Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2023, 06:28 PM   #51
miami_fan
Coordinator

Dola,

Nah, I think he is gonna be all right with that one. He may not spend a lot more time on Nick Wright's show but he can hang strong on some of the other shows on FS1.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:36 PM   #52
miami_fan
Coordinator

Speaking of commentary that would definitely cost people their careers, I heard something today that I can not un-hear so I will burden you with it as well. Given his tweets and commentary followed all the educational meetings he was involved in over the last 12-18 months...

has anyone asked Kyrie Irving his thoughts on current world events?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-02-2023, 01:43 AM   #53
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

75 in the first half. EIGHTY in the second half. That's nuts.
Old 11-02-2023, 06:18 AM   #54
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
75 in the first half. EIGHTY in the second half. That's nuts.

They look good 4 games in and the Bucks do not.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 08:48 AM   #55
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My daughter was in disbelief when she read this. She was like, in high school girls basketball, we would have worked on multiple defenses and offenses prior to the weekend before the season starts. WTF?

Also - Calipari noted afterwards that he forgot Friday was an off day, so they'll be working on zone defense/offense on Saturday, but then they have to get into game prep on Sunday so Saturday will be it.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-03-2023 at 08:49 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:14 PM   #56
rjolley
College Starter

Totally agree that it's surprising they don't have a basic zone offense in. I can see not having the wrinkles added, but a simple 3 out 2 in or 4 out 1 in where they find the gaps in the defense should be in.

Maybe it's due to all of the new players, a lack of veteran leadership, and a severe skill deficiency that's causing them to work on drills a lot more than expected, but still, they should have a basic shell offense in.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 01:40 AM   #57
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wait…Memphis had a 27 year old senior who they were trying to gain an additional year of eligibility for? Looks like he was a 23 old freshman when he played. Theres gotta be some crazy story here.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 08:02 AM   #58
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My daughter was in disbelief when she read this. She was like, in high school girls basketball, we would have worked on multiple defenses and offenses prior to the weekend before the season starts. WTF?

Also - Calipari noted afterwards that he forgot Friday was an off day, so they'll be working on zone defense/offense on Saturday, but then they have to get into game prep on Sunday so Saturday will be it.

First, it's Cal so all the grains of salt with anything he says. That being said, my guess is this may be more of a controlled scrimmage than a game. Yes, there will be refs and everything will look like a normal preseason game. But the coaching staffs may have discussed certain sets they are trying to run or they want to see how their team defends a certain set of plays. It could also be something like Kentucky will be playing Kansas in next week and Cal would prefer not to show them anything zone related.

I honestly just think it is just Cal lowering expectations/getting his excuses in early.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:17 AM   #59
Ksyrup

I'd buy that except Cal's been lowering expectations in Lexington for a number of years in a row and it's getting stale. So either he's sticking with the same media playbook or he doesn't know how to read the room (or doesn't care, I guess).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-04-2023, 08:36 AM   #60
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Wait…Memphis had a 27 year old senior who they were trying to gain an additional year of eligibility for? Looks like he was a 23 old freshman when he played. Theres gotta be some crazy story here.

Cliff Notes.

- As an 18 year old (Oct. birthday, reclassified), he transferred to a basketball version of Bishop Sycamore for his senior year in HS, played basketball but none of the classes he took counted towards graduation. Then had to skip a year of basketball to take the right classes to graduate from HS.

- Played at one of those post HS academies for one year.

- Went to Evansville at 22. Was a partial qualifier so was not allowed to play his first year in school. Then played one.

- Transferred to Memphis for his final two years of eligibility.
Old 11-04-2023, 09:07 AM   #61
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'd buy that except Cal's been lowering expectations in Lexington for a number of years in a row and it's getting stale. So either he's sticking with the same media playbook or he doesn't know how to read the room (or doesn't care, I guess).

Now that everyone has caught on with one and done's, the transfer portal, NIL etc., everything comes down to Cal as an X and O coach and well that has never been Cal's strong suit. He is not like Rick Pitino who could go to a school like Iona and be successful.

Kentucky has the #1 recruiting class according to ESPN last year. The question is whether or not Cal can make the class specifically and the team in general better by the end of the season then they are right now.
Old 11-04-2023, 09:48 AM   #62
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
He didn't graduate high-school till he was 22. Nothing explains why, but his first year of college in 2019 he would have been 23.

Edit: I'll take that back. He was 20, then played for a prep academy till he was 22.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-04-2023 at 09:52 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 08:12 PM   #63
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Only 70 in the first half for the celtics. Slowing down
Old 11-04-2023, 08:25 PM   #64
Ksyrup

They'd have 150 against USC's D.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:54 PM   #65
Atocep
Coordinator

WVU went 4-32 from the floor in the first half of their opener. I don't think I've ever seen so many easy shots missed.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 06:59 PM   #66
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
WVU went 4-32 from the floor in the first half of their opener. I don't think I've ever seen so many easy shots missed.

First time I’ve gotten season tickets in 10 years. Feeling some regret…
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 08:05 PM   #67
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
First time I’ve gotten season tickets in 10 years. Feeling some regret…

2nd half was a little better

I like this group. Playing without Krisa, Battle, and Akok for a while will help in the long run. We're definitely getting Krisa back in a few games. Hopefully we get both Battle and Akok back at some point, but at least 1 of the 2 would be huge.
Old 11-07-2023, 08:50 AM   #68
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Heat 108, Lakers 107 with 3 minutes remaining. Final score? 108-107.

Lakers cut IIRC a 12 pt deficit to 1 with 3 minutes to go in the game. Last three minutes they never attempted a shot inside the 3 pt line. Closest was one time LeBron was called for a charge on a drive. They got the ball with 8 seconds left and the opportunity for the last shot, also a drive and kick out 3. WTF?

FWIW Miami didn't score in those last 3 minutes either. Again WTF?
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 09:03 AM   #69
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Heat 108, Lakers 107 with 3 minutes remaining. Final score? 108-107.

Lakers cut IIRC a 12 pt deficit to 1 with 3 minutes to go in the game. Last three minutes they never attempted a shot inside the 3 pt line. Closest was one time LeBron was called for a charge on a drive. They got the ball with 8 seconds left and the opportunity for the last shot, also a drive and kick out 3. WTF?

FWIW Miami didn't score in those last 3 minutes either. Again WTF?

Well you know that was gonna make ME curious lol

LBJ completes an and-one with a FT at 2:39, cuts it to one.
Herro turnovers, LBJ misses a 3
Butler misses a driving layup at 2:01
LBJ called for a charge
Butler misses a 3, offensive rebound, Lowry jumper blocked by LBJ at 1:27
Reaves misses a 3
Herro misses a 3 at 0:51
Reaves misses a 3 at 0:30
Adebayo travels at 0:08
Reddish misses from 21 feet at 0:04
Butler defensive rebound at 0:02 and that's the end

So after the free throw cuts it to one point
Miami has 2 turnovers, 4 misses( 1 blocked)
LAL has 3 missed threes, an offensive foul turnover, and a missed two
Old 11-07-2023, 09:32 AM   #70
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Brandon Rechsteiner got some quality PT for Virginia Tech last night, looked great.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 09:35 AM   #71
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Brandon Rechsteiner got some quality PT for Virginia Tech last night, looked great.

Normally he'd have a 33 1/3 percent chance of being good ...
Old 11-10-2023, 01:16 PM   #72
miami_fan
Coordinator

Celtics fans, guess what happened?

Sources - Blazers' Robert Williams III to have season-ending surgery - ESPN

I don't mean that Celtics fans are happy that Timelord got hurt. It is more about the Celtics fans I know being fully aware that it was a matter of when not if his knees would end his season if not his career.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:39 PM   #73
miami_fan
Coordinator

I admit that I only saw a highlight clip but I find it hilarious that the league office brought in rules against load management especially when it comes to the player's team's only regular season game in that city only for the refs to toss the most recent Finals MVP and former regular season MVP out of his team's only game in Detroit.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:51 PM   #74
Thomkal
Head Coach

Finally! Cliff Ellis retires as head basketball coach at Coastal Carolina. I liked the hire when it was announced, but man he just didn't have it in him anymore. So grats on a mostly good career and enjoy your retirement:

Coastal Carolina men's basketball coach Cliff Ellis retires | Myrtle Beach Sports | postandcourier.com
Old 12-06-2023, 08:50 PM   #75
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Man, the Pistons are absolutely terrible. Adam Silver needs to step in and force Tom Gores to sell this team. It’s beyond atrocious.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 05:45 AM   #76
bob
College Starter

Still have 11 games to lose before they break the record. Or 9 more if we are only going for single season record.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 07:58 AM   #77
miked
College Starter

In case you missed it, Rutgers bagged the #2 recruit in the country somehow. They now have the #2 and #3 recruits in the country, and Harper chose RU over Duke and Kansas.

Rutgers lands PG Dylan Harper, No. 2 recruit in Class of 2024 - ESPN
Old 12-07-2023, 07:08 PM   #78
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

My kids are so pumped for this NBA cup. I’m so happy for the pacers so far giving them something to root for.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 09:21 PM   #79
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Twitter blowing up with rumors of Juwan Howard's impending dismissal.

Same rumors suggest that he got in a physical altercation of some sort with a staff member.

It's Twitter, so take that all fwiw I guess
Old 12-12-2023, 09:03 PM   #80
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Celtics will be tired of the Cavaliers, with two games in three nights. I know, I'm already tired of them.

And little known fact: The Celtics and Cavaliers game from January 16th, 1987 is the subject of one of the best books about basketball of all time. Forty Eight Minutes (By Bob Ryan).. even though the title isn't strictly true..

(believe it or not, you can look up the stats for that game on Google. Today's stars sprained several body parts looking at the minutes played by DJ, McHale, and Larry Legend during a semi-meaningless January game.)

January 16, 1987 NBA - Google Search

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-12-2023 at 09:03 PM.
SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 09:04 PM   #81
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I admit that I only saw a highlight clip but I find it hilarious that the league office brought in rules against load management especially when it comes to the player's team's only regular season game in that city only for the refs to toss the most recent Finals MVP and former regular season MVP out of his team's only game in Detroit.

Jokic has been ejected from his only game in Chicago with 1:08 remaining in the 2nd quarter. 16 minutes played is all you get Chicago.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:28 PM   #82
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Jokic has been ejected from his only game in Chicago with 1:08 remaining in the 2nd quarter. 16 minutes played is all you get Chicago.

Meanwhile we have Draymond straight up committing assault on the court.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:46 AM   #83
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Seems like it's only a matter of time until Juwan Howard blows up in a way that can't be forgiven.
Old 12-16-2023, 12:44 PM   #84
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa Men and Women play a double header in Des Moines today. Men play at 3:30, Women at 6. I love how the Womens program has eclipsed the Mens.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 03:02 PM   #85
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Pistons need three to tie the record, four to break it. Next five games on the schedule are at the Hawks, Jazz at home, road/home back to back against the Nets and at the Celtics.
Old 12-23-2023, 11:34 PM   #86
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Merrimack & Sacred Heart are leaving the Northeast Conference after this year for the Metro Atlantic. Chicago State, independent for the past two years (but it's felt like a decade) are finally getting back into a league, replacing them in the NEC next year. NEC was going to be short of the minimum of 6 non-reclassifying programs so they needed somebody to fill that spot, so a no-brainer to take the only independent left in college basketball.

Merrimack just moved to D1 and aren't even fully eligible yet, NEC bent over backwards even letting them play (and win) the conference tournament last year, so I'm sure they're displeased but these minor conference moves are always fascinating as it's not about TV money.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 03:21 PM   #87
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa plays at 5 today on BTN. If you want to see the best college BB player, mens or womens, watch thhis. Clark has scored 35 plus the last 4 games.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 11:23 PM   #88
miami_fan
Coordinator

Why exactly would the Bulls put Jerry Krause’s widow through that ceremony?
Old 01-13-2024, 01:29 PM   #89
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, what did they think was going to happen? I feel bad for her, and the people booing were pretty classless if they knew she was there, but he's not exactly a beloved figure in Chicago.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 01:05 PM   #90
Atocep
Coordinator

Danilo and Muscala going from the 2nd worst team in the NBA to possibly the worst team in NBA history is kinda funny.

It only took the Pistons until Mid-January to realize they need bigs that can shoot instead of a collection of under the basket bigs that can't play together.
Old 01-14-2024, 02:00 PM   #91
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Iowa plays at 5 today on BTN. If you want to see the best college BB player, mens or womens, watch thhis. Clark has scored 35 plus the last 4 games.

Dang. Clark and crew made IU look bad. Good game, tarc. That team should go far.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:44 PM   #92
miami_fan
Coordinator

So Josh Giddey is innocent? Hmm.

All right then.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:44 AM   #93
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 09:47 AM   #94
Ksyrup

Quote:
So Josh Giddey is innocent? Hmm.

All right then.

I don't think that's necesarily a completely accurate statement.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:23 PM   #95
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

So, youtube seems to think I need to see more clips of Caitlin Clark, and I guess youtube in its infinite wisdom is correct because holy moley that's a hell of a player. I know enough about sports to know that when someone makes it look that easy they are just that much better than anyone else.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 08:02 AM   #96
Kodos
Resident Alien

She is a beast, from what I saw when Iowa played IU this year.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 03:27 PM   #97
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Here's a thought exercise for folks:

Each team is solely built out of the draft class for one season. (so, the Draft Class of say, 2020, becomes a team going forward, then a team made of the Draft Class of 2021, no trades, no free agents from other draft classes).

How soon before a team SOLELY made up of one draft class could become title contenders, and how late in their careers would you write them off as no longer title contenders?
Old 01-30-2024, 03:38 PM   #98
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Fun thought-

First thing I noticed was oof! Some major bad choices. Fultz over Tatum! and Fox.

I think the 2015 or 2018 would have the best shot.

2015 has- KAT, Russell, Porzingis, Myles turner, Trey Lyles, Booker, Payne, Oubre, Rozier (picked late first in a row), Portis, Looney, Nance Jr.- They have size and really good outside shooting with depth and solid role players.

2018- Ayton, Bagley, Luka, Jackson Jr, Trey, Carter Jr, Sexton, Bridges, Shae Gilgeous, Porter Jr, Huerter, Grayson Allen, Simons, Vanderbilt.- They would struggle with size but the guard play, oof. Good luck with Luka Trey, and SGA on the floor at the same time. Jackson Jr would be a nice defensive anchor.

Last edited by Lathum : 01-30-2024 at 03:40 PM.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 06:34 PM   #99
Atocep
Coordinator

I wonder who in the Bulls organization made a deal with the devil for the 90s run. Because it seems like since then the bill has come due.

Eddie Curry/Tyson Chandler, Jay Williams, LaMarcus Aldridge, Derek Rose, Lonzo Ball all were various instances of bad luck and just bad front office work. Now Zach LaVine is out for the year before he could be moved and likely tanks any chance of trading him for another year or more.
Old 02-03-2024, 07:10 PM   #100
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I wonder who in the Bulls organization made a deal with the devil for the 90s run. Because it seems like since then the bill has come due.

Eddie Curry/Tyson Chandler, Jay Williams, LaMarcus Aldridge, Derek Rose, Lonzo Ball all were various instances of bad luck and just bad front office work. Now Zach LaVine is out for the year before he could be moved and likely tanks any chance of trading him for another year or more.

It is a moot point now but I just did not see a team signing up for three more years of LaVine.

On a related note, are shooting guards the most overpaid position in the league? I know, position-less basketball etc. but I think everyone knows what I am saying. Here are the top ten shooting guards in the league according to the cap hit.

1. Bradley Beal, $46,741,590
2. Paul George, $45,640,084
3. Klay Thompson, $43,219,440
4. Zach LaVine, $40,064,220
5. Devin Booker, $36,016,200
6. C.J. McCollum, $35,802,469
7. James Harden, $35,680,595
8. Donovan Mitchell, $33,162,030
9. Jordan Poole, $27,455,357
10. Tyler Herro, $27,000,000

Only George, Booker and Mitchell made an All Star team this year.