Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Facebook status updates to be Google indexed

If I had to guess I'd say that 99% of the stuff that people share in a panic about changes to some TOS are no biggie. In this instance, one that someone shared on Facebook today seemed worth passing along.

The gist of it is that, unless you change a setting in order to opt-out, your status updates are going to be Googleable "soon"

Here's an independent bit of coverage on the announcement made back on December 7. Maybe I'm just late to the party but it sure flew completely under my radar.
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives..._is_set_to.php

Opting out was fairly simple, although I had to click through the sequence a couple of times as it glitched (as FB often does for me) and either froze or went to a different section.

Go to Settings --> Privacy Settings --> Search --> then UN-CLICK the box that says 'Allow indexing'.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-14-2009 at 04:15 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

cool - saw this, but a good bump
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
cool - saw this, but a good bump

I don't normally worry about this kind of stuff too much & it usually seems to turn out to be a false alarm but in this instance ... well, I've done a good job of keeping anyone related to work off my FB, which gives me the freedom to bitch about work on FB to what are (ostensibly) my friends. I definitely don't need a client to Google my name for some reason & have my status updates delivered to them.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I don't normally worry about this kind of stuff too much & it usually seems to turn out to be a false alarm but in this instance ... well, I've done a good job of keeping anyone related to work off my FB, which gives me the freedom to bitch about work on FB to what are (ostensibly) my friends. I definitely don't need a client to Google my name for some reason & have my status updates delivered to them.

very good point!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Yikes. OK, I don't even put anything embarrassing or private in my status, but this unsettles me. I wonder what Facebook gets out of doing this. Seems like it's just going to cause an even larger glut of spam accounts since the spammers will be able to pimp their stuff without having to send out a bunch of phony friend requests.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I wonder what Facebook gets out of doing this.

$$$

They're believed to be getting paid by Google for access to the info, same way Google is paying Twitter for access to theirs. The motivation for Google is to make sure they don't get obsoleted by real-time info coming from Twitter & to reduce the impact of Twitter in the real-time niche by adding the much larger FB user base to the mix.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
Radii
Head Coach

Thanks for the heads up Jon, I hadn't noticed this one.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
MikeVic
Head Coach

Wow thanks, I've unchecked that box.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
Rizon
Pro Starter

Mine was already unchecked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

That's pretty shitty. They do this even if you are set to friends only? Fuck that.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
That's pretty shitty. They do this even if you are set to friends only? Fuck that.

Nope, it's apparently (best I can tell) for those who had parts of their profile (such as updates) set to public. Thing is, with their recent revision of privacy settings I don't have much doubt that there's a very large number of users who couldn't even begin to tell you accurately what their settings are.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
SackAttack
Head Coach

It kinda forced me into my settings to update the privacy stuff a week or so ago.

I don't remember seeing the indexing option then, but when I just looked, it wasn't checked, so...
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
It kinda forced me into my settings to update the privacy stuff a week or so ago.

I don't remember seeing the indexing option then, but when I just looked, it wasn't checked, so...

Same here, except mine was checked. Dunno why though, since I don't have anything set to "public".

I kind of wonder if "friends of friends" instead of just "friends" seeing updates might be classified as "public" for their indexing purposes & that's why mine was checked instead of unchecked.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #14
cougarfreak
College Starter

Thanks for the update, I did so as well.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

It looks like it says it will only index things set to be viewable by "Everyone". Regardless, I still unchecked it.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #16
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Didn't know, thanks Jon.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #17
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just did it and got this message:

Important Privacy Announcement
Worried about search engines? Your information is safe.
There have been misleading rumors recently about Facebook indexing all your information on Google. This is not true. Facebook created public search listings in 2007 to enable people to search for your name and see a link to your Facebook profile. They will still only see a basic set of information.

FWIW, mine was checked, so I had to uncheck it.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-15-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #18
Subby
lolzcat

I feel like I can see a lot more photo albums and profile pics of hot friend of friends than I could in the past.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #19
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I feel like I can see a lot more photo albums and profile pics of hot friend of friends than I could in the past.

it's easier to access them now because of the tab that's now showing on about everybody's homepage but the pics used to be accessible to almost everyone before since the access to picture defaults to "everyone" so as soon as someone uploaded a picture and didn't make sure the right privacy was set, you could see their pics. Thing is, you had to find an entryway, like a mention that your friend had been tagged in a pic...

FM
Old 12-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #20
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Much ado about nothing here. Didn't have to change a thing in my settings.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #21
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Don't really see why people are 'stressing' over this myself - at the end of the day I've nothing either posted or on my profile which I think would interest or excite anyone ....

All I can see this doing in the main is making it harder to google and get useful information, bah humbug
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Just did it and got this message:

Important Privacy Announcement
Worried about search engines? Your information is safe.
There have been misleading rumors recently about Facebook indexing all your information on Google. This is not true. Facebook created public search listings in 2007 to enable people to search for your name and see a link to your Facebook profile. They will still only see a basic set of information.

FWIW, mine was checked, so I had to uncheck it.

Looks like they're starting their damage control.

Here's a very long & detailed explanation of what the hell is or isn't going on, both good and bad, as well as some of the unknown (which kind of critically includes some confusion about whether a lot of users end up as opt-in or opt-out)
4 Questions & Answers You Should Know About Facebook’s Public Search Listings

It ends with the following summary
* Facebook has been offering public listings well before last week’s announcement.

* These listings have been exposed to search engines before members got a heads-up about it last week.

* Millions of Facebook members have to opt-out of the exposure, if they don’t want it (and may have assumed they were already "private").

* Facebook will be feeding these URLs to the search engines.

* Exposure of the URLs means that even if you opt-out, you might find you get a URL-only listing showing up at Yahoo and maybe Microsoft Live.com and Ask.com.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #23
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I think it's always been pretty obvious that it was searchable -- if people are too stupid to realize that, is it facebook's fault?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I think it's always been pretty obvious that it was searchable -- if people are too stupid to realize that, is it facebook's fault?

But how obvious was it? I mean, I've never had a single search for anyone ever randomly return a Facebook entry, not a single time that I can recall. And I search names, from the famous to the entirely mundane, for various reasons pretty regularly.

So with that (admittedly anecdotal) experience, why would I have any reason to expect or even suspect that Facebook status updates or even profiles would be Googleable?
Old 12-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #25
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
why would I have any reason to expect or even suspect that Facebook status updates or even profiles would be Googleable?

You never google yourself?

I do so every few months and pretty much ever since I joined fb, my profile has been the first result.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
You never google yourself?

I do so every few months and pretty much ever since I joined fb, my profile has been the first result.

Like most (?) people, I've Googled myself in the past but don't recall doing so since I started messing with FB a few months back, so that definitely hasn't happened to me.

And since you brought it up, I just Googled my name (as it's used on FB) ... not a Facebook profile in sight. One Twitter, two LinkedIns, and one MySpace (none of which relate to me) but not a single Facebook on the first page.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #27
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Like most (?) people, I've Googled myself in the past but don't recall doing so since I started messing with FB a few months back, so that definitely hasn't happened to me.

And since you brought it up, I just Googled my name (as it's used on FB) ... not a Facebook profile in sight. One Twitter, two LinkedIns, and one MySpace (none of which relate to me) but not a single Facebook on the first page.

I would imagine most people would have it be among the first 10 hits. But, clearly, ymmv.

I guess in addition to it being first for me, I would say most times I searched a name (something I do often when looking for technical papers) a fb profile made the first page of results - even if it was not necesarily the same person I was looking for.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #28
Kodos
Resident Alien

Googling my name didn't turn up anything related to me through the first few pages on Google. I did find out that some guy with my name wrote the book "Documenting Gay Men: Identity and Performance in Reality Television and Documentary Film". Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #29
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Apparently there is a Facebook profile for "Greg Stelmack", but it ain't me.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #30
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

HOW COULD I BE SO STUPID
Old 12-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #31
DanGarion
Coordinator

Much ado about nothing, IMO. If you already had private settings you have nothing to fear. If you already only allow friends to see your updates you are fine. This only affects those that had their profile completely public, and if that's the case I don't blame Facebook for allowing places to index those areas.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #32
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
But how obvious was it? I mean, I've never had a single search for anyone ever randomly return a Facebook entry, not a single time that I can recall. And I search names, from the famous to the entirely mundane, for various reasons pretty regularly.

So with that (admittedly anecdotal) experience, why would I have any reason to expect or even suspect that Facebook status updates or even profiles would be Googleable?

That's weird, whenever I searched someone in the news I always ended up seeing Facebook links.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #33
Autumn
Head Coach

I see facebook pages for name searches pretty regularly myself, in the past.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #34
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I also regularly get facebook results. I agree with DanGarion -- much ado. You made a profile on an internet site. You made that profile public. OMG! People can search and find that profile?!! NO WAY!!

The reason you can't find your profile with google is probably that you have your privacy settings up to a level that it is hidden.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #35
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

In my case, I'm not concerned at all about people finding my profile. I don't put anything on the internet that I wouldn't say in front of my mother, my boss, or my wife. So I'm not trying to hide anything. I'm just sick and tired of getting Facebook friend requests from spammers, and if they know their profile will be found in search engines, that's just going to encourage them.

Long term, this might just be a bigger pain in my ass, and as long as my wife pays Lady Ursula to bring that cattle prod to my house every Thursday, I've got a big enough pain in my ass as it is.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
This only affects those that had their profile completely public

Actually I haven't seen the middle ground ("friends of friends") addressed one way or the other so far, specifically whether those setting defaulted to being indexed or not being indexed. Got some linkage with definitive clarity on that?

edit to add:
Quote:
I don't put anything on the internet that I wouldn't say in front of my mother, my boss, or my wife.

Me either. Unfortunately those aren't the only possible categories.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-16-2009 at 04:21 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #37
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Actually I haven't seen the middle ground ("friends of friends") addressed one way or the other so far, specifically whether those setting defaulted to being indexed or not being indexed. Got some linkage with definitive clarity on that?
Not sure, I would assume that anything that had some type of privacy noted would not be indexed. Basically if you can't see it when you aren't logged in it's probably not being indexed, since I doubt Google has a special index anything we want without being logged in key. Typically the only things that can be indexed are those things that are accessible to those that are not logged in.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:06 AM   #38
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

This is a somewhat old bump, but here is a web tool that people can use to verify that their privacy settings on facebook aren't letting a ton of personal information out to other third party applications and the like:

ReclaimPrivacy.org | Facebook Privacy Scanner

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote