Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm pretty sure I'd rather not.

I third this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #302
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Off-hand I don't recall hearing anything particularly obscene on Octane ... not from the air talents, the songs themselves probably though (I swear I'm not sure off the top of my head whether they use radio edit versions or album versions of songs)
Old 05-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #303
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder what the over/under was.

Van Halen pulls the plug on 31 dates of their reunion tour - Yahoo!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #304
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

There's apparently some rage going on in the Queensryche camp, and not a Rage for Order (har har).

Geoff Tate apparently pulled a knife on one of the guys after learning of a plot to fire him. The band, minus Tate, is reforming as Rising West with a new guitarist (ironically, Tate's ex-son-in-law, I heard) and Crimson Glory's singer. And yesterday, Tate hijacked the band's FB page.

He's admitted he isn't a fan of metal. The last album was an embarrassment, basically a Tate solo record that had nothing to do with the QR name. Oh yeah, and he told the Rocklahoma crowd they sucked. He needs to go back to making wine and shutting the fuck up.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #305
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's apparently some rage going on in the Queensryche camp, and not a Rage for Order (har har).

Geoff Tate apparently pulled a knife on one of the guys after learning of a plot to fire him. The band, minus Tate, is reforming as Rising West with a new guitarist (ironically, Tate's ex-son-in-law, I heard) and Crimson Glory's singer. And yesterday, Tate hijacked the band's FB page.

Of course all of this also goes with Tate's recent focus on his own solo project. I liked the announcement by Rising West that they would be focusing on material from the first five albums, that would be the EP through Empire, which is pretty much all they've done that was worth a damn. 22 years is a long time to go without anything of consequence.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #306
Ksyrup

Benante's Wife 'Attacked Him From Behind' | News @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Not a huge story or anything, I mainly posted it so I could post an Anthrax-related punchline:

efiwnikufecin.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #307
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Benante's Wife 'Attacked Him From Behind' | News @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Not a huge story or anything, I mainly posted it so I could post an Anthrax-related punchline:

efiwnikufecin.

well worth it. ekojnikufecin
Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #308
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Guest list for the next round of That Metal Show tapings released this week. I think this is probably the least interesting lineup I've seen. I've been pretty accepting of the whole "hard rock & heavy metal" expansion of the focus, was actually on board with the stated intention of including more new artists (where the hell did that go?) but there's just not much here that interests me.

This season will consist of 6 shows we are taping starting this Sunday 8/5 in Los Angeles, and two shows we shot in March that will make their debut. So 8 new shows in all. The two shows from March start us off. They are:

8/11: David Draiman of Disturbed, Russell Allen, Mike Orlando of Adrenaline Mob, Mike Portnoy on drums. (this show was a sneak preview as well during the recent marathon but makes it official premiere)
8/17: Bobby Blotzer of Ratt, Stephen Riley & Phil Lewis of L
A Guns, Steve Stevens on guitar.

The following shows will be the 6 new that will be added that we tape starting this weekend. Premiere dates TBA:

Geoff Tate & Zakk Wylde

Joey Kramer & Brad Whitford of Aerosmith, Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick

Steve Harris of Iron Maiden

Ann & Nancy Wilson of Heart, Lita Ford

Sammy Hagar & Michael Anthony

King Diamond, Mark Tremonti

In addition, we have 3 returning guitar greats to play in the above 6 shows; John 5, Doug Aldrich & George Lynch. Former Biohazard frontman Evan Seinfeld will appear in a Guest Top 5.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-02-2012 at 08:34 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #309
Ksyrup

HA! Geoff Tate was probably calling those booking agents every hour on the hour to get on.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #310
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
HA! Geoff Tate was probably calling those booking agents every hour on the hour to get on.

The sad part (of this lineup) is that he's actually one of the more potentially interesting guests ... and he's apparently batshit crazy, with major ego issues & not much that actually resembles a career.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #311
Ksyrup

I hope he brings a few bottles of his wine with him to the set.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #312
Passacaglia
Coordinator

New Order is touring North America.

New Order to Tour North America for the First Time in Seven Years | Music News | Rolling Stone
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #313
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The good news is that there's new music from Dokken (well, the Don Dokken/Mick Brown/Jon Levin/someotherdude version anyway)

The first single "Empire" ain't bad. Not great, but not bad. The problem is that it seems to be the clear standout from an otherwise bland album. Don's voice is, by pretty much all accounts (other than his own perhaps), shot. That means they've resorted to doing mid-tempo songs heavy on harmony ... unfortunately the harmony ain't what it was during the heyday. Based on the samples, the new songs really aren't bad, they're just extremely repetitive & border on being downright boring when taken as a group.

Video for the new single is here (can't find a straight up direct link but the song is embedded in the page)
Dokken release Empire video | Music & Videos | Classic Rock

Samples of all the songs from the new album are here (click the titles in the track listing on the left)
Frontiers Records Showcase. Highlighting the best new melodic releases available.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #314
Ksyrup

The strange thing about his voice is that is sounds so fragile that he's unable to put any energy at all behind it. He might as well be singing from a phone book in a church.

Eh... not interested at all.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-21-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #315
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The strange thing about his voice is that is sounds so fragile that he's unable to put any energy at all behind it. He might as well be singing from a phone book in a church.

Eh... not interested at all.

And then there's the possibility that we may be hearing as much of Jeff Scott Soto here as we are of Don. Officially JSS provided "backing vocals" but there's a somewhat steady rumor that it's more like "overdubbed vocals", basically JSS doing a "what Don kinda sounds like now" imitation.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #316
Ksyrup

Maybe that's why it's so low-key, because you can't really hear much "Don" in the intonation. And that's how they intend it.

Still, if they are going to tour, the fans aren't going to be interested in lip-synching.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #317
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, not something I'd care to see in person. Would be much more interested in the T&N project at this point.

Since we're speaking of Dokken anyway, I'll throw a Lynch Mob note out here (although those who listened to my midweek music podcast know this already) ... bassist Robbie Crane abruptly resigned from LM earlier this week, just a few months after quitting Ratt to join the Mob full time. On the heels of the release of the Sound Mountain Sessions EP, that can't exactly be good news for George (who seems to have almost as much trouble as Don when it comes to keeping bands together).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-21-2012 at 09:36 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #318
Kodos
Resident Alien

It seems like they are both a major pain to work with. At least George can still play.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #319
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sometimes you just gotta LOL at people.

Last week Dokken releases new single, Empire.
This week T&N (Lynch/Pilson/Brown + Tichy & guest vocalists) release audio sampler of new album Slave to the Empire

Old 09-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #320
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

looks like we can't really call these Don Dokken's lean years
Old 09-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #321
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
looks like we can't really call these Don Dokken's lean years

Don Dokken On Tour, with special guest Yngwie Malmsteen ... brought to you by Shoney's, home of the All You Can Eat Breakfast Bar.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #322
Ksyrup

Quote:
Sometimes you just gotta LOL at people.

Last week Dokken releases new single, Empire.
This week T&N (Lynch/Pilson/Brown + Tichy & guest vocalists) release audio sampler of new album Slave to the Empire

In honor of MNF, this deserves a C'MON MAN!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #323
Ksyrup

Technically 80s - Saigon Kick is finally reuniting with the original members. I loved that band, 1-hit wonder status notwithstanding. Actually preferred the post-Kramer, more diverse SK stuff, but for late 80s/early 90s hair metal/rock, the 1st 2 albums were really good. Great harmonies.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-24-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #324
Ksyrup

Kinda on-point, found this article pretty interesting:

Japanese Collectors Face a Record Shortage of Obscure Music - WSJ.com

Then there are outré 1970s bands like Yes and Traffic and 1980s heavy-metal heroes Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden and Mr. Big; such albums sold for $10 to $15 at KUSF's fair. As a general yardstick, dealers say records sold in the U.S. usually fetch about three times as much in Japan.

"Sometimes I think, how the hell did you get that?" says Eric Martin, vocalist for Mr. Big, which once released a record shaped like an electric drill that Japan's collectors still prize. (Mr. Big's guitarist Paul Gilbert used a drill to play his instrument on the group's 1991 single, which now costs $13 online.)

A few years ago, Sony Corp.'s Japanese music arm convinced Mr. Martin, a Bay Area local, to sing famous pop ballads by Japanese women. The resulting album, 2008's "Mr. Vocalist," sold around 200,000 copies, turning him into an idol in Japan.

In October, he plans to fly to Tokyo to promote his next record, "Mr. Rock Vocalist." Mr. Martin owes a great debt to Japan, he says, but still smarts when rock-singer friends mention the "Vocalist" moniker. "That's a major teasing factor," he says.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #325
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 10-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #326
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

yikes
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #327
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I double dog dare anyone to find and listen to the performance of 'Better' at the same show.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #328
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Saw Doro Pesch for the first time tonight. Amazing, truly the Queen of Metal (sorry Lita).

It really hit me during All We Are that I've been singing that song for 25 years before seeing it performed live. That really doesn't happen all that often, I mean I usually either saw it live during it's heyday or else I never see it live at all. Pretty cool stuff.

Swedish rockers Sister Sin opened (along with two local bands of considerably lesser skill) and were quite good. I'd put Liv Jagrell easily among the top 10 female rock singers right now, on par with Cristina Scabbia.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #329
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Rest In Peace Clive Burr
FORMER IRON MAIDEN DRUMMER CLIVE BURR PASSES AWAY
Old 06-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #330
Kodos
Resident Alien

Def Leppard's Vivian Campbell Has Cancer | Music News | Rolling Stone

Vivian Campbell of Def Leppard has Hodgkin's lymphoma. Two months of treatment so far, four more planned.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-21-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #331
Kodos
Resident Alien

I guess that's the same disease that Michael C. Hall (Dexter) beat. I hope Vivian can beat it too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3416250.html

Def Leppard’s Vivian Campbell Reveals Post-Cancer Treatment Haircut

Last edited by Kodos : 06-24-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #332
Kodos
Resident Alien

Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora conflicting report on Richie and Jon's alleged feud - Cincinnati Pop Culture | Examiner.com

Anyone else think Richie Sambora should just tell Jon Bon Jovi to fuck off?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #333
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Isn't Bon Jovi the stable one and Sambora the substance abuse/has had many woman one?
Old 07-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #334
Kodos
Resident Alien

Richie had a DUI a while back after his father died. Don't know if that was his only issue. But it sounds like JBJ basically said he was replaceable in public. I think at that point I would just let him replace me for good, if I were Richie.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-26-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #335
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Isn't Bon Jovi the stable one and Sambora the substance abuse/has had many woman one?

"Stable" <> "non-asshat"
Old 07-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #336
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
"Stable" <> "non-asshat"

You're right, but isn't Bon Jovi different than other bands? Jon is like the CEO and the rest of the band members are employees? I would say he has run a pretty successful business.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #337
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

There's only been one band member to leave in 30ish years so I look at it more of a band than just a dude with some other guys.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #338
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
You're right, but isn't Bon Jovi different than other bands? Jon is like the CEO and the rest of the band members are employees? I would say he has run a pretty successful business.

It is a lot like that. They had some sort of behind the scenes movie with the band a while back, and that's pretty much how they explained things.

I guess last spring, JBJ said that The Edge was indispensable for U2, but in Bon Jovi, people could just be replaced. I guess Richie took exception to that, and sent him an email saying "Hire The Edge."
Old 07-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #339
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

While JBJ might be right in that regard, I still see them as a band. and it was odd for him to essentially throw band members who have been in the group for 30+ under the bus like that.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #340
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
While JBJ might be right in that regard, I still see them as a band. and it was odd for him to essentially throw band members who have been in the group for 30+ under the bus like that.

I dunno if it was really all that "odd". It seems to be in character with what has been thought about his ego for years.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #341
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Caught Motley Crue, Hinder, and Framing the Red last night at Buffalo Run Casino in Miami, OK. last night. Best "seats" I've ever had, 'bout 6' from the stage. The Buffalo Run (which I call "Up My Bum Casino") outdoor venue has no seats. You buy premium VIP general admission for close to the stage, or regular general admission for 100' back or so. Stood in line for an hour and a half, an hour waiting for the show to start, and then a 4 hour show. It'll be days before my back forgives me.

Pretty good show from all bands. Vince as usual skipped several lines, but I gave him a pass since they played OKC the night before. Tommy Lee looked like complete hell, and really was non-existent in the show 'cept for the encore. Nikki is still one bad MF.

I'm convinced that Mick is a zombie. Yeah he's always been one fugly dude, but wow he is freaking scary looking. It really appears like he has some serious health issues.

Hinder, didn't know much about them but they were ok. Their lead singer wasn't there so the singer from Saving Able or something like that filled in.

Framing the Red was a nice surprise. For a small-time band they kicked it.

Funny thing was Eddie Trunk (That Metal Show) introducing the bands. In person he is even a bigger dork.
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #342
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Love Hinder, but singer Austin Winkler is in rehab. By all accounts though Jared Weeks from Saving Abel has been doing a solid job in a tough situation.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #343
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I guess that's the same disease that Michael C. Hall (Dexter) beat. I hope Vivian can beat it too.

Vivian Campbell Cancer: Def Leppard Guitarist Reveals He Has Hodgkin's Lymphoma

Def Leppard’s Vivian Campbell Reveals Post-Cancer Treatment Haircut

Looks like Vivian Campbell is in remission.

Vivian Campbell's Cancer Is 'Officially in Remission'

Here’s your dose of fist-pumping, stand-up-and-cheer rock ‘n’ roll news for the day: Vivian Campbell‘s struggle with cancer looks like it’s turned a crucial corner.

The Def Leppard guitarist shared his excitement on Facebook, where he posted a note letting fans in on his freshly scrubbed bill of health. “For anyone who gives a toss, after doing another PET scan and all the other follow-up tests, then getting a second opinion etc., I’m officially in remission from Hodgies,” wrote Campbell. “That’s the good news. The bad news is: I no longer have an excuse to not go to the gym.”

Ultimate Classic Rock readers have followed Campbell’s journey from the day he revealed his diagnosis, and his remarkably candid approach to dealing with the disease — as well as his refusal to stop touring and recording — has proven incredibly inspiring. It’s wonderful to hear he’s closed a chapter on his battle, especially given the positivity he’s managed to publicly maintain while fighting for his life.

In the immediate future, it looks like Campbell will celebrate his victory by heading back into the studio with Def Leppard to start work on the group’s next album, as well as ramping up his touring schedule with Last in Line, the band he started with his old Dio bandmates. We look forward to hearing what he comes up with.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #344
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

What Happened When Axl Rose Rented My Apartment -- Vulture
Old 01-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #345
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Motley Crue announces breakup, final tour

Last edited by Matthean : 01-28-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #346
Kodos
Resident Alien

Seasons must change, separate paths, separate ways...
Old 01-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #347
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

no chance at all that they get back together

/sarcasm
Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #348
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
no chance at all that they get back together
/sarcasm

Actually, they've gone so far as to sign some sort of contract stating "this is it".
While I doubt that would hold much water, there's a pretty strong belief that they're sincere about this being it.

Nikki has plenty to do with Sixx A.M., Vince wants to spend more time with his restaurants & other ventures, etc.

In this case, I lean toward believing the "retirement" is a real one.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #349
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I saw a live video of them playing years ago, and Vince as piss poor at vocals even then.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #350
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I saw a live video of them playing years ago, and Vince as piss poor at vocals even then.

Honestly, they didn't sound great live back in the 80s. Lots of show but live has always been their weakness in terms of sound IMO.