Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #351
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
My wife just said (after reading that) if they make Zelda into an RPG she will be REALLY pissed.

While the concept has my wife really geeked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Really? People are excited about a 2D Mario game? I clearly do not get it.

Considering that I loved the last four 2d Super Mario, and got very little out of the last couple which were 3d, count me as very excited for a 2d game.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #352
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Considering that I loved the last four 2d Super Mario, and got very little out of the last couple which were 3d, count me as very excited for a 2d game.

I'm the same as you. 3D Games like Mario 64, Mario Galaxy, etc. do nothing for me, but I played the New Super Mario Bros game on the DS quite a bit.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #353
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm the same as you. 3D Games like Mario 64, Mario Galaxy, etc. do nothing for me, but I played the New Super Mario Bros game on the DS quite a bit.

I know that Mario Sunshine got a lukewarm reception, and Galaxy was largely considered the best game on any platform in 2007. But to me they were the same - took two or three tries to get the character to go where I wanted, turn off in frustration, repeat several times, allow case to collect dust.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #354
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I will be picking it up in the morning for the wife. Our home office is officially closed tomorrow she told me.

Per my kids... the game freaking awesome daddy-o!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #355
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting comments from Kojima today. Evidently he is mainly involved with the development and design of the MGS:Peace Maker title on the PSP. The MGS: Rising title for the PS3 and 360 is being directed and designed by someone else.

IGN: Kojima Focused on PSP Metal Gear

Quote:
The answer was revealed today in Famitsu. While we're certain Kojima is going to be kept mighty busy either way, he's actually only fully involved with Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker. The Metal Gear series father is serving as director, producer and game designer on the PSP title.

As for Metal Gear Solid Rising (confirmed in Famitsu to be for Xbox 360 and PS3), Kojima is serving as producer along side Kenichiro Imaizumi. He told the magazine, "I'm not the director. I'm not doing game design either. Although, I do issue complaints (laughs). But, not too much."
Old 06-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #356
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

-Not one, but two Final Fantasy games coming in 2010 with XIV being exclusive. Having that MMO as an exclusive is HUGE for the European and Asian markets.

Square insisted today that XIV isn't an exclusive. It will be coming to PC and they're considering the 360.

Square Enix 'considering' FFXIV Online for Xbox 360 - News GameSpot E3 2009

Quote:
[11:56] Through a translator, he says that some folks interpreted that it was an exclusive, the announcement would be coming to the PS3 and PC.

[11:56] "We are considering all options at this time, including Microsoft hardware."
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #357
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I just ordered Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii and We Ski for $89 total. It went out of stock really quick and I don't know if it was a price mistake and the order will get canceled, but hopefully not.

I haven't bought a Wii game in a while, but I wanted to play Mario Kart and I wasn't going to purchase Wii Fit alone for $90 bucks, but all three I couldn't pass up.

On phone they said it wasn't a mistake, but guess they retracted that as most orders got canceled due to "system error during processing". LOL, just admit you screwed up and never intended to have this deal.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #358
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Square insisted today that XIV isn't an exclusive. It will be coming to PC and they're considering the 360.

Interesting. Wondering if the agreement will be similar to the FFXIII agreement where they get exclusive in Asia. It's obviously much more important in that region given the MMO infatuation over there.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #359
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sony had some interesting comments regarding people who own UMD versions of games. They're working on plans to allow owners to transfer or download games they already own onto the PSP Go. That would be a nice nod to existing owners. May create a mini-run on the used market as well to get games for cheap that then would be transfered to the PSP Go.

Kotaku - Sony Is Working on a UMD Solution for PSP Go - E3
Old 06-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #360
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's some great game/console deals for the Canadian folks who have a Best Buy near their home. Ignore the name of the blog, as the advertisement also has Wii and 360 deals along with handheld deals........

PS3Blog.net » Blog Archive » PS3 Related Sales Coming Soon to Best Buy
Old 06-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #361
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Here's some great game/console deals for the Canadian folks who have a Best Buy near their home. Ignore the name of the blog, as the advertisement also has Wii and 360 deals along with handheld deals........

PS3Blog.net » Blog Archive » PS3 Related Sales Coming Soon to Best Buy

Pretty awesome if true... Guitar Hero: WT and Infamous are tempting.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #362
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New development in the motion control system for the 360 (Project Nadal) that may require some changes. Currently, the camera is using near infrared. Only one problem, near infrared cameras have a hard time registering the movement of people with dark skin. N'Gai Croal reportedly was unable to use the full functionality of the device, while his lighter-skinned cohorts had no issues.........

Natal struggles to see Black people? - NeoGAF
Old 06-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #363
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I always new the 360 was racist.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #364
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've never seen a whiter console.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #365
DataKing
Pro Rookie

One of my best friends is (has a) dark (Xbox).
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #366
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
One of my best friends is (has a) dark (Xbox).

Nicely done.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #367
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I just got home with the Tiger Woods 10/Wii Motion Plus bundle and played my first round. Chipping and putting is much better than in the old Tiger games for Wii, it's easier to hit an 80% shot or a 60% shot when needed on approaches. After selecting the precision controls for putting there are no meters or anything to mess with, just point the club down and putt like you would a 5/10/20/50 footer in regular golf. And you can push or pull putts now.

Another nice thing is that the extra two inches or so added on by the motion plus makes the Wiimote a lot easier to grip a golf club.

Good stuff so far.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #368
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I just got home with the Tiger Woods 10/Wii Motion Plus bundle and played my first round. Chipping and putting is much better than in the old Tiger games for Wii, it's easier to hit an 80% shot or a 60% shot when needed on approaches. After selecting the precision controls for putting there are no meters or anything to mess with, just point the club down and putt like you would a 5/10/20/50 footer in regular golf. And you can push or pull putts now.

Another nice thing is that the extra two inches or so added on by the motion plus makes the Wiimote a lot easier to grip a golf club.

Good stuff so far.

I picked the game up today as well. I was only able to play 10 rounds, but it was enough for me to know that this game will get a lot of hours played.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:25 AM   #369
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
New development in the motion control system for the 360 (Project Nadal) that may require some changes. Currently, the camera is using near infrared. Only one problem, near infrared cameras have a hard time registering the movement of people with dark skin. N'Gai Croal reportedly was unable to use the full functionality of the device, while his lighter-skinned cohorts had no issues.........

Natal struggles to see Black people? - NeoGAF

Yes, I'm stealing this from the aforementioned thread (since a lot of ppl here probably won't follow it that far) because I think it's a near perfect reaction
Old 06-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #370
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
I picked the game up today as well. I was only able to play 10 rounds, but it was enough for me to know that this game will get a lot of hours played.

Have heard some very good feedback on TW10 on the Wii. Grand Slam Tennis........not so much. Sounds like the controls don't translate nearly as well. Lots of swings go unregistered. Given how well the controller works on TW10, the motion control issues on Grand Slam Tennis must be software-related.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #371
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Picked up TW10 for the wii today.. it's been a long time since I purchased a wii game. Can't wait to try this baby over the weekend!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #372
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yes, I'm stealing this from the aforementioned thread (since a lot of ppl here probably won't follow it that far) because I think it's a near perfect reaction

Near perfect indeed. Very funny.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #373
rowech
Pro Starter

While not totally 2009, I wonder what folks think of Far Cry 2...I've never done one of these open world games but that one seems interesting to me. I'm also tempted to do one of the GTA but worry I'll go to hell.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #374
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
While not totally 2009, I wonder what folks think of Far Cry 2...I've never done one of these open world games but that one seems interesting to me. I'm also tempted to do one of the GTA but worry I'll go to hell.
The term "open world" game is a bit broad, but the kind of game that genre describes is not really what the Far Cry games are.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #375
Calis
College Starter

Far Cry 2 is a really nice looking game and a blast for a while, but I didn't last long with it. The main turnoff for me is my absolute hatred of respawning, and there's tons of this in here. I felt like I was constantly fighting the same battle over and over.

It's definitely the least 'open' of the open-world style of games. It's a shooter with extremely large levels.

Today I took advantage of the Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal for PS3 games at Target and picked up Tiger Woods 10, Red Faction: Guerilla, and another copy of UFC Undisputed to give to a friend so we can play online.

Have we not talked about Red Faction yet? I've only played about an hour or so but it's a complete blast. It's basically an open-world physics toy almost. It has a very in depth physics engines and almost completely destructible terrain/buildings. Lots of bombs also. It's like a more refined version of Mercenaries. I imagine I'll be putting a lot of time into it. Highly recommend it.

Haven't started up TW10 yet.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #376
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just picked up Infamous and it's a blast.

BTW Prototype, a game I saw heavily hyped by gamers apparently is not very good. Not many reviews and the ones out there don't make it sound very appealing.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #377
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

BTW Prototype, a game I saw heavily hyped by gamers apparently is not very good. Not many reviews and the ones out there don't make it sound very appealing.

Disappointing. I was looking forward to it from the little I have seen. I will probably rent it to give it.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #378
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Disappointing. I was looking forward to it from the little I have seen. I will probably rent it to give it.

The one review I recall seeing gave it like a 7.3 or something. IGN said its graphics are very unimpressive, giving it a 5.5. Obviously that doesn't mean everything, and a 7.3 is still okay, but I had high expectations so it's disappointing to me.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #379
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

That Prototype game looks to be the most apalling game ever.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #380
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

The success of Infamous didn't help that game a lick. It's a much better game than Prototype, plus Prototype gets the copy cat label only because it's released at roughly the same time.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #381
Calis
College Starter

Yeah, the negative feedback I heard on Prototype pushed me towards picking up Red Faction instead today and I'm very glad I did now after several hours. I think Red Faction is a much better game than Infamous which was fun but overall a letdown imo. Sounds like Prototype is in the same ballpark.

Between Saint's Row and Red Faction, I'm really impressed with Volition. (Not to mention Freespace obviously, but doubt there's many people left from that) They really get the FUN aspect of these open world games.

Red Faction is bringing back some of the joy I got from the early GTA games that has been removed. That is setting up areas before a mission. I can set up blockades with tanks placed around. I can setup explosives on certain key structures to explode when they come through. There's just a whole lot of freedom that isn't available in games like Infamous or I'm assuming Prototype. Had some good ambush missions where I got to specifically see the route and pick the ambush spot I thought looked bust. Great stuff.

Highly recommend it. If you liked Mercenaries or to a lesser extent Saint's Row I think you'll love this. Feels a lot like Tribes 2 also for a little nostalgia.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #382
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
The success of Infamous didn't help that game a lick. It's a much better game than Prototype, plus Prototype gets the copy cat label only because it's released at roughly the same time.

Huh, that sucks. My buddy that rented/beat Infamous at the same time that I bought/beat it so far is enjoying Prototype a lot more, I read through a review and am pretty skeptical though, I'll have to find out what he says after a little more play.

I will say though the further removed I get from having beaten Infamous the more disappointed I am with it. Definitely wish I had rented instead of purchased it.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:03 AM   #383
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like some more info on the upcoming PS3 price cut. This article cites an analyst as saying that the price cut will come just before the Madden 10 release in August.

PS3 Price Cut in August Timed with Madden Launch? - IndustryGamers
Old 06-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #384
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ping Euro PS3 owners........

Anyone tried out the free music video service released overnight? Just curious how well it works.

PS3Blog.net » Blog Archive » PS3 VidZone Launches Today in Europe
Old 06-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #385
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, Gamespot is getting worse and worse about reviewing stuff in any sort of timely fashion. If you're not an A or A+ title, there's only a 50% chance you're reviewed by the end of your release week.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #386
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Far Cry 2 is a really nice looking game and a blast for a while, but I didn't last long with it. The main turnoff for me is my absolute hatred of respawning, and there's tons of this in here. I felt like I was constantly fighting the same battle over and over.

Could not agree more Calis.. rather disappointing too as I really liked the first one.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:09 AM   #387
RainMaker
General Manager

So today I was bored and downloaded a ton of video game trailers. Maybe I'm just a sucker for a trailer, but it looks like a lot of potentially great games are on the horizon.

Assassin's Creed 2 - Wasn't a huge fan of 1 but did find it different. They put so much detail into the environments that it's worth seeing it for that alone. This one appears to take place in Venice in the late 1400's and the trailer is really catchy.

BioShock 2 - If it's anything close to what BioShock was, I'll love it. Seems they are picking up 8 years from the previous one and you are a Big Daddy.

Alan Wake - Doesn't come out till 2010 but the trailer was interesting. I'm getting sick of the same ole first person shooters and this one seems to be a little different.

COD: Modern Warfare 2 - Loved the first and can't imagine the 2nd would disappoint.

Battlefield 1943 - Basically the old Battlefield upgraded with the Frostbite engine. At something like $15 and downloadable, not sure how any Battlefield fans could pass it up.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 - The first is one of my favorite games and one I still play online.

Ghostbusters - Will probably suck but I'm a sucker for the movie and can't pass up the game.

Castlevania - Trailer looked amazing and they seem to have a nice budget to hire some big name voice actors (Patrick Stewart is one). Says 2010 unfortunately.

Prototype - Waiting to finish Infamous first but that looks fun.

Probably missing a few but it's just a lot of good games coming out in the coming year. Seems game makers have really figured out how to program and get the most out of these systems.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-12-2009 at 06:10 AM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:51 AM   #388
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Amusing video from Sony promoting the new Killzone 2 map pack released yesterday......

http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/412/0

FYI for 360 and PS3 owners. 50 foot HDMI cable on sale for $20 if you need one......

http://www.slickdeals.net/permadeal/...-1-3b-Cable-20

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-12-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #389
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Amusing video from Sony promoting the new Killzone 2 map pack released yesterday......

http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/412/0

FYI for 360 and PS3 owners. 50 foot HDMI cable on sale for $20 if you need one......

Slickdeals.net - 50-Foot HDMI 1.3b Cable $20

I see no way in which that promotes a new map pack, but it is pretty cool. If that really is to promote a new map pack though, they probably should have focused on something from the map pack and not the solo play story line.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #390
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I forget, can you female female HDMI's to make a longer one?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #391
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I see no way in which that promotes a new map pack, but it is pretty cool. If that really is to promote a new map pack though, they probably should have focused on something from the map pack and not the solo play story line.

It's related to one of the new maps. One of them has a nuclear theme. If a nuclear bomb blast goes off, you have 2-3 seconds to get under cover on this map. Anyone who doesn't get under cover gets burnt to a crisp........and then respawns of course.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #392
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Anyone else think this is going a bit too far? I'm not sure we need a golf simulator on the Wii. I think that the TW series strikes a decent balance of swing gameplay while not making it too realistic to the point of frustration. If I want true golf, I'll head to the links.

IGN: My Personal Trainer with IMG Academies and David Leadbetter Preview
Old 06-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #393
MJ4H
Coordinator

Seems like the natural evolution of the technology to me.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #394
Tasan
College Starter

For anyone looking to get Ghostbusters on the PC, you can get in now on Amazon for 29.99 plus 2.00 off for the pre-order. If you have the Amazon super saver thingy that gives you free shipping, then that makes a real cheap price of 27.99 delivered on release day. I put my order in.

Last edited by Tasan : 06-12-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #395
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

Good stuff so far.

Just bought last night. Played a round at like 3am...shot a +14 with my created guy (that probably took me an hour to do itself). I'm going to have mucho fun with this on days I can't actually head to the country club!

Edit: Because I'm a moron.

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 06-13-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #396
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My wife and I have broken the shrink wrap on a couple of multiplayer games I've had sitting around on the Wii: Boom Blox and Mario Kart. Quite enjoying both- tho we'll see after a few more days. Boom Blox is fun and "feels" a lot like Super Monkey Ball to me but with motion controls. I am no good at the jenga-style puzzles. We just played the co-op Mario Kart last night and went through the 4 cups that are unlocked. I think I'll go back to playing with my Wavebird but my wife really likes the steering wheel.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #397
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Anyone else think this is going a bit too far? I'm not sure we need a golf simulator on the Wii. I think that the TW series strikes a decent balance of swing gameplay while not making it too realistic to the point of frustration. If I want true golf, I'll head to the links.

IGN: My Personal Trainer with IMG Academies and David Leadbetter Preview

For those of us who unfortunately live where there is snow cover 6 months a year, yet is still populated by golf fanatics, this is a cheap way to get some training/practice in the long cold winter.

The Wii has done very well with "non-game" type software - the Wii Fit/workout stuff. It would not stun me to see this sell better than TW 2010 - to golfers, not gamers. Especially if it is motion plus enabled.

Last edited by Samdari : 06-15-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #398
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
For those of us who unfortunately live where there is snow cover 6 months a year, yet is still populated by golf fanatics, this is a cheap way to get some training/practice in the long cold winter.

The Wii has done very well with "non-game" type software - the Wii Fit/workout stuff. It would not stun me to see this sell better than TW 2010 - to golfers, not gamers. Especially if it is motion plus enabled.

To even pass off as legit, it has to incorporate this right?
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #399
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
To even pass off as legit, it has to incorporate this right?

The game will use Motion Plus and the Balance Board from Wii Fit.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #400
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

TW 10 for the wii is one really fun and addicting golf game, bravo!