Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #51
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I feel bad for my copies of Madden and NCAA.. this game is going to be a classic.. and get most of my free playing time.

Even on pro default the game has grown leaps and bounds imho.. I loved 2k's board play, but EA nailed it and it flows so nicely. Game is definitely "organic" and the atmosphere is really intense. Camera seems a bit closer to the ice and I love that.

Goalies have a bunch of new animations and I actually like the fighting.

This game can't come soon enough!!!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-20-2009 at 10:05 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #52
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The Detroit crowd waving their towels.. great stuff!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #53
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

OK, I think I've finally met my match with the NHL series, as I went with Superstar/Hardcore in the demo, and I finally felt a real challenge, even while my CPU teammates were playing better than they ever have in this series.

The best part of the game is the PUCK. I know that sounds funny, but it is the most realistic it has ever been. When players block the puck, it doesn't automatically go to the same places like it did last year. It deflects anywhere, sometimes closer to the goal, sometimes in the corner, sometimes out of the zone.

As the Pens, I learned that its not worth it to pressure Lidstrom and Rafalski with the puck, but when Lilja has the puck, you notice a BIG difference. Lilja is slower and struggles handling the puck. One time, I pressed him in their own zone, so he tried to turn away and he lost the puck into the corner. I pinned him against the boards and a teammate picked up the puck and we had a good scoring chance. Something that's very realistic, but I've never seen in a hockey game before.

Another first was when I was Detroit and Matt Cooke ended up with a breakaway, and I got called for a penalty, so a penalty shot for Cooke, who's not the most skilled player. He goes in for the penalty shot, makes a deke, then just COMPLETELY loses the puck in the corner w/o taking a shot! With these unskilled players, you really do need to keep it simple, stupid.

My struggle is with the passing, especially back to the point. I either pass it right to the middle and the other team gets it, or I pass it out of the zone. Also passing through center ice is quite difficult as well, but I think that's just VERY realistic, even though the CPU does a much better job of it (hopefully that's something a slider can fix).

Overall, it is difficult to learn and get used to, but I already like it better than 09. I've never been happier to have such a sloppy (realistic) game of hockey.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #54
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm with you Turner.. the puck physics are perfect.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #55
samifan24
Pro Starter

PS3 demo comes out Thursday for those that were wondering.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:39 AM   #56
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Question from a hockey newb. I've always thought a good defense philosophy was to prevent a clear shot at the net (ie - standing between the puck and the goalie at a reasonable distance) but I've let up a couple goals using this philosophy because I've blocked the goalies vision. Is my philosophy flawed or are these just a consequence?

I've never got a good grasp on hockey strategy, probably since I've only ever play via video games.

Last edited by Balldog : 08-28-2009 at 05:40 AM.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:21 AM   #57
Icy
Pro Starter

Good strategy but in NHL09 or 10, you need to hit the block button to lay down and either stop it or at least to not screen your goalie. If you just stand there in front of your goalie, you will screen him.

Usually you better position yourself in front of the goalie but at the side, letting him to see what is going on while you cover more the sides of the net and hitting any forward that tries to get in there to screen the goalie or to score from a deflection or rebound.

Last edited by Icy : 08-28-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #58
samifan24
Pro Starter

I thought the NHL 10 demo was due out on the PSN yesterday. What happened?
Old 08-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #59
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I thought the NHL 10 demo was due out on the PSN yesterday. What happened?

I believe the new PSN weekly update is late this week. It appears they haven't updated the store yet.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #60
Icy
Pro Starter

It is in the Euro store since yesterday, you can create an account and download it easily.

I loved nhl09, but nhl10 is almost perfect. It's slower & more dirty board gameplay make it way more NHL realistic, no more easy tape to tape passes, no more dangling all the opposite team, no more arcade hits, etc. you need to work hard for the puck, be physical and play good position.

Last edited by Icy : 08-28-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #61
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I can't wait for this game to come out!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #62
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I can't wait for this game to come out!

Me either!
Old 08-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #63
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Played the demo a lot tonight, I'm hooked! I think Madden is going to get shelved come September 15.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #64
RainMaker
General Manager

Played the demo a few times today and wow. This game is really amazing. I'm not a huge hockey fan but this is a game I don't think I can pass up. EA really knows how to build a game when they are pushed.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #65
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Anyone know of any good strategy websites? And a good website for a season preview? I haven't ever played hockey, I can't skate So I'm not certain of all the strategies that can be utilized. And I haven't paid much attention to the NHL for about 10 years so I've lost touch with who is who.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #66
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Heading out to Gamestop to pick up my copy...
Old 09-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #67
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Heading out to Gamestop to pick up my copy...

I should have mine already but it was stopped in the customs and won't have it until tomorrow :/

Old 09-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #68
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I intend to buy the game tonight. I'm most excited about the "hardcore" mode and the improved board play. The only disappointing impression I've read is that it's still a pain in the ass to import music into the game because it is a slllloooooowww process. If that's the worst thing about the game, though, I'll definitely enjoy it!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #69
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I intend to buy the game tonight. I'm most excited about the "hardcore" mode and the improved board play. The only disappointing impression I've read is that it's still a pain in the ass to import music into the game because it is a slllloooooowww process. If that's the worst thing about the game, though, I'll definitely enjoy it!

Pumpy, in the mean time, to tide you over, I will put all the songs on this website here onto a CD and you can listen to them while you play:

Detroit Radio Flashbacks: Sports

"We Built This City On Red Wing Goals" is as good as it sounds.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #70
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Pumpy, in the mean time, to tide you over, I will put all the songs on this website here onto a CD and you can listen to them while you play:

Detroit Radio Flashbacks: Sports

"We Built This City On Red Wing Goals" is as good as it sounds.
How about I just light myself on fire right now?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #71
heybrad
Norm!!!

I'll be picking this up on my way home from work tonight.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #72
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Hey Brad!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #73
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wow.. only one game, but I am STOKED! I saw so many new things in just one game.

Board play flows so well, the whole game just feels like a hockey game throughout. New goalie animations look great, player AI is superb and makes great decisions. Getting rebound goals are a thing of beauty.

So far everything is great...

Be sure to download the roster update and new tuner version 1.1.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #74
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
I'll be picking this up on my way home from work tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Hey Brad!

I think after a while, this would be enough to make me switch to a new username.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #75
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think after a while, this would be enough to make me switch to a new username.

hey kodos
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #76
DeToxRox
Head Coach

This game is simply amazing. I am loving the online play. So far it's very smooth. The game itself just plays very well. It feels like real hockey.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #77
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

OS review was mostly positive but it mentioned that the CPU opponents play much smarter than the AI of teammates. Also, it said that the CPU passes too often and too accurate even with slider adjustments. Howewver, the reviewer said this was pre tuning release. Anyone else seeing this?

As an aside, the tuning that doesn't require microsodt approval sounds brilliant. I hope this concept spreads to other games.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #78
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
OS review was mostly positive but it mentioned that the CPU opponents play much smarter than the AI of teammates. Also, it said that the CPU passes too often and too accurate even with slider adjustments. Howewver, the reviewer said this was pre tuning release. Anyone else seeing this?

Did they mention whether that was in hardcore mode or not?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #79
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

As an aside, the tuning that doesn't require microsodt approval sounds brilliant. I hope this concept spreads to other games.

I would disagree, my CPU teammates seem to always be where I want them to be.

I think the CPU sets up for better shots, which is why I'm seeing realistic shot totals so far - FINALLY!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #80
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

All I care about: Are they still callimg Matt Stajan "Stay-an"?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #81
Travis
Pro Rookie

Sorry guys, game is broken.

Went to pick this up at lunch and Futureshop had the game on display. Picked up the controller to play and about 6 minutes in was able to score with Horcoff on a one timer.

I'll let that sink in for a second.

No, not a, stop the pass, look at the net, look back down, shovel it towards the net in a hope the goalie still hasn't gotten there yet manner, nor was this the 3rd or 4th one timer set up to him at the same spot on the ice in one shift where he'd finally get the timing down. It was a true one timer and he even went top shelf with it.

I had high hopes, but with unrealistic play like this my dream of a true to life hockey game goes on hold for another year.

Last edited by Travis : 09-15-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #82
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Did they mention whether that was in hardcore mode or not?

I think this was in reference to Be a Pro mode.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #83
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post

Went to pick this up at lunch and Futureshop had the game on display. Picked up the controller to play and about 6 minutes in was able to score with Horcoff on a one timer.

No, not a, stop the pass, look at the net, look back down, shovel it towards the net in a hope the goalie still hasn't gotten there yet manner, nor was this the 3rd or 4th one timer set up to him at the same spot on the ice in one shift where he'd finally get the timing down. It was a true one timer and he even went top shelf with it.

I had high hopes, but with unrealistic play like this my dream of a true to life hockey game goes on hold for another year.

But did you have 3 goalies dressed?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #84
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Played my first game as Columbus vs. Nashville. I won 2-1, with 29 shots for me and 23 against. I was 2/7 for PP and NSH was 1/8. Fantastic game, Chimera scored on a 5-3 PP on a garbage goal (Rebound came right to him and he scored 5-hole on Rinne).

BTW, this was on SuperStar and Current game style (edited Hardcore)

Here's what I edited and some thoughts about each:

Tuner Set: Latest - Didn't play w/ the original set, but gameplay was great with the latest set

Game Length: 12 minutes - Feels like a pretty good length, at least in terms of stats and such. Gonna keep this.

Game Speed: 1
Player Accel: 2 HUM/2 CPU
- Seemed to be a good speed, faster players (Chimera) were noticeably fast

Attribute Effects: Maxed - Definitely a great slider to have this year, felt like the best players were the best, and the 4th liners had little skill. Belak was in for the Preds and couldn't make a pass to save his life. Dump and chase is the way to go with those guys, as in real life.

Fatigue Effect: 6 HUM/6 CPU
Fatigue Recovery: 1 HUM/ 1 CPU
Injury Occurrence: 6 (max) HUM/ 6 CPU

I think the fatigue effect was a little much, so I'm going with 5/5 for my next set of games. I also didn't analyze the ice time, but I'll check that next game and see if ice time matches real life. Another thing is that fatigue definitely affects play, as guys who got stuck on the ice for a while had trouble making passes.

Another awesome moment: Tyutin hurt his wrist from an attempted stick lift by Hornqvist. On top of that, Hornqvist got a game misconduct for it! As long as this doesn't happen every game and for every injury, I'm happy to see this in.

Puck Control: 0/0
Stick Lift Effect: 5/5
Poke Check Effect: 5/5

- Seems excessive, but the top guys still keep the puck most of the time and it is easy to get the puck from the lower end guys. This makes the game sloppier with the unskilled players, but skill still prevails with the better players.

CPU Difficulty: 3
CPU Faceoff Difficulty: 4
CPU and CPU Teammate Penalties: 6

- Good game from a middling team. I'm turning down penalties from 6 to 5 for both settings, as there are too many scrum penalties. I'm hoping to still see about 5 or 6 PP's each game.

Manual Passing: On
Pass Speed (and Saucer): 4
Pass Accuracy: 1 HUM/0 CPU
Pass Interceptions: 6/6

- Accuracy is tough to gauge, and I think it will depend on how well you do with the manual passing. I had it at 1 for me, but I'm going up to 3, as I missed too many passes in my own zone, killing any offense. 0 is good for CPU, as they still complete plenty of their passes, but longer passes aren't as accurate, something that is very realistic. Also, fatigue effects accuracy as well.

Shot (Wrist and Slap) Accuracy: 1/1
Shot (Wrist and Slap) Power: 1/1
One-Timer Accuracy: 1/1

- Power is a little too low, as there were too many weak shots, so I'm upping to 3/3 for both wrist and slapshots. Accuracy was fine for now, but I might go up to 2/2 for that.

I don't remember any one timers for me, as it is too hard to pass into the slot with the manual passing.

Hitting Difficulty: 5
Aggression: 5/5
Hitting Power: 2/2

- This is crazy to say, but there were not enough hits that knocked players off of the puck, even with the stronger players. So I'm upping the hitting power to 3/3.

Goalie: Default Hardcore, except Cover Puck: 6

- Goalies played really well, Mason made a couple of fantastic saves to keep it 2-1 for me.

Overall, I think this game, while not perfect, is much more realistic than any game I played of 09.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #85
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

It took me a long time to get this post.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #86
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
But did you have 3 goalies dressed?

Nah, they already seem to have MacT out from behind the bench so I think this glitch has been taken care of.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #87
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm holding off on this one until I read impressions here. I read too many reviews that said this is just NHL 09 with board play and stupid first person fighting. I have the demo and it feels a lot like NHL 09. Sometimes I feel like the game is sucking me into the board play simply because I'm near the boards before the puck gets there. NHL 09 is a fun game but I want a better, improved game rather than the same game with a couple of new features (it seems).
Old 09-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #88
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Picked this up after work, went to sleep, and now am ready to play! Can't wait.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #89
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Oh yea, quick question...

I need a team. I don't follow hockey at all, so I don't have a team that I root for that would make sense to play as.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I like good goalies and strong defenses.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #90
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post

I need a team. I don't follow hockey at all, so I don't have a team that I root for that would make sense to play as.

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #91
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Seems like Edmonton and Calgary have both decided that you only need 1-2 skill forwards if you have 4 top earning D and a solid goalie.

Do you prefer mobile/offensive type D, big hitters or a balanced group?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #92
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

Use the Kings. Great young D, good young goalie, and a nice set of forwards.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #93
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Use the Kings. Great young D, good young goalie, and a nice set of forwards.

Stop teasing him.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #94
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

How about a good team to rebuild? Are the Coyotes still a mess?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #95
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Seems like Edmonton and Calgary have both decided that you only need 1-2 skill forwards if you have 4 top earning D and a solid goalie.

Do you prefer mobile/offensive type D, big hitters or a balanced group?

Mobile/Offensive, I think.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #96
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Yes. As are the Islanders.

I think I read that you can do one of those Fantasy Drafts to start the game. I've always been a big fan of those. A fun way to start a game and build your team how you want.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #97
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Mobile/Offensive, I think.

Detroit, Calgary, Edmonton, Nashville, Washington with some varying levels of rebuilding to be done with each depending on how much of a challenge you want and what other team strengths/weaknesses you like.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #98
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yes. As are the Islanders.

I think I read that you can do one of those Fantasy Drafts to start the game. I've always been a big fan of those. A fun way to start a game and build your team how you want.

And an excellent way to get rid of the cap headaches teams may have backed themselves into up to this point (yes Lowe, I'm looking at you).
Old 09-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #99
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yes. I'd suggest Nashville if you want a decent team with several good young players. The Predators are seemingly two or three players away from being very good.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #100
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
I think this was in reference to Be a Pro mode.

Yes, it was. This is the mode I'm most interested in trying out. Just had time to re-read the review and it was referring to that mode. Anyway, overall the review is very positive and with the positive impressions here so far, I'll likely pick this up this week.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote