Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2017, 11:18 PM   #1
Butter
Coordinator

So maybe this deserves it's own thread, but what the fuck just happened on the Oscars?

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:19 PM   #2
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
So maybe this deserves it's own thread, but what the fuck just happened on the Oscars?

Stage Manager fail.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

lol I stopped watching a couple hours ago. THen facebook blew up.

Kinda like when turn you off the ATL-NE superbowl because ATL "has it in the bag".

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 02-26-2017 at 11:31 PM.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:33 PM   #4
RainMaker
General Manager

Seems like a shitty thing to do to create a viral moment.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:38 PM   #5
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Seems like a shitty thing to do to create a viral moment.

he's gotta stay hip, yo!

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 02-26-2017 at 11:42 PM.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:41 PM   #6
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't think it's on Beatty. Looks like he was given the Best Leading Actress envelope. Probably why he looked so confused. My guess is whoever set it up didn't expect him to name La La Land the winner. Just to say "I got the wrong card" or something and make a funny viral moment while a producer ran on stage with the real one.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:14 AM   #7
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Beatty did not name La La Land as Best Picture and I'm really confused why it keeps getting reported that way. Faye Dunaway is the one who said "La La Land".

What happened was Beatty had the wrong envelope. When he opened it, it said "Emma Stone, La La Land." This confused him, which is why there's an odd pause after he opens it. He shows it to Faye Dunaway, so she can see that it looks like they have the wrong envelope. She thinks he's letting her read the winner and, for some reason, ignores the Emma Stone part and just reads the movie.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:59 AM   #8
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Fallout wins:

Old 02-27-2017, 07:23 AM   #9
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

La La Land blew a 3-1 series lead.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #10
digamma
Torchbearer

Lost in all of this is that Kimmel was really, really good.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:57 AM   #11
Ramzavail
College Starter

I thought he was good and I don't even watch his show that often but isn't all this Matt Damon stuff overplayed?
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #12
Butter
Coordinator

Jordan Horowitz says gimme that card and get me off of this stage. I mean, at least he took it like a man.

So, who gets fired? Stage manager? Accountants? All of the above?

And Warren Beatty, couldn't you have stopped the proceedings when the envelope clearly said "Actress in a Leading Role" and the card clearly said "Emma Stone"? Is it possible to have less common sense than this? I mean, I guess he was sort of trying and Faye Dunaway didn't help him when she basically said "stop fucking with the audience" and snatched the card and actually read it. You can hear him faintly saying "but the card says 'Emma Stone'" as the camera shows La La Land's celebration.

Also, I thought as people were running behind them that there was some kind of protest that was spilling onto the stage that security was trying to get a hold of.

I guess this is why you watch live events though, for the craziness.

Last edited by Butter : 02-27-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #13
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Beatty was doing what he could with a confusing situation. Dunaway was more in the wrong for just blurting out what was on the card without actually reading it.

But, really, the fault is with whomever put that card in their hands.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Seemed like the perfect opportunity for Trump to tweet, 'Hollywood might want to spend less time roasting me and more time getting the right envelope.'

But that's a bit too creative for Donald I suppose.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #15
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Seemed like the perfect opportunity for Trump to tweet, 'Hollywood might want to spend less time roasting me and more time getting the right envelope.'

But that's a bit too creative for Donald I suppose.

Seems like a perfect opportunity for you to shut the fuck up.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #16
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Beatty was doing what he could with a confusing situation. Dunaway was more in the wrong for just blurting out what was on the card without actually reading it.

But, really, the fault is with whomever put that card in their hands.

I guess the fault is with lots of people tangentially, but MOSTLY with the people who put that card in their hands.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:47 AM   #17
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
I thought he was good and I don't even watch his show that often but isn't all this Matt Damon stuff overplayed?

no
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #18
Johnny93g
College Starter

Beatty handled it amazing. Nothing was his fault. I was very impressed with what he did. Love the man. Legend!
TML
Old 02-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #19
Johnny93g
College Starter

Oh, and i didn't think Moonlight was all that great. The first third, with Ali was very good. The rest, meh. Guess im missing something that others saw.
TML
Old 02-27-2017, 08:51 AM   #20
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Rabid Oscars fan? LOL
Old 02-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #21
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

BTW, a huge missed opportunity by the guy who accepted the award for the OJ documentary. He just won the Oscar for a movie that clearly highlights a scenario that details the need for more focus on domestic abuse and he chooses to speak out against 'police violence'. That did not go over well with the ladies that were watching the show in our group.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Rabid Oscars fan? LOL

Apparently.

I mean, you took a little dig at the President at the end of the gag yet I still thought it wasn't too terrible for a Monday morning.

Maybe if you passed out Snickers ...
Old 02-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #23
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I love how Faye Dunaway just disappeared. Nope, not dealing with this.

Also I heard that Emma Stone said her winning card was with her publicist when best picture was announced. I imagine that they have duplicates of the cards so I believe that they handed out the wrong card and this isn't some big conspiracy.

Does this make Steve Harvey feel better or worse?
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #24
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Steve Harvey on Twitter: "Good morning everybody! Went to sleep early last night. So... what I miss? #Oscars"
Old 02-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #25
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

And.......

Miss Universe on Twitter: "Have your people call our people - we know what to do. #Oscars #MissUniverse"
Old 02-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #26
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
BTW, a huge missed opportunity by the guy who accepted the award for the OJ documentary. He just won the Oscar for a movie that clearly highlights a scenario that details the need for more focus on domestic abuse and he chooses to speak out against 'police violence'. That did not go over well with the ladies that were watching the show in our group.

Isn't this more of a criticism about the documentary itself? I mean, a huge focus of it was on police violence (specifically Rodney King), the environment in LA and why it set the scene for the OJ trial to play out the way it did.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:23 AM   #27
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Apparently.

I mean, you took a little dig at the President at the end of the gag yet I still thought it wasn't too terrible for a Monday morning.

Maybe if you passed out Snickers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Mizzou B-ball fan This user is on your Ignore List.

Best decision I ever made on these boards, yet every so often I can't help myself. Don't worry, the other 4 will remain hidden and uncommented upon, though I'm sure they're up a similar "feigning interest but sticking in pointless social commentary" alley.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #28
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that Butter's point was that something newsworthy happened that wasn't about Trump. And, of course, a Trump fan1 had to come in and say, "Hey, you know what? TRUMP!"

Someone somewhere wasn't talking about Trump, so you had to come in and fix that.

The whole thing is a bit exhausting, though not worthy of an F-bomb IMO.

1.And, yes, now we get into the whole debate where you say you aren't really a Trump fan and it was really about her emails and the librul media etc. etc. etc.. Fine. Whatever.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #29
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I think that Butter's point was that something newsworthy happened that wasn't about Trump. And, of course, a Trump fan1 had to come in and say, "Hey, you know what? TRUMP!"

Someone somewhere wasn't talking about Trump, so you had to come in and fix that.

And, yes, now we get into the whole debate where you say you aren't really a Trump fan and it was really about her emails and the librul media etc. etc. etc.. Fine. Whatever.

I voted for Johnson. Trump's not my problem. Johnson would have already fired off a few well deserved tweets while sitting in a cloud of pot smoke in the Oval Office.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #30
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Best decision I ever made on these boards, yet every so often I can't help myself. Don't worry, the other 4 will remain hidden and uncommented upon, though I'm sure they're up a similar "feigning interest but sticking in pointless social commentary" alley.

Judging from your first barb, you should ignore everyone to avoid looking so oversensitive.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #31
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Maybe not, but I'm pretty liberal with the f word here, it's something I say quite often in speech with my wife and it spills over.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #32
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

It is in extremely poor taste to say who is on your ignore list.

But out of all the annoying people on this board, you choose the harmless MMBF? Look, his take on sports is completely off the wall, and I myself have ridiculed him for it countless times, but he is never a jerk about it.

Now, fi we want to get into a discussion on who the board is better off without, well that could be fun!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #33
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Poor Warren Beatty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Oh, and i didn't think Moonlight was all that great. The first third, with Ali was very good. The rest, meh. Guess im missing something that others saw.

I'm with you on this. Saw it that afternoon, but I didn't think it was that great. The first part was really good. I even thought the second part was good as well, but it missed on the last part.

Quote:

Did you watch the documentary? A lot of it is about police violence and how that set the stage. They go over the same things in the miniseries People vs. O.J. Simpson (which opened with the Rodney King beating) as well.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #34
mckerney
Coordinator

And here I thought the madness was that Suicide Squad can now be referred to as The Academy Award Winning Suicide Squad.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #35
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post

Also I heard that Emma Stone said her winning card was with her publicist when best picture was announced. I imagine that they have duplicates of the cards so I believe that they handed out the wrong card and this isn't some big conspiracy.

Does this make Steve Harvey feel better or worse?

I read that there is a complete set of cards on each side of stage, so Stone's card must have come from the pile on the opposite side.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post

She's 76. At some point you probably develop a certain amount of "nope, I ain't EVEN..." leeway.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #37
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
She's 76. At some point you probably develop a certain amount of "nope, I ain't EVEN..." leeway.

My father in law has reached that stage. We term it the "I don't give a sh$%" stage of your life.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #38
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
It is in extremely poor taste to say who is on your ignore list.

Is it? Man, maybe you should put me on ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade
But out of all the annoying people on this board, you choose the harmless MMBF? Look, his take on sports is completely off the wall, and I myself have ridiculed him for it countless times, but he is never a jerk about it.

Our definitions of "harmless" must be different.

And that's.... ok.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #39
RainMaker
General Manager

Anyone think this was done on purpose? Not that the presenters and such were on board, but just that some people decided to slip him the wrong envelope and watch chaos ensue.

I'm not a big conspiracy guy but it seems really convenient that this would take place on the biggest award of the night and cause such a huge viral incident for a show that has slowly been losing relevance.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #40
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There's no way PWC would willingly allow that. This is a major hit to their brand. They don't want to look like careless buffoons in front of a billion viewers.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #41
Butter
Coordinator

I've seen that version of events. I do not know why it took almost 2 full minutes to correct the mistake when you have an accountant on either side of the stage, standing with people in charge of the show. They knew right away it was wrong, but it seemed like they had a real problem stopping the momentum of the train wreck once it was off the tracks.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #42
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There's no way PWC would willingly allow that. This is a major hit to their brand. They don't want to look like careless buffoons in front of a billion viewers.

Yeah that's the only thing holding me back completely on a conspiracy. But it just feels way too convenient how it happened. It also seems like something that would be impossible to have happen.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #43
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I have had my overreactions to the ridiculous nonstop political posting, too, but this seems way over the top. Lighten up, Francis. MBBF actually said something mildly amusing and took a dig at Trump (which if I recall from your own posting is perfectly fine with you).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:05 PM   #44
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And Warren Beatty, couldn't you have stopped the proceedings when the envelope clearly said "Actress in a Leading Role" and the card clearly said "Emma Stone"? Is it possible to have less common sense than this? I mean, I guess he was sort of trying and Faye Dunaway didn't help him when she basically said "stop fucking with the audience" and snatched the card and actually read it. You can hear him faintly saying "but the card says 'Emma Stone'" as the camera shows La La Land's celebration.

Butter dola.

Also a bit harsh. The real culprit here was who gave them the card. It was Beatty's and Dunaway's job to crack a joke and read a name off of a card, in front of all of Hollywood's elite and millions of TV viewers. They are at minimum, what, in their 70s?

I would like to see how well you handle a moment that huge when something completely unexpected happens.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #45
RainMaker
General Manager

If there was a conspiracy, I wonder if the plan was just to send them out with the wrong card, have them notice Emma Stone's name, fumble around, then have a producer run out the correct one. Plan went haywire when Faye read off the movie instead.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #46
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, that would be extremely difficult. Your mind would be racing, and you would be feeling the pressure of all the people watching. It looked like he was showing it to her to see if she agreed something was up, and then she just read the name of the movie. It would be tough to look to the people in the wings and ask "Is this right?" in that moment.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #47
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Beatty is also 79. I wonder if he was, oh, 20-30 years younger, he may have said something like "I think I have the wrong card", but I wonder if he thought he was having a 'senior moment' or something and went to Dunaway for help.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #48
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I've seen that version of events. I do not know why it took almost 2 full minutes to correct the mistake when you have an accountant on either side of the stage, standing with people in charge of the show. They knew right away it was wrong, but it seemed like they had a real problem stopping the momentum of the train wreck once it was off the tracks.

First responder types are probably the only people who receive sufficient enough training and also have the discipline to snap into their contingency/emergency plans virtually immediately. My guess is the top scenarios of "what could go wrong?" at awards shows have more to do with busted mics/cameras, lost broadcast signals, etc and not a presenter being handed the wrong card which has never happened before.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #49
Butter
Coordinator

I'm going to just assume that they weren't paying attention when Emma Stone won the Oscar about 3 minutes prior, because if you come out on stage and have the wrong envelope that says in 2 places "this is the wrong envelope" compared to what you know you are supposed to be doing, I think in any reasonable person's mind, that would throw up some red flags. Now that there's a sentence.

Seemed like Warren was trying to do the right thing but just didn't know how to handle it without embarrassing somebody. And before you knows it, now people are on stage accepting awards they didn't win.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:26 PM   #50
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I have had my overreactions to the ridiculous nonstop political posting, too, but this seems way over the top. Lighten up, Francis. MBBF actually said something mildly amusing and took a dig at Trump (which if I recall from your own posting is perfectly fine with you).

I would like to respond to this with your own quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
I sometimes fucking hate all you guys. Really, with all the love in my heart. If any one of you spent a second trying to understand anyone who disagrees with you instead of just whipping out your shafts and comparing political ideological sizes, maybe we as a country could get past the division and move forward together.

But none of you are interested in that. You would rather be "right" in a shit hole country than wrong in a good and strong one.

---------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I would like to see how well you handle a moment that huge when something completely unexpected happens.

I have been in a spelling bee when I was 9 or 10, and I would argue that the degree of difficulty of what Beatty and Dunaway did was about 10x easier. But I didn't know Beatty was almost eighty, so thanks for that piece of information. I'll just chalk it up to being almost 80 and confused.