Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Are you buying a Mega Millions ticket?
Yes--I generally play the lottery 2 7.69%
Yes--I don't generally play, but a billion seems fun 16 61.54%
No--I never play for religious or mathematical reasons 6 23.08%
If I need to run out for some trout, I might pick up a ticket 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2022, 10:44 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Are you buying a billion dollar Mega Millions ticket?

I'm not normally a player, but now that the jackpot has crossed an arbitrary threshold, I'll probably pick one up just to be part of whatever zeitgeist is created.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:14 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'll get $20 worth then forget I bought it and panic once I remember I did but don't remember where I put the ticket.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:14 AM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We can buy on phone here so I’ll grab 5 of them.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #4
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:06 PM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

We play every now and then, but have bought tickets for the past 3 drawings as the amount crept up.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:13 PM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I'll get $20 worth then forget I bought it and panic once I remember I did but don't remember where I put the ticket.

I once bought one on a road trip, put it in my wallet and forgot about it. By the time I discovered it, the time for turning it in had passed. So I threw it away without checking it b/c man that would be hard to get over.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:14 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I had a heated discussion a few years back with some coworkers when it got stupid high. I honestly am not sure I would want to win that much money. Life is a complex ecosystem and I am extremally happy where we are. I love my family and friends, we are financially secure, on track for a nice retirement, live in a great community, etc...

You win that kind of money you can never trust another person again. People would come out of the woodwork, etc...it has the potential to destroy every relationship in your life. I think 10-12 million is the sweet spot.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:15 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I once bought one on a road trip, put it in my wallet and forgot about it. By the time I discovered it, the time for turning it in had passed. So I threw it away without checking it b/c man that would be hard to get over.

good move.

It is like being at the track, if you bet the wrong horse you have to just roll with it.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:48 PM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

I’m waiting for it to get big.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:55 PM   #10
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

That's what she said.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:07 PM   #11
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

sovereignstar gets a cookie.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:45 PM   #12
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
I thought I didn't exactly memorize the exact numbers, but I caught the reference immediately. Despite that it's over 12 years ago I saw the last of it. Freaky.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:47 PM   #13
Flasch186
Coordinator

I’m in for $200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:49 PM   #14
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, picked up $10 of numbers at the supermarket. (Didn't know it was all touchscreen now. Confused me for a bit.)
Old 07-29-2022, 06:57 AM   #15
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Old 07-29-2022, 09:56 AM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

Spent 6 bucks. Now it's time to sit back and count my stacks of cash...
Old 07-29-2022, 09:59 AM   #17
Ksyrup

Quote:
I had a heated discussion a few years back with some coworkers when it got stupid high. I honestly am not sure I would want to win that much money. Life is a complex ecosystem and I am extremally happy where we are. I love my family and friends, we are financially secure, on track for a nice retirement, live in a great community, etc...

You win that kind of money you can never trust another person again. People would come out of the woodwork, etc...it has the potential to destroy every relationship in your life. I think 10-12 million is the sweet spot.

I'll take that chance. I don't trust many people to begin with, and let even fewer into my life now, so...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-29-2022, 10:26 AM   #18
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, I can't say I'm as successful as I want to be in life but still I would have to be guaranteed secrecy if I were to win a huge sum of money.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:41 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'll take that chance. I don't trust many people to begin with, and let even fewer into my life now, so...

This, times roughly one billion (pre-tax, pre-lump sum deduction)

Money, alas, doesn't fix literally everything.
This sort of money does however improve a great deal of things exponentially.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:27 AM   #20
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, I honestly don't interact with a whole lot of people outside of work, and even that now is 100% online (well, 98%, there are sometimes TopGolf outings). I also deal with very few relatives.

Honestly, I'd probably opt for the annuity. I don't really want all that much, outside of some cars that aren't 15 years old, a house where you don't immediately know cats have lived in it, and the ability to pay everything off. I'd be more than cool with getting however many million or so per year until I die. I mean, how the hell do you "invest" $400M or whatever? I feel like I'd just lose track of it. (As it is now remembering where all my 401Ks are is tricky enough.)

Also, Maryland is an anonymous state, so that's nice. I'd probably continue to work for a little while, fix some things up in the house, maybe get a second house somewhere that's not too extravagant, replace the minivan, redo some things in the house. Or even just move to another slightly nicer house in-state. Maybe go to a few more ballgames.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:36 AM   #21
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

NC is not an anonymous state. But I figure with that kind of money, I could get a top NYC law firm to put it in trusts inside of trusts inside of trusts to try make make it anonymous.

Would be a good problem to have.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:50 AM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

How do you mess with taxes on something like this. Heck, how do you go find a tax lawyer who can handle messing with something like this?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 12:02 PM   #23
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
How do you mess with taxes on something like this. Heck, how do you go find a tax lawyer who can handle messing with something like this?

SI

Completely serious--go here and pick a name off the list: List of largest law firms by revenue - Wikipedia

These mega firms know how to deal with money at this level. They mainly focus on corporate law, but they also take care of the personal finances of the CEOs of those corporations. They will appreciate, and not be intimidated by, your business.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:12 PM   #24
Ksyrup

Even in your area, there are likely attorneys and financial planners who specifically deal with high net worth individuals. I have a couple attorneys in mind in my area who I know represent people in the horse industry. They are well familiar with how to handle multi-multi million dollar estates.