Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #201
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Worth mentioning that Notre Dame put together an emotional press conference and spent money on a private investigator over something as dumb as an imaginary girlfriend. They did not do this when a 19 year old student reported that she had been sexually assaulted by a football player, been intimidated via text not to come forward, and then killed herself.

That's not entirely true, I believe they investigated the girl in an attempt to discredit her.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #202
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Worth mentioning that Notre Dame put together an emotional press conference and spent money on a private investigator over something as dumb as an imaginary girlfriend. They did not do this when a 19 year old student reported that she had been sexually assaulted by a football player, been intimidated via text not to come forward, and then killed herself.

This is where the priorities of Notre Dame football is. That's why Jon's post about the charity and videographer is not surprising in the least.

This
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #203
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
The thing that gets me isn't that he would have a fake GF, but that at some point, he or the hoax perpetrators (if not him, although I really doubt that) decided to have her "die". What was the point of that? Not like he wouldn't have had enough sympathy with his grandma dying.

More sympathy and a convenient way to clean up a fake girlfriend at the end of his college career.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #204
PilotMan
Head Coach

Credit to our local baseball team for this.

FLORENCE FREEDOM - Frontier League Independent Professional Baseball

Quote:
MANTI TE'O GIRLFRIEND BOBBLEHEAD COMING TO THE FREEDOM
FLORENCE, KY - The Florence Freedom are excited to announce one of giveaways fans can look forward to during the 2013 season at UC Health Stadium.

On Thursday, May 23 the Freedom will be giving away the Manti Te'o Girlfriend Bobblehead to the first 1000 fans through the gates.

"This will be the best kind of bobblehead a fan could get," Freedom General Manager Josh Anderson said. "Because now fans can make the bobblehead out to be whatever they want it to be."

Yes Freedom fans, the boxes will be empty. But that's where fan imagination can run wild and individual unique stories about what the bobblehead should really look like can begin.

To add to the imaginary fun, section 115 will be blocked and reserved only for fans to sit with their imaginary friends, girlfriends/boyfriends or spouses. There will also be a make pretend kiss cam, air guitar contest and an imaginary food fight outside the Airheads Kids Zone.

Fans are also encouraged to bring their real life significant others to the ballpark that night and enjoy $1 beer or $1 soda during this staple Thirsty Thursday promotion.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #205
kcchief19
Pro Starter

There is nothing more awesome and sad than independent minor league baseball.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #206
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well this bit looks kinda bad for ND
Just from working in PR, this doesn't surprise me or seem too out of place.

It's likely only a handful of people would have know about the investigation, and a YouTube video isn't going to be on the radar of the senior administration of the athletic department. Notre Dame has a separate digital media department of 12 people, and a few hundred overall staff members. I can't imagine the digital media director was looped in, nor would there have been an overall message to a few hundred staff to avoid the girlfriend situation or it would tip people off.

Plus, from my experience, most executives only loop in their PR people after the cows are out of the barn, not before.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #207
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

This is where the priorities of Notre Dame football is. That's why Jon's post about the charity and videographer is not surprising in the least.

Similarly, when the discussion bumps into the issue of his draft stock falling, I can't help but wonder if and/or why fooling the masses of public & media with a fake girlfriend would be deemed a more remarkable offense than assaulting an actual woman (which is frustratingly common enough, that there are always several examples to choose from in each draft), and what that says about our sports/media culture.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #208
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Similarly, when the discussion bumps into the issue of his draft stock falling, I can't help but wonder if and/or why fooling the masses of public & media with a fake girlfriend would be deemed a more remarkable offense than assaulting an actual woman (which is frustratingly common enough, that there are always several examples to choose from in each draft), and what that says about our sports/media culture.

The NFL probably couldn't care less. Unless you are a convicted rapist or murderer or a pedophile.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #209
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
The NFL probably couldn't care less. even if you are a convicted rapist or murderer or a pedophile.

Fixed it for you
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #210
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Fixed it for you

Or dog killer.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #211
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

As far as his draft stock goes, I don't think concerns about the (potential) offense itself would be the issue. The more damaging thing might be concerns about his intelligence and/or his mental and emotional stability.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #212
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
As far as his draft stock goes, I don't think concerns about the (potential) offense itself would be the issue. The more damaging thing might be concerns about his intelligence and/or his mental and emotional stability.

And the ability to survive the taunts both in the locker room and on the field.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #213
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, I'd think 'bad publicity for the team' might figure into the draft equation too, maybe even more than anything to do with his personality, at this point. If you draft the kid, you're drafting his story too, and the questions and attention will follow him into the locker room and onto the field, and likely spill over onto everybody else in some degree. As the tired, old cliche goes, winning changes everything, and if he's immediately successful I'd imagine this thing could disappear from everybody's memories somewhat quickly...if he sucks/struggles, this becomes his legacy.

Of course, he's also got a handful of months for some other jackass to come along and blow him out of the headlines, but this is going to be a tough one to beat, just on the ridiculousness factor.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #214
Logan
Head Coach

Even if it comes out in the worst way, that he completely made it up, and used cancer as a manner of garnering sympathy and publicity, let's not forget what the Tim Tebow situation showed us...all it takes is one team to decide they're willing to look past the flaws and grab him. 31 teams could have him off their draft board.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #215
rowech
Pro Starter

I believe everything in life can be connected to a Seinfeld episode. This one is reminding me of George carrying around a picture of a model to get sympathy after he tells the next woman in line that it is a picture of his dead fiance.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #216
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Friend says Ronaiah Tuiasosopo confessed to Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax - ESPN
Old 01-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #217
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I bet he was trying to find a way to relegate that tattoo to being the 2nd dumbest thing about him. Some tattoos are cool, but his is barbwire biceps taken to the new douche level.

Last edited by stevew : 01-18-2013 at 01:11 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #218
cmp
Pro Rookie

Looks to me like this started as a hoax, and Manti may have really believed she died and did not find out otherwise until December. But, he really did not have a relationship with 'her' and only embellished upon that when it helped his publicity.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #219
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I believe everything in life can be connected to a Seinfeld episode. This one is reminding me of George carrying around a picture of a model to get sympathy after he tells the next woman in line that it is a picture of his dead fiance.

This is more Captain Tuttle from MASH.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #220
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

This story hits home in a way since I have a friend who had a freindationship with this girl from the Far East for roughly 9 years even though they never met. She got tired of it being on the level it was, tracked down his friends, and eventually I was straight with her and it ended. I can not imagine being a in fake relationship like that.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #221
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Nice rundown at Deadspin of how he continued with the narrative about his dead girlfriend after he claimed to find out about the hoax.

What Did Manti Te'o Say About His Dead Girlfriend After He'd Learned She Wasn't Real?

The December 8th one in particular strikes me. At least in the other interviews he was asked directly about the girlfriend. I could see him being embarrassed and just going with it in those situations. But in the Dec. 8th one, he just went there on his own.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #222
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Wow - from ABC - this ruse sounds very sophisticated:

According to ABC News interviews and published reports, Te'o received phone calls, text messages and letters before every football game from his "girlfriend." He was in contact with her family, including a twin brother, a second brother, sister and parents. He called often to check in with them, just as he did with his own family. And "Kekua" kept in contact with Te'o's friends and family, and teammates spoke to her on the phone.
"There are a remarkable number of characters involved. We don't know how many people they represent," Notre Dame Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick said at a news conference this week. "There are male and female characters, brothers, cousins, mother, and we don't know if it's two people playing multiple characters or multiple people."
"It goes to the sophistication of this, that there are all these sort of independent pieces that reinforce elements of the story all the way through," he said.

One of Te'o's teammates who asked not to be identified told ABC News that it was normal for Te'o to pass his phone around to teammates when he was on the line with "Lennay" so they could say hello to her.
"I talked to her," this teammate said. "I wasn't suspicious."
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #223
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

They recreated her being in a hospital with a nurse and doctor. This was absolutely a stunt made by a group of people.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-18-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #224
JediKooter
Coordinator

Dear Sandy Hook Conspiracy Kooks: This is what a real conspiracy looks like.

EOL

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #225
cmp
Pro Rookie

I can't be the only one thinking this ESPN interview actually makes Manti look worse
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #226
RainMaker
General Manager

It's kind of sad that your best defense is to say that you're a total fucking moron.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #227
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Every offensive coordinator now knows they can throw a false look at Manti and he'll be fooled by it.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #228
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

So, never met her. Lied to his Dad when their meeting didn't happen. Found out it was a hoax and continued to say she existed because in his mind she had.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #229
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My first takeaway from the interview recap stories is roughly "This is a college graduate?"
Old 01-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #230
Easy Mac

At least now we know why Notre Dame really lost.

Quote:
Te'o said it affected his play in the game, where Notre Dame lost to Alabama 42-14
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #231
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I agree with you guys that he comes across as an idiot but then, as someone earlier here said, a deuchebag as well when he's asked about why he never went to visit his sick girlfriend:

"It never really crossed my mind. I don't know. I was in school."

Wow, really?
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #232
RainMaker
General Manager

I hope his awareness in Madden is 0.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #233
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
At least now we know why Notre Dame really lost.

I was joking before the game that ND didn't really want to play 'Bama. 'Bama made Tebow cry. Meyer started to get health issues and left for the Big Ten. Honey Badger admitted his recent issues revolved around last year's title game. I figure ND had enough recent issues were they should be in the clear. I mean, what possibly could go wrong? Kelly leaving for the Eagles was likely the smartest thing he could have done.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #234
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
I hope his awareness in Madden is 0.

This deserves some praise.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #235
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Yeah, I agree with you guys that he comes across as an idiot but then, as someone earlier here said, a deuchebag as well when he's asked about why he never went to visit his sick girlfriend:

"It never really crossed my mind. I don't know. I was in school."

Wow, really?

I believe him. There was probably a lot of willful ignorance involved. Considering his age at the time the relationship started it's not too suprising he could be involved in something like that. Then he compounded the situation by telling lies which, if you ever watched the Brady Bunch, never ends well.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #236
Jon
High School Varsity

Was this interview just a Friday news dump? And doesn't he realize he created more questions than answers, especially since he contradicted the ND AD's version of events?
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #237
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Then he compounded the situation by telling lies which, if you ever watched the Brady Bunch, never ends well.

Especially when Hawaii is involved on any level.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #238
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Especially when Hawaii is involved on any level.
[/thread]
Old 01-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #239
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

what worse

lennay kekua or george glass?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #240
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I slept with Te'o's girlfriend last night.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #241
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
What worse...sleeping with Te'o's girlfriend or
Old 01-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #242
DanGarion
Coordinator

At least he didn't go and say, "God has a plan, and this is part of that plan."
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #243
mckerney
Coordinator

Te'o says he won't be able to trust anyone in a relationship, I'd think women would have more problem reputation him now that he's claimed visiting his dying girlfriend in the hospital it's something that never occurred to him.

"Manti! You missed the birth of our first child, why didn't you make it to the delivery room?"
"Oh, I never really thought of going to the hospital. I mean, I was buy eating lunch and everything."
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #244
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

You necrophiliac bastard!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #245
Bad-example
College Starter

You should see Manti's new fake girlfriend. Smokin'.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #246
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post

I heard she's an airhead.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #247
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post

So should he.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #248
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

I think he knew from the beginning and once it started to unravel people around him are covering for him hoping to ride his coattails to either some glory or loot that a possible early 1st brings......
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #249
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I bet he's gay.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #250
BYU 14
Coordinator

Finally

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote