Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2021, 10:11 PM   #2701
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic
It’s not going to be served up on a silver platter in 2024 for them like it was in 2020. Instead of going up against some incoherent raging megalomaniac, they’re going to be up against an articulate, calculating even tempered opponent like Ron DeSantis. I’d say they’ve got their work cut out for them.

I think this underestimates the number of people who voted Republican because of Trump. Some also did it in spite of him, but the fact that he wasn't calculating was a big factor for a lot of people.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:15 PM   #2702
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think this underestimates the number of people who voted Republican because of Trump. Some also did it in spite of him, but the fact that he wasn't calculating was a big factor for a lot of people.

Yeah I think how a post-Trump election will go is anyone's guess. You can easily argue that a hell of a lot of Trump voters are going to lose interest as soon as he's not on the ticket.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #2703
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think a lot also depends on what the platform is. Trumpism even in terms of proposals was much different than, for example, the kind of thing that Marco Rubio or Jeb Bush or John Kasich advocated. I think it's pretty clear that Trumpism has a larger bloc of voters behind it, but it's not foregone where they next candidate lands on that spectrum. There's still an awful lot of prominent Republican politicans who, for most of their career, haven't been following that ideology.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:26 AM   #2704
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So... I check my bank account this morning to make sure my paycheck was deposited, and I see a child tax credit payment. WTF? I don't think I qualify. I mean, I have a 17 year old but I thought I was above the income cut-off. Now I need to look into whether I can opt out because I don't need it now and don't want to have to pay it back next year. Thanks Obama!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:36 AM   #2705
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So... I check my bank account this morning to make sure my paycheck was deposited, and I see a child tax credit payment. WTF? I don't think I qualify. I mean, I have a 17 year old but I thought I was above the income cut-off. Now I need to look into whether I can opt out because I don't need it now and don't want to have to pay it back next year. Thanks Obama!

You can opt out.

Same thing happened to me, I got a letter the other day from the IRS saying we were getting something. I was surprised because at the risk of a humble brag we are considerably over what I would expect the cap to be. Turns out we are JUST under it. They basically scale back the amount based on certain income levels, so we don't get the full amount, but I was surprised it was more than I thought.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:49 AM   #2706
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
You can opt out.

Same thing happened to me, I got a letter the other day from the IRS saying we were getting something. I was surprised because at the risk of a humble brag we are considerably over what I would expect the cap to be. Turns out we are JUST under it. They basically scale back the amount based on certain income levels, so we don't get the full amount, but I was surprised it was more than I thought.

I have a question. Is the amount we are getting now just the increased credit or the entire credit? If the increased credit amount then it shouldn't really impact my taxes when I file next year. If it is an advance of the entire credit, then I need to save it and that will have big impacts on many families.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:50 AM   #2707
Ksyrup

Yeah, I just went through the process of registering with the IRS to opt out. Now I have to do the same with my wife since we file jointly. I wish I had gotten a letter so I could have done it before the payment hit.

I only got $175 so it's not the end of the world but that would be $1050 through the end of the year that I don't want to have to pay back (or reduce my refund) next year. I kinda like getting a couple thousand back in February every year, plus I'm never entirely sure I'm going to get a refund and I definitely don't feel like writing a check like I did when Trump's tax cuts when into effect but they never updated the tax tables so I got hit with owing money for 2016.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-15-2021, 07:51 AM   #2708
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I have a question. Is the amount we are getting now just the increased credit or the entire credit? If the increased credit amount then it shouldn't really impact my taxes when I file next year. If it is an advance of the entire credit, then I need to save it and that will have big impacts on many families.

What I read in a couple of articles this morning is that it's half of the credit you would expect to get. The example I saw in an article is that if you had 1 kid under 6, you are entitled to $3600 so you would get $300 for 6 months (equal to $1800).
Old 07-15-2021, 07:57 AM   #2709
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
What I read in a couple of articles this morning is that it's half of the credit you would expect to get. The example I saw in an article is that if you had 1 kid under 6, you are entitled to $3600 so you would get $300 for 6 months (equal to $1800).

This is what I read as well
Old 07-15-2021, 08:37 AM   #2710
henry296
College Starter

That is what i read as well, so it half of the total amount not the increase.

Similar to you guys, I wasn't expecting it but got my letter two days ago with my amount. I think I'm going to opt out for future months and if I get a bigger refund I'll be happy. Don't need it now.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:18 AM   #2711
miked
College Starter

The government does not give you interest on the amount, so why is everyone so keen on a refund? I'd rather get the $300/month and get less back at refund time (if I were getting refunds). You can use that $300 to invest in a DRIP account or something rather than loaning the government money at 0%.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:23 AM   #2712
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't know exactly what it is, but there's definitely a US-based scandal connected to the Haiti assassination.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:47 AM   #2713
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
The government does not give you interest on the amount, so why is everyone so keen on a refund? I'd rather get the $300/month and get less back at refund time (if I were getting refunds). You can use that $300 to invest in a DRIP account or something rather than loaning the government money at 0%.

This is my thought. We had just authorized our investment guy to take out an additional $500 a month for investing so it works out.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:15 AM   #2714
Ksyrup

Doesn't bother me. I'd rather see money in February, or not have to pay anything if I'm not getting money back. If it was a significant sum then it would feel like I was giving something up. As it is, I feel like it's just taking away something I count on every February.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:10 PM   #2715
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked

The answer I always get is that people don't want to manage their money responsibly - some people have flat-out put it that way to me - and will spend whatever they make so not having access to that money during the year and getting the refund helps them.

My response is simply learn to handle money better, learn not to rely on a February/March windfall, etc. But it's just sort of something that's ingrained in the mindset for a lot of people. It's unquestionably better from a logical point of view to have your money now rather than give the fed an interest-free loan.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-15-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #2716
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Yeah I think how a post-Trump election will go is anyone's guess. You can easily argue that a hell of a lot of Trump voters are going to lose interest as soon as he's not on the ticket.

2012 and 2016 turnout was 55%, while 2020 was almost 67%. Trump and hate/fear of more Trump drove the election and I doubt there's another Republican that can get the same draw on either side.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:34 PM   #2717
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
It really brings up a good point, who is the best Dem candidate for 2024? I have always liked Andrew Yang, but he got smashed running for NYC mayor.

Is there anyone under the radar now that can rise up and wow voters?

Sherrod Brown
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:41 PM   #2718
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'd be stunned if the sitting VP was denied the nomination.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:57 PM   #2719
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Sherrod Brown

That's actually a good call
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #2720
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

You're not wrong, but I don't think President Kamala Harris appeals to practically anybody at this point.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #2721
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

If that is the case just call us a fascist nation now.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:11 PM   #2722
RainMaker
General Manager

Brown would be great and help with the rust belt. Establishment hates him so it'll never happen.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:11 PM   #2723
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If that is the case just call us a fascist nation now.

Hey man, we're working on it!
Old 07-15-2021, 08:02 PM   #2724
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Brown would be great and help with the rust belt. Establishment hates him so it'll never happen.

Are we talking about the same guy who was on Hillary Clinton's shortlist for VP (and reportedly only missed out because they didn't want to lose Ohio in the Senate for years)? That's the guy the establishment hates?

Besides there is an obvious answer for 2024. His name is Joe Biden.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-15-2021 at 08:07 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:01 AM   #2725
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I love Joe, but God I hope not. He shouldn't run again.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:04 AM   #2726
Swaggs
Coordinator

Unless Biden is physically debilitated or dead, I would be shocked if the Dem nominee is anyone else.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:17 AM   #2727
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Unless Biden is physically debilitated or dead, I would be shocked if the Dem nominee is anyone else.

If the Dems roll out Biden again and the right rolls out anyone not named Trump, likely DeSantis who is young, well educated, and well spoken, the dems will get killed.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:41 AM   #2728
Swaggs
Coordinator

Just my opinion, but outside of some seismic event, I think it will be a long, long time before anyone gets rolled again. With the environment so polarized, it is tough to envision any democrat or republican presidential candidate getting less than 45% (Hillary thought 47% of the population wasn't even worth campaigning to) of the vote or more than 53-55% unless there is a really viable third party candidate. With gerrymandering, it is largely the same with the US House and the Senate rarely has a massive swing between the power of incumbency and how polarized the states are (there are only 4 or 5 states that have senators from different parties now).

If Biden is the incumbent and anywhere near healthy enough to run, he will run and start out as the favorite. If the economy is in decent shape and there is not another pandemic raging, it is going to be real tough to say things are not better than they were four years ago. I'm sure the GOP, if they win back the house or senate, will try to gum things up and their success will probably be the biggest factor as to whether a health-permitting Biden wins comfortably or it is another late election night (or week).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:17 PM   #2729
Ksyrup

Here's a good article summarizing the various reasons to opt out of the child tax payments. I'm not even entirely sure I qualify, so I definitely don't want to get hit with a tax bill next year. But even if I do, I prefer to have a bit of wiggle room in my taxes to ensure I don't have to pay. The idea that I'm giving an "interest free loan" to the government for $167 a month is kinda laughable in terms of impact. It's just not enough for me to care about from the standpoint of trying to take advantage of the situation.

You may want to opt out of child tax credit checks before Aug. 2. Here's why - CNET
Old 07-16-2021, 12:17 PM   #2730
GrantDawg

Quote:
Just my opinion, but outside of some seismic event, I think it will be a long, long time before anyone gets rolled again. With the environment so polarized, it is tough to envision any democrat or republican presidential candidate getting less than 45% (Hillary thought 47% of the population wasn't even worth campaigning to) of the vote or more than 53-55% unless there is a really viable third party candidate. With gerrymandering, it is largely the same with the US House and the Senate rarely has a massive swing between the power of incumbency and how polarized the states are (there are only 4 or 5 states that have senators from different parties now).

If Biden is the incumbent and anywhere near healthy enough to run, he will run and start out as the favorite. If the economy is in decent shape and there is not another pandemic raging, it is going to be real tough to say things are not better than they were four years ago. I'm sure the GOP, if they win back the house or senate, will try to gum things up and their success will probably be the biggest factor as to whether a health-permitting Biden wins comfortably or it is another late election night (or week).
It only takes like a .5% shift because of the way the Electoral College and gerrymandering has elections set up for any election to go from a squeaker Democratic win to a Republican blow-out landslide. Dems could win the general vote by 3 percent, and the Republicans would have a huge majority in congress and the Electoral College count. Blow outs definitely can happen, but largely only for the GOP.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-16-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:07 PM   #2731
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Are we talking about the same guy who was on Hillary Clinton's shortlist for VP (and reportedly only missed out because they didn't want to lose Ohio in the Senate for years)? That's the guy the establishment hates?

I don't think he is that popular with the donor class which the Democrats still worship.

One mistake I think the Democrats are making is not touting this child tax credit more. Every left-wing group should be pounding the airwaves with ads about it. "Hey, that $300 you just got is because of us!". The party is just not great at touting their accomplishments and this is a pretty big one.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:32 PM   #2732
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm sure the GOP, if they win back the house or senate, will try to gum things up and their success will probably be the biggest factor as to whether a health-permitting Biden wins comfortably or it is another late election night (or week).

I agree with everything you wrote, except this. The last two Democratic Presidents had this exact scenario happen to them, and comfortably won re-election.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:45 PM   #2733
RainMaker
General Manager

This time the opposing party is trying to overturn elections and is not too keen on the democracy stuff.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:33 PM   #2734
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I love Joe, but God I hope not. He shouldn't run again.

You are way too pessimistic. Sounds like what people were saying this time last year about Biden. Not only will Biden run in 2024, but I bet he wins. Especially if it's against some moron like Desantis.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:38 PM   #2735
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I do think Desantis is at his peak. If it isn't Trump, I expect it will be someone we're not focused on now.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:51 AM   #2736
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I've probably never agreed more with ISiddiqui. I think there's a small chance Biden doesn't run in '24. But if he does, he's the clear favorite. Seems apparent to me he's taking care to not be overly divisive in most areas. That bothers some people, but it also makes it hard to run against him without a big plus in your corner to bank on. There's always 'what if the economy turns south again' or 'What if Crisis X emerges', but I think stable leadership getting us out of the pandemic will count for a lot
Old 07-17-2021, 05:40 AM   #2737
Edward64
Head Coach

Health notwithstanding ... assuming economy is doing well and we are in the stable new normal (e.g. living with Covid), I do agree Biden is the front runner.

I can see where the radical left will turn against Biden if they are not happy with his initiatives and wins. This could make that group apathetic to voting.

I am somewhat concerned about Biden not running and Kamala becomes the default front-runner. She hasn't done/said enough to impress me as VP ... and doesn't seem that Biden is positioning (or supporting her) well enough.

IMO Biden is doing a good job. In no particular order

1) Economy is recovering, markets are doing well (except for that damn ARKK)
2) Worse of the pandemic looks to be behind us
3) Has made progress repairing relations with allies
4) Not final, but seems to have a win with bipartisanship infrastructure (I'm not optimistic about the other $3.5T he wants though)
5) No frakking stupid tweets every 2-3 days that causes unnecessary wtfs

There are things I'm not happy with (e.g. legal/illegal immigration policy, China stance seems to be the old Trump stuff, Hunter stuff wtf is going on there etc.) but yeah, he's probably a 7 or 8 out of 10 for me right now.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-17-2021 at 05:43 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:50 AM   #2738
Ksyrup

Kamala has some Clintonesque hate out there from conservative fence sitters too. I suppose it's just her liberal track record as I really don't know much about her, but I heard enough venom-spitting at her VP nomination that I think she'd be a sure loser as a presidential candidate.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:00 AM   #2739
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

She's 1/2 black. The math isn't too hard.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:06 AM   #2740
Kodos
Resident Alien

And a woman. Lot of people don’t want a woman in power.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:07 AM   #2741
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
She's 1/2 black. The math isn't too hard.
She's half black and a woman to complete the equation.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:09 AM   #2742
GrantDawg

Quote:
You are way too pessimistic. Sounds like what people were saying this time last year about Biden. Not only will Biden run in 2024, but I bet he wins. Especially if it's against some moron like Desantis.
It is not pessimism. Joe is showing his age now. Three years from now after having the toughest job in the world weighing down on him? If he is the best candidate, that is a really sad statement for the Democratic party.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:26 AM   #2743
Flasch186
Coordinator

No chance Biden runs again

Around here we’re only a few weeks away from Pelosi and Harris invoking an article that claims Biden is not of sound mind and we have Harris as President.

I mean that’s what I’ve been told since day 1 and I’m certain it’ll come true because the proponents of that theory would never want to admit that they were wrong… which they always go back to the place they spread the bullshit and clarify that they were wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:31 AM   #2744
Edward64
Head Coach

The Biden-FB tiff is interesting.

I don't know why Biden is being so aggressive vs FB. I get FB can do better but seems to me Biden will get more cooperation with behind the scenes vs directly confronting FB.

(If that's been tried already, didn't see it in the news).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:19 AM   #2745
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
She's half black and a woman to complete the equation.

Eh, I get it generally, but there are some specific people I've talked to for whom neither of those things would be an issue.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:41 AM   #2746
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I do think Desantis is at his peak. If it isn't Trump, I expect it will be someone we're not focused on now.

I kind of worry about the Dakota Gov Noem running.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #2747
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

Her problem will be there will be not an insignificant number of people in her party that won't vote for her because she's a woman. She's also not Trump in any way and would likely lose a large percentage of the Trump or stay home voters.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:58 AM   #2748
Galaril
Pro Starter

For the Dems.... sure Joe could run and if against Trump win easily. I think it would be a toss up against anyone else due to the gerrymandering stuff. I wonder if California Gov Newsom beats the recall and gets reelected Gov next year if he would run. I could get behind him.

Last edited by Galaril : 07-18-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:47 PM   #2749
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

GOP elites, almost all of whom are vaccinated, are going to encourage anti-vax sentiment, watch people get sick and die, and then blame it all on Biden's failure.

I'm not sure I've ever seen anything as cynical.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:49 PM   #2750
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

She certainly wants it, but lots of small state pols before her got destroyed when they faced serious attention for the first time.