Old 07-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #101
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Just grabbed 6865 for my son!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #102
Grover
Pro Starter

Now that I have an income again, I was looking forward to being able to complete my Kingdoms sets before pick-a-bricking to build some walls, a moat, etc.

I was disappointed to see the Lego website only has the Joust available for sale.

I currently have...

30062 which was a special for spending over X amount on the website. Just an archer with a target.

7950, 7949, 7188, 7187, 6918, 7948, 7947, 7946.

By my count, I'm missing two sets.

Medieval Market Village, The Joust, both of which are at Brickset.com. Phenomenal.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner

Last edited by Grover : 07-22-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #103
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Just grabbed 6865 for my son!

With last week's TRU sales, I grabbed 6865 and 6867 (not for my son)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-22-2012 at 08:06 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #104
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Now that I have an income again, I was looking forward to being able to complete my Kingdoms sets before pick-a-bricking to build some walls, a moat, etc.

I was disappointed to see the Lego website only has the Joust available for sale.

I currently have...

30062 which was a special for spending over X amount on the website. Just an archer with a target.

7950, 7949, 7188, 7187, 6918, 7948, 7947, 7946.

By my count, I'm missing two sets.

Medieval Market Village, The Joust, both of which are at Brickset.com. Phenomenal.

Have you seen that Lego Kingdoms is the chess set for this year: 853373?
LEGO® Kingdoms Chess Set* | LEGO Shop

28 minifigs for $50

SI

Old 07-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #105
Grover
Pro Starter

The Chess set is worth the price just for the king and queen for the 'black' side.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #106
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

WalMart has been clearing out a ton of Lego over the last week. Here's what I posted to another board talking about what I found:

They still had the following large sets on clearance for 30% off
*Helms Deep
*Quinjet Aerial Battle
*the big Star Wars Pod Racing one (7962)
*the rocket launchpad city one (3368)
*Black Pearl marked clearance but didn't see any in stock (what I really wanted)

A lot of Cars, smaller PotC, quite a few Star Wars, Alien Conquest at 30% off

But they seem to be arbitrary:
*Helms Deep clearanced but not Moria or any of the other LotR
*Loki's Cube Escape on clearance (out of stock) but not any of the others from that time like Captain America's cycle, the one with Wolverine, etc
*Some older stuff not on clearance (Atlantis, Series 1 Star Wars planets, Harry Potter, etc)
*No Friends or Dino on clearance but other stores have been reporting big sales on each of those

And, laughably, a bunch of copies of Star Wars Advent Calendar for 2011 at $30-something

I picked up the Log Cabin because I've been wanting that one for a while and at $21, hard to pass up

SI

Old 08-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #107
Grover
Pro Starter

Bought the log cabin last year. Great set.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #108
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bought the log cabin last year. Great set.

I love it- it's a nice building set and isn't licensed so it doesn't come at a premium. There seem to be a couple of other ones that are fun like the Hillside House, Seaside House, Apple Tree House, Beach House, and Lighthouse.

The modulars are neat but so darn expensive. These seem like simpler and larger modulars.

SI

Old 08-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #109
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Toys N Bricks | LEGO News Site | Sales, Deals, Reviews, MOCs, Blog, New Sets and More!

My Battle Pack thoughts (I posted to Toysnbricks, too) since I have them all and will get whatever the next set is they put out:

"The ones I care most about are the battle packs. The Endor one this year was great, the Mandalorians were excellent last year, etc- so it's not like they're going downhill. But I'm a bit disappointed in "Clone Troopers vs Droidekas".

I always get a little nervous when there are robots. Are we going to get 2 robots as subs for 2 minifigs? The 7 droid battle pack almost made it worth its while due to quantity but "Clone Troopers vs Droidekas"? Give me nameless faceless Jedi as a premium if you're going to stiff me with 2 robots. Battle packs are supposed to be army builders much moreso than playsets.

Also, we've already done Clone Troopers 4 times before. If you really want to bludgeon us with something, keep hitting with Stormtroopers so those prices can come down some more. Or maybe Rebel Pilots (the orange guys)- they had one in one set. It would be nice to have more. We've never seen an Imperial Officer set: not necessarily Tarkin or Veers or someone like that but some generic officers to man a generic Star Destroyer.

Why not try some other races? Ewoks? Wookies? Even Gungans?

For the robots thing mentioned above, the only exception to this I can think of is if there would be an Astromech one. There are quite a few in larger sets so there's not really a need but I'd be ok with a "Battle" Pack provided there were 6 not 4 (or maybe a couple of protocol droids for good measure). And I'm not sure what the playset would be.

And, finally, if we're talking Premium battle packs that we'll never see (because if you're going to do this, you make a whole set around it): Go for bounty hunter races or the Red Guard or The Modal Nodes."

SI

Old 09-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #110
Grover
Pro Starter

Haunted House* | LEGO Shop

This is seriously awesome.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #111
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I saw those monsters sets the other day and wished I was a kid.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #112
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's a really awesome modular.

BTW, if you're looking to score some glow in the dark ghosts on the cheap, Target is supposed to be carrying polybags of 30201 for $3.99. They're starting to show up according to stock listings online and reports on boards.

SI

Old 09-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #113
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's a really awesome modular.

BTW, if you're looking to score some glow in the dark ghosts on the cheap, Target is supposed to be carrying polybags of 30201 for $3.99. They're starting to show up according to stock listings online and reports on boards.

SI

Very nice.

Not gonna get into the monster sets.

Need to finish Kingdoms first.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #114
Grover
Pro Starter

Bought the Gandalf Arrives 9469 set today on a whim. I like it quite a bit. I could see myself mixing the LOTR sets with the Kingdom sets in one giant medieval amalgamation of Lego greatness.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #115
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I picked up 4 of the ghosts this past week at a local Target. They're in the seasonal section with the candy, typically on an endcap- not in toys. I put one together and I like the little clock that comes with it and the ghosts are top notch glow in the dark if you let them get some light for about an hour. They're $3.99 apiece which is a good deal when you consider the ghosts from about 10 years ago go for $10+ and the only set you can get the current ones in is the big ghost train set for $80, the (admittedly awesome) $180 modular-style Haunted House, or the $15 Halloween accessory set with 1 ghost, 1 witch, and 1 zombie.

SI

Old 09-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #116
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

In 7th grade my best friend and I covered his living room with a Lego Star-Trek universe (including a Lego Quark's Bar, Lego Enterprise, etc) and used to play with it everyday, having all the little Lego characters be different people on the show and with ongoing storylines and stuff.

Sadly I don't think that any pictures survive.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #117
Grover
Pro Starter

I love the modular sets. I have the Green Grocer... wish I could afford the rest.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #118
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I have 0 modular sets because they're just so darned expensive.

Also, the Lego kingdoms chess set is no longer available online. I was waiting for a chance to go to up to the Woodlands with my parents (for other stuff, but there's a Lego store there). However, I might have waited too long. That would be a big bummer

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-08-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #119
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have 0 modular sets because they're just so darned expensive.

Also, the Lego kingdoms chess set is no longer available online. I was waiting for a chance to go to up to the Woodlands with my parents (for other stuff, but there's a Lego store there). However, I might have waited too long. That would be a big bummer

SI

Dammit! I wanted it just to add the minifigs to my collection. I'd better get the Joust and Market Village quick.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #120
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dammit! I wanted it just to add the minifigs to my collection. I'd better get the Joust and Market Village quick.

Good news: the chess set was still available at my Lego store and they had about 5 copies there. I would recommend jumping on this one pretty quick if you haven't already. I put it together last night and it was excellent! The value is amazing: 28 figures for $50 and they're all quite detailed, even the pawns. I dare say this is the best army builder I've ever seen (or at least a tie for when I ran across Meijer clearing out series 5 for 75c each and I picked up like 30 figures)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-10-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #121
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Couple of thoughts:

1) Rumor that TRU will have their "annual" B2G1 free sale starting next week or the week after to clear out some space ahead of Christmas. We'll see if they have the usual restrictions that make this crappy along with the 5-10% markups we're used to from TRU.

2) Anyone bought any of the Star Wars planet sets? I'm on the fence: I like cheapy little sets like that where it seems like decent value for a few bricks and a minifig but these seem awfully high for the number of pieces (~70ish), 1 planet (neat!), and a meh figure (Lobot cool, Sebulba boring, all others generic). They've already made 6 and are looking to make 6 more next year. They look like good displays and are $7.69 each this week for series 1 at TRU.

SI

Old 09-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #122
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
1) Rumor that TRU will have their "annual" B2G1 free sale starting next week or the week after to clear out some space ahead of Christmas. We'll see if they have the usual restrictions that make this crappy along with the 5-10% markups we're used to from TRU.

A few weeks ago TRU had a "buy 1 get 1 40% off" on Skylanders sets. However, they were charging $25 for a set of 3 figures, so the second set cost $15, or $40 for two sets. With Target's regular price of $20 for a set of 3, the TRU promotion was the exact same price as Target's regular price. I loved that.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #123
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This week I saw 30% off of Star Wars sets.

Is the Jabba the Hutt set really $120 as I saw at Target (or Meijer, can't remember) last week? Yeesh.

I do like taking advantage of the B2G1 free sale for my daughter, even if it doesn't include SW and is a bit of a mark-up. Still a pretty good deal, I think, assuming you get stuff you want and aren't just buying because it's a sale. My daughter isn't as picky as you guys.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #124
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

How to build your own Lego Curiosity Rover. How to Build Your Own LEGO Mars Curiosity Rover | Mars Science Laboratory | Space.com

I downloaded the directions to PDF. I actually meant to buy pieces this past weekend but didn't get to it..maybe this upcoming weekend.../

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #125
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Target had the Black Pearl for $75 and I caved

Will be fun to build tomorrow

SI

Old 12-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #126
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

LEGO® CUUSOO Blog - The latest from the LEGO CUUSOO project team at the LEGO Group. We write about the latest happenings in the LEGO CUUSOO community, tips, and products.

CUUSOO approved a Back to the Future set for next year! I'm there.

I'm a little disappointed the Western Modular did not make it. I'm not a modulars guy as they are just too expensive but it was an amazing set. If it had been up for review last year, I bet it would have passed. However, I think it conflicted with the Lone Ranger set, which is a bummer. I wish they moved it to a different window like 2014 or 2015 rather than killing it off.

SI

Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #127
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Haven't bought any legos since I was probably 13 or 14 but I have some of my old castle sets displayed in my apartment and decided to get some new ones with some of the local post Christmas closeout sales.

Quinjet 6869 - $49 (Walmart)
Wolverine Chopper Showdown 6866 - $15 (Meijer)
Captain America's Avenging Cycle 6865 - $13

I'd love to buy the Death Star but $360 is so much money to spend on a super kick ass display item.

Last edited by Racer : 01-05-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #128
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Hit the Lego store today for my son's birthday. He picked out two Ninjago sets. Was hoping to grab the Space Shuttle Expedition/Adventure set that I saw there last year but I guess it is out of stock, or perhaps discontinued?
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #129
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Not sure how familiar you are with Lego pbot, but generally the way they do it is they have certain sets they release each year, and then the next year they release a whole new bunch of sets for each theme. The Lego store in particular will almost never have old sets (at least from what I have seen) but sometimes you can find them at toy stores, big box places like Walmart/Target, etc.

You can find a lot of the older sets on Amazon, or Ebay also - if you can find out the four digit set # it will make your search a lot easier - I go to www.brickset.com, it has all the numbers.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #130
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Thanks Peregrine. I the Lego website has it listed as sold out, but one of the brick sites linked in the thread showed it as discontinued last night so not sure if it'll come back in stock or not. It was on the Lego website until about a week or so before Christmas and I almost bought it.

Looks like I can purchase the set I'm after through the secondary market. The prices on Amazon/ebay are ridiculous, I found several on bricklink for a somewhat lower premium.

Since we bought enough Ninjago yesterday we got a free Legend of Chima small set - Ewars Acro Fighter. It is kind of cool. I like the animal minifigs.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #131
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

has anyone else run into this:

bought TMNT 79101 Shredder's Bike

1st thing was all the bags were opened but very few pieces fell out.

2nd thing was we are def missing at least 1 bag as there's no minifigs and only 124 pieces out of 198 we're supposed to have.

box was factory sealed.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #132
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

we figured out the box was tampered with (after checking the tape while on the phone with lego)

lego is sending us a brand new set and we are taking the box back to target
Old 01-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #133
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

so we take the tampered set back to Target, get a gift card which was fine so we can pick out a different set. we go for a bigger TMNT set and I figure we better check the tape on this one before buying it and SURE ENOUGH it was tampered with too.

I took the tampered set up to CS and alerted them then talked to the LP guy. We bought a different bigger set and opened it in front of them to make sure the bags were sealed which they were. They opened the other set I brought up that I thought was tampered with and sure enough the bags were opened and missing minifigs.

so in 3-8 business days we'll have all the turtle minifigs once we get our set from lego in the mail. moral = always check the boxes before leaving the store since next time lego and the retailer might not be awesome like they were this time.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #134
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wow, that's dirty. People love to steal from Target. We lost so many dvd/cd when i worked in the music department. The thieving pieces of shit realized that you can't just take the entire box out, but rather stealing the disc itself is the way to go. Almost makes you wonder why they even bother with the magnetic things/gates. Glad they were able to refund it for you, that would suck if you got stuck with it.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #135
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My daughter is really into the Legos for girls. We also got some monster hunter sets. I heard something about MegaBlox signing a deal with Barbie, that could be huge for growing a segment of the market normally ignored(girls).

As I was typing this, I typed legos girls set, and then was horrified by the idea of a Hannah/Adam lego minifig. Perhaps they'd make a Shoshanna Does Crack action set.

Last edited by stevew : 01-21-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:51 AM   #136
SackAttack
Head Coach

Bought 9492 (TIE Fighter) and 9493 (X-Wing) with some Christmas money last month. The X-Wing was missing two random bricks (bags had been sealed).

LEGO sent the replacements while I was in California, and I finished the build last night after getting home.

The X-Wing is kind of a pain in the ass to build, but looks awesome.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:49 AM   #137
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Chubby, the thieving you wrote about is one reason I try not to buy lego pieces (like individual minifigs) on Ebay - a lot of that stuff has been stolen.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #138
spleen1015
Coordinator

LEGO Ghostbusters Headquarters by Orion Pax | HiConsumption

This is awesome.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #139
spleen1015
Coordinator

More awesomeness.

1,200 Minifigure LEGO Office Wall by Acrylicize | HiConsumption
Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #140
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

My oldest son turned 4 on Valentine's Day and got a bunch of cool Ninjago sets that I got to help him build. I love this stuff, I hope he never gets tired of Lego.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #141
Easy Mac

My 3.5 year old daughter adores legos. She has all but 1 of the princess lego sets. She hasn't moved up to small legos yet, she just doesn't have the patience for it (neither do I). In the last month or so she's taken a huge step in being able to follow the directions and figuring out brick locations based on the overall picture.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #142
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Bought the Lego Death Star off amazon.com Signed up for the amazon.com credit card so I got it for $358 - $50 = $308. Wonder if "Wanna see my Lego Death Star" would be a good pickup line with girls. Based on my current building progression, I think it's going to take 24+ hours to build. The box is divided into four sub boxes. The bags in the first box have numbers are labeled with numbers so that is good.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #143
SackAttack
Head Coach

The Lego Death Star is on my bucket list.

I picked up a few general construction sets and an A-Wing Starfighter at Target the other day when they matched TRU's Buy 1, Get 1 50% off sale for me.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #144
Kodos
Resident Alien

Unfortunately, my son only really plays with the minifigures. No point in building them for him, he just destroys the ships within an hour.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #145
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Unfortunately, my son only really plays with the minifigures. No point in building them for him, he just destroys the ships within an hour.

same here but he still loves building them
Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #146
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbot View Post
Looks like I can purchase the set I'm after through the secondary market. The prices on Amazon/ebay are ridiculous, I found several on bricklink for a somewhat lower premium.

Found an allegedly "new" set on bricklink for just $25 more than it would've cost to purchase from Lego before it went out of stock. Payment sent, and have received shipping confirmation so I'll be curious to see what shows up on my doorstep in 4-10 days.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #147
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

So the space shuttle set (#10231) showed up this weekend, and does appear to be a brand new set. It's the most detailed set I've ever attempted and should be pretty cool when finished, my daughter and I are roughly 30% through it so far. Took us about 30 minutes to sort and segregate all the pieces by color when we first opened the box.

Of course on the back of one of the instruction books is a picture of #10210 (Imperial Pirate Ship). Oh, my!
Old 04-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #148
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So this little guy was announced today for $200:
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=10237-1

SI

Old 04-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #149
SackAttack
Head Coach

Want.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #150
SackAttack
Head Coach

Found the Shelob Attacks LOTR set on clearance for $10 at Target a week or two ago. Found Attack on Weathertop on clearance for $40 today. My addiction to little plastic bricks knows no bounds.