Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
TroyF
Coordinator

Saying good bye

I love pet ownership all the way until the final few days. My chocolate lab Joey woke up Saturday and couldn't pick himself up. We took him to the vet on Sunday and the vet said it was 50/50 that the drugs could do the trick. He gave us a steroid to be used twice a day for three days and if we didn't see any improvement, we'd have to put him down next Sunday.

Well, this morning, he seems to be worse. He can barely move his front legs now. We'll give the drugs another day or two, but it looks like the inevitable will happen. It's just so damned amazing how attached you get to these guys. (unless you are Michael Vick)

When it came to human food, Joey only had one weakness, Papa John's Garlic sauce. You could put a double cheeseburger in front of him, go to the bathroom and come back and see him simply salivating over the burger, but not touching it. The Garlic sauce? It'd be gone with the pizza untouched.

So to say good bye, I'll be ordering some Papa Johns tonight (I'm not a huge fan of their pizza, but this one's for Joey) with a few things of extra garlic sauce. That's the way I will say good bye. He'll get a few garlic sauce containers, a big hug, and I'll say good bye to an old friend.

TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
molson
General Manager

He appreciates your friendship just as much as you've appreciated his. Lucky dog.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
samifan24
Pro Starter

That poor guy. Give him lots of garlic sauce and hugs tonight.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Very touching.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Give him a hug for me, Troy.

How long have you had him?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Great send off, Troy.

Hang in there.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Give him a hug for me, Troy.

How long have you had him?

Since he was a puppy. Over 12 years.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Sorry to hear that Troy - that's a very nice thought to get him the sauce
Old 10-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I love pet ownership all the way until the final few days. My chocolate lab Joey woke up Saturday and couldn't pick himself up. We took him to the vet on Sunday and the vet said it was 50/50 that the drugs could do the trick. He gave us a steroid to be used twice a day for three days and if we didn't see any improvement, we'd have to put him down next Sunday.

Well, this morning, he seems to be worse. He can barely move his front legs now. We'll give the drugs another day or two, but it looks like the inevitable will happen. It's just so damned amazing how attached you get to these guys. (unless you are Michael Vick)

When it came to human food, Joey only had one weakness, Papa John's Garlic sauce. You could put a double cheeseburger in front of him, go to the bathroom and come back and see him simply salivating over the burger, but not touching it. The Garlic sauce? It'd be gone with the pizza untouched.

So to say good bye, I'll be ordering some Papa Johns tonight (I'm not a huge fan of their pizza, but this one's for Joey) with a few things of extra garlic sauce. That's the way I will say good bye. He'll get a few garlic sauce containers, a big hug, and I'll say good bye to an old friend.

Allow me to interject with a pet story that is related.

I now have 3 Miniature Pinschers, but I started with one - Pharaoh.

He has always been somewhat a fan of people food (even though he gets it VERY rarely), but his big weakness is pizza.

So when he was about 2 (he's 9 now), my wife was studying abroad in Australia, and I had a bunch of buddies over to play video games.

So, we ordered Papa John's and then went into the living room to have at it with the video games.

I hear a rustle in the dining room. I go in and look.

Pharaoh managed to get on his hind legs, grab the edge of the pizza box, and pull.

He was busy licking all over himself because, you guessed it, the garlic sauce landed square on his head. He had garlic sauce all OVER the place.

Anyway - your story reminded me of that.

Sorry to hear about Joey .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Touching story
Old 10-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thoughts & prayers, as well as my sincere sympathy & condolences, I know how brutal this kind of thing can be.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
Butter
Coordinator

Sorry to hear about your situation. Losing a beloved pet is always hard.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #13
spleen1015
Coordinator

Sorry, dude.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sorry to hear, it's always really hard to say goodbye.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Sorry about Joey, Troy. Treasure your last days with him.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #16
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Allow me to interject with a pet story that is related.

I now have 3 Miniature Pinschers, but I started with one - Pharaoh.

He has always been somewhat a fan of people food (even though he gets it VERY rarely), but his big weakness is pizza.

So when he was about 2 (he's 9 now), my wife was studying abroad in Australia, and I had a bunch of buddies over to play video games.

So, we ordered Papa John's and then went into the living room to have at it with the video games.

I hear a rustle in the dining room. I go in and look.

Pharaoh managed to get on his hind legs, grab the edge of the pizza box, and pull.

He was busy licking all over himself because, you guessed it, the garlic sauce landed square on his head. He had garlic sauce all OVER the place.

Anyway - your story reminded me of that.

Sorry to hear about Joey .

That's a great story. My wife and I have a min pin (who loves my wife and tolerates me) and an Italian Greyhound at our condo.

Joey lived with me in Oklahoma. When I moved back to Colorado, he lived with my dad. (I have always been within 5 minutes away, and see him at least 4 or 5 times a week)

Probably my funniest memory of Joey was coming home one time in Oklahoma and finding the trash strung all over the kitchen. Joey was in the center of this pile of mess and runs to the door with his tail between his legs. I look at what he was chewing on. . . and it was a single thing of the garlic sauce. There was a quarter of a deli sandwich right next to the garlic sauce, untouched.

I laughed so hard I couldn't even scold him. He wanted that damned garlic sauce and he got it.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #17
markprior22
High School Varsity

Sorry to hear that...dogs are great friends
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #18
SegRat
High School Varsity

Man, so sorry for you. All my emotions for my dog just came running back through me.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
DanGarion
Coordinator

++-31313131313131313111111111111111111111111111132321-9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+9+

That was from my cat Milo.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #20
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Very tough Troy.. sad news, but it sounds like he's lived a great life with a great owner. Garlic sauce until he says stop!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #21
Cuckoo
College Starter

So sorry to hear, Troy.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #22
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Sorry Troy. The garlic sauce is definitely a great idea though.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #23
Kodos
Resident Alien

Touching and sad story. He's been a lucky dog to have such a loving owner.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #24
Subby
lolzcat

Extremely touching. I have a chocolate lab named Lola and this reminds me to not get upset with her about the meaningless stuff.

Thanks and hang in there.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #25
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

So sorry to hear this. I have 2 1\2 year old chocolate lab and yes they truly become a part of your life. We try to make a good life for our dog but IMHO she gives us so much more than we give her.

My fingers are crossed that the "full 3 day treatment" could still end up making her well. If not, you will know you did what you could and, you gave each other many good times.

My thoughts are with you and Joey.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #26
Swaggs
Coordinator

I wished dogs lived much, much longer.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #27
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Sorry Troy. My condolences.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #28
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Our thoughts are with you. Our first Cardigan Corgi had a similar issue, only when he was about five years old. We went the steroid route, and had some small success, but then were faced with essentially putting him down, back surgery, or trying to keep him going with a paralyzed back end. We ended up plunking down $3k for back surgery. He just turned 13, and has some balance and rear end weakness and loss of sensation. That surgery gave him a new lease on life, and has allowed us to enjoy his loving presence in our home all these years since.

Given Joey's age, surgery doesn't seem an option. He knows you love him, just let him go with dignity and respect. We're thinking of you.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #29
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I wished dogs lived much, much longer.

+1.........my golden, Cooter is now 10 years old. I dread the day this happens, and I know it will. Glad Joey gets to go out with some of his favorite.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #30
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - this is a good idea...the whole last meal thing.

I'll have to remember that in a couple years when my parent's lil pup really gets up there...
Old 10-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #31
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I agree. The last meal idea is great.

It really is amazing how attached you can get to them. I went to Chicago this past weekend. My wife went as well, but she left Thursday and I left Friday. We ended up having to board our dog on Thursday, because I couldn't get back from work earlier enough to get him, through Monday, we didn't get back until late Sunday night.

Spending Thursday and Sunday night in our house without the dog around was so odd and unsettling to me, that I woke up at 6:30 this morning, drove to his daycare/boarding place, picked him up when they opened at 7 am and drove him back home so I could spend an hour or so in the morning with him. Well worth it, considering, after I took him for his morning walk, I spent the rest of morning drinking coffee on the couch with my dog curled up next to me, his head on my lap. Didn't make into work until almost 10:00 am.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #32
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Soon as I know I'm financially stable I think I'll get a lil guy in my apartment.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #33
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Sorry for your soon to be loss man. "Pets" truly are members of the family, and their loss is felt just as hard as if you lost a person close to you. My kitty is seven, and if something happened to him now, I'd lose it. I can't imagine what's going to happen when that inevitable day does come....

sigh
Old 10-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #34
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Make a video of him lapping up the sauce. Call it "Something for Joey" (without John Cappalletti). You'll have a reminder of just what a great friend he's been.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #35
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
Make a video of him lapping up the sauce. Call it "Something for Joey" (without John Cappalletti). You'll have a reminder of just what a great friend he's been.

Great idea. Man, with video cameras on cellphones these days, this kind of stuff is so damn easy.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #36
TroyF
Coordinator

I just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts and well wishes. It's what separates this board from any other I've ever been on.

Joey did not improve on the steroids at all. He even got worse, losing the ability to even sit up with his front legs.

Tonight we called the vet, gave him his five containers of garlic sauce (which he simply devoured. He actually tried to chew on each container when he was done licking it up.)

We then loaded him up and put him to rest. When he went to the vets, he actually seemed at peace. I gave him his (and my) hug and it was over.

Thanks again for all of the thoughts.

RIP old pal.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #37
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'm sorry to hear, Troy.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #38
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Awww.

Was happy when I didn't see this thread bumped for a couple days, and just got tears in my eyes when I saw you bumped it Troy.

My condolences.

Sounds like you sent him off to a better place in the best way possible though, and I'm sure he appreciated it.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #39
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My condolences, Troy.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #40
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sorry for your loss
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{bows head in silence & sadness}

Very sorry Troy.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #42
path12
Coordinator

You did him well. My condolences.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #43
Bad-example
College Starter

Damn. Sorry for your loss.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #44
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Sorry for your loss.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #45
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Man, that's sad. Sorry to see this, Troy. Know that Joey had a wonderful life, and your love for each other was the entire reason for it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #46
BYU 14
Coordinator

Very sorry to hear Troy. You gave him a great live and he obviously gave just as much joy back to you.

Reading all this has me in tears and I can't imagine what you are going through. Condolences and prayers......RIP Joey.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #47
Castlerock
High School Varsity

So sorry. Last September, we lost Tomo but we had one final night to say goodbye. She went crazy for popcorn so she got all she wanted that night. Sadly, it was not very much. We slept on the floor next to her. Very glad we had the chance to say goodbye no mater how hard it was.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #48
Castlerock
High School Varsity

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this, the last battle, can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end

And hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree,
It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you,
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close,we two, these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Author Unknown
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #49
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sorry Troy, at least you got to be there with him until the end. I remember going through it with Bernie in April and is was one of the worst days of my life. It still hurts sometimes but I know it was the right thing for him. The worst thing I could have done was drag it on for my own selfishness.

And I love the part about the garlic sauce, at the end Bernie was to sick to eat his favorite people food, pizza crusts, the only people food we ever gave him. It broke my heart when he wouldn't even pick up his head to sniff them. Godspeed to Joey, him and Bernie are in heaven somewhere, ordering Papa Johns and eating to their hearts content.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #50
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Sorry Troy, at least you got to be there with him until the end. I remember going through it with Bernie in April and is was one of the worst days of my life. It still hurts sometimes but I know it was the right thing for him. The worst thing I could have done was drag it on for my own selfishness.

And I love the part about the garlic sauce, at the end Bernie was to sick to eat his favorite people food, pizza crusts, the only people food we ever gave him. It broke my heart when he wouldn't even pick up his head to sniff them. Godspeed to Joey, him and Bernie are in heaven somewhere, ordering Papa Johns and eating to their hearts content.

And sharing!!! Crusts for Bernie and garlic sauce for Joey!!