Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2014, 01:58 AM   #701
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
What a crazy bizarre finish in the sunday night game.

Could be homer from Pedroia, needs review, confirmed as a double (fan touched the ball right near the line on the monster seats). Then the Orioles Catcher loses sight of the ball even though it's five feet away.. they end up giving Ortiz a semi-intentional walk. Then Napoli gets hit by a pitch (I legit thought he broke his leg, the sound was that massive).. so the bases were loaded.

Then the pinch hitter, Carp hits a liner to short left. Pedroia has to run back to the bag, and may or may not have still been on the bag when the ball was caught.. then he takes a couple steps toward home plate, and the LF throws home as Pedroia heads back to third.. except the throw is very wild and wraps around the backstop, and Pedroia races home with the winning run.. while Showalter attempts to challenge that Pedroia left early (that kind of play is not reviewable)

Bizarre Bizarre Bizarre.

That's an appeal play if he thinks Pedroia left early. Unless he appealed to third and was denied, he is a dumbass for arguing for a review instead of...keeping the players on the field and having the pitcher throw over to third. There is no reason for him to ask for a review, reviewable or not, unless he does that first.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #702
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Does advancing the game like that eliminate replay, though? In football, as soon as the ball is snapped for the next play you're SOL. How is that written in to the baseball replay? The "timely manner" part of the rule?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 PM   #703
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mets just turned one of the sickest double plays you will ever see.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #704
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Mets just turned one of the sickest double plays you will ever see.

Those uniforms are pretty disgusting...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #705
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
That's an appeal play if he thinks Pedroia left early. Unless he appealed to third and was denied, he is a dumbass for arguing for a review instead of...keeping the players on the field and having the pitcher throw over to third. There is no reason for him to ask for a review, reviewable or not, unless he does that first.

I didn't see any appeal, but Showalter thought he had the right to ask the umps for a review:

Left fielder David Lough was charged with a throwing error on the final play of the game when his throw home after catching the second out of the ninth inning was wide of the plate and bounced to the backstop, allowing Dustin Pedroia — who was shuffling between third base and home plate — time to score the winning run to prompt a celebration at home in front of what remained of an announced 33,947.

Orioles manager Buck Showalter, the beneficiary of one umpire-initiated review in the inning, remained on the field to argue for another review to confirm whether Pedroia tagged at third, but he wasn't granted it.

“If he tagged up properly, and if the other two people had tagged up going to the next base,” Showalter said of his appeal for a review. “It's a timing play, though, on the trailers. So, no shot there. Plus you can't appeal a tag. Go figure. They've got some really strange rules. That will change, too, going forward.”
Old 04-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #706
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Does advancing the game like that eliminate replay, though? In football, as soon as the ball is snapped for the next play you're SOL. How is that written in to the baseball replay? The "timely manner" part of the rule?

Yes, if you're going to appeal, it has to be before the next pitch is thrown. In the case of Pedroia, if his run ended the game, you could still leave the players on the field and appeal by throwing over to third.

I'm not sure why Showalter didn't do that if he was convinced Pedroia left early. The base umpires only make that call if the ball is thrown behind the runner to the base he left, or if an appeal happens after the play.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #707
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The only thing I can think is that before he could appeal (if he didn't), all the Orioles stepped over the foul line (once you do that, you can no longer appeal)
Old 04-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #708
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jenrry Mejia looks every bit as good a Matt Harvey did last year. He is lights out.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #709
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

35 years ago this year, a radio station promotion "Destroyed Disco". (and the ensuing fan celebration destroyed a good part of Comiskey Field).

Let's hope that no one has the bright idea to have "Justin Bieber Demolition Night".

ESPN story about Disco Demolition - July 12, 1979 - YouTube
Old 04-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #710
rowech
Pro Starter

I don't understand for the life of me how the call at 2b was overturned in Pittsburgh-Cincinnati game. I've grown tired of replay in less than a month.

Last edited by rowech : 04-22-2014 at 07:59 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #711
Easy Mac

Alex Wood is well on his way to another 1-0 loss. Last 2 games of 16 innings and 18ks. He's given up 6 runs in 5 starts and seems likely to be 2-3.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #712
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well at least it wasn't me who jinxed Cueto and his scoreless innings streak. He is still pitching lights out this year.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:42 PM   #713
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How much larger must the sample size get before we can determine that Tanaka is a bona fide stud? Don't you need at least 75-100 innings pitched before you can draw conclusions?

Last edited by stevew : 04-23-2014 at 01:24 AM. Reason: dumb latin
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:36 AM   #714
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How much larger must the sample size get before we can determine that Tanaka is a bonafied stud? Don't you need at least 75-100 innings pitched before you can draw conclusions?

I think we can conclude he is a bonafied stud! The question is whether he will be Yu good or just a touch below. If Tanaka just had a bit better command(which I am sure he will learn) he seems to be every bit the pitcher Yu Darvish is.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #715
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Alex Wood is well on his way to another 1-0 loss. Last 2 games of 16 innings and 18ks. He's given up 6 runs in 5 starts and seems likely to be 2-3.

He is an interesting pitcher. Looks funny with his delivery but he controls the outside part of the plate and hitters cant seem to figure out his aggressive style.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:51 AM   #716
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Looks like no one here noticed...

Pujols hit #500 tonight. He also hit #499 (first player to hit both 499 and 500 on the same night).

He has been playing well this year.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:10 AM   #717
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Looks like no one here noticed...

Pujols hit #500 tonight. He also hit #499 (first player to hit both 499 and 500 on the same night).

He has been playing well this year.

Ahh shoot. I had MLB mix on and didnt even realize he got 500 tonight.

It is nice to finally see him healthy again and enjoying playing. The past few years he sort of looked in pain playing most of the time.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #718
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The streak continues. Royals are 10-0 when scoring 4+, 0-9 when scoring less than 4.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #719
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I think we can conclude he is a bonafied stud! The question is whether he will be Yu good or just a touch below. If Tanaka just had a bit better command(which I am sure he will learn) he seems to be every bit the pitcher Yu Darvish is.

I don't think there is any doubt he is a star this season I think Nomo and Dice K are two great examples of why people discuss about what happens when the league sees him a 2nd or 3rd time around.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #720
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Ahh shoot. I had MLB mix on and didnt even realize he got 500 tonight.

It is nice to finally see him healthy again and enjoying playing. The past few years he sort of looked in pain playing most of the time.

He actually said as much last night in the interview. Says he feels healthy again, really, for the first time since leaving St. Louis. The other night, I watched him steal a base. Not a blown hit and run, he actually did a straight steal and he even made it without it being too close.

No way he could do that on the plascar fasciatis (sp) he had last year.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #721
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Fan who caught Pujols 500th home run wants nothing in return | Big League Stew - Yahoo Sports
Old 04-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #722
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

maybe this makes me a greedy bad person... but what a moron. the guys is making 25M a year playing baseball. cough it up.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #723
Logan
Head Coach

Donation to a charity if I ever catch a ball like that.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #724
grdawg
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Donation to a charity if I ever catch a ball like that.

Ya, that's a great idea, What would be the right amount, 25K in my name from Albert to the charity of my choice. I'd imagine that ball would get at least 50-100K on the open market? I think I'd be very tempted to keep the ball and sell it to a collector. 50-100K is a lot of money for most people.
grdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #725
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdawg View Post
Ya, that's a great idea, What would be the right amount, 25K in my name from Albert to the charity of my choice. I'd imagine that ball would get at least 50-100K on the open market? I think I'd be very tempted to keep the ball and sell it to a collector. 50-100K is a lot of money for most people.

Yeah, before I opened the link, I assumed that he was going to ask to have a donation to Wounded Warriors or something like that. I'm not sure I'd demand a certain amount. I'd just rely on his generosity. The fact that I stated it in public would keep him honest.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #726
Suicane75
Coordinator

No way in hell I give that ball up for free. I'm all for doing the right thing but that ball has value to someone who is very rich. Somewhere between $20/50K would be fine with me.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #727
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Michael Pineda ejected for pine tar. Came out with it on his neck for the 2nd inning, tossed before the end of the inning. Considering the brouhaha last time, what was he (and Girardi) thinking?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #728
Jas_lov
College Starter

Pineda's an idiot for not being more discrete but Farrell knows his guys do it too and just opened a can of worms. All of his pitchers will now be subject to scrutiny when Girardi comes out there and has them checked.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #729
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Well at least it wasn't me who jinxed Cueto and his scoreless innings streak. He is still pitching lights out this year.

It was me I did it. I was at the game just about to bag on my best friend and the Pirates getting shutout and boom!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #730
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Pineda's an idiot for not being more discrete but Farrell knows his guys do it too and just opened a can of worms. All of his pitchers will now be subject to scrutiny when Girardi comes out there and has them checked.

I have watched baseball for 35 year and never recall seeing a player with pine tar anywhere on his body. I think the Jays pitchers will be fine.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #731
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
No way in hell I give that ball up for free. I'm all for doing the right thing but that ball has value to someone who is very rich. Somewhere between $20/50K would be fine with me.

I'm with you. No way I give it back. Sell the ball and put it towards paying my house off.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #732
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I have watched baseball for 35 year and never recall seeing a player with pine tar anywhere on his body. I think the Jays pitchers will be fine.

1.Vlad Guerrero?
2. Farrell hasn't been with the Jays since 2012.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #733
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Wasn't there speculation about him earlier this year too (Pineda)? Or am I thinking of someone else?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #734
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I disagree. Pineda should have been aware of a massive target on his back after what happened a couple of starts ago. Being discreet is an important part of it. You essentially put the manager in a no win situation when you become a jack ass and bring it that far in the open. Farrell couldn't let it take place again without saying anything.

He had to do what he had to do. Girardi knows this and won't be an idiot about it. Pineda has just ensured EVERY single movement he makes from now until the end of time will be watched like a hawk. If the pine tar was giving him a massive advantage, he's just lost that aid for quite awhile.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #735
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You're so cute.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #736
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Wasn't there speculation about him earlier this year too (Pineda)? Or am I thinking of someone else?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1752923
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #737
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
1.Vlad Guerrero?
2. Farrell hasn't been with the Jays since 2012.

meh. Red Sox, whatever.

Well done being the internet know it all...
Old 04-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #738
frnk55
High School Varsity

It's almost as though Pineda was saying Fuck you guys check out my neck. Very odd.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #739
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I disagree. Pineda should have been aware of a massive target on his back after what happened a couple of starts ago. Being discreet is an important part of it. You essentially put the manager in a no win situation when you become a jack ass and bring it that far in the open. Farrell couldn't let it take place again without saying anything.

He had to do what he had to do. Girardi knows this and won't be an idiot about it. Pineda has just ensured EVERY single movement he makes from now until the end of time will be watched like a hawk. If the pine tar was giving him a massive advantage, he's just lost that aid for quite awhile.
This. I'm in the "not that big of a deal, many pitchers do it in cold weather" camp, but when it became a media firestorm all of 15 days ago... You're an idiot. And he screwed Girardi/the bullpen over by getting thrown out in the 2nd inning.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #740
BishopMVP
Coordinator

If tonight's any indication, I'm gonna miss the Derek Jeter farewell tour. Kinda throwing stones from a glass house with Bogaerts current performance in the field, but wow Jeter is just bad at this point. Throws, pick ups are off and the range clearly isn't improving at age 40.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #741
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

How did Arizona get to a minus sixty run differential in less than a month?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #742
lungs
Pro Rookie

Haven't said much around here but I'm pretty thrilled with the Brewers starting 16-6. It's still a long season but my 79 win prediction may be a tad low.

One of my employees was pretty down in the dumps today as his grandmother died in Nicaragua. He's a pretty big baseball fan and comes from the same town as Vicente Padilla, so I'm taking him to his first Major League game on Sunday to cheer him up a bit. Sixth row behind home plate so he's going to have some awesome seats for his first game.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #743
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
If tonight's any indication, I'm gonna miss the Derek Jeter farewell tour. Kinda throwing stones from a glass house with Bogaerts current performance in the field, but wow Jeter is just bad at this point. Throws, pick ups are off and the range clearly isn't improving at age 40.

They better keep that shift up. I saw they were like playing Roberts at Rover the other day vs Tampa vs some hitters. He truly has arms length range now.

I guess the plan was to probably go to Ryan a lot late but then he got hurt.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:58 AM   #744
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

You nailed it.

Brian Cashman was interviewed about it and he basicaly said Farrel had no choice but to do something he probably didnt want to do.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #745
Logan
Head Coach

My interest in baseball has definitely dropped in recent years, so maybe it's just that...but this is really a thing, that so many pitchers use pine tar these days? Or are people just talking out of their ass?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #746
Logan
Head Coach

This was a hell of a tag by d'Arnaud off a great relay to prevent the tying run from scoring.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #747
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
This was a hell of a tag by d'Arnaud off a great relay to prevent the tying run from scoring.

I am having so much fun watching this team. I think this the most fun I have had watching the Mets since the subway series years.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #748
molson
General Manager

Quote:
My interest in baseball has definitely dropped in recent years, so maybe it's just that...but this is really a thing, that so many pitchers use pine tar these days? Or are people just talking out of their ass?

Every so often there's a inconclusive photo or video of a pitcher with some kind of weird substance on his finger, or glove, or hat. It looks like either sunscreen, or vaseline, or some concoction. There was a whole thing last year with Clay Buchholz having something like that. But the substance always clear or transparent so you can't be 100% sure it's not just sweat or something. Pine tar though, I've never actually seen come up. Which makes sense, pine tar is super-obvious and impossible to miss unless you're concealing it under part of your uniform or something. So I think pitchers use substances with some regularity, but using pine tar, especially like this, is pretty ballsy.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #749
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand how using say...vaseline/sunscreen (which would make the ball slipperier) is supposed to help you get a better grip?

I get how using pine tar to dirty the ball up would help you get a better grip.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #750
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I don't understand how using say...vaseline/sunscreen (which would make the ball slipperier) is supposed to help you get a better grip?

It wouldn't, it gives the ball more movement.