Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2021, 07:14 PM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

So how'd Trick or Treating look in this new COVID world?

I wasn't sure what to expect in my neighborhood this Halloween. There's school tomorrow, kids are just starting to get their COVID shots, etc. Last year what candy we had went pretty quickly because we left it out for kids to take by the door. This year back to the normal routine.

-Almost no little kids at all, and they came while there was still daylight.
-last kids came at about 7:00 or so. About 20 pieces of candy given out.

-Our neighborhood has grown in leaps and bounds this past year because the last parts of it finally had houses built on it, and seemed much more kid friendly than when the original neighborhood was first built 25-30 years ago. But maybe COVID still a factor for parents here.

Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:20 PM   #2
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Not a single kid, though to be fair we hardly ever get more than a few.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:30 PM   #3
cuervo72
Head Coach

Younger Child and a friend manned the porch most of tonight so I don't know exact numbers, but can easily tell it is still way down from its peak. I still think this is largely because our neighborhood has matured; when the houses were built nearly every house was inhabited by a young family. After 20 years we are starting to see some turnover, but a good number of us older families haven't moved.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 10-31-2021 at 07:30 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:32 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Same as last year, which was the same as every year.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:39 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We had a steady stream beginning at 3:00. We pull out the fire pit, bring out a table loaded with food and coolers of beer. Invite 7-8 families. Kids go through our hood which is very insulated and parents hang out. Kids come back eventually and play tag, etc...eat candy and hang out while parents drink in front of the fire. Set upa TV this year for football. One of my favorite nights of the year. Reminds me how blessed I am to have the friends I do.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:42 PM   #6
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Two groups tonight. That's it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:43 PM   #7
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

This is cool.
https://twitter.com/WUTangKids/statu...pb0ZCl3fw&s=19

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:44 PM   #8
Ksyrup

Ours was from 6-8. You don't come early, you don't knock late. Weather was perfect. I think it was 2 years ago, it was upper 30s, 25mph wind, and sleet. Worst 45 minutes of my life. I finally walked off the job in protest of my wife forcing me to be out there.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-31-2021, 07:58 PM   #9
spleen1015
Coordinator

Had about 7 knocks. We are on the back street of out neighborhood, so not much traffic.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:00 PM   #10
miami_fan
Coordinator

My son and I manned our table this year. A friend of mine captains a party boat on the weekend and always bring home whatever is left over in the coolers. For about 5 until 7:30, my son handed out candy being really strict for the older (10 and up) kids and really generous for the younger ones. My friend and I handed out drinks from the coolers for parents. It was not nearly as much as we had two years ago. I would say about 30 families/groups.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:05 PM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm still in a crack motel, but a coworker/friend of mine who just moved into a new house with his wife earlier this month said they got about 50 kids in their 3 hours - about double what I had last year when I was able to partake in a much smaller town.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:29 PM   #12
Edward64
Head Coach

About 70-80 from 6-8:30'ish. Definitely more than last year.

Fun seeing kids in their outfits.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:18 AM   #13
Butter
Coordinator

Great weather, like 50s and no wind. I don't dress up, my wife semi-dresses up as a French person every year, and we added mini-bottles of wine to make it more fun.

We always give out full size candy bars, and got 57 kids this year which was WAY up from last year. It goes from 6-8, but the rush is 6:30-7:30 and there are never any kids after 7:45.

If you come after 7, we're usually giving out 2 bars per kid because my wife is always paranoid we'll run out so we WAY overbuy. We had 132 bars to give out, and something like 45-50 left over.

Last edited by Butter : 11-01-2021 at 07:19 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:58 AM   #14
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

We do it in my in laws neighborhood, which always does Halloween big. It was bigger than last year and felt pretty much back to normal numbers wise.

The difference is that people just stayed back in their driveways and candy was distributed at tables on the curb.

But lots of people with firepits, etc.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 11-01-2021 at 07:58 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:15 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Great weather, like 50s and no wind. I don't dress up, my wife semi-dresses up as a French person every year, and we added mini-bottles of wine to make it more fun.

We always give out full size candy bars, and got 57 kids this year which was WAY up from last year. It goes from 6-8, but the rush is 6:30-7:30 and there are never any kids after 7:45.

If you come after 7, we're usually giving out 2 bars per kid because my wife is always paranoid we'll run out so we WAY overbuy. We had 132 bars to give out, and something like 45-50 left over.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:20 AM   #16
Ksyrup

We have so much leftover candy.

We bought a couple of big bags plus a small bag since we ran out last year and I had to go to the store in the middle of handing out candy to get more. So when the wife and I were at Kroger on Saturday and saw 50% off all Halloween candy, we couldn't pass up a deal.

We now have a 2.5 gallon ziplock filled to the brim.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-01-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #17
Butter
Coordinator

I want to know why some clearly psychopathic kids, when presented with a myriad of great candy, would pick fucking Milky Way.

The worst.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:34 AM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We didn't go last year so no idea what that looked like. Also, we just left a bowl outside maybe half was taken so no kid count either. We've had just over 100 when the setup was perfect to around 40 when it was cool and rainy.

But this year, compared to years' past, there appeared to be fewer. I was on kid duty this year while my wife handed out treats so we didn't have an exact count (I usually do tally marks just because I'm curious). We had about 2/3rds of our candy go, so that would probably mean 50~60 kids, though some of that was just leaving the bowl unguarded at the end of the night and encouraging the older kids to maybe take a few extra to empty it out.

One of the things I noticed in walking around was that the number of houses with lights off was way up from previous years. Our neighborhood is getting older but not that fast. I think it was more a function of the pandemic. We also saw a number of bowls on the porch or bowls on the driveway.

The long and short is that COVID was still a factor, even in Texas, where a decent chunk of the population wants to pretend it's not happening.

The weather was great - low 70s. The Astros game may have cut into traffic a bit, too. However, there were a number of people out watching in the garage and one of our neighbors across the street had a projection tv set up.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #19
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I want to know why some clearly psychopathic kids, when presented with a myriad of great candy, would pick fucking Milky Way.

The worst.

Smarties, Skittles, Snickers, Kit Kat, and Milky Way. Tootsie Rolls & Candy Corn are way down on preference list.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:03 PM   #20
BYU 14
Coordinator

We had 30-40, about the same as last year, but down a lot from 5-6 years ago. There has been a big trend here to trunk or treat through churches, some neighborhood associations and other organizations which cuts heavily into that number.

It does make sense for parents I guess, spend an hour at your big mega church vs tracking your kids through neighborhoods door to door for 2+ hours, but I still miss it
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:03 PM   #21
PilotMan
Head Coach

We had a lot. Didn't count, but burned through 3 big bags in about 40 minutes, then called it and went inside and watched "The Ritual". I'd totally recommend that movie. Solid psychological/supernatural horror movie.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #22
Kodos
Resident Alien

We had zero kids come. Our street has a blind s-curve on one end and another dicey curve at the other end. I think parents just go to more trick-or-treat friendly neighborhoods. We had Halloween lights on and Halloween music playing, but still no takers.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-02-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:23 AM   #23
Butter
Coordinator

My son bought a house this summer in a smallish neighborhood, got super geared up, very decorated, bought a lot of candy, and had 1 visitor. It's a bummer