Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2022, 09:59 AM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Advice needed: Son wants gaming laptop

My 17-year-old son wants to buy himself a gaming laptop. He has roughly $1,000 to spend. As many of you have picked up from my comments over the years, I am not a computer gamer. I have always been a console guy. I like the convenience that consoles offer. I'm generally good at purchasing non-gaming laptops, but with this I'm at a loss.

I know that desktops are better as a rule for gaming computers, but my son wants to be able to take it with him to his friends' houses or when we go on vacation. My plan is to set him up with a vertical stand for the laptop that at least helps keep it cool. Here is the laptop that he found on his own on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-M...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I'm sure there are better options out there if we built a customized laptop. It looks like the one he picked is a refurbished computer (which I always shy away from). Honestly, I'd like to keep it simple. If there is a good site to configure a laptop where they construct it and send it to you, that'd be good. I don't want to be trying to assemble anything myself.

I asked what sort of games he wants to play. He didn't list any specific games, just gave me a generic "PS5-level" games answer. So I think he just wants to be able to play modern games on a computer that won't bog down or crash. I don't think he needs to be able to max out the settings for a given game. He just wants to be able to play the games without massive slowdown and crashes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:22 AM   #2
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I have been out of the gaming laptop realm for a long time, but I can tell you that for $1000 you should be able to aim higher than a GTX 1650. For example, here is one I see at Best Buy that has what I assume is a more powerful (laptop version) of the 3060. And it's $850.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-gf6...?skuId=6456144

If he's not going to be wanting to hook up his own mouse and keyboard it might be worth getting something he could test out at a local store. Touchpad and keyboard on laptops are pretty important if you are going to be using them. I think a local store would be better to deal with when it comes to possible returns and warranty as well. I'm not sure about that third party seller on Amazon you linked to.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:40 AM   #3
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

GPU is always the primary thing when it comes to gaming. Here is an example of how the 3060 would compare to that junk in the HP.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...52971vsm775280

I think 3060 is probably the highest you could aim at $1000. Otherwise, next best is 3050 Ti, then 3050 when it comes to current gen. A 2080 would be better than those, but doubt you could find anything new with that and it wouldn't be in your range.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:54 AM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

I've been a pure laptop gamer for over 15 years. I take it everywhere I go, and I've shopped for them just about every 3 years. Prices are a bit high right now, but a good search on New Egg turns up some much better systems that the one your son found. The graphics card in that system, as is everything else besides the main CPU is about 3 years old. I'd rather have a new graphics card, some memory and an older CPU for a better gaming system.

So here's a couple that I found on NewEgg:

Are you a human?

Are you a human?

MSI and Acer are very similar brands, I've had good luck with Acer, but I'm also currently using an HP Omen too.

I'd look for an RTX 3050, at least 16gb of system memory, a core i5 minimum, and look for an SSD with at least 1GB of storage space. As you can see, you can get those in that $1000 price range.

Here's another with some smaller SSD's, but they have larger regular HD's for storage (actually the same set up I run; smaller SSD for the OS, and larger HD for storage)

Are you a human?

And this one is a 17inch if you like that, but I don't care for hauling the larger size around because of how much I travel. It's also slightly more expensive.

Are you a human?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:15 PM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

Awesome. Thanks for the links and advice, guys. I will definitely check them out.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:38 PM   #6
PilotMan
Head Coach

Hey Kodos, don't know if you guys are still looking, but I ran across this 17inch on Amazon today for a fair price and on sale.

17 inch is bigger than I like to haul around, but if it's going to mostly be on a desk than I think it'll be just fine.

https://smile.amazon.com/Acer-AN517-...706_dt_sl15_53

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 12:39 AM   #7
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Step 1: Go to computer store
Step 2: Buy gaming laptop
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:15 AM   #8
Jan135
n00b

Acer Nitro 5 is great! I've been using for a month and I can definetly recommend it. All the new games are just flying on it. Do note that it heats up pretty rapidly.
Jan135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 11:52 AM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

Thanks for the advice and links, guys. Right now, my son is leaning toward getting a steam deck instead. Anyone have good/bad experience with one? This guy seemed to like it for the most part.

Steam Deck review | PC Gamer

Last edited by Kodos : 03-16-2022 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:08 PM   #10
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan135 View Post
Acer Nitro 5 is great! I've been using for a month and I can definetly recommend it. All the new games are just flying on it. Do note that it heats up pretty rapidly.

I have an Acer Nitro 5 laptop that is three years old. It still runs very well (played Civ6 and a few other games on it). However, about a week ago the two plastic pieces of the laptop lid became detached from one another on the right side. I have no idea how common or uncommon of a problem this is. It is still working fine but I do have to be very careful whenever I open and close my laptop now. Long term, I'm concerned about my screen because of this.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote