Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-16-2017, 12:14 AM   #2501
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, how many times during the primary were Dems giddy that Trump was going to destroy the Republican party and give them a landslide, and then during the election they were giddy with every scandal that was going to destroy the Trump candidacy and give Clinton a landslide, this is no different.

Republicans have both houses and have a president who will implement any legislation they can possibly dream of, who doesn't give a flying shit about precedent or balance of power. Sure the headlines are going to be embarrassing for 4 years but 48% of the country will vote for and support Mickey Mouse if he's wearing their teams colors. This is absolutely the best of worlds for them.

There is absolutely zero chance Trump goes at the behest of his own party. Who is standing up to him? He was right during the primary, he could shoot somebody and he'd still get a majority of the party supporting him and get the support of his base.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:35 AM   #2502
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Today in Everything is a Con News:

Shithead Marlins Owner Jeffrey Loria is to be named ambassador to France just conveniently after he's allegedly agreed to sell the team to Ivanka's brother-in-law(who basically doesn't have much actual cash money)

Last edited by stevew : 02-16-2017 at 02:36 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:11 AM   #2503
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
That's a question that I've thought about some. It partially boils down to percentages, of course, but the other real issue is the potential loss of positions within the industry. I'm now hearing rumors that World Relief may get *hammered* by this both short-term and long-term. i.e. They have to cut positions now due to loss of funding, and then if the flow actually does resume, they have a *much* harder time recruiting quality people to work for them because potential employees are concerned that the President might decide to do this again.
https://www.worldrelief.org/press-re...ents-in-the-us
Old 02-16-2017, 05:24 AM   #2504
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Where are your Cards Against Humanity skills?

Comeon on...

Everybody!

Step 4........

Step 4: Pee pee party?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #2505
bob
College Starter

Can someone explain exactly what the charges for impeachment would be for Trump. And not just "treason"... what's the exact provable charge that could be brought.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:05 AM   #2507
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Today in Everything is a Con News:

Shithead Marlins Owner Jeffrey Loria is to be named ambassador to France just conveniently after he's allegedly agreed to sell the team to Ivanka's brother-in-law(who basically doesn't have much actual cash money)

Does anyone really believe that America the plutocracy just started in 2017 under Trump? I mean I guess I'm glad that the fans of the other side are coming around to reality after 8 years (when they had spent the 2001-2008 years complaining) Don't get me wrong it isn't a good thing and Trump has such contempt for the little people that he doesn't even attempt to hide it. But I would love to see the world where these ambassador positions were going to the 30 year coal mine worker, or the retired inner city school teacher, or the marine who lost his leg in Iraq. They are gifts to the players of the big game. Have been for some time...

Senate confirms Obama donors as ambassadors | TheHill

The Would-Be Ambassador To Norway Who Has Never Been There Himself : NPR

High Number of Ambassadorships Go to Bush Friends, Contributors - latimes
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:50 AM   #2508
bronconick
College Starter

Yeah, I think ambassadorships became little more than perks when travel and communications took seconds to hours instead of weeks.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #2509
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I still don't get what the upside is for Republicans to get rid of Trump. You're saying that there may not be any repercussions but not saying what they could possibly gain by doing it. Seems like a high risk, no reward scheme that comes from the left.

I think it only makes sense if they become convinced that eventually the scandals will be too extreme to ignore. If they believe this will happen eventually, sooner is better than later.

Of course if they are willing to put up with anything so long as Trump signs legislation, the status quo will work for them.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #2510
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Yeah, I think ambassadorships became little more than perks when travel and communications took seconds to hours instead of weeks.

Yes, you said it a lot less snarky than I did. I'm sure Ben Franklin probably had a lot more to do as Ambassador to France in the 1700's than Jeffrey Loria does in 2017. Though my guess is even back in the 1700/1800's these positions were given to those in positions of power and influence. I'm sure the board's historians can pinpoint the presidency where they started to become ceremonial and go to the high bidders but I think we can all agree it didn't start with Trump.

Which brings me back to where I always stand on Trump. Complain about serious problems with his presidency all you want but when my social media is flooded with "issues" like the ambassador one or the shocking fact that the large corporations are getting his ear while the local St. Louis businessman is left to go at it on his own you will get a snarky plutocracy comment. You can't fight every battle and this stuff is not just starting in 2017 with Trump. This has been America for quite some time.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #2511
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Can someone explain exactly what the charges for impeachment would be for Trump. And not just "treason"... what's the exact provable charge that could be brought.

Well in the words of Gerald Ford (paraphrased), grounds for impeachment are what the majority of Congress thinks they are at the given time. And there's not exactly a full body of law to review. So, yeah?
Old 02-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #2512
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Impeachment is given for "high crimes and misdemeanors (which I assume to be 'high' misdemeanors)". The definition of 'high' has never been determined, so basically, as digamma points out, it's whatever Congress determines to that to be.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #2513
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Cheeto-in-chief is holding a 2020 campaign rally on Saturday.

So, since we're in the middle of a campaign, Mitch McConnell should probably hold off on any action on Gorsuch, right?
Old 02-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #2514
Kodos
Resident Alien

Old 02-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #2515
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
So, since we're in the middle of a campaign, Mitch McConnell should probably hold off on any action on Gorsuch, right?

With Trump campaigning and there also being a declared opposition candidate in Kanye they should definitely leave the decision up to the people and hold off on any hearings until 2021. It's just be inappropriate to vote on a nominee in the middle of a campaign.

Last edited by mckerney : 02-16-2017 at 09:33 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #2516
mckerney
Coordinator

FBI arrests man in Myrtle Beach allegedly planning attack 'in th - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

A planned terrorist attack was stopped by the FBI, hopefully we can get a travel ban to stop people from people leaving South Carolina until we can figure out what the hell is going on there.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #2517
Easy Mac

All of the things he's saying he's done is "we stopped this, we repealed that, we backed out of this..." So that's not doing anything, that's literally the opposite of doing something.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #2518
Easy Mac

Seriously, he sounds drugged in his conference today.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #2519
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

With at least semi-competent people like Harward, Acosta, Kelly, etc as replacement nominees, I'm wondering who is pulling the strings now.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #2520
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
With at least semi-competent people like Harward, Acosta, Kelly, etc as replacement nominees, I'm wondering who is pulling the strings now.

Yeah. It's surprising how much more qualified the replacements are than the initial nominees. Acosta is a very good selection for Labor Secretary (at least with the knowledge we have so far).
Old 02-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #2521
digamma
Torchbearer

"Are they friends of yours?"
Old 02-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #2522
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
"Are they friends of yours?"
That guarantee of 95% of the black vote might be in a little jeopardy...
Old 02-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #2523
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
FBI arrests man in Myrtle Beach allegedly planning attack 'in th - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

A planned terrorist attack was stopped by the FBI, hopefully we can get a travel ban to stop people from people leaving South Carolina until we can figure out what the hell is going on there.

Well this obviously hits pretty close to home for me. Thank God the guy was pretty stupid and was found by the FBI before he could do any harm. Don't worry Mckerney, I'm not leaving SC anytime soon
Old 02-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #2524
larrymcg421
Head Coach

So Trump didn't know the Congressional Black Caucus existed, assumed a black reporter would know them, and thought a reporter would be in charge of setting up a meeting between the President and members of Congress.

I don't know why any of that just happened. Obviously, it can't be stupidity, because as we recently have been reminded, Trump is a super duper intelligent businessman and this all must be part of some amazing secret plan he has concocted.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #2525
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
That guarantee of 95% of the black vote might be in a little jeopardy...

As a white person, I can understand why that would offend an African American. And I figured that would get a lot of play on twitter.

If I may, as a white liberal, explain what I think he meant (so black-man-splaining I guess). I think he asked if she knew them simply because the way she was asking made it feel like she had been in contact with the Congressional Black Caucus (Trump had no idea what the CBC was) and that he needed to start a dialog with them regarding whatever he wants to do with Historical Black Colleges & Universities (HBCU, this time he might have been told that abbreviation an hour before). He was saying that he wanted to, but that the Caucus wanted nothing to do with him (as evidenced by his discussion on not getting the meeting with the black Congressman whose name I forgot because I'm about 32% racist). Therefore, since it seemed like she had an in, he thought he would be cutesy and ask her to help. I can't think for even a second that it crossed his mind that it would be interpreted as "all black people know all black people" (although that appears to be what all rich white people think).

So I'll tepidly defend him as just being dumb in the moment, not being overtly racist. If you look at other answers to questions, he seems to be just be really bad at responding to questions that can't be easily distilled into quips/campaign slogans.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #2526
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Well this obviously hits pretty close to home for me. Thank God the guy was pretty stupid and was found by the FBI before he could do any harm. Don't worry Mckerney, I'm not leaving SC anytime soon

My wife is in San Antonio right now, is she going to be deported by to SC immediately or jailed.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #2527
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
My wife is in San Antonio right now, is she going to be deported by to SC immediately or jailed.

Better get a Lawyer on call....
Old 02-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #2528
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As a white person, I can understand why that would offend an African American. And I figured that would get a lot of play on twitter.

If I may, as a white liberal, explain what I think he meant (so black-man-splaining I guess). I think he asked if she knew them simply because the way she was asking made it feel like she had been in contact with the Congressional Black Caucus (Trump had no idea what the CBC was) and that he needed to start a dialog with them regarding whatever he wants to do with Historical Black Colleges & Universities (HBCU, this time he might have been told that abbreviation an hour before). He was saying that he wanted to, but that the Caucus wanted nothing to do with him (as evidenced by his discussion on not getting the meeting with the black Congressman whose name I forgot because I'm about 32% racist). Therefore, since it seemed like she had an in, he thought he would be cutesy and ask her to help. I can't think for even a second that it crossed his mind that it would be interpreted as "all black people know all black people" (although that appears to be what all rich white people think).

So I'll tepidly defend him as just being dumb in the moment, not being overtly racist. If you look at other answers to questions, he seems to be just be really bad at responding to questions that can't be easily distilled into quips/campaign slogans.

To be honest, I'm more offended by the stupidity than any racism. How is it that he didn't know who the Congressional Black Caucus was? And after that, why didn't anyone tell him? Maybe they assumed that of course he knew about the CBC? It didn't seem like he had any idea though.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #2529
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Better get a Lawyer on call....

I'm in a lawyer's office already... I've been incepted!
Old 02-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #2530
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
To be honest, I'm more offended by the stupidity than any racism. How is it that he didn't know who the Congressional Black Caucus was? And after that, why didn't anyone tell him? Maybe they assumed that of course he knew about the CBC? It didn't seem like he had any idea though.

If we being honest, you're offended at everything he does.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #2531
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Attacking the media plays well with his base. A bunch of WA Post reporters saying "That press conference was crazy" is only going to boost his numbers.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #2532
QuikSand
lolzcat

wow what a day
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #2533
Ben E Lou

Quote:

Oh, I wasn't offended, nor do I think he was being overtly racist. (And of course, I lol'ed at the 95% comment when he said it, and chuckle about it all that time.) I just found it funny.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #2534
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I didn't see the press conference, but I just read the blow by blow of it on the Washington post website. I laughed at several points, particularly when Trump said he's not raving and that the U.S. and Russia would create "a great nuclear holocaust."

And then I sobered up cuz I remembered he is the President.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-16-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #2535
Easy Mac

I liked when he said that he read stuff about the how bad it would be if there was a nuclear holocaust and how people should read it.

Really... we've all seen The Day After and read Clifford books... we know what a nuclear holocaust would be like.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #2536
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Really... we've all seen The Day After and read Clifford books... we know what a nuclear holocaust would be like.

Giant, red dogs everywhere.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #2537
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:

I'm not offended that he didn't know what the CBC is. Surprised, but not offended. Similar to how he seemed to not know who Fredrick Douglass was. I probably would've been more surprised if he knew who they were and had met with them already.

The comments about him believing all Black people know all Black people is just dumb. He may think that, but I don't think this derives from that belief.

Overall, there's just too much embellishment on both sides to make their narrative more provocative. Just report what happens. There's enough craziness going on that there's no need to enhance it.

Last edited by rjolley : 02-16-2017 at 03:16 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #2538
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Giant, red dogs everywhere.

Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #2539
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

I have barely mentioned Trump going ons this last month to my gov/econ students. I feel most of what I would be doing is reacting to things. I feel it is my job to offer perspective, when possible.

That being said, I d not think I will be able to hold back on this exchange:

QUESTION: you said today that you have big intellectual margins (inaudible) 300 or more (ph), or 350 (ph) electoral (ph) votes. President Obama about 365

TRUMP: Yeah.

QUESTION: Obama 426... So why should Americans...

TRUMP: ...I'm skipping that information, I don't know, I was just given (ph) we had a very, very big margin.

QUESTION: why should Americans trust you the information?

TRUMP: Well, I don't know, I was given that information. I was given -- I actually, I've seen that information around. But it was a very substantial victory, do you agree with that?
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #2540
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Attacking the media plays well with his base. A bunch of WA Post reporters saying "That press conference was crazy" is only going to boost his numbers.

His approval ratings do not paint the picture of a winning strategy.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #2541
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
His approval ratings do not paint the picture of a winning strategy.

Except that approval ratings are largely meaningless, since he's already in office.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #2542
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

But, yea, to albion's point, the numbers don't necessarily support that this appeals to his base.

At least not approval ratings. But it is also questionable how applicable those numbers are, he can have low overall approval ratings and yet still find a lot of support in his base. So technically you could both be correct.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #2543
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I disagree. If the approval ratings were flipped I doubt the Russia story would be swaying as many GOP Senators. It might also change how things are going with his cabinet. Trump is already toxic enough that members of his own party are willing to attack him.

Don't forget, we're a month in and the WH hasn't done anything concerning legislation. That's shocking given total GOP control and the fact that most meaningful legislation comes in a President's first year.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #2544
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
But, yea, to albion's point, the numbers don't necessarily support that this appeals to his base.

At least not approval ratings. But it is also questionable how applicable those numbers are, he can have low overall approval ratings and yet still find a lot of support in his base. So technically you could both be correct.

I think he's still very popular with 35-40%, but given the freak nature of his win, he can't afford to lose support. He didn't start with any cushion.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #2545
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
You know what uranium is, right? It’s this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #2546
Atocep
Coordinator

I don't even know how a good portion of his base could look at today's press conference and be confident in our president.

The possibility that he's playing some master game above everyone's head is rather remote at this point.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #2547
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
25th Amendment, Section 4. Get familiar with it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #2548
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Harward Turns Down Trump Offer
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #2549
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I don't even know how a good portion of his base could look at today's press conference and be confident in our president.

The possibility that he's playing some master game above everyone's head is rather remote at this point.

They are incredibly stupid.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #2550
lungs
Pro Rookie

So far the reaction I've seen in some of my circle of deplorables is that today's press conference was fantastic. Trump really shoots from the hip and that's what we need!
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote