Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
RendeR
Coordinator

Endless Universe: GAME ON INDEFINITE HOLD

In the vastness of space it becomes inevitable that as time passes the intelligent races of the universe will encounter one another.

It is also inevitable that at some point they will go to war. In our universe, war has become all encompassing. Peace, while possible in short spurts of time, generally causes economic problems to societies who have spent millenia at war.

Your task, should you choose to accept it, its to lead your people to victory.

The game will be deadline based, once each new turn begins the next deadline will be posted.

Each new player starts off with the following basic technologies:
1 Home star system
Warships
Cargo Ships
Level 1 defense (Armor, shields, ablatives, deflectors, reflectors, capacitors etc etc etc)
Level 1 Offense (Laser Phaser, mass Driver, Neutron Cannon, blasters, ion canons etc etc etc)
Level 1 Engines (Relative speed In-system)
Level 1 FTL (relative speed between systems)

As the game moves along players may spend their Action points to do the following:

Research and Development to gain technology
Exploration to discover new star systems (and habitable planets)
Building new Units (points based on the unit and number being built)

For now the newly discovered planets will be auto-colonized. I'm not trying to focus on the colonization side, but more the combat side of things.

Combat is not distance dependant. We're not on a map. Player A through Player Z may attack anyone at any time as long as they have the actions to do so. And the units!

All information/actions done by the players must be sent in a PM to me. I will then correlate all actions and post the results in story form.

This is a totally raw work in progress so thing will change regularly and without much warning!

To join the Endless Universe PM me with the following info:

Race Name
Race type (Humanoid, insectoid, avian, whatever. If there is a picture you can find online for what your race looks like, include a link so I can include it in your write up.)
Empire colors/Banner (color scheme or picture of a banner to represent you)

Thats it for now, I'll post a deadline as soon as we have something to have a deadline for

Last edited by RendeR : 02-18-2009 at 07:48 PM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
Tasan
College Starter

This sounds like a lot of fun. PM on the way.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Tasan
College Starter

So has anyone else signed up?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

About to.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
RendeR
Coordinator

I have 4 currently. I will be posting something in a little while. PM's will be coming to everyone as I get them out.

First Turn deadline is Tuesday at 8pm. I'll edit the thread title to show that.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
RendeR
Coordinator

As the galaxy spins and time passes on like a great wheel, the intelligent races of the universe peer out at the stars and think "is anyone else out there?"

Each of you have explored your home star systems and colonized your planets. You have found evidence of the "old ones" a star faring race that apparently seeded the galaxy with life.

You have discovered the technology to go to other stars, and now you are on your way to discovery!

The game has begun, there is no specified time for it to end. As long as we have players, we will have a game.

Deadline is set in the title all actions must be time stamped by 8:00, at 8:01 your actions become the actions for the NEXT turn.

I will be putting together a mini website with information about each Race (not the owning player) If you want to write up a history, descriptive information or any stories about your peoples PM them to me here (if its really long email it and PM me that you emailed) If I don't get picture ideas for something from you I will use my own judgment and find something to use on the web pages.

This is totally raw stuff, I have no real overall plan other than to see what you guys come up with within the bare bones I have created. I will modify, add to and create more for the game as it moves along.

Thread wise please do not share information about your race specifically. If you discover another race you will be told in your end of turn PMs and at that point you can PM with that race.

End of turn write up will generally be informative and sometimes story-like, depends on how busy I am at the time. Anything you should keep to yourselves will be PM'd anything that is free for everyone to know will be in thread.

Questions can always be posted here or PM'd to me.

Enjoy!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

In. Sending you a PM now.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
RendeR
Coordinator

Welcome Jets! I'll get your initial information out to you as soon as I can.

In response to some questions I received:

You only need 1 FTL drive on your ships.

You can put multiple engines on them as that does improve speed in-system and in combat.

Exploring is done automagically. No colony ships needed. If you explore and succeed you *POOF* have a new star system and higher income.

There is a benefit to larger cargo capacities, but it won't become important until certain things happen as the game goes on.

When I add updates or important information I will try to highlite it like this so no one misses anything.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Taking bets on who breaks out the Master of Orion quotes first.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #10
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

this should be fun. I sent in my pm too.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Taking bets on who breaks out the Master of Orion quotes first.

having never played it it wouldn't do much for me anyway =)
Old 01-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
RendeR
Coordinator

As the galaxy turns the seedling races begin their inexorable spread across the stars. Who will find who? How large can any one empire become? With technological advancement comes a decision, do you use your power for the good of all? or just yourself? Do you wage war? or avoid it and simply colonize?

Only time, will tell.

At this time (aka this post) Nothing has been found by anyone.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
RendeR
Coordinator

PLease note: Put (race name) Turn # Actions

As the title of your PM's with your orders in them please. As more players join up my inbox will get all sorts of screwed up =) thank you!

I have received orders from:
The Ssshthall
The Shizod
The Angellus
The Aikeron

I have begun working on a website to hold informatoin about the game but I am also learning to use a new interface to do so so don't hold your breath (or whatever you do thats like breathing) waiting to see it =)

Last edited by RendeR : 01-27-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #14
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Apparently we made a secret house rule: Your race's name must start with an A or S.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #15
RendeR
Coordinator

*chuckle* it is funny that those 4 did that, however there are 2 others that don't fit that rule.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #16
RendeR
Coordinator

Day one Draws to a close with our seedlings testing the waters of the universe. none have encountered anyone or anything as yet. Will they tomorrow? Tune in again, same bad time, same bad writing

Day 2 Deadline tomorrow at 8pm est. Thread title updated.

Last edited by RendeR : 01-27-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #17
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
*chuckle* it is funny that those 4 did that, however there are 2 others that don't fit that rule.

Then those races must die first.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #18
RendeR
Coordinator

I have day 2 orders from the following races:

Aikeron
Norheim
Ssshthall
Angellus
Shizod

Last edited by RendeR : 01-28-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #19
RendeR
Coordinator

Many apologies for not posting last night. Our campus network was frazzled all night. I will post last nights results when I get to work today.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #20
RendeR
Coordinator

More time passes and our fledgling civilizations take to the stars. Tiny bright lights of exploration flitting amongst the cavernous emptiness that we call the universe.

The Aikeron Explore star systems, but find only empty space.

The Angellus Scientists improved their FTL DRIVE! They get around the universe faster!

The Ghogians have stagnated.

The Norheim Set to building and study intensely, but to no avail.

The Shizod Explore far away stars and discover useless rock and ice.

The Ssshthall seek new worlds only to find emptiness, their scientists thought they had discovered something new, but it wasn't.

PM's coming to everyone shortly. New Deadline Tonight at 8pm, sorry for the short time today.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #21
RendeR
Coordinator

All PM's ave been sent. Turn 3 is underway!
Old 01-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #22
RendeR
Coordinator

The Aikeron

For God Knows How Long the Aikeron were mostly humanoid in appearance. Unlike your baseline humans, they were heavily nocturnal creatures. Their natural eyesight allowed them to see a far different visual spectrum than most species, allowing them to see quite cleary in the blackest nights. This characteristic carries on even now, with most planetary structures and ships not requiring internal lighting.

Being originally nocturnal hunters, mental and 'pack' awareness were key. As the millenia progressed, mental communication evolved from simple pack instinct to a higher level telepathic bond. Today, while each member of the species is an individual, they possess a mental link to one another, allowing for group decisions to be conducted on a higher level. Back in the good ole days of inter-racial warfare, this link was severed, as each faction cut off their minds from one another, trying to achieve dominance. The peace/planetary unity process was rapidly sped up due to the re-establishment of this racial quasi hive mind.

Science progressed rapidly once the Aikeron stopped killing one another. Billions of creative minds all being able to share their input and ideas in near-instant mental communication made for rapid discovery and innovation. As the planet focused on their intellectual and technological unity, the time spent in telepathic medication increased, slowly causing the major evolutionary shift from matter-based life into beings of pure energy - the corporeal body was simply no longer necessary.

The slow evolutionary shift away from corporeal form of course, spawned several necessary innovations - today's 'encounter suits' were originally created to manipulate mechnical devices. While most of their technology today is activated by mental interface, the parts themselves still require direct physical interaction from time to time.

Of course, with much of their history and evolutionary path being ingrained in deep telepathic bonds, and departure from traditional physical forms, it makes contact with other beings rather difficult. The concept of language does not really exist for them, as their means of communication hardly requires it. Their encounter suits can send and process sound just fine (prudent planning in the event of finding alien life who use "vulgar" and "inefficient" verbal communication - obviously there are animal life forms on their planet who communicate with sound, so they're at least aware that some beings make noise).

Their inter-racial wars were not about land/empire building, they were about control. It was thought that there could be one faction of like-minded individuals who could dominate the mental link that bound them, forcing all to think and act the "proper" way. It was about binding the race under one set of principles, and dictating those principles until there was no dissent in the mental collective. The land itself was irrelevant - except to use to construct means with which to fully enforce their views. Centuries of war and technological/evolutionary stagnation made them finally realize that it was their individuality and alternate views that made their species strong - when they are united and constantly sharing new ideas, they develop. When they close themselves off and try and eradicate opposing views, they stagnate.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #23
RendeR
Coordinator

Turn 3 Orders received:

The Aikeron
The Norheim
The Ssshthall

Last edited by RendeR : 01-29-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #24
RendeR
Coordinator

OK, so I blew the updates last night!! Go me.. yeah, I suck.

Ok, everyone get in your orders for turn 3 and 4 based on what you know right now, I will process turns 3 and 4 tonight If you were late with turn 3 this is a freebie to get it in normally because I'm a dumbass and didn't keep up with things =)

SO:
Everyone give me turns 3 and 4 by 8pm est tonight and we'll be up to date and take the weekend off.

I WILL update everything tonight, probably late.

We will then have turn 5 deadline MONDAY at 8PM EST.

From here on out we will play turns every weekday evening at 8pm EST unless something very unforeseen occurs. I will post in thread if there is a change to that.

Thanks for your patience!! I'll try to be better about updating every night!
Old 01-31-2009, 11:08 PM   #25
Tasan
College Starter

So, are we still doing this?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #26
RendeR
Coordinator

Yes

Old 02-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #27
RendeR
Coordinator

At the end of turn 4 we find our young races exploring the universe and tempting fate with new technologies:

The Aikeron search several likely star systems... in one they find a rocky planet that might be suitable for mining resources, but after several techtonics tests they discover the entire crust to be perhaps a meter deep on average....it got quite warm as they blasted back into space. A second world looked very intriguing as it was covered with jungle life. however it proved inhospitable as the primary liquid on theplanet was acid that nearly ate through the landing craft...alas, still no new worlds for the Aikeron.

On the home front scientists have discovered a new and unusual way to control pests in food processing plants, unfortunately it seems to be simply letting the rodents eat the food..... No new technologies have yet been discovered.

The Angellus
have built up their defenses and scour the local star systems for colonizable planets. Not content with finding worlds they can live on easily, they are looking into dome technology which would allow them to colonize almost any world. Unfortunately, nothing has come of anything as yet....

The Norheim invested a large amount of resources into their defense program, however this is to the detriment of their exploration and Research departmets, neither of which have anything to report.

THe Shizod have made a breakthrough in Hyperdrive technology! THeir ships are faster and more efficient during FTL flight! Unfortunately, like most races they have not found any new star systems at this time.

The Ssshthall
scientists have discovered a way to harden their ships defenses! And yet again, it seems that space truly is a vast and empty place. No colonizations during turn 4.

On a GM's note: You guys are the unluckiest people I know. 3 of you rolled 1 point off your colonization chances and 2 others almost got 2 tech upgrades. Chaos at work I say =)

On to Turn 5....Hopefully someone will discover a new star system. Because as soon as that happens the chances of you meeting each other starts to increase!!

Last edited by RendeR : 02-01-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #28
RendeR
Coordinator

Our 5th full turn advances upon us and the races are dealing with some internal turmoil. Some are handling it quickly and directly, others are playing the political game and reaping its benefits....if thats what you want to call them.

The Aikeron pour more money into their exploration department only to have a nearly fatal loss of a colony ship. The Navigator reset their heading and nearly got them captured within a singularity!! Alas in all the excitement aboard ship as they saved themselves from certain annihilation they were unable to find a suitable star system.

The Angellus
More exploration futility befalls the Angellus. Again, no fruit of their labors.

The Norheim The deep space exploration department frinally kicked into gear with a larrge vestment of resources from the government, unfortunately early returns are...nil.

One minor rule change based on what I'm seeing in the statistics:

You no longer have to purchase exploration in blocks of 5 points. Allocate watever amount you wish each turn to R&D and Exploration.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #29
RendeR
Coordinator

And on the 6th day....

Nothing happens. No really. your peoples apparently all took a bender because nothing happened other than a single ship getting built.

This is almost looking like a Monte Python skit. I go run the numbers, I flip over to random.org to test the radicals and....nothing. I try them twice. NOTHING.

Its literally a challenge for me now. I wait on te edge of my seat thinking "this could be the Cardinals YEAR!!" oh wait...thats another thread.

But back to our story:

On the 6th day our young, wanding, apparently just hapy to be here, races continue to explore and research and play hopscotch with small children.

Till tomorrow night
Old 02-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #30
DanGarion
Coordinator

Question, when do the cars start racing around the track?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #31
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

We are the worst space faring races of all time.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #32
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I blame television
Old 02-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #33
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Question, when do the cars start racing around the track?

Is this a question directed at the NASCAR thread or am I mising a joke? =)
Old 02-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #34
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Is this a question directed at the NASCAR thread or am I mising a joke? =)

Yeah, I'm waiting for the next race still
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #35
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Yeah, I'm waiting for the next race still

Oh lord, sorry man, I still have all that data but its such a time sink. I'll try and get another one in soon though.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #36
RendeR
Coordinator

IT seems the universe is not without a sense of humor, for 7 turns our young races have studied andsearched and researched and developed, all for nothing, or at least very little. NOT SO on turn 8!

In 4 sectars of the galaxy colonial ships land on brave new worlds, seeking out new life, and obliterating it in respect of their own needs and wishes.

Planets galore and moons, good god man the MOONS! (moons will become integral as the game progresses, they're just numbers for now)

The Shhhthall pour themselves into research and re-engineer their ships to be bigger and stronger than ever before!

As these new star systems get settled in and developed fully, your peoples all realize that the universe is vast, but if there are habitable planets this close by, then perhaps there are other inelligent races nearby as well?

Now that more than 1 race has a second star system in their empire, with every new star system that emerges there is a chance that your races will discover one another. once that occurs I will contact the parties via IM and communication on whatever level shall be done in that way, copying me on each message so that I may post what needs posted.

This is now becoming VERY interesting =) Very interesting indeed!

Last edited by RendeR : 02-04-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #37
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Not so incompetant now, ARE we, you cheeky universe, you.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #38
RendeR
Coordinator

Fair warning!! I will be taking Telle out on the town Friday evening so there won't be anything posted friday night until sometime over the weekend depending on my recovery time =)

Really amazing developments in turn 8 Go YOU guys =)
Old 02-07-2009, 02:58 AM   #39
RendeR
Coordinator

Sorry I missed turn 8 guys!

I will have turns 8 and 9 updated and a review posted no later than Sunday around noon. Been busy busy busy.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #40
RendeR
Coordinator

Through turns 8 and 9 we find our young races exploring the universe and tempting fate with new technologies:

The Aikeron search several likely star systems... They survey and they search but spce is indeed a large place. On the home front scientists have discovered that new and inventive technologies are about as common as new star systems to colonize....They did make busy though building up some formidable defenses....

The Angellus Like the Aikeron search and survey and study and toss in an airborne mambo every now and then, but the results are the same. Nothing new at this time.

The Norheim have taken a nap. But while napping they discovered how to improve the accuracy of their weaponry.

THe Shizod people are a bunch of geeks or something, they study their asses off (do they have asses?) the point is every single Shizod puts their effort into developing, or exploring, or researching. its insane, its like revenge of the nerds gone GLOBAL! I think they actually ran out of tape for their glasses..... Anyway, the Shizod have learned how to engineer much bugger ships.

The Ssshthall Having developed some technology while everyone else was out colonizing have decided to spread themselves out a bit, they discovered a new and wonderful star system!!

Sorry oi got tied up guys. Things happen. Thats why i wanted to run this in a turn based manner, since you never truly lose any resources there isn't a major damage to the game if I have to delay a day or three sometimes. Woohoo! Keep up the good work!

PMs should be out to everyone momentarily.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #41
Kodos
Resident Alien

Death to all of my alien bretheren!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #42
Tasan
College Starter

I'm guessing Kodos's bunch are the mildly retarded, directionally challenged lot?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #43
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm not actually in the game, but I still say: DEATH TO ALL!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #44
Tasan
College Starter

NICE!

We have an audience! A heckling audience, but an audience none the less!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #45
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'm not actually in the game, but I still say: DEATH TO ALL!

My aliens are cooler than your kind.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #46
RendeR
Coordinator

Nice a viewing group of...one retarded alien... You should sign up Kodos
Old 02-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #47
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

WE NEED MORE ALIENS TO SUBJUGA....I mean establish peaceful and happy relations, for the benefit of all tentacle-kind.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #48
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
WE NEED MORE ALIENS TO SUBJUGA....I mean establish peaceful and happy relations, for the benefit of all tentacle-kind.

the tentacle is mightier than all to be sure. "Peaceful relations" benifit all.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #49
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Nice a viewing group of...one retarded alien... You should sign up Kodos

Actually, yeah, you should sign up. The more the bloodier!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #50
Kodos
Resident Alien

I was never a D&D player. Okay, I did try it once. But it didn't catch on.