Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #751
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I just finished the Assassin's Quest earlier this summer, and The Liveship Traders is next on my list. I'm currently in the middle of the "Red Seas Under Red Skies", the follow up to the "Lies of Locke Lamora". I'm enjoying both of these authors, while I wait for Brandon Sanderson to complete the Wheel of Time and get back to the Stormlight Archive.

On top of that some friends have loaned me the first several of R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt novels. They are intriguing if not near as good as the rest of what I read.

I missed this when it was posted months ago. Glengoyne, did you end up getting to the Liveship Traders? I have now read the follow up trilogy to the first Assassins trilogy, and I enjoyed it. There are definitely some things to take from the Liveship Traders trilogy that enhances reading the Tawny Man trilogy.

Interesting that you go to the Locke Lamora series. I loved those books, but it seems the author had some issues and kinda went off the deep end for a bit there. Last I checked the third book in the series is currently set for release in September 2013, but that is after having been pushed back several times. Which is a shame, because the storyline for that one looks terrific. I certainly hope he is finishing that one and will return to regular publishing soon.

Usually, you have to have some long-established success before you can get away with the George R.R. Martin publication schedule.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #752
cadmus2166
Mascot

I am nearing the end of The Girl Who Played With Fire, the 2nd book in the The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. I absolutely love this series, it's a shame that Steig Larsson passed away before writing more. Lisbeth Salander may be one of the best characters ever created by anyone in the history of books.
cadmus2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #753
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Picked up The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo by Tom Reiss last night.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #754
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Started reading American Gods yesterday.

I am very confused by this book.

Spoiler

I'm not sure I can read any more of this book. It is not very engaging.

Spoiler

Is it going to get interesting at any point?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #755
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm not sure I can read any more of this book. It is not very engaging.

Spoiler

Is it going to get interesting at any point?

I gave up on the book when I read it a couple years ago. Just was boring to me.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #756
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

To each their own. I actually enjoyed it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #757
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Although I will say that my enjoyment was from the interesting characters involved. The story itself seemed rather aimless and all over the place. I was never quite sure where it was going or what the point was.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #758
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Although I will say that my enjoyment was from the interesting characters involved. The story itself seemed rather aimless and all over the place. I was never quite sure where it was going or what the point was.

I'm with Chief on this one. I loved the hell out of the book, but it was more a character-driven love than a story-driven one. I was very curious to see where Gaiman was taking it, but it was a pretty random journey.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #759
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I decided to re-read the Dragonlance Dragons series...just wanted a decent and fun fantasy read, plus they are out on the kindle now.

I've recently been amusing myself with Weis' and Hickman's follow-ups to the Chronicles series, the Lost Chronicles. They basically tell the behind-the-scenes stuff that you don't see in the original series: Kitiara, Laurana and Raistlin seem to be the main focus. It's good, light, fun fantasy.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #760
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW I really enjoyed Rothfuss "The Name of the Wind" and "Wise Man's Fear". Not alot of action but great character development. I think if you liked Hobb, you will also like Rothfuss.

Currently reading "Red Country" by Joe Ambercrombie. 5th book in his world. If you guys like gritty action, you should like Ambercrombie.

I'm also a Zombie fan so have JL Bourne's third book on order.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #761
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I've recently been amusing myself with Weis' and Hickman's follow-ups to the Chronicles series, the Lost Chronicles. They basically tell the behind-the-scenes stuff that you don't see in the original series: Kitiara, Laurana and Raistlin seem to be the main focus. It's good, light, fun fantasy.

I was excited to try these, and read the first one but couldn't stomach any more. I don't remember exactly why but I think I was very disappointed by the writing. The mystery of what Raistlin was up to when he disappeared off the ship in the original stories has been of great interest to me since I was in elementary school, yet I still couldn't bring myself to read their take on it.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #762
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I was excited to try these, and read the first one but couldn't stomach any more. I don't remember exactly why but I think I was very disappointed by the writing. The mystery of what Raistlin was up to when he disappeared off the ship in the original stories has been of great interest to me since I was in elementary school, yet I still couldn't bring myself to read their take on it.

It's not nearly on the same level as the original Chronicles, but I wonder how much of that is because of how old I was when I first read those. I've re-read the Chronicles many, many times (literally wore the cover off Dragons of Autumn Twilight), and they still seem like much better books than the newer versions. I still love the universe and characters though, so they're entertaining.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #763
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

What the hell. I have a long recovery from surgery soon, so it's time. Bring on the Proust.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #764
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I missed this when it was posted months ago. Glengoyne, did you end up getting to the Liveship Traders? I have now read the follow up trilogy to the first Assassins trilogy, and I enjoyed it. There are definitely some things to take from the Liveship Traders trilogy that enhances reading the Tawny Man trilogy.

Interesting that you go to the Locke Lamora series. I loved those books, but it seems the author had some issues and kinda went off the deep end for a bit there. Last I checked the third book in the series is currently set for release in September 2013, but that is after having been pushed back several times. Which is a shame, because the storyline for that one looks terrific. I certainly hope he is finishing that one and will return to regular publishing soon.

Usually, you have to have some long-established success before you can get away with the George R.R. Martin publication schedule.

I did just finish the liveship Traders. I really enjoyed it. I think I would have jumped right into the Rain Wild Chronicles, if I hadn't done a bit of research to find that it wasn't centered on the characters in the Liveship series. Rather I jumped into Joe Abercrombie's latest, Red Country. Loving to get back to Logen.

Are you a Robin Hobb fan? I'm wondering where to go next after the Farseer and Liveship series. Is Tawny Man the next in chronological order or the Rainwild Chronicles?

Oh and on the Drizt novels...I'm really hard pressed to get through those. Just not cutting it for me.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #765
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I did just finish the liveship Traders. I really enjoyed it. I think I would have jumped right into the Rain Wild Chronicles, if I hadn't done a bit of research to find that it wasn't centered on the characters in the Liveship series. Rather I jumped into Joe Abercrombie's latest, Red Country. Loving to get back to Logen.

Are you a Robin Hobb fan? I'm wondering where to go next after the Farseer and Liveship series. Is Tawny Man the next in chronological order or the Rainwild Chronicles?

Oh and on the Drizt novels...I'm really hard pressed to get through those. Just not cutting it for me.

I have only read the Liveship Traders and the two Fitz-Chivalry trilogies by Hobb, although that's a lot of Hobb, so, yes, I am a fine.

I would read Tawny Man next, just because it definitely involves characters you have read about before (in the Assassins' trilogy).

I haven't read the Rain Wilds Chronicles yet, although I figured to eventually take a look at the remaining series in the world that Hobb has created here.

I haven't read the Drizt novels.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #766
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

I have held back on these, I will definitely have to take a peek though.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #767
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I completed the latest Jack Reacher A Wanted Man, which was another solid read.

BTW, the first half of the movie out right now is an excellent snapshot of who Reacher is and how he does stuff. Although the second half of the movie went more toward an action flick than the more intelligent (but still action-oriented) take the books tend to take.

I am currently reading Altar of Bones by Philip Carter, which is another entry in the Dan Brown/Steve Berry archae-history thrillers. I'm nearly done with it, and it's decent, although I don't know that it sets itself apart from the genre too much.

I have the next Alex Delaware novel Victims by Jonathan Kellerman on queue to read next.

After that, I am unsure where I will go for fictional reading. I may look for new scifi/fantasy, or I might read the latest SM Stirling if my bro gets it for me for Christmas (still possible, we meet up in January, and it's on my amazon list).

Old 12-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #768
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
FWIW I really enjoyed Rothfuss "The Name of the Wind" and "Wise Man's Fear". Not alot of action but great character development. I think if you liked Hobb, you will also like Rothfuss.

I also liked the first two books. Can't wait for the 3rd one to come out.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #769
Landshark44
High School Varsity

I just finished John Grishams "The Racketeer", and liked it.. Now I'm halfway through Dan Baldacci's "Zero Day"... Just Ok, for me...
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #770
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

I'm also a Zombie fan so have JL Bourne's third book on order.

Let me know if you like it. People seem to really hate the ending on Amazon.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #771
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
If you like the genre/concept of time travel and speculative fiction - here's a book that I'd really recommend, available on Kindle despite being out of print for some time:

Amazon.com: Replay: Ken Grimwood: Books

Sounds intriguing. Just bought the kindle edition.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #772
Groundhog
Coordinator

Read 'Replay' last year. Fantastic.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #773
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am currently reading Altar of Bones by Philip Carter, which is another entry in the Dan Brown/Steve Berry archae-history thrillers. I'm nearly done with it, and it's decent, although I don't know that it sets itself apart from the genre too much.

I finished Altar of Bones, and as expected, it more or less conforms to the genre. Decent read and interesting, but didn't go too far out of any boundaries.

I did find out, interestingly enough, that Philip Carter is a pseudonym for a "world reknowned writer" or some such. The Interwebs was scanty on who it is. The book had a passionate love scene in it, though, which is unusual for the genre, so I am going to guess the writer is either a female mystery writer or a romance novelist.

I started Victims by Kellerman (another Alex Delaware novel), and I am also at the same time reading one of those Time Life style huge magazines on US Special Forces (been pretty neat so far) and one of those novelty "science without the science" type books, which is also interesting to read (although, IMO, there is a lot more science in there than the title claims).

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-02-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #774
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I liked the "mythical" characters but Shadow was just really boring to me. The scope is what I liked the most but I'm a big fan of epics, even flawed ones, as long as they meet a certain baseline.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #775
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

What's the FOFC consensus (if there is one) on Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive)?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #776
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
What's the FOFC consensus (if there is one) on Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive)?

I loved it.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #777
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I loved it.

And then some.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #778
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Nice. I have a list of fantasy I wanted to start next so I think I'll start that. FWIW, my list was:

Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders, Rain Wilds, or The Soldier Son Trilogy
Raymond E. Feist's Magician: Apprentice
Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind
Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon
Robert Stanek's Rise of the Fallen
Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself

and as I mentioned, The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

To Sanderson I go.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #779
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Any consensus on The Sundering series by Jacqueline Carey? I'm intrigued by this idea of having the sympathetic main characters being what are traditionally thought of as the "bad" guys...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #780
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Read "Schools out forever" over the holiday period - its several books wrapped up in one and well worth a look imho.

Its a gritty post acopolypse style book with a twist - the concept is that 9 out of 10 people die from a plague. The idea is that the events of the books revolve around a small group of survivors at a boarding school ... this shows very much how pecking order etc. might happen in such circumstances and some of the moral quandaries which people would go through.

(final quarter of the book or so becomes increasingly 'pulp' but the first half is very very good)

Barnes and Noble - Schools out forever
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #781
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Best book I read in 2012. Can't wait for the next one.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #782
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Nice. I have a list of fantasy I wanted to start next so I think I'll start that. FWIW, my list was:

Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders, Rain Wilds, or The Soldier Son Trilogy
Raymond E. Feist's Magician: Apprentice
Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind
Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon
Robert Stanek's Rise of the Fallen
Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself

and as I mentioned, The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

To Sanderson I go.

If you haven't read Abercrombie, his stuff is the best out of all on that list IMO but you can't go wrong with any of them except Stanek, who is Goodkind-level bad.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #783
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Any consensus on The Sundering series by Jacqueline Carey? I'm intrigued by this idea of having the sympathetic main characters being what are traditionally thought of as the "bad" guys...

It's essentially a re-imagining of Silmarillion/LOTR from the perspective of Melkor/Morgoth and his lieutenants . I really enjoyed it because the writing is strong and the protagonists are well done and compelling, if not completely sympathetic.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #784
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
except Stanek, who is Goodkind-level bad.

After looking at it, no idea why it was on my list. Sounds terrible.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #785
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

More love for Joe Abercrombie's stuff. Outstanding.

I just finished 1633, the sequel to 1632. Very entertaining, and the series overall is an interesting concept in fiction writing.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #786
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's essentially a re-imagining of Silmarillion/LOTR from the perspective of Melkor/Morgoth and his lieutenants . I really enjoyed it because the writing is strong and the protagonists are well done and compelling, if not completely sympathetic.

That's what it sorta sounded like from the description and i saw it on some list. Glad to hear it, I'll have to check it out now!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #787
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If you haven't read Abercrombie, his stuff is the best out of all on that list IMO but you can't go wrong with any of them except Stanek, who is Goodkind-level bad.

Glad to see two things here.

One is the love for Abercrombie, though I'm not sure I'd say his stuff is better than The Way of Kings.

Two is the hatred of Goodkind. I read about four or five of his big series before I woke up and realized what dreck it actually was. I guess I was just young.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #788
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Let me know if you like it. People seem to really hate the ending on Amazon.

Finished Lights out yesterday and finished JL Bourne's Shattered Hourglass just now.

It was enjoyable to a point. Haven't read the other Amazon reviews but the ending was definitely way too quickly done. I didn't mind the result of the ending itself but the story telling was rushed, another 50-100 pages to tell it all would have been good.

Still on the Zombie kick, have Holding Their Own and Apocalypse Z next on my list.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #789
Landshark44
High School Varsity

I just finished reading "Replay", recommended in this thread a few pages back. I loved it. Can't stop thinking about it...

Can anyone recommend some more "time-travelly" type books ...
Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #790
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
I just finished reading "Replay", recommended in this thread a few pages back. I loved it. Can't stop thinking about it...

Flashforward
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #791
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:

Stephen King's latest 11/22/63
Old 01-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #792
Landshark44
High School Varsity

ok, i'll check them out. 11/22/63 seemed to get a lot of mixed reviews in this thread... was on the fence with it...

thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #793
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I just finished my first Jack Reacher novel. I've got to say I'm a little under whelmed. To me, it just didn't live up to the hype.

I've read some of John Gilstrap's stuff, starting with No Mercy. I think Gilstrap's Jonathan Graves out Reachers Reacher by a significant measure. Now I'm going to go check out Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp, as he and Reacher seem to be the two big names in the genre. If you enjoy these books, do yourself a favor and check out Gilstrap.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #794
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Which one did you read?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #795
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Which one did you read?

The Killing Floor.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #796
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
ok, i'll check them out. 11/22/63 seemed to get a lot of mixed reviews in this thread... was on the fence with it...

thanks

I really liked 11/22/63. Just approach it as a time travelling story and not a JFK assassination story and I think you'll like it just fine.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #797
whomario
Pro Starter

Just finished Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch, pretty much the best book iīve read in months
On the face of it itīs a historic novel and a road-story set in 19th Century London as well as in the Age of Whaling (and succeeds in bringing both to life), but itīs also full of little observations on life, friendship and the human mind that are timeless.

The style of writing is a teeny bit like in "Life of Pi" and thereīs some obvious similarities with Melville and Dickens, but itīs only around the edges with the core of the story being something unique all in itself.

Oh, and itīs not sugar coating things as they transpire and the main difference to Life of Pie is a certain "matter of fact" way of telling itīs horrifying events.

A definite must read imo
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 01-28-2013 at 08:33 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #798
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I still need to get my hands on another copy of Slaughterhouse Five.

Hey, I finally got around to finishing this.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #799
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

On a huge Guy Gavriel Kay kick at the moment. Recently finished Tigana and loved the hell out of it. Interesting premise in that the story is about memory, and the obliteration of a culture based upon renaming something. Between this and The Lions of Al Rassan (read and enjoyed, but didn't love, his most famous work, the Fionavar Tapestry series), I have put him way up on my list.

Currently listening to the Audiobook for Shantaram - a semi-fantastical (in a hard-to-believe this is entirely true sense, not a fantasy setting sense) autobiography of an Australian who is an escaped convict from New Zealand, living in India. Incredible story so far, and the audio book performance is simply stunning. Very well written (at times it feels like the author is trying too hard, but those times are few and far between), there are several turns-of-phrase that I have really enjoyed. I would highly recommend this, and especially in audio book format.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 12-20-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #800
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Hey, I finally got around to finishing this.

I finally read this, too, about a month ago. It was excellent (of course, given it is a classic). I love Vonnegut's style and his comedic touch in this.