Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #401
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Yowzee. Farging slaughtered. Uh, well, there'salwaysnextweek.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #402
Kodos
Resident Alien

Chuck Farley with a nice first game!
Old 03-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #403
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Next opponent doesn't look like much, but we'll see how much he improves his team before the game.

I just boosted my DE to level 5. I'm neglecting stamina for now because I want to create a guy that's super effective when he does play. He's a super fast (30 speed) pass rushing end.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #404
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Has just created a second player a P named Ryan Plackemeyer. Gotta love those Deacs!he needs a non US AA home. (can't have him competing with his brother Deacon Palmer.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #405
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Ouch, that was a brutal game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #406
sabotai
General Manager

and.....the website is down again (at least for me)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #407
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
and.....the website is down again (at least for me)

I don't remember if you had as many tackles as last game, but for most of the running plays I seem to remember that you and I worked pretty well together. I had alot of double teams leaving you wide open to make the tackle keeping them to only 1-2 yards gain alot.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:58 PM   #408
gkb
High School Varsity

Yeesh...not a good game for us. I noticed that Max was moved to the right side, which is fine. I also noticed that a lot of us leveled, which is good. I'm going to focus on blocking, strength, and stamina unless told otherwise. I was checking out the play-by-play, but then the site crashed or something...meh.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #409
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Sab had double digit tackles again I think. The only one to do so despite them running like 300 plays.

Quote:
I read the important skills for DT are Strength, Tackling, Agility, speed. For me I don't know being a NT that I need a ton of speed, but probably a little improvement there wouldn't hurt for me.

I don't plan on upping speed at all. I don't think DT's will be doing much straight line running. Most of my opportunities so far have been close quarters where agility is far more valuable.

Of course, I have no idea what attributes are important for getting double teamed. In real life, huge, strong, NTs are usually the best, even if they can't run. Agile ones like Casey Hampton or the inconceivable Ted Washington are that much better. I bet neither one could break 6.0 in a 40. It's just not in the job description.

I know you gain less per day training the higher you level and attributes get, so maybe I'll hit up speed one day when it's economically feasible to do so. For now, stamina, strength and agility.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #410
sabotai
General Manager

Comparing to the other LBs on the team, it's not like my attributes are that different. It's probably more a product of the position rather than the player. If so (I guess we can look at other teams to see if the LOLB is the one making most of the tackles to see if there is a trend), I would suggest rotating the LBs around so that we all have a chance to to get good stats, which I think effect the amount of XP you get (I may be mistaken, though).

Last edited by sabotai : 03-25-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #411
sabotai
General Manager

dola,

Brutal game, yes, but looking at their team, it's just about all human players that are Level 5 and 6, while I don't think we had any level 5 players before the game, so we were pretty outmatched in this one. If we can keep our whole team together while others undoubtedbly go through player turnaround, I'm sure we'll become a powerhouse.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #412
Icy
Pro Starter

Have you guys watched the 2D replays from the pbp? Are really awesome!

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #413
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

A few random thoughts:

We should work towards a coherent defensive strategy. Taking into account that everybody is extremely unskilled at this early time, the most important thing for us, as a defense, is not giving them big plays. Seems like every QB in the league has poor efficiency numbers, so if we went conservative and forced offenses to go on long drives, we'd win out.

So, if we set the secondary to soft, or whatever that setting is, I'd be willing to bet that the QB will misfire enough on his own to force punts. Eventually they'll take a loss or no gain and put themselves in long yardage. Call it the Barry Sanders Theorem. Something like this:

- NT: Expect run. The NT will be really important in clogging up the middle in run plays. A strong (literally) presence here would probably be enough to curtail enough of the running game to choke it off. Anyone who relies on the run game will have to be dominant, and we'll likely not see that for a few seasons.
- DEs: Expect pass. I don't know about this one because our pass rush is anemic, but assuming we can train up a little bit, we could generate some heat without needs to blitz.
- DTs: Depends on the team we play. I'll probably leave my guy neutral, usually. If I hit up the shed block skill, I think I could end up with ~7-8 tackles a game, maybe, since Alan T takes up so much space, and I'm going up against weak guards.
- LBs: Whatever. It can depend on the opponent and matchups, but we'd probably be OK on neutral for these guys.
-CBs: Expect pass, playing soft or medium. We've given up at least two long plays so far getting burned on aggressive looking coverage.
-Ss: Can be neutral, probably, I don't know.

Training wise, we should probably hammer specific skills and attributes so everyone can fill their role effectively. Once we feel like we have that, we can branch out into other skills to take the next step, from conservative but sound to a more varied approach, once we are more skilled.

At first though, I think it would make most sense to help teams shoot themselves out of the game, to use a basketball analogy.

On training, I have no idea what most positions have. I know for me, I want to identify the 3ish most important skills and really pump them up best I can, considering you only get like 15 skill points a season (I don't know if you can level up more than 3 times with flex points). There are some cool skills available, but achieving a minimum competence takes precedence for me. We just need to determine what we want out of everybody.

On offense, I have no idea. We can't pass for shit. I guess going safe west coast would be best maybe? Our OL seems to be the strength of the team, according to the site, so I guess we can go run heavy and try to keep scores down. Training our QBs in things like scrambling and dump off first would probably be beneficial until we can establish some skill on offense. Maybe our guy can run from pressure and get some yardage on his own. Trying to be a drop back passer with no skill players is going to be tough. Just ask Vince Young.

Regardless, I think the dump off skill for the QB is really important. It can be the difference between no gain, or negative gain, and three or four yards. That makes a difference.

I guess a power back would be best, too, someone who can lower his head and steam for an extra yard or two. I know that skill exists. Anything to keep the chains moving.

Anyway thats just me rambling, trying to start a discussion. Thoughts?
Old 03-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #414
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Man we got torched. Johnny Thunder had a terrible game, 7 attempts for 5.5 yards. Ouch! The good news is the 5 skill points that I get to spend.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #415
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Did I say few? I meant a million. I am way too into this.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #416
RedHawk00
H.S. Freshman Team

put me in coach, i am ready to play...

where do you guys have room for a lvl 1 at whatever position you need?
RedHawk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:01 PM   #417
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Signed up as a FB and signed with the Kharkiv Annihilators.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:01 PM   #418
hawk4669
High School JV

Man....I wish games weren't every two days. lol I guess it is a good thing though. I like these little browser based games, and so far I'm loving this one.

I'm not too discouraged by the two losses.....I think everyone here will 1. stick with their teams and 2. are very football minded. As the game expands and moves forward, I think it'll cater to teams that consistantly improve together (i.e. all of the FOFC teams) and that know the game.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #419
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

http://goallineblitz.com/game/replay.pl?pbp_id=360891

Well I guess its good I didn't give up.

DeMarcus Lott has 21.08 speed and it looked like I was gaining a little bit so that WR probably had 21 or high 20.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:46 PM   #420
Sgran
High School Varsity

Slippy Nusens, SS, looking for a team. I guess I'm first level. I'm all about knocking balls down.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:15 PM   #421
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

My team was taken over by a human owner...my pay is too low to support my training, and he hasn't responded to attempts to get released even though he has relegated me to 2nd string. . . I think I'm playing for Mike Brown
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #422
hawk4669
High School JV

Not that anyone cares about the punter Legs Faustino....buuuuuut I realized today that I hadn't equipped one of his equipment items AND hadn't bought a custom equipment item yet either.

His modified strength is now up to 27.15 and his punting skill is 34.78. Additionally, he punted 13 times in our game and if we play like that again, he'll rise to level 6.

Anyways...that'll help with field position I guess. Tired of having a punt average comparable to high schoolers.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
Old 03-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #423
bhlloy
Coordinator

Larry, seems like we are passing the ball way, way too much (and not just because I am a RB ) I assume there is at least a setting for run/pass.

Seems like when we are overmatched, it makes sense to run the ball and try to control the game rather than throwing it 46 times.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #424
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - sorry to bug, but now I'm level 5 I'm at a shortfall of $400 a week for training. Any chance of a raise, boss?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #425
hawk4669
High School JV

Can anyone tell me what Fresno's PR was thinking on this play??

WTF?

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
Old 03-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #426
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Depends on where the beer tent is.

RIP
Old 03-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #427
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4669 View Post
Can anyone tell me what Fresno's PR was thinking on this play??

WTF?

Cheers!

Haha... that must be one intimidating punter
Old 03-25-2008, 08:21 PM   #428
dbd1963
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Larry, seems like we are passing the ball way, way too much (and not just because I am a RB ) I assume there is at least a setting for run/pass.

Seems like when we are overmatched, it makes sense to run the ball and try to control the game rather than throwing it 46 times.

Yikes, and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn either. But I think that happened because we went down 14-0 and then 21-0 pretty early.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #429
hawk4669
High School JV

Quote:
Haha... that must be one intimidating punter

Either that or good looking cheerleaders. *shrug*

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
Old 03-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #430
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Sabotai has been our highest-performing LB, certainly. Let me point out, though, that the LOLB position is taken out in nickel and dime situations, so there were several critical plays when our best guy wasn't on the field.

Now for the self serving part: As the highest ranked backup LB, I'd rather back up the MLB, so I'm getting in the game more. RayRay Lewis (not an FOFCer, and level 2) got into 34 plays, as did Ryan (Jetsin06) Omark, a level 1 LB. Crim was in for only 17 plays, and 15 of those were punt coverage.

Just sayin.

/sour grapes

RIP
Old 03-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #431
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

RayRay Lews=red flag
Old 03-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #432
sabotai
General Manager

I did a quick look through of the other teams in our conference, and it does seem that the LOLB does get a lot of the tackles. Even a Lvl 1 LB got more tackles over level 5 and 6 players on his team.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:44 PM   #433
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

I guess I have some spare time waiting for tcy2, so the next person to message me what position(s) is needed most on their team will have one more human player on their team. Oh and send me a referral link if you want.
TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #434
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Quote:

If he had auto adjust turned on, it would have triggered the engine to have our QB's throw non-stop once we were down a couple of TD.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:37 PM   #435
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Another team that my OT was traded to, they posted this...

Most skills do help, but I'm posting the main ones you'll need on each position

QB
Key Skills
Throwing
Not as key Skills
Strength, Confidence

Do not bother training
Punting, Kicking, Blocking, Tackling

HB
Key Skills
Carrying, Speed & Strength (mix depending on the type of back), Agility
Not as Key
Jumping, Catching

Do not bother training
Throwing, Kicking, Punting, Tackling

FB (note this is more a blocking back - speed should be within about 10 points minimum of HB)
Key Skills
Stength, Blocking
Not as key
Speed,Agility, Carrying

Do not bother training

WR
Key Skills
Speed, Catching, Carrying
Not as key
Agility, Jumping

Do not bother training
Throwing, Kicking, Punting, Tackling, Strength

TE
Key Skills
Blocking, Catching
Not as Key
Strength, Carrying, Speed, Agility

Do not bother training

O-Line
Key Skills
Agility, Strength, Blocking
Not as key
Speed

Do not bother training
Throwing, Kicking, Punting, Tackling, Catching, Carrying

D-Line
Key Skills
Agility, Strength, Tackling
Not as Key
Speed

Do not train
Throwing, Kicking, Punting, Catching, Carrying

Linebacker
Key Skills
Agility, Tackling, Speed
Not as key
Catching, Strength

Do not train
Throwing, Kicking, Punting, Carrying

CB
Key Skills
Speed, Tackling, Catching
Not as key
Jumping, Agility

Do not train
Throwing, Kicking, Punting, Carrying (unless you return kicks)

FS/SS
Key Skills
Speed, Tackling
Not as key
Jumping, Agility, Catching

Do not train
Throwing, Kicking, Punting, Carrying (unless you return kicks)

K/P
Key skills
Strength, Kicking or Punting, Big Boot (special skill)
Not as key
Confidence, Agility

Do not train
Throwing, Blocking, Tackling, Catching, Carrying

Note
Vision and Stamina are very important for all players. Vision less so for K/P, DL and OL, but still needed

Confidence can help, but not that much really except for K and P.

Training Tip
When you train plan it so you can get as close as possible to 100% energy for the next game

If this means training on relaxed, then train on relaxed. It's better in the long run.

Special Skills are a bit different. There's really no right or wrong way to do it.
Generally I think it's better to wait until skills are higher to put point in them, but putting one or two at the start is ok
Old 03-26-2008, 12:26 AM   #436
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
They had a level 6 receiver that made us look really bad, especially on an 80 yard TD where it looks like Southwell fell down.
Yeah, thanks for mentioning that!

Apart from that play, I did get 4 deflections and an INT.

What I thought was interesting though was that my CB also got 2 receptions! Did I get put in because our receivers were down on stamina?
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:57 AM   #437
gkb
High School Varsity

RG Max Protect's lowlight real...

He manages to pull here and be in front of the RB, but instead of moving forward through the gaping hole, he jumps over to hit the already blocked LE (vision problem maybe?)
http://goallineblitz.com/game/replay.pl?pbp_id=360719

This turns into a positive play for us, but the NT just runs over me on the way to Tank.
http://goallineblitz.com/game/replay.pl?pbp_id=361098

My guy, the NT, again getting into the backfield and this time gets a tackle for a loss.
http://goallineblitz.com/game/replay.pl?pbp_id=361291

We stand him up this time, but he still makes the tackle.
http://goallineblitz.com/game/replay.pl?pbp_id=361379
Old 03-26-2008, 01:00 AM   #438
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I've got a lvl5 HB, Annie Man sitting in free agency. I've got a couple offers from teams, but I -strongly- would prefer to hit a FOFC team & get some touches.

Was messaging Ben in game, but his team has a bunch of HB's already. I'd just like to hook on to a 'solid' team with quality fofc'rs
Old 03-26-2008, 04:39 AM   #439
Icy
Pro Starter

I have created a second player, a level 4 TE and i'm looking into joining a FOFC team that needs one (Lowcountry, where my DT plays, has 2 already).

http://goallineblitz.com/game/player.pl?player_id=49966

Old 03-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #440
dbd1963
High School JV

I would sign you in a second, but I got two also.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:48 AM   #441
Icy
Pro Starter

For what i have read in their forums, it seems that nobody needs TE's so i'm thinking on moving him to another position, like DE or LB.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:51 AM   #442
dbd1963
High School JV

I just checked my team and it's full. I get people who want to quit about every day though. I'll bet Skydog's team is still "hiring". Don't know about Larry's team.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #443
Bee
Pro Starter

BB Blanks - Level 4 HB if anyone needs one.

Last edited by Bee : 03-26-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #444
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Billy Hoyle - 6-1 201lbs.

WR for hire.

Anyone need a WR? Would prefer the human experience to the european computer team.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 03-26-2008 at 09:32 AM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #445
Icy
Pro Starter

For those without human team, i posted a thread in the forums asking for a team for my second player, the TE, and so far got 12 offers, some of them really good economically and some from teams in the top Canadian and USA leagues.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #446
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
For what i have read in their forums, it seems that nobody needs TE's so i'm thinking on moving him to another position, like DE or LB.

Nobody can compete with Chuck Farley. HE IS A GOD!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #447
Icy
Pro Starter

Btw, do you think blocking does mater for TE's? i can't see any TE with blocking stats like pancakes, etc. In fact, TE stats are only for pass and rushes???

Old 03-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #448
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

I set it up to run more, but there is an auto adjust button that caused us to go into pass mode probably because a) the small amount of running we did wasn't working and b) we had a huge deficit early on.

I'm going to turn the adjustments screen off next game and set up a balanced attack.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #449
Icy
Pro Starter

How fun/deep is running a team? i'm thinking on buying one.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #450
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's a lot of work to start (I'm owning a team based at another message board in Canadia's pro league). It's like any other thing with 40+ people.. trying to get them all going the same way can be challenging

(Yes, I know it's Canada, I was trying to be funny)