10:11 PM   #401
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just don't play like an idiot, and you're good to go.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #402
Galaxy
Coordinator

I can't stand idiot players (on all games). Just curious, say your late in the game and have a nice lead, do you sit on it? Do you try to score?

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-08-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #403
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I can't stand idiot players (on all games). Just curious, say your late in the game and have a nice lead, do you sit on it? Do you try to score?

Would depend on my opponent. If my opponent plays a decent game I'd be running a lot of running plays. If he has been going for it on 4th downs all game, then I'd be running 5 WR sets.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #404
Kodos
Resident Alien

Same for me. If they weren't an idiot, I am running the clock and sending it up the gut. If they were an idiot, I am trying to destroy them.

Lost to #6 WVU 24-12 with IU. Not too shabby. After seeming to run the clock down, the idiot had to lob one into the endzone at the end to dispel the illusion that he was okay. Luckily, my defender knocked it down.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:27 AM   #405
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Is there anyone online who doesn't select the fastest QB to run playaction, drop back 30 yards, and wait for someone to get open? Everyone I play against who is not from FOFC does this. Tonight, this dude was running up the score and going no huddle when he was way up. Dude, I'm IU, and you're Virginia Tech. Don't think you're good or something. My team just doesn't have the personnel to match up.
I've been there before. But I blame it less on the players and more on the developers who have made a game that allows it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:51 AM   #406
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This is the one issue I've always struggled with in NCAA/Madden. Is it cheap to run the clock down to 2 seconds every play for the last quarter if you have a 2 TD lead? With the shortened clocks, I sort of think it is, so I generally don't just sit on a lead and try to run clock every play, but I do run it more and try to keep the clock moving. However, I can see how some might think I was trying to run up the score.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-09-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #407
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't think it's bad to do that. Running no-huddle and throwing bombs with a large late-game lead is cheesy. I see no problem with going conservative if you have a couple-score lead in the 4th. I tend to go to a just move-the-chains offense at that point, where I'm not trying to pick up huge chunks of real estate each play.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #408
Logan
Head Coach

When my buddies and I play, we go for it on 4th down, try to run up the score, etc. Even if it's a tight game and it's late, we won't run down the clock. We basically view it as cheap even though it's just the best way to win. When I'm in my own dynasties, it's some kind of combination (i.e. tight game I'll be conservative, but if I'm winning late, yeah I'll give my RB another TD).

I'm guessing when we start our online dynasty here, I'll play as close to "realistic" as possible, as if my job is always on the line.

Last edited by Logan : 07-09-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #409
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I've been there before. But I blame it less on the players and more on the developers who have made a game that allows it.

Absolutely right. Dropping back 20 yards every play should not be an effective strategy. With evenly matched teams, I can generally make someone pay for that strategy (the other day I beat ASU 70-14 because they kept using that strategy even after 5 interceptions). When playing a really good team with IU, I have trouble getting enough turnovers to discourage the practice.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:29 AM   #410
Kodos
Resident Alien

In Madden, I think running down the playclock is a bigger issue than in NCAA. I usually snap the ball with 10-15 seconds left in NCAA, but late in a game I'll take it under 10 seconds.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-09-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #411
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
When my buddies and I play, we go for it on 4th down, try to run up the score, etc. Even if it's a tight game and it's late, we won't run down the clock. We basically view it as cheap even though it's just the best way to win. When I'm in my own dynasties, it's some kind of combination (i.e. tight game I'll be conservative, but if I'm winning late, yeah I'll give my RB another TD).

I'm guessing when we start our online dynasty here, I'll play as close to "realistic" as possible, as if my job is always on the line.

I just try to play a game that closely resembles what you see on weekends. If the win is in hand, I don't try to run up the score or humiliate the other guy. Unless they are a cheeseball, in which case I usually feel compelled to run it up on them. But I have no problem laying off the throttle late if the game has already been decided for a guy who runs a variety of plays and plays sim-style. Sim-style guys are hard to find online, that's for sure.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #412
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
This is the one issue I've always struggled with in NCAA/Madden. Is it cheap to run the clock down to 2 seconds every play for the last quarter if you have a 2 TD lead? With the shortened clocks, I sort of think it is, so I generally don't just sit on a lead and try to run clock every play, but I do run it more and try to keep the clock moving. However, I can see how some might think I was trying to run up the score.

I have yet to play online in NCAA (I passed on last year's game). I was wondering what the proper etiquette would be for our online leagues.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #413
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I just try to play a game that closely resembles what you see on weekends. If the win is in hand, I don't try to run up the score or humiliate the other guy. Unless they are a cheeseball, in which case I usually feel compelled to run it up on them. But I have no problem laying off the throttle late if the game has already been decided for a guy who runs a variety of plays and plays sim-style. Sim-style guys are hard to find online, that's for sure.

Unless your Steve Spurrier.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #414
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, well Spurrier is an asshat.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #415
KWhit
Coordinator

I've never played a game online. I don't even know how to do it yet.

So this league thing should be interesting.

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:52 AM   #416
Kodos
Resident Alien

Note to self: schedule KWhit early and often.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #417
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

lol!

As far as etiquette online, I think we should just have a general rule of "everything in moderation".

I've been in a few PC online Madden leagues, and studied many others. The ones that have a lot of bickering are the ones who have 1,000 rules all set in stone, to the point where in every game you could call out your opponnent on something if you wanted to. The most successful and longest lasting one I have ever been in had only one rule, and that was "play realistically...everything should be done in moderation". They played by the honor system. Nobody ever went for it on every 4th down, nobody ran around like an idiot on every play, and it was very rare to see anybody whining all the time on the message boards.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #418
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sounds like a good guideline to me.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #419
Galaxy
Coordinator

Good rule. I think that FOFC leagues (at least the NOFL) has pretty honorable members. By knowing each other, I'll give a lot more thought to playing a "realistic" game. I think the key is to have fun. While we all want to win, I much rather lose at in a good, realistic game of football than be a cheesy player. That doesn't mean you couldn't go with four or five receiver sets all the time (since it would be your offense) or a hurry-up offense in the third quarter to take advantage of what the defense has out on the field.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #420
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Words truly can't express how glad I am to be in this league...seriously. What I'm most excited about is having HA tell me how my ass tastes.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #421
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I haven't played NCAA football in nearly 5 years. Last one I played sucked monkey balz. Is it improved now or just Madden in college uniforms?

I don't own a gaming console anymore either. I wish they would make this game for the PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #422
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Words truly can't express how glad I am to be in this league...seriously. What I'm most excited about is having HA tell me how my ass tastes.

Depending upon how long HA is in the penalty box, he might not even be able to participate in the league. He is going to have to find an alternate way to communicate with me (my email is listed in my profile), otherwise, I could see scheduling issues as well as his lack of ability to vote in future polls forcing his exit from the league.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #423
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I had no idea he was in the penalty box. Should I ask what happened...linky linky?

There's always the chance of just communicating via Xbox Live. His handle is posted in the subforum.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #424
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I haven't played NCAA football in nearly 5 years. Last one I played sucked monkey balz. Is it improved now or just Madden in college uniforms?

I don't own a gaming console anymore either. I wish they would make this game for the PC.

I only have a PS2 and Wii, so I'm "missing out" on the great graphics and other advances of the PS3/360 versions, but IMO, the college game is much, much better than Madden. I had Madden for the Wii last year - first time I've ever bought Madden - and it just wasn't fun. OTOH, I still regularly played NCAA 07 on PS2 even through last year's college football season. Very addictive. I will probably break it out again this year.

In fact, I completely forgot about NCAA 09 for the Wii and haven't been following this thread very closely - anyone know if it is going to suck, or might be worth getting?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #425
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Depending upon how long HA is in the penalty box, he might not even be able to participate in the league. He is going to have to find an alternate way to communicate with me (my email is listed in my profile), otherwise, I could see scheduling issues as well as his lack of ability to vote in future polls forcing his exit from the league.

Yeah come on EF, don't leave us hanging.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #426
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Some things are better left unsaid.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #427
Galaxy
Coordinator

Wow....HA is in the box? I missed that.

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-09-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #428
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I only have a PS2 and Wii, so I'm "missing out" on the great graphics and other advances of the PS3/360 versions, but IMO, the college game is much, much better than Madden. I had Madden for the Wii last year - first time I've ever bought Madden - and it just wasn't fun. OTOH, I still regularly played NCAA 07 on PS2 even through last year's college football season. Very addictive. I will probably break it out again this year.

In fact, I completely forgot about NCAA 09 for the Wii and haven't been following this thread very closely - anyone know if it is going to suck, or might be worth getting?

Madden has sucked for about 8 years now. I loved the NCAA games in the late 90's and early 00's, but the last one I played was in 2004 I believe and it smelled like trout.

Quote:
Old 07-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #429
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Wow....HA is in the box? I missed that.

He was a bit vulgar in the Civ for consoles thread. It wasn't too pleasant.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #430
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

HA was vulgar? I'm sorry but that sounds a bit far fetched.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #431
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
HA was vulgar? I'm sorry but that sounds a bit far fetched.

You'll just have to take my word for it.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #432
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Madden has sucked for about 8 years now. I loved the NCAA games in the late 90's and early 00's, but the last one I played was in 2004 I believe and it smelled like trout.

Madden 2006 on the PS2 was pretty enjoyable. Next gen has sucked so far.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #433
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
You'll just have to take my word for it.

Now I see (and five months late?). I'm not sure I could listen to that for a whole season (s) and if he beats you, I can't imagine it.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #434
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

When you're in the penalty box, are you still able to broswe the forums but just not post?
Old 07-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #435
Kodos
Resident Alien

Here is my guarantee: Hell Atlantic will never beat me in NCAA or Madden football.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #436
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
He was a bit vulgar in the Civ for consoles thread. It wasn't too pleasant.

Quote:
When you're in the penalty box, are you still able to broswe the forums but just not post?

Yes, the post is still there for anyone who wants to view it.

Yes, I'm 99.9% certain he can still browse the forum. I'm not looking to kick anyone out without cause, but if he can't communicate on here by the time we are ready to get the league rolling (10-14 days is my best estimate) because of his own doing, he needs to find an alternate way to communicate with me and the league. Otherwise, I'd rather replace him with someone who is actually able to fully participate. If anyone in the league has any objections to that, please feel free to PM me.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #437
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes, I'm 99.9% certain he can still browse the forum. I'm not looking to kick anyone out without cause, but if he can't communicate on here by the time we are ready to get the league rolling (10-14 days is my best estimate) because of his own doing, he needs to find an alternate way to communicate with me and the league. Otherwise, I'd rather replace him with someone who is actually able to fully participate. If anyone in the league has any objections to that, please feel free to PM me.

Although I don't want him to be out of the league just for sheer entertainment and engagement purposes, fair is fair so I don't see why that would be a problem. If he does come back, I'd just like to state on record that of everybody in the NOFL I would vote him most likely to wear womens underwear.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #438
Kodos
Resident Alien

But how would that taste?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #439
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Madden 2006 on the PS2 was pretty enjoyable. Next gen has sucked so far.

The last time I played Madden on a console was 2005. It sucked. The last Madden I played at all was on the PC in 2007, and it also sucked. I have not played the 2006 version thus cannot comment.

I still wish EA would develop NCAA for the PC though.

Quote:
Old 07-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #440
Kodos
Resident Alien

If you didn't like 2005, you likely wouldn't like 2006 either.

I can't imagine they would make NCAA for the PC, since they've stopped making Madden for it.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #441
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

There have been a few vague comments to suggest that Madden for the PC will return next year. However, I doubt NCAA will ever appear on the PC.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #442
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Here is my guarantee: Hell Atlantic will never beat me in NCAA or Madden football.

I thought you said you suck.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #443
Kodos
Resident Alien

I do. But I can't imagine HA being good enough to beat me.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-09-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #444
Ironhead
College Prospect

Is anyone else going to hit some stores to see if they can score the game early? I finally managed to get it early last year. Even so I always tell myself every year this hunt is ridiculous but damned if I don't absolutely feel the need to do it anyway.

Last edited by Ironhead : 07-09-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #445
Logan
Head Coach

Bro, last year rocked.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #446
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'll for sure try to get it early, but I am skeptical. Did you go to a mom and pop shop for it?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:56 PM   #447
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I have a buddy who works @ EA who gets me any game I want for free. The only drawback is I have to wait until release date...he sent me a text today saying he was playing NCAA 09 in his living room. I really do hate that man.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #448
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I'll for sure try to get it early, but I am skeptical. Did you go to a mom and pop shop for it?

Yeah, picked it up at a local store that is unfortunately no longer in business.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #449
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Is anyone else going to hit some stores to see if they can score the game early? I finally managed to get it early last year. Even so I always tell myself every year this hunt is ridiculous but damned if I don't absolutely feel the need to do it anyway.

Late spring/early summer is always gaming sadness for me. It's the time farthest away from the onslaught of holiday releases (November usually). For me, searching for a copy of NCAA 09 early is a game itself. It entertains me while I wait for a real game to play

I went to 3 different stores tonight looking for it. Anyone looking to pick it up needs to check out OS's "Official where & when thread". There is lots of great info & tips in there to check out.

I went on the search for other games in the past, like NCAA 08, Halo 3, etc. Just something to do while I wait for time to pass. 5 days and 20 minutes til official release!!!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #450
Comey
College Starter

Really? I went to a GameStop here that, I swear, nobody knows about (it's next to a bank on an island of a strip mall...it's set apart from the rest of it). They have more used games than I've ever seen, and the guy says it's because nobody knows about the store. It's almost hidden. Maybe it's the greatest GameStop ever for that reason.

Anyway, I already pre-purchased my copy of 09 from that store. Can't wait to come waltzing in around 12:45 on Tuesday, pick it up, and get to playing by 1.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote