Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Which Star Wars movies did you enjoy more?
The Prequels 14 45.16%
The Sequels 15 48.39%
They're equal 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Star Wars: Prequels or Sequels

Which did you enjoy more? Poll to come.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:34 PM   #2
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

meeza gonna have to think about this one
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

While they had their problems (no plan), I still enjoyed the sequels for the most part. I haven't rewatched the prequels, but I really didn't enjoy the prequels much aside from Obi Wan. I didn't even enjoy Natalie Portman's presence, which I wouldn't have thought possible going in to those movies. I may watch them again at some point, along with the Clone Wars and Bad Batch stuff. Maybe I'll be less harsh on them a second time through.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Give me anything from that universe. Saw the trailer for the new series the other day and was so jazzed up.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:44 PM   #5
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The prequels, and I never thought I would say that. I am far from the hyper-critical fan, but the last movie of the sequels ruined the whole final series for me. It was just complete trash.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:18 PM   #6
spleen1015
Coordinator

The Last Jedi kills the sequels. It being complete shit is part of the reason why the last one wasn't that good. If they weren't trying to make up for that POS, things could have been different.

The fact that they didn't have all 3 movies mapped out before they started, is crazy to me.

There are rumors that they are going to retcon the sequels. Nothing would make me happier concerning SW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Give me anything from that universe. Saw the trailer for the new series the other day and was so jazzed up.

Which series is this?

Last edited by spleen1015 : 11-03-2021 at 01:20 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:20 PM   #7
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Same, I love all the Star Wars. I appreciated the sequels more because I never thought we'd get them.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #8
spleen1015
Coordinator

Didn't know this dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMqnpSclqEc
Old 11-03-2021, 01:25 PM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think he's referring to the Boba Fett series.

Edit: spleen beat me to the punch!

Last edited by Kodos : 11-03-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

The Force Awakens was kinda decent, so I guess the sequels.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

On their own bases and divorced from the hype, the Prequels were far more interesting and entertaining.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #12
Bobble
College Prospect

The Adjacents? Rogue One and Solo were better than either of those sets. Heck, Star Wars: Rebels and Star Wars: The Bad Batch animated series were possibly better (or at least less infuriating).
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #13
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I gotta go with the prequels. They gave us something new and the the visuals from an aesthetic point of view were fantastic.

The Force Awakens was good but it was essentially a rehash of the original movie.

The Last Jedi was a decent movie but the creators ruined it for me with their political BS.

I don't even recall what the last movie was named but it was just a hot mess despite having Palpatine who I think is among the best villians in cinema history.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:44 PM   #14
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Prequels, but I would rank them 7,3,2,1,8,9

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 11-03-2021 at 04:45 PM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:50 PM   #15
weegeebored
High School Varsity

This is an interesting poll. I love Star Wars but I wouldn't win any trivia contests, so it is more of a platonic kind of love. I have not seen all the movies. Of the prequels I only saw Ep. III. Christensen is such an awful actor he made Portman look bored on screen. And I heard enough about Jar Jar to never want to see I or II. As far as the sequels I enjoyed VII even though I didn't buy into the Finn character and didn't really like Oscar Isaac in his role. I have to watch Rogue again as I was very sick when I saw it the first time, but from what I remember I enjoyed it. Last Jedi was only ok for me. Long-winded in parts (the Luke and Rey storyline - zzzz), and it felt very disjointed. I have not seen Rise of Skywalker as the general consensus is that it is worse than Last Jedi. I will likely watch it eventually. So all things considered I vote sequels, but I can't help thinking that in the right hands all the movies could have been great.

And if Lucas wasn't such a controlling egomaniac we would have had the Thrawn trilogy with the original SW actors instead of the prequels. But I digress...
Old 11-03-2021, 07:27 PM   #16
bob
College Starter

I think if you took eps 1-3 you could edit it down to a pretty good 3 hour movie giving the background of events leading into 4.

To do something similar with the sequels you pretty much have to drop 8 and even then it’s a mess
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll take the old ones, whatever the hell those are considered.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #18
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
The Last Jedi kills the sequels. It being complete shit is part of the reason why the last one wasn't that good. If they weren't trying to make up for that POS, things could have been different.

The fact that they didn't have all 3 movies mapped out before they started, is crazy to me.

There are rumors that they are going to retcon the sequels. Nothing would make me happier concerning SW.

Which series is this?

I did enjoy the movies, but also haven't rewatched them since seeing them in the theaters. I've probably seen the prequels 5-6 times each, and the originals dozens of times.

And yes, it makes no sense that they didn't plan out the series. You think it's all about Snope, then they just axe that storyline, and all of a sudden it's about Palpatine. I knew they had different writers for each movie, but it wasn't surprising to hear later on that they did not have a unified plan to follow.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:08 PM   #19
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Prequels, and it isn't close. They have their issues ... but the sequels *are* issues
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:13 PM   #20
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
This is an interesting poll. I love Star Wars but I wouldn't win any trivia contests, so it is more of a platonic kind of love. I have not seen all the movies. Of the prequels I only saw Ep. III. Christensen is such an awful actor he made Portman look bored on screen. And I heard enough about Jar Jar to never want to see I or II. As far as the sequels I enjoyed VII even though I didn't buy into the Finn character and didn't really like Oscar Isaac in his role. I have to watch Rogue again as I was very sick when I saw it the first time, but from what I remember I enjoyed it. Last Jedi was only ok for me. Long-winded in parts (the Luke and Rey storyline - zzzz), and it felt very disjointed. I have not seen Rise of Skywalker as the general consensus is that it is worse than Last Jedi. I will likely watch it eventually. So all things considered I vote sequels, but I can't help thinking that in the right hands all the movies could have been great.

And if Lucas wasn't such a controlling egomaniac we would have had the Thrawn trilogy with the original SW actors instead of the prequels. But I digress...

Rise of Skywalker is far and away better than Last Jedi.

One problem with it is it had to recover from the disaster that was Last Jedi. Abbrams had some things set up that Last Jedi butchered and he had to undo it all in Rise of Skywalker.

It had other problems, too. The whole trilogy is kind of a mess.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:16 PM   #21
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I would rank them 8, 7, 3, 2, 1, 9

So sequels. The extreme hate for TLJ is still baffling to me.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:22 PM   #22
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I would rank them 8, 7, 3, 2, 1, 9

So sequels. The extreme hate for TLJ is still baffling to me.

I'm the opposite. I can't believe anyone who has watched these movies, understands the characters would think TLJ is a good Star Wars movie.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:02 PM   #23
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

8 is the one that broke me and made me not interested in Star Wars movies anymore, at least in the main line. I basically view 1-7 as being 'main plot' Star Wars movies and 8-9 are just this thing that I ignore and pretend doesn't exist
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:58 AM   #24
Edward64
Head Coach

The prequels really sucked. Not just Jar Jar but the courtship/romantic scenes were done (and acted) so poorly.

Sequel 1 & 2 were solid. No. 3 was way too rushed/choppy but I'll take it over any of the prequels.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:03 AM   #25
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Sequels for me. The sequels as a trilogy are a mess but if watched in isolation at least they are mostly enjoyable movies. The prequels are often actively painful to sit through.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:09 PM   #26
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Neither of them is great, but the prequels are terrible and the sequels are largely just a mess.

I would rank them:

7, 8, 1, 9, 3, 2.

While very unoriginal, Force Awakens was fine and fun in places and really is only not great when looked back as part of the whole.

I liked Last Jedi well enough and loved what they tried to do with the whole Rey's parents were no one (terribly retconned in Skywalker), the whole idea that anyone could have the Force in them, and I liked what they did with Luke.

The Rise of Skywalker was pretty terrible.

Phantom Menace was, also, pretty terrible, but, at least, it had that sweet Darth Maul/Obi Wan/Quigon light saber fight, which was likely the best scene in all six movies.

Revenge of the Sith was not good. At all.

Attack of the Clones is one of the worst, most incoherent movies I've ever seen. So dumb.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:55 PM   #27
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Phantom Menace was, also, pretty terrible, but, at least, it had that sweet Darth Maul/Obi Wan/Quigon light saber fight, which was likely the best scene in all six movies..

Oh yeah. A real martial artist, his moves were sweet.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:23 PM   #28
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I went with sequels. The movies I was most disappointed with of the 6 were 2, 8, and 1 from most to least. 3, 7 and 9 were enjoyable to watch, though 3 had a few cringeworthy scenes. In general I enjoy Abrams movies even if they’re a bit formulaic so maybe not a surprise that 7 and 9 worked for me.

I will say my interest in Star Wars has declined a decent bit since the end of 7. I didn’t like Rogue One and don’t have much desire to see the other offshoots or one offs. Maybe something in the future will change that, who knows.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:52 PM   #29
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The prequels really sucked. Not just Jar Jar but the courtship/romantic scenes were done (and acted) so poorly.

When based on the chemistry and interactions between them, is Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen the least believable on-screen relationship ever?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:01 PM   #30
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

You didn't get all teary-eyed and emotional over Anakin's musings on the nature of sand?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:14 AM   #31
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
You didn't get all teary-eyed and emotional over Anakin's musings on the nature of sand?

While I can't say I have, I will say he has some very valid points and I oft reflect on his musings whenever I go to a beach. He's not wrong. It is, indeed, coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it definitely gets everywhere. Everywhere.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 11-05-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #32
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

The prequels are an abomination while the sequels were just not very good.

7 is basically a soft reboot
8 is by far the most interesting, and anything i genuinely like about the sequels is in this movie. It's mostly too long. I think you can cut a bunch off and this movie is very good.
9 was incredibly stupid
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 01:07 PM   #33
bob
College Starter

At least with the prequels I understood the story they were trying to tell: the origins of Anakin Skywalker and how he became Darth Vader, and how that paralleled the rise of the Empire.

I'm not sure what story the sequels were trying to tell beyond the fact that Anakin didn't matter at all despite the last 6 movies because the Empire and Emperor are still here.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote