Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-28-2022, 09:19 AM   #2101
PilotMan
Head Coach

I don't think we need to worry. Tucker told us that hurricanes are a scam.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:40 AM   #2102
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

My folks are down in SW Cape Coral, thankfully, they've evacuated into Miami Springs, and are going to be there at least until friday, they're looking at up to 9 Feet Storm Surge at their house. I'll be watching their camera with trepidation
Old 09-28-2022, 10:51 AM   #2103
Edward64
Head Coach

I've told my wife that if we retire on the Florida coast, it'll be a condo at least on the third floor with hurricane/flood insurance. Figure we should be safe then with storm windows, canned food, and bottled water.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:14 AM   #2104
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

We live in Palm Coast now, about 1 mile west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Mantanzas River (intercoastal waterway). We're projected to get tropical storm force winds and heavy rain, but there is no mandatory evacuation here. Right now, the eye of the storm is projected to cross over Daytona Beach to the south and then exit over the Atlantic. We're about 17 feet above sea level, so no concerns with the storm surge (which is only expected to be about 3 feet on this side), but high wind and excessive rainfall could cause some issues with tree limbs, power lines and local flooding.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:45 PM   #2105
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This footage on the Weather channel is insane.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:06 PM   #2106
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This footage on the Weather channel is insane.

stop being surprised that the damage we've done to our planet has extreme consequences.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:25 PM   #2107
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jim Cantore trying to get himself impaled on live tv.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:04 PM   #2108
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Update from family:

(Neighbors, who my family offered to take with them) just texted us they're going to the attic.

Me: Because of water?

Family: Yes, and we're still three hours from high tide.

Thank GOD my folks took the mandatory evacuation order seriously.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:41 PM   #2109
Edward64
Head Coach

Say what you want about Daily Mail but they usually have more pictures than most. Looks like landfall was between Naples and Tampa. Yup, condo on third floor at a minimum.

Some scary and incredible shots.

'Apocalyptic' Hurricane Ian reaches Category 4 as it bears down on Florida and winds hit 155mph | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-28-2022, 05:33 PM   #2110
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Been watching TicTok live streams of people in the path. Several people live streaming their house slowly getting flooded.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:42 PM   #2111
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've seen a bunch of before and after pics of Ft. Myers that are awful.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:05 PM   #2112
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I've told my wife that if we retire on the Florida coast, it'll be a condo at least on the third floor with hurricane/flood insurance. Figure we should be safe then with storm windows, canned food, and bottled water.

If I retire to Florida I think I might rent instead of buy there.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:13 PM   #2113
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Family: Just got a report from our neighbor: three to four inches of water in the house, water was over mail box on the street
Old 09-28-2022, 07:57 PM   #2114
tarcone
Coordinator

Just texted my nephew in Orlando. Said not bad. And he isnt to worried as they are inland.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:02 PM   #2115
miami_fan
Coordinator

It has been a relatively quiet day but the wind begun to howl outside. We have had a pretty stead rainfall all day but no flooding whatsoever compare to what we during the Cat 1 that came through a few years ago. May have something to do with the county cleaning out the storm drains on Monday afternoon. We have had a few power flickers but {knocks on wood} we have maintained power all day long.

We actually watched some of the old coverage from when Hurricane Andrew hit. It really is a shame that we have not committed to moving all the power lines underground.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:11 PM   #2116
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is crazy:

Took a quick run to the beach closest to my home to get these photos. The water had receded from the shore, exposing sand far beyond a normal low tide.. https://t.co/Q0BPOy0FCS

Wakulla is at least a couple hundred miles north.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:05 AM   #2117
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
It really is a shame that we have not committed to moving all the power lines underground.

Florida legislature passed an "all underground" measure back in 2019, but it takes time (and money) to do.

2021 estimate had around 35 percent of the Tampa area underground (that's the closest metro to your location, so I figure it's relevant'ish) but at a cost of between $600k-$1m per mile and no small amount of manpower it'll be years before everything is underground
Old 09-29-2022, 12:12 AM   #2118
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Minor note about that ... of course the kid is still here with me (til January) instead of in Miami but his condo is 2nd floor (and it's a kinda high 2nd floor) As he's always said, if I get water in here, there's bigger problems than my couch.

But the reason I mention that is the thing that isn't nearly as secure: his car.

The condo has underground parking (rare'ish in Miami apparently) but there are certain benchmarks that start around tropical storm warnings that require them to evacuate the parking garage and move to a (supposedly) secure location the building has an agreement with.

If you eventually make that move, be sure to know what the parking plan is.
Old 09-29-2022, 02:58 AM   #2119
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Water inundation in Naples, FL : nextfuckinglevel
Old 09-29-2022, 03:07 AM   #2120
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

https://www.reddit.com/r/nextfucking...st_completely/
Old 09-29-2022, 06:01 AM   #2121
Kodos
Resident Alien

I wouldn’t even consider retiring to Florida. Most of it will be underwater by 2050.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:14 AM   #2122
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The Sanibel Island causeway had a section destroyed. It is the only road on and off the Island.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:26 AM   #2123
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That's about a 40 minute drive (normally) from where my folks place is down there.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:53 AM   #2124
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Florida legislature passed an "all underground" measure back in 2019, but it takes time (and money) to do.

2021 estimate had around 35 percent of the Tampa area underground (that's the closest metro to your location, so I figure it's relevant'ish) but at a cost of between $600k-$1m per mile and no small amount of manpower it'll be years before everything is underground

Andrew hit in 1992. The idea of underground power lines is not a new one and neither is the debate.

I understand the installation cost and also the repair difficulties that come with having underground power lines. It also might not be feasible to do in some areas. But we know that those costs are just passed on the home owners. I am willing to bet that the 35 percent that you quoted are all in areas that were developed prior to that legislature passing. My subdivision was built in 2002 and has all underground power lines. Passing legislation at that point is like passing legislation that all TVs must have an HDMI slot.

I will amend my statement to I wish the commitment had occurred in 1993. I also wish more focus/investment were placed on replacing more of the overhead power lines than trying to maintain a antiquated system.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-29-2022, 06:56 AM   #2125
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Nothing's verified, but the Lee County Sheriff expects fatalities to be in the hundreds.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:21 AM   #2126
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The Sanibel Island causeway had a section destroyed. It is the only road on and off the Island.

Nothing that couldn't be solved with a couple of ramps...
Old 09-29-2022, 07:44 AM   #2127
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeehaw

Like Steam?

Old 09-29-2022, 08:15 AM   #2128
miami_fan
Coordinator

7:30 a.m.

A 72-year-old man in Deltona lost his life overnight after going outside during the storm to drain his pool, the sheriff's office said. Deputies responded to the home around 1 a.m. after the man's wife called and said he disappeared after going outside.

The sheriff's office said deputies found the victim's flashlight and then found him unresponsive in a canal behind the home. Deputies attempted CPR, but he was unable to be revived.

His death is the first reported in Florida related to Ian.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:26 AM   #2129
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
MIf you eventually make that move, be sure to know what the parking plan is.

Good point.

In addition to 3+ floor condo, canned food, bottled water, also add above ground 3rd+ floor parking.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:29 AM   #2130
Thomkal
Head Coach

I saw CNN interviewing someone this morning in one of the worst hit areas, he had just got a new boat a few weeks ago and decided to ride out the storm in it. They were interviewing him on the shore where was left of the boat, came on shore when it broke its moorings. Looks like he might have a broken collarbone, no id, money etc and now no boat either.

Last edited by Thomkal : 09-29-2022 at 08:30 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:06 AM   #2131
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I saw CNN interviewing someone this morning in one of the worst hit areas, he had just got a new boat a few weeks ago and decided to ride out the storm in it. They were interviewing him on the shore where was left of the boat, came on shore when it broke its moorings. Looks like he might have a broken collarbone, no id, money etc and now no boat either.

DeSantis already has him on a list to fly out of the state now, I'm sure.

Like Steam?

Old 09-29-2022, 11:08 AM   #2132
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I will amend my statement to I wish the commitment had occurred in 1993. I also wish more focus/investment were placed on replacing more of the overhead power lines than trying to maintain a antiquated system.

And just in case it wasn't clear/presumable (is that a word?) ... I don't have a clue off hand if you're lifelong FL or been there 2/10/20 years, or what.

So I didn't have a clue whether that 2019 stuff was something you knew or didn't know or whatever. Basically, it wasn't any attempt to be a smartass on my part or anything.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:59 AM   #2133
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
If you eventually make that move, be sure to know what the parking plan is.

To your point ...

Old 09-29-2022, 12:23 PM   #2134
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
To your point ...

Schadenfreunde levels rising...
Old 09-29-2022, 02:54 PM   #2135
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Schadenfreunde levels rising...

"We all live in a yellow submarine..."
Old 09-29-2022, 03:03 PM   #2136
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
And just in case it wasn't clear/presumable (is that a word?) ... I don't have a clue off hand if you're lifelong FL or been there 2/10/20 years, or what.

So I didn't have a clue whether that 2019 stuff was something you knew or didn't know or whatever. Basically, it wasn't any attempt to be a smartass on my part or anything.

I did not take it in a negative way at all. Honestly, it was a perfect storm (no pun intended) for a frustrated native who lived through Andrew. From listening to former Gov. Lawton Chiles talk in real time about needing to move the power lines underground, to people in my mom's neighborhood complaining that the power going out due to 20-30 mph gust before we really felt any effect of the storm, and finally hearing Gov. De Santis talk about areas having to rebuild overhead power lines. Not to mention a county emergency management operations center losing not only it primary power source but its secondary power source as well for hours, The solution? Put up more poles.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:06 PM   #2137
RainMaker
General Manager

Is the flooding worse than anticipated? Some of these videos on social media are crazy. Like "I hope you brought an axe to the attic with you" bad. Have to imagine the fatalities are going to be high unfortunately.

I also don't know how you get insurance in Florida these days. I feel like mine is high and don't live anywhere near severe weather. There had to be millions in the pathway and your best case scenario is some flooding which sucks bad.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:44 PM   #2138
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is the flooding worse than anticipated? Some of these videos on social media are crazy. Like "I hope you brought an axe to the attic with you" bad. Have to imagine the fatalities are going to be high unfortunately.

I also don't know how you get insurance in Florida these days. I feel like mine is high and don't live anywhere near severe weather. There had to be millions in the pathway and your best case scenario is some flooding which sucks bad.

I'm not completely up to date but the state of Florida created a property insurance company and largely ran off competitors. They've been very lucky over the last few years but it won't take too many storms before they go bankrupt. I'll be pissed if the Feds bail them out when the inevitable happens.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:52 PM   #2139
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Any much anywhere along the Gulf Coast is at the bottom of places I would want to live.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:20 PM   #2140
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Any much anywhere along the Gulf Coast is at the bottom of places I would want to live.

Really?

Id choose 10x places on the Gulf of Mexico rather than anything on the California coast with the inevitable erosion/quake fall into the pacific.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:36 PM   #2141
cuervo72
Head Coach

None of the above?
Old 09-29-2022, 09:46 PM   #2142
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I think a better question is whether the flooding is worse than what someone should have anticipated. If you live in Florida, you know if you live in a flood zone and what it looks like when it does happen. Yesterday morning, I saw pictures of some downtown areas in the southwest part of the state that had significant flooding after severe thunderstorms. That does not mean that there would definitely be significant flooding after the hurricane. It does mean that city leaders needed to take every precaution necessary to make sure the flooding would not be worse than it needed to be. I mentioned that I had flooding on my street and throughout my development during a storm a few years ago. Come to find out that the county did not clean the storm drains for months. This time they cleaned the storm drains on Monday and we had no flooding on the block.

Quote:

I have posted about this before. This is where things will get messy. The average homeowner is going to pay about $4,231 this year for insurance. The national average is $1,544. Even if you could pay that, some people had their policies dropped because the companies are leaving the state due insurance fraud and every house in the state getting a new roof. For some, there will be no rebuilding because they do not have any insurance.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:17 AM   #2143
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Really?

Id choose 10x places on the Gulf of Mexico rather than anything on the California coast with the inevitable erosion/quake fall into the pacific.

Weather in California is 10x better and the hurricane risk is basically equal to earthquake. And so much prettier, not flat
Old 09-30-2022, 06:23 AM   #2144
tarcone
Coordinator

My family made it through unscathed. Ocala got rain and winds, but not too bad. My nephew in Orlando did not lose electricity, not even a flicker.

Looking at the damage, good news.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:11 AM   #2145
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post

Are we talking about natural disasters or just, in general? I mean, I get the latter more than the former. I mean, have you seen which states are on the Gulf Coast and their quality of life (and I say that living in one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Really?

If we're talking about natural disasters, practically everywhere is subject to something, but some are better than others. I mean, Cali has quakes and wildfires. Much of the mountain west has wildfires or smoke from wildfires elsewhere and threat of running out of water. Different parts of the Midwest have different mixes of blizzard, flooding, tornado, and drought. The east coast isn't immune from hurricanes, though they are less frequent.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:22 AM   #2146
PilotMan
Head Coach

I won't help the suffering in Florida because the state of Florida hasn't given me any help lately, and they don't deserve it unless I get some too.

/s

Like Steam?

Old 09-30-2022, 09:23 AM   #2147
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Opinion: The hurricane problem Florida could have avoided | CNN
Old 09-30-2022, 11:57 AM   #2148
Thomkal
Head Coach

Lost power here for about a half-hour, and a bit "blinky" at times, but otherwise fine. Storm has not made it to landfall here yet though.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:24 PM   #2149
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Aerial view:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I'm not completely up to date but the state of Florida created a property insurance company and largely ran off competitors. They've been very lucky over the last few years but it won't take too many storms before they go bankrupt. I'll be pissed if the Feds bail them out when the inevitable happens.

Yeah I figure since it'll be wealthier folks, a bailout by the state or feds will probably happen.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:12 PM   #2150
Thomkal
Head Coach

3 piers destroyed in the Myrtle Beach area, thankfully not the one just about to reopen after being rebuilt from an earlier hurricane. Also a fishing trawler washed up in Myrtle Beach. On the very tail end of it here, still some wind and rain-lots of small stuff on the ground have not made it around all the house yet