Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2021, 09:15 AM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

FOF Great Debate II: Move Stud Safeties to Corner

This will be a series of threads designed to provoke debate about a matter in the FOF 8 game, around which there appears to be some uncertainty. We will pose the topic as a statement, and invite your responses to start with either PRO or CON, as you indicate whether you agree, or disagree, with the stated assertion.

Today's statement for debate:

Move Stud Safeties to Corner. The game seems to generate a wide range of skill sets among its rookie DBs. Some have weight issues, but many can move freely across the positions. Even if it's "unrealistic," the benefits of a top-end DB playing lock-down corner are greater than any safety role, so ... move stud safeties to corner.

Respond in this thread, please, starting with a clear statement in all caps of your position, PRO or CON.

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:48 PM   #2
MIJB#19
Coordinator

CON

The funniest part is that I'm going to make an argument against what I would probably do in this situation, but there are two reasons to consider (not) moving* from S to CB here.

skillset
if a safety is on the upside in M2M and BnR, but low on ZoneD, he's a prime suspect for me to move to CB; but if the player is high on RunD, ZoneD, Play diagnosis I want him to stick at playing safety. A stud S is usually high on these latter skills, hence, I want him to contribute more. A side effect for a S to Cb switched with high BnR and M2M bars will be a higher rated player, which will actually have a negative effect on the second consideration.

cap figure
It appear that highly rated CBs ask for more money than highly rated Ss, which makes it a cap unfriendly move to switch your best DB from S to CB. In a way, it might be better to instead position switch your stud CB to S and come out with a more cap friendly secondary. Obviously a non-issue in the first 3 or 4 seasons, but down the road, it will matter.

* I'm working under the assumption here that a move here isn't just playing the S at a CB slot but actually position switching him. There might be too little penalty for playing out of position to counter the negative effects mentioned above, but I'm one that still want to make the actual position switch if it makes sense. Perhaps just to help myself remember that I want the player to player at his 'natural' position.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
CON

The funniest part is that I'm going to make an argument against what I would probably do in this situation, but there are two reasons to consider (not) moving* from S to CB here.

skillset
if a safety is on the upside in M2M and BnR, but low on ZoneD, he's a prime suspect for me to move to CB; but if the player is high on RunD, ZoneD, Play diagnosis I want him to stick at playing safety. A stud S is usually high on these latter skills, hence, I want him to contribute more. A side effect for a S to Cb switched with high BnR and M2M bars will be a higher rated player, which will actually have a negative effect on the second consideration.

cap figure
It appear that highly rated CBs ask for more money than highly rated Ss, which makes it a cap unfriendly move to switch your best DB from S to CB. In a way, it might be better to instead position switch your stud CB to S and come out with a more cap friendly secondary. Obviously a non-issue in the first 3 or 4 seasons, but down the road, it will matter.

* I'm working under the assumption here that a move here isn't just playing the S at a CB slot but actually position switching him. There might be too little penalty for playing out of position to counter the negative effects mentioned above, but I'm one that still want to make the actual position switch if it makes sense. Perhaps just to help myself remember that I want the player to player at his 'natural' position.

Would you switch Bucky Hruby to safety? I drafted him with that intention, but then noticed that the rest of my CBs are getting kindof old.

LCB Bucky Hruby Player Details
Old 03-31-2021, 03:54 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

CON

I'd move Hruby to safety, and I think a stud safety is underrated in this game.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:00 PM   #5
cuervo72
Head Coach

I always liked stud safeties.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:07 PM   #6
jbpostbot
n00b

what better cb or safety
jbpostbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:28 PM   #7
JPhillips
General Manager

This is the best parody account.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:39 PM   #8
John Travolta
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
This is the best parody account.

Whoa. This calls for a Face/Off.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:45 PM   #9
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Would you switch Bucky Hruby to safety? I drafted him with that intention, but then noticed that the rest of my CBs are getting kindof old.

LCB Bucky Hruby Player Details
I might consider that (drafting him with the intent to move to SS) with a profile like that, but endurance could be an issue here. Hruby could be your CB3/nickelback. I recently moved a S to CB (turned out to be top3 guy at that position), but it was a result of already having an stud S and two very serviceable ones to split time at FS.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:20 PM   #10
Pyser
Pro Rookie

CON

Safeties are underrated, agreed. I think it comes down to size and bar distribution. CB's are more valuable in my mind, but good S's are big part of the equation.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:51 PM   #11
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Travolta View Post
Whoa. This calls for a Face/Off.

You're still alive!!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:22 AM   #12
tzach
High School JV