Indianapolis at Jacksonville
Oakland at New England
San Francisco at Arizona
Denver at Seattle
Kansas City at Miami
Pittsburgh at Carolina

Monday
Chicago at NY Jets

Denver @ Seattle being the obvious big one. With the Lions secondary beat up, it might not be the right time to play the Packers, but for the Lions it never is.

Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

Bengals trying to get to their Bye week 3-0 with a slew of tough games following the bye... with the injuries they already have, an early bye week will be huge.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
Butter
Coordinator

Also, the Bengals facing their first local blackout in 2 years... local media saying they are far short of the self-imposed 85% threshold at which they have pledged not to blackout games.

I thought I heard the FCC was working on eliminating those blackout rules? They need to pick up the pace.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Thursday
Tampa Bay at Atlanta

This is the NFL equivalent of a snuff film.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
Travis
Pro Rookie

So Seattle will be 2-1 and coming off a win against the Broncos going into their bye, or 1-2, coming off back to back losses include one at home.

I'm almost curious to hear what the panic would be like on Seattle sports radio if they drop this one to the Broncos. That said, I'd be very happy if I'm left wondering what it would be like. Really hoping for a very good bounce back performance, but their lack of depth in the secondary right now could be a big tipping point in this matchup. Front 4 will have to play lights out for Seattle to win this one.

Also very curious to see how SF/Ari unfolds.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
Radii
Head Coach

I'm looking forward to a prime time game for Carolina. Charlotte has a reputation for having a ton of Pittsburgh fans though, I hope the crowd isn't too much like that San Francisco crowd from week 1 in Dallas. The last time Carolina started 3-0 was 2003, hell the last time they started 1-0 was 2008.

Its probably asking too much to hope for the Saints to lose to Minnesota, but I'll be rooting hard for it. Thursday Night Football is such a shitshow that anything can happen there, so I'm hoping Tampa can find a way to pull that out.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Colts need the win here or it's going to be a loooooooooong season.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jonathan Dwyer of Arizona Cardinals arrested on two counts of suspicion of aggravated assault - ESPN
Old 09-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

49ers/Cardinals is going to be an ugly, ugly game. It should be good and close, but it'll be ugly.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
Radii
Head Coach

from another article I saw about this:

"If Dwyer is shown the door, the Cardinals would be able to call on practice squad running back Chris Rainey to fill Dwyer’s spot on the 53-man roster. There is one problem, however. Rainey has previously been released from a team because of a domestic violence incident."

Well that's just fantastic.

Last edited by Radii : 09-17-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I expect JJ Watt to have 7 sacks
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #12
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Is it like...a rite of passage for running backs to beat up women?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
kingfc22
Head Coach

At this rate we probably need an NFL abusers thread so the weekly thread can be a place to discuss the games.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:20 PM   #14
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
49ers/Cardinals is going to be an ugly, ugly game. It should be good and close, but it'll be ugly.

if Carson Palmer is still out, I expect it will be very ugly indeed for my beloved Cardinals.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #15
Thomkal
Head Coach

Unfortunately my beloved Cardinals have a history of domestic violence cases including even Larry Fitzgerald.

Domestic Violence Allegations: An "Unpleasant Piece of Status Quo for the NFL"
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #16
Dutch
"Dutch"

Here's a good one for the thread...(hey, at least it's stats and has a database!)

NFL Arrests Database | UTSanDiego.com

Enjoy...

Since 2000...I couldn't search for "domestic" but you could at least tally up by team and position.

Here's the by position breakdown
CB 167
DL 126
WR 122
LB 95
RB 79
OL 67
TE 35
QB 15
K/P 12
FB 11

Last edited by Dutch : 09-17-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:24 PM   #17
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Bengals trying to get to their Bye week 3-0 with a slew of tough games following the bye... with the injuries they already have, an early bye week will be huge.

Hope we rest Tez. It will be great to get him two straight weeks off.

BTW, what a terrible Thursday night game.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #18
Dutch
"Dutch"

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:53 AM   #19
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Having done both, I will say that it is much more pleasant to cheer for a team with a great defense and a bad offense than to cheer for a team with a great offense and a bad defense. (Looking at you, Rob Ryan).

As for week 3, I think that the Saints will beat the Vikings, but that has much more to do with the Vikings than the Saints.

I am also convinced that the only 100% surefire way to make money in Vegas is to take the general preseason consensus about how the NFC South will go and then bet the exact opposite. Year to year, it is the most unpredictable division in football.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #20
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Having done both, I will say that it is much more pleasant to cheer for a team with a great defense and a bad offense than to cheer for a team with a great offense and a bad defense. (Looking at you, Rob Ryan).

Having done both, I can't disagree with you more.

Nothing is more soul crushing than years of watching the Bears defense slaughter teams, then trot out shit on offense (particularly at QB). Trestman/Cutler may have their issues, but watching a big boy NFL offense is so much more enjoyable.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #21
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I think the Jags get their first win of the season this week.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #22
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don't
Old 09-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #23
molson
General Manager

It's a nice feeling as a football fan when you can't remember who your team is playing this weekend and it turns out to be at home V. Oakland.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #24
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Same thing here, molson. I don't pay much attention to past or future games, just the upcoming one. I too was glad to not only seeing the Pats play Oakland but at home finally.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #25
mrtourette
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Having done both, I can't disagree with you more.

Nothing is more soul crushing than years of watching the Bears defense slaughter teams, then trot out shit on offense (particularly at QB). Trestman/Cutler may have their issues, but watching a big boy NFL offense is so much more enjoyable.

Yeah as a long-time Miami fan I've seen both combinations, and seeing excellent defenses wasted time and time again by an offense that can't move the ball is no fun.
mrtourette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #26
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Here's a good one for the thread...(hey, at least it's stats and has a database!)

NFL Arrests Database | UTSanDiego.com

Enjoy...

Since 2000...I couldn't search for "domestic" but you could at least tally up by team and position.

Here's the by position breakdown
CB 167
DL 126
WR 122
LB 95
RB 79
OL 67
TE 35
QB 15
K/P 12
FB 11

So 729 NFL players arrested in14 years? Total players during that time is what? I am going to guess about 12,000, would that be in the ballpark? That would mean an arrest rate at 6 percent. Doesnt seem out of line of the standard population to me.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #27
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Having done neither, I have no comment on this topic.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #28
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
So 729 NFL players arrested in14 years? Total players during that time is what? I am going to guess about 12,000, would that be in the ballpark? That would mean an arrest rate at 6 percent. Doesnt seem out of line of the standard population to me.

Agreed. I would argue that it is even a little low. The interesting data is why are certain positions more apt to have issues.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #29
Travis
Pro Rookie

Then again, how many didn't get arrested or were swept under the rug because of who they are? Granted, hopefully not enough to drastically change the % being discussed, but even look at Rice and how quickly he was on his way. Had that video never surfaced, how different would the last few weeks have been?

I just bristle a bit at comparing to the "standard population" because how the two sides are dealt with when it comes to legal matters rarely seems comparable.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #30
molson
General Manager

It's not a perfect comparison, but 49% of black men and 40% of white men are arrested at some point before they turn 23. I would bet the number for players entering the league at about that age is a lot less than that. And if we could somehow compare young men ages 23-32 in the NFL v. that age group in the general population, I'm sure NFL players would represent themselves well there too.

Study: Nearly half of black men arrested by age 23

I don't think there's any epidemic of criminality in the NFL. Just some bad seeds that need to be dealt with more harshly.

Last edited by molson : 09-18-2014 at 10:53 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #31
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's not a perfect comparison, but 49% of black men and 40% of white men are arrested at some point before they turn 23. I would bet the number for players entering the league at about that age is a lot less than that. And if we could somehow compare young men ages 23-32 in the NFL v. that age group in the general population, I'm sure NFL players would represent themselves well there too.

I don't think there's any epidemic of criminality in the NFL. Just some bad seeds that need to be dealt with more harshly.

I tend to agree. It's just the bad apples get a ton of media attention.

You don't hear as much about the guys who do charity work and raise families and etc.

And you know - maybe that's something the NFL should work to change. Instead of directing media attention onto the bad apples (and thus perhaps inadvertently promoting that type of behavior) maybe they should have an ongoing ad campaign/series of puff pieces talking about players doing good things and being productive members of their communities.

Sure, we get occasional bits on that, but maybe it needs to be more constant.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #32
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

40-50% of men are arrested by 23?! What the hell are you all doing down there?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #33
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Seriously - that's crazy.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #34
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

this has been going around TV media recently... the percentage of NFL players arrested is almost perfectly in line with their age group in general.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #35
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I would be interested to know if the types of crimes are different. Are NFL players more likely to be arrested for crimes of violence than the average person? You'd likely see a whole bunch less property crime, wouldn't you?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #36
TroyF
Coordinator

I'm a very data driven individual. The numbers from that website pretty much confirm to me there is no problem with NFL players that we already don't have in society. The image of roided up players ravaging the countryside appears to me to be overblown.

There is an article on Grantland now called "the history of violence in the NFL" or something like it. They may as well have a companion piece title "The history of violence since the first person walked the earth"

Goodall handled this thing like crap. The NFL deserves some bad publicity. yet three bad incidents in a week (Rice, AP and now Dwyer) doesn't really seem all that out of control to me. Take some random samples of 1900 guys 22-32 and I'm fairly certain that most of those samples will show more than 3 guys with issues.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #37
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Looking at the info in the linked story, the rate of arrested by 18 vs arrested by 23 goes up by 50% or more for all three ethnic groups mentioned.

That might be one of the most striking arguments I've ever seen for prohibition.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #38
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Nike Air commercial Charles Barkley - YouTube

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #39
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Except that very prominent public figures (as nfl players) are generally more likely to be emulated and followed than regular folks in that age group. I would say that puts a more extra burden on behavior. If you are on stage and are paid like a 1%, then they cannot act like they are not. With fame comes responsibility.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #40
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would like to know what percentage have been arrested, in all ethnic groups, that have at minimum attended 3 years of college and makes at least 6 figures a year.

I bet that number is much lower.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #41
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

All class

Devon Still of Cincinnati Bengals, Sean Payton of New Orleans Saints talk for first time - ESPN
Old 09-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #42
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I would like to know what percentage have been arrested, in all ethnic groups, that have at minimum attended 3 years of college and makes at least 6 figures a year.

I bet that number is much lower.

I think you could even knock it down below 6 figures and have it be much much lower.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #43
Kodos
Resident Alien

Payton has some bad karma to work off. This should help.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #44
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Except that very prominent public figures (as nfl players) are generally more likely to be emulated and followed than regular folks in that age group. I would say that puts a more extra burden on behavior. If you are on stage and are paid like a 1%, then they cannot act like they are not. With fame comes responsibility.

I'm NOT saying they shouldn't be banned for life or that they have a higher level of responsibility. I'm saying the majority of NFL football players don't knock their wives out, beat their children, drive drunk, sexually assault, murder someone, or commit any crime. The "NFL is raping and pillaging the entire country" talk is more than a little overblown.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #45
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Buccs better figure out how to guard Jones.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #46
korme
Go Reds

I knew I should have laid the points on Atlanta tonight

Last edited by korme : 09-18-2014 at 08:06 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #47
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

we may see our first ever real life NFL rage quit (ala Madden)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 09-18-2014 at 08:22 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #48
kingfc22
Head Coach

This got out of hand quick.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #49
bhlloy
Coordinator

Good thing the Bucs brought in a proven veteran QB
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #50
duff88
College Prospect

I don't think I've ever seen such a blowout. Anything comparable recently?
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote