Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Wolverine Studios Presents.....Draft Day Sports: Pro Football

Oh noes! Another football text sim on the market.
Quote:
Announcing Draft Day Sports: Pro Football!
Wolverine Studios is proud to announce its newest addition to the Draft Day Sports line - Pro Football! We invite you to visit our website for more details on the game, to read our "Football Manifesto" and to discuss the new venture with our community. Gary Gorski, developer of Draft Day Sports: College Basketball, Draft Day Sports: Pro Basketball and Total Pro Golf 2 will serve as lead developer with Tim Plum taking on the role of Associate Developer for this exciting new title. No release date has been set for the game but it is in development so we invite you to take the opportunity to have your voice heard in our forums to let us know what you want to see in a football game from Wolverine Studios!

Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:15 AM   #2
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Wow! It'll be interesting to see how the draft turns out in this game. DDS: Pro basketball had a cool little draft that could be improved on for this title.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:18 AM   #3
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

This can only be a good thing!
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I must admit that I am highly interested to see which direction this game goes. It amazes me how many sports games Gary is able to release in short time.

What is going to make this cool is to see two football text sims battle it out since it is going to mostly likely produce some innovative features we may have not even considered before.

Good luck with this Gary and thanks for putting another pro football text sim out there.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Dang....I gotta say this is pretty exciting.

* 2D Display
* Play Editor (This scares me a little)
* In-game media presence

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 03-26-2008 at 01:24 AM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:00 AM   #6
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Wow.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:58 AM   #7
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

great news
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:55 AM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
Bee
Pro Starter

Excellent news. I hope it's a huge success and a great game.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:15 AM   #10
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Excellent news. I hope it's a huge success and a great game.

+1 - competition is good for the consumer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:47 AM   #11
Flasch186
Coordinator

bump to remember later so I can buy this in a heartbeat.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:17 AM   #12
Capital
High School Varsity

This is great news for the text sim market as I have bought quite a few of Gary's titles. But, in actuality, if Arlie is still in the game, that could be 3 text based pro football games in the market.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #13
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
bump to remember later so I can buy this in a heartbeat.

Most useless bump ever.

I'm pumped for this -- I was just thinking of getting DDS:CB, but this will be awesome, too.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I love this quote from the website "This is going to be the game that bridges the gap that Front Page Sports Football fans have been waiting almost a decade for."

Big quote. I hope Gary and company deliver on that type of hype.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary's Manifesto
This is going to be the game that bridges the gap that Front Page Sports Football fans have been waiting almost a decade for. It won't have a NFL license - but it will be fully customizable as all of our games are. It won't have flashy 3D graphics - but it will have the 2D display that our games do. Most of all, it will be fun. It's going to be a football simulation that produces accurate stats (that's Tim's specialty) and really sucks you in with a beautiful interface (from the extremely talented Paul Yuan) and gives you deep, interesting game play complete with player personalities, realistic financial models and most importantly the ability to sit down, not be overwhelmed and have fun - just like in the good old days.

How 'bout that. I really hope this game delivers, that's a lofty goal.

Last edited by QuikSand : 03-26-2008 at 08:37 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #16
Subby
lolzcat

GUYS A 2D REPLAY ENGINE WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO PROGRAM INTO A GAME!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I love this quote from the website "This is going to be the game that bridges the gap that Front Page Sports Football fans have been waiting almost a decade for."

I heart Gary.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #18
Subby
lolzcat

I guess I am kinda bummed because I thought the surprise announcement was going to be a new card game
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #19
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Certainly an interesting move to cite your competitor on the site. I suppose at some level, most of his customers are going to be FOF owners anyway, so he's likely not pointing out anything that his customers don't already know about.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #20
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Most useless bump ever.

I'm pumped for this -- I was just thinking of getting DDS:CB, but this will be awesome, too.

It puts the notation on the far right of my skin so I can sift through the garbage threads that are mock threads, drafts, IWS, console numbers, mmorpg and other garbage and only see what I've posted in. jerk.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 03-26-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #21
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Certainly an interesting move to cite your competitor on the site. I suppose at some level, most of his customers are going to be FOF owners anyway, so he's likely not pointing out anything that his customers don't already know about.

He's citing the old Front Page Sports Football game, not FOF. If he pulls this off, it will be HUGE for a text sim.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:59 AM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
He's citing the old Front Page Sports Football game, not FOF. If he pulls this off, it will be HUGE for a text sim.

AHHHHHH, thanks. That's what I get for reading too fast. That would DEFINITELY be something to shoot for. I sunk a lot of time into that series.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 AM   #23
Anthony
Banned

two words.

hu-uuuge
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #24
Anthony
Banned

how far away is the game from being released? i ask because i'm curious as to how this hype may "harm" or be detrimental to the game, as one theory states.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #25
Subby
lolzcat

Hey as long as Tim Plum sticks to numbers and isn't allowed to interact with human customers, this could be super-promising!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #26
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Dang....I gotta say this is pretty exciting.

* 2D Display
* Play Editor (This scares me a little)
* In-game media presence

OH WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF

If this actually happens I will buy the game no matter what just to support the effort. Even if it sucks, guys, let's encourage this so that it can be improved (at least if this thrills you anywhere near as much as it does me).

Also COLLEGE GAME RIGHT NOW PLZ OMG
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #27
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This is going to be the game that bridges the gap that Front Page Sports Football fans have been waiting almost a decade for. It won't have a NFL license - but it will be fully customizable

But wait, doesn't Maximum Football already have this niche taken care of?

Quote:
It's going to be a football simulation that produces accurate stats

Oh, nevermind. Carry on.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #28
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
how far away is the game from being released? i ask because i'm curious as to how this hype may "harm" or be detrimental to the game, as one theory states.

Gary has relatively short development cycles and I'm sure he's already been working on this one for a few months. So I'd guess sooner rather than later if I was a betting man. Wouldn't shock me if this was ready by August in time for the upcoming season.

Here's his quote from an interview earlier this month at Gameshark........

Quote:
"Totally new games take anywhere from six to twelve months (to develop) depending on the scope of the game."

http://www.gameshark.com/features/45...ne-Studios.htm
Old 03-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #29
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
If this actually happens I will buy the game no matter what just to support the effort. Even if it sucks, guys, let's encourage this so that it can be improved (at least if this thrills you anywhere near as much as it does me).
so how many copies of maximum football did you buy
Old 03-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #30
Anthony
Banned

cool. i can wait, just interested in seeing how announcing a potentially huge game early will affect perception, you know, to put one man's theory to the test.

but in any case its good to have another game on the market and wish the best for both Gary and Jim. i'm a loyal Solecismic customer but i'm also selfish and want it all.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #31
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

cool. based on Gary's past games I'll definately be taking a look at this one. TBH I haven't purchased either DDS:CB or DDS:PB yet, but that's mainly due to cash-flow issues rather than game-reasons. There's definately room for multiple pro-football games, and I'm especially excited to see what Gary can bring to the table as far as media-interaction and snazzing up the draft.

Thinking down the road - it might be cool to see a partnership of sorts...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #32
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

ok well now that we've got your attention....

Like the manifesto says - when FBPro 99 got recalled it was like a punch in the gut to me - I waited day in and day out, I called every game store near my apartment in Ann Arbor every day to see if somehow one of them got copies early. I got it as soon as I could get my hands on it and the fallout from it was just devastating. I loved everything about that series and I had a blast running my league and it still runs today under the care of someone else. I miss that game - I miss that experience. That's what Tim and myself are looking to bring back to the market. I still play in the league - my football game of choice is FPS 98 right now but its a decade old now. I want something new so we're going to create it. Of course the game is going to be different - it wont have the 3D graphics but in a nod to XOR Challenge we'll have the 2D display like my basketball games have. It's not so much about recreating what Sierra did but building where I felt the series should have/could have gone in the simulation aspect of it. It's about tying in the things I've started to do in my recent games like the player personalities and the media stuff with just the simplicity of a great football game.

At the end of the day - I'm a FPS guy. That's not a knock on Jim, Arlie, David Winters...that's just my taste. So we're out to create a great football game - obviously one that we're setting high expectations for but the thing is Tim and myself are making this game because we want this football game. Yes I want the title to be successful and help further the growth of Wolverine Studios - no doubt about that - but in the end, Tim and myself just want a new, different kind of football sim and we're not going to call it a day on it until we get there.

I'm happy that some people here are excited for it - we'll do our very best to deliver another great football game to you and I'll be happy to have any discussions with you on this forum or ours about the game.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #33
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I'm especially excited to see what Gary can bring to the table as far as media-interaction and snazzing up the draft.

Well if you want an idea download the DDS:PB demo. It starts you off right at the draft so for football imagine that plus more stuff and there you go
Old 03-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #34
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:

No official time frame yet - I don't even want to throw out a general one at this point. I've been spending some time updating the college game and also learning the newest version of VB. Now that I've got a good grasp on that I've started coding the game. We (Tim and myself) have spent part of the last two years developing the game "on paper" so its a matter of putting it into code (or modifying code from my other games). The announcement today was really just to let you know this is what we're working on and to invite everyone to come give us some ideas for what they think is missing out there right now. Like I said, I want to build the game around the community so as always, I'm very open to hearing what people would like to see in the game. Personally I prefer to announce what we're working on because I like to geed community feedback/ideas when we can actually do something about them in the design and I always liked to find out about a game that was coming out in the future and part of the fun as the gamer/customer was the anticipation for it.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #35
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Well if you want an idea download the DDS:PB demo. It starts you off right at the draft so for football imagine that plus more stuff and there you go

played that demo to death. wanted to buy that or DDS:CB, but i'm in a bit of a "don't spend a penny extra" mode right now in life. felt guilty even buying the new Counting Crows CD yesterday for $15
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #36
Flasch186
Coordinator

you should.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #37
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
It puts the notation on the far right of my skin so I can sift through the garbage threads that are mock threads, drafts, IWS, console numbers, mmorpg and other garbage and only see what I've posted in. jerk.

I figured that's what you meant. The Draft Day Sports: Pro Football in the title isn't enough to get your attention?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #38
Anthony
Banned

one thing i like about CM (and i don't really play that game that much these days) is when your team scored a goal the text would blink in big bold letters. perhaps you could implement something similar rather than just:

Eagles 24 yard line, 3rd and 2: QB Manning throws a 3 yard pass to WR Burress.
That was good for a 1st down
Eagles 21 yard line, 1st and 10: QB Manning throws a long pass to TE Shockey.
Touchdown.

that's so anti-climatic. give me some blinking lights and stuff. i like that about the play by play in CM.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #39
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
so how many copies of maximum football did you buy

Zero. I didn't mean that level of sucks.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #40
Passacaglia
Coordinator

The Play Editor excites me. I'd much rather have a play with the QB reading options between long, short, and medium passes, than a play with a pass that's already determined to be long, short, or medium before the ball is snapped.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #41
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
This is great news for the text sim market as I have bought quite a few of Gary's titles. But, in actuality, if Arlie is still in the game, that could be 3 text based pro football games in the market.

Four if VPI gets his game out too...
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #42
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Like I said, I want to build the game around the community so as always, I'm very open to hearing what people would like to see in the game. Personally I prefer to announce what we're working on because I like to geed community feedback/ideas when we can actually do something about them in the design.

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=64440

Quote:
Well, along with many of you, I am still intrigued by the long-term struggle to find a set of "house rules" by which to play solo FOF and maintain a long term career that is:

challenging - I want to face true adversity and difficult decisions
interesting - I want to avoid complete tedium, and enjoy playing
rewarding - I want to feel like my decisions matter to the team's success

Quik's idea about action points in that thread is interesting. But I think that the more general concerns outlined in the three grail-points listed herein are more important.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #43
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I figured that's what you meant. The Draft Day Sports: Pro Football in the title isn't enough to get your attention?

not when it's 3 months from now ALTHOUGH I have to assume there will be a new thread at that time so you're probably right in that this particular thread will be worthless at that time. How do I remove the check

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 03-26-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #44
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
one thing i like about CM (and i don't really play that game that much these days) is when your team scored a goal the text would blink in big bold letters. perhaps you could implement something similar rather than just:

Eagles 24 yard line, 3rd and 2: QB Manning throws a 3 yard pass to WR Burress.
That was good for a 1st down
Eagles 21 yard line, 1st and 10: QB Manning throws a long pass to TE Shockey.
Touchdown.

that's so anti-climatic. give me some blinking lights and stuff. i like that about the play by play in CM.

I forget which version I tried, but when someone scored, the little circles looked like they would run and celebrate. That was funny.

I'll be paying attention to this game as well.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #45
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I forget which version I tried, but when someone scored, the little circles looked like they would run and celebrate. That was funny.

I'll be paying attention to this game as well.

HAHAHA, totally, i had the same version. tiny celebrating dots are awesome.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #46
dbd1963
High School JV

Will buy it the first day it's out.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #47
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

As always, here's hoping this is the Holy Grail.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #48
Kodos
Resident Alien

Looks like there will be plenty of competition this fall. Good for us!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #49
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Looks like there will be plenty of competition this fall. Good for us!

How many football text sims are coming out this fall? Right now I am guessing 1-2 at most.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #50
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Let us beta test.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote