Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-21-2021, 03:26 PM   #9251
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

dola

This article from The Federalist.

Quote:
For Christians, Dying From COVID (Or Anything Else) Is A Good Thing
It is time for Christians individually and corporately to repent for the way we and our institutions responded to the COVID-19 outbreak
Old 10-21-2021, 03:30 PM   #9252
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

"Corporately"?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:04 PM   #9253
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Corporately meaning public pronouncements/acknowledgements from churches, church leaders, etc.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:11 PM   #9254
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, the church as a whole body.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:20 AM   #9255
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The school has a history of anti vax positions.

Parent speaks out after pulling child from Centner Academy

Is it a Waldorf/Rudolf-Steiner School by any chance ?

There's a group of Schools based on a philosophy of doing stuff (lots of 'wholesome' teaching, everybody is an individual snowflake etc, based on a guy called Rudolf Steiner...) in Germany and surrounding countries that is like that called Waldorf Schools. Long been attracting antivax parents and staff and as a result had a disproportionate number of measles outbreaks with often as many as 50% of students unvaccinated. Apparently there's a bit over 100 such schools in the US as well (250 in Germany and i am still flummoxed this is allowed given our much more stringent system).

Ginger root and meteorite dust: the Steiner ‘Covid cures’ offered in Germany | Germany | The Guardian

As anti-vaxx dispute rages, attention turns to California's Waldorf schools | Vaccines and immunisation | The Guardian

Also, this is an interesting short primer on related themes and how the alt-right has managed to connect with very leftist but also pretty a-political groups/circles during the pandemic:

Alt-Medicine: How the Alt-Right Weaponizes Vaccine Hesitancy
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 10-22-2021 at 02:25 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:24 PM   #9256
PilotMan
Head Coach

Booster approved for J&J yesterday....booster received today. (Pfizer)

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #9257
miami_fan
Coordinator

This looks familiar.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:46 PM   #9258
Atocep
Coordinator

I wonder how many of those people have actually watched an NBA game let alone ever see Kyrie play.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:12 PM   #9259
Edward64
Head Coach

Wife (teacher) is eligible and will get booster this week.

Rest of us aren't eligible yet but figure it won't be too long before they'll see a lack of demand and open it up for everyone that had been vaccinated 6+ months ago.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:24 PM   #9260
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
This looks familiar.

Apparently the leader is claiming that vaccinations are racist. 0_o
Old 10-24-2021, 09:25 PM   #9261
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Wife (teacher) is eligible and will get booster this week.

Rest of us aren't eligible yet but figure it won't be too long before they'll see a lack of demand and open it up for everyone that had been vaccinated 6+ months ago.

Here in Iowa you fill out a form for an appointment and they just take your word for it that you're eligible. I did get my Pfizer booster a couple of weeks ago. I am actually eligible but was never challenged or questioned. In this idiotic state, enough people have turned down the vaccine that there is plenty to go around. Hell, the place I went even gave me a $10 gift card as a reward\incentive to get it
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #9262
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've been confused about booster eligibility. Originally, it was about high risk, first responders, etc., but now all I hear about is "boosters are widely available" and you can mix and match, etc. but there's no talk at all about who is allowed to get them. So my wife and I are wondering if there are no eligibility requirements any more. We haven't checked and maybe that would clear up the confusion, but the messaging on this has been horrible.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-25-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:50 AM   #9263
Edward64
Head Coach

I googled on "GA booster eligibility" and first up is a State of GA website that spelled it out well.

In GA, its not wide open yet.

Page not found | Georgia Department of Public Health.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:59 PM   #9264
Ksyrup

I got the flu vaccine on Friday and had a headache and achy body all day Saturday (although it didn't keep me from running 7.5m). Barely felt either Covid shot, though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-25-2021, 02:21 PM   #9265
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

lol At NYC police holding Do Not Comply signs.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #9266
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I've been confused about booster eligibility. Originally, it was about high risk, first responders, etc., but now all I hear about is "boosters are widely available" and you can mix and match, etc. but there's no talk at all about who is allowed to get them. So my wife and I are wondering if there are no eligibility requirements any more. We haven't checked and maybe that would clear up the confusion, but the messaging on this has been horrible.

From the CDC:
Quote:
For individuals who received a Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, the following groups are eligible for a booster shot at 6 months or more after their initial series:For the nearly 15 million people who got the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine, booster shots are also recommended for those who are 18 and older and who were vaccinated two or more months ago.
There are now booster recommendations for all three available COVID-19 vaccines in the United States. Eligible individuals may choose which vaccine they receive as a booster dose. Some people may have a preference for the vaccine type that they originally received, and others may prefer to get a different booster. CDC’s recommendations now allow for this type of mix and match dosing for booster shots.

I had J&J back at the end of March, and was eligible immediately. Got Pfizer on Saturday, had almost no side effects, other than a weird feeling on Sunday afternoon and an arm that felt like people had taken turns punching it.

Like Steam?

Old 10-25-2021, 02:37 PM   #9267
Ksyrup

Maybe the J&J distinction is where the "anyone can get it" thing comes from, versus the others. I guess my wife could get the booster as a teacher. She had one of the others.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:49 PM   #9268
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I got the flu vaccine on Friday and had a headache and achy body all day Saturday (although it didn't keep me from running 7.5m). Barely felt either Covid shot, though.

Got my flu shot at the same time as my covid booster. Went in with the intention to ask about the flu shot and when I could get it in relation to the booster. Before I could they asked me if I wanted it at the same time.

Nurse told me since I had no effects on the first two Pfhizer shots the I'd be fine with the booster. If I had any issues it would be with the flu shot. Fortunately for me, no reactions.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:37 PM   #9269
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Guys, they were just playing!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/25/us/mi...ine/index.html

Semi serious questions because I know I am biased: Aren't they supposed to be pissed about the government interfering in how they run their school? Shouldn't they be filing a lawsuit against the state?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:17 AM   #9270
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I have a psychical next week. I will probably get the booster then along with the flu shot.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #9271
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Guys, they were just playing!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/25/us/mi...ine/index.html

Semi serious questions because I know I am biased: Aren't they supposed to be pissed about the government interfering in how they run their school? Shouldn't they be filing a lawsuit against the state?

These people are literally too dumb to live.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:07 AM   #9272
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I have a psychical next week. I will probably get the booster then along with the flu shot.

Is that a two-fer? Physical and psych evaluation in one?
Old 10-26-2021, 02:26 PM   #9273
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
These people are literally too dumb to live.

It might be splitting hairs but "too dumb" or "too petulant"? I swear, it's like society is reverting back to teenage years right before our very eyes. For some of us, it means playing video games and posting stupid things online (even though that wasn't even available at the time for some of us) while for others, it's just this open rebellion and lashing out. Only with adult resources and adult power.

SI

Old 10-26-2021, 02:44 PM   #9274
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The FDA meeting is reaching a really stupid point

A bunch of doctors are raising objections about the FDA EUA approval being used as a potential mandate going forward (never mind that the mandates didn't come along until full approval happened under Pfizer not EUA).

And, while doing so, putting a risk on the shot even being made available. Or to only being available to certain risk groups. I think if you could hear public comments, there would be a lot of parents about ready to murder these grandstanding old men.

SI

Old 10-26-2021, 02:51 PM   #9275
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's also amazing how the "won't somebody think of the children" standard is being applied with kids. No one wants to flip the switch on the trolley problem since kids are involved. Never mind that some of us who are being particularly careful with our children is precisely /because/ of the long term profile of COVID (increased type 1 diabetes risk, bad long term side-effect profile for similar virus SARS-CoV-1, etc). I'm not really worried about my son dying, but I am much more worried about him getting a long term complication from the disease and he has much more of his life ahead of him to deal with said complication. So, yes, that matters a lot to me more. Especially considering the side effect profile of, say, catching COVID is much worse than that of a shot. Does that mean he could have an adverse reaction to the vaccine and would not have had one for COVID? Yes, but the dice roll is much more likely that it would be the other way around, which is why he's getting the vaccine as soon as he's able.

SI

Old 10-26-2021, 03:11 PM   #9276
Thomkal
Head Coach

Curious here, has anyone here had side effects/bad reactions from mix/matching vaccine booster shots or heard of anyone having them? I'm eligible to get a booster now, so wanted to know before I did it
Old 10-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #9277
PilotMan
Head Coach

Thomkal, I mixed J&J with Pfizer and had zero major effects.

I haven't heard anything really specific. Mixed bag, like the initial doses.

Like Steam?

Old 10-28-2021, 09:26 AM   #9278
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Curious here, has anyone here had side effects/bad reactions from mix/matching vaccine booster shots or heard of anyone having them? I'm eligible to get a booster now, so wanted to know before I did it

So I got the Pfizer booster at Walmart, and apart from the usual sore arm, I had chills pretty bad this morning. I usually shiver as a kidney failure side effect, but this was an all out put a jacket on, and covers type of chill. Other than that no side effects so far.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:42 AM   #9279
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Thomkal, I mixed J&J with Pfizer and had zero major effects.

I haven't heard anything really specific. Mixed bag, like the initial doses.

cocktail!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:23 PM   #9280
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

A total of 34 NYPD officers went on unpaid leave today.

Mandates work.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:08 PM   #9281
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

No question they are effective at their stated goal. Last estimate I heard was that about 5% of unvaccinated are putting their money where their mouth is and actually quitting. The rest are actually gritting their teeth and bearing it, so to speak.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #9282
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
No question they are effective at their stated goal. Last estimate I heard was that about 5% of unvaccinated are putting their money where their mouth is and actually quitting. The rest are actually gritting their teeth and bearing it, so to speak.

5% of what?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:32 PM   #9283
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
A total of 34 NYPD officers went on unpaid leave today.

Mandates work.

So the NYPD was lying when they told us it would be thousands? What a shocker!
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:38 PM   #9284
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
5% of what?

Of unvaccinated people mandated to get a vaccine or lose their jobs.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:44 PM   #9285
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Of unvaccinated people mandated to get a vaccine or lose their jobs.

I think it is way less than that
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:57 PM   #9286
henry296
College Starter

If 5% of unvaccinated decline, that would be about 1.5% of a company's workforce (5% x 30%) which assumes 70% are fully vaccinated. If you just need 1 shot then about 1%. Definitely lower than that for NYPD, but NYC has a higher vaccinated rate than US average.

I don't think it is far off, but likely the difference between a survey and actions.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:00 PM   #9287
RainMaker
General Manager

The number comes from a survey. Whether people are telling the truth is another story, but I find it hard to believe 5% have left their jobs.

Take a look at the NYPD. It turns out 0.15% actually left over the mandate in the end. And that's from a group that is much farther to the right politically than your average American.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:42 AM   #9288
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

My company's made vaccination a condition of employment, the date of decision is early next year. I'm not sure what the percentage of people
opting for termination will be, but we're definitely experiencing turn over as people are leaving for other jobs. All categories included, that turn over looks to be a lot higher than 5%.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:06 AM   #9289
PilotMan
Head Coach

Ok, so clearly a couple of Texas based airlines are getting a lot of attention because they are having issues with their pilots and flight attendants and vaccinations.

My company and union worked out a deal back in May where the company would pay a pretty good incentive to get everyone vaccinated. The union and their lawyers basically said that mandatory vaccinations would be legal and coming eventually, but the company had the wherewithal to go the incentive route first. My personal incentive paid me nearly $3000.

Our company is well over 90% vaccinated, and the pilots are something like 99%. There are a few fighting, and the union is trying to support alternative methods of compliance for those who do not wish to, but they are a very, very small minority.

Conversely, no other airlines have gone the incentive route. We've not had the problems that these Texas based airlines have, and we'll gladly take all their market share while they figure things out.

Like Steam?

Old 11-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #9290
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
My company's made vaccination a condition of employment, the date of decision is early next year. I'm not sure what the percentage of people
opting for termination will be, but we're definitely experiencing turn over as people are leaving for other jobs. All categories included, that turn over looks to be a lot higher than 5%.

Many people are quitting/moving jobs, but the percentage directly attributable to a company mandate that they refuse to comply with is what the 5% is supposedly measuring.

In my company, the percentage is slightly higher, but we're talking about 50-55 company employees, not thousands. We had 4 people quit.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:29 AM   #9291
miked
College Starter

Kids just got approved last night, took my 8 year old for his shot this morning and got my booster. Feels good to finally have the whole family vaccinated (even though he needs to go back in 3 weeks).
Old 11-04-2021, 05:21 AM   #9292
Edward64
Head Coach

Interesting article on which booster to pick since we can now do mix and match.

3 of us had Moderna and daughter had Pfizer. Basically if you got J&J, upgrade to Moderna or Pfizer for the booster. If you got Moderna or Pfizer, stick with either but don't "downgrade" to J&J.

Which COVID booster shot should I get? Here's how to chose - Los Angeles Times
Old 11-04-2021, 08:35 AM   #9293
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Kids just got approved last night, took my 8 year old for his shot this morning and got my booster. Feels good to finally have the whole family vaccinated (even though he needs to go back in 3 weeks).

Where did you get it? The soonest we were able to find an appointment was 11/20.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #9294
miked
College Starter

There are drive-up places all over here. Our pediatrician was not taking any appointments until the weekend, but Viral Solutions has sites all over the area for testing and vaccines. We got there are 9:30 and the guy said they were likely to run out during the day.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #9295
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

We were able to get a Walgreens apt. for our 10yo on Wednesday the 10th.

Our pediatrician's appointments were already pushed out to the 12th, as were Duke Health's (the big local hospital group).

I was hoping to knock it out this week, but next week will have to do
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:58 AM   #9296
Edward64
Head Coach

Fantastic news. Great to see legit therapeutics getting into the news. I know Pfizer needs to make some profits here but really can see this help rest of world.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/05/healt...ill/index.html
Quote:
Drugmaker Pfizer said Friday its experimental pill designed to fight coronavirus reduced the risk of hospitalization and death for high-risk patients taking part in a trial of the drug.

The company hopes it can eventually offer the pill, given in combination with an older antiviral drug called ritonavir, to people to take at home before they get sick enough to go to the hospital.

A so-called interim analysis -- done before the trial was scheduled to end -- showed an 89% reduction in the risk of hospitalization or death from Covid-19 if patients got it soon enough, the company said.
:
The volunteers have been randomly given either the pill combination or a placebo within three days or five days of their symptoms starting.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:12 AM   #9297
Butter
Coordinator

I heard the pill was just a secret vaccination in pill form
Old 11-05-2021, 09:10 AM   #9298
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's probably a pill designed to keep you from seeing the 'truth'.

Like Steam?

Old 11-05-2021, 10:43 AM   #9299
Edward64
Head Coach

Never happy.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:57 AM   #9300
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm excited about both the new anti-virals and mRNA technology coming from the pandemic-related research. There's real promise for progress against a host of diseases.