Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
GMO
Mascot

Xbox360 or PS3 for NHL09

I want to buy a console, either a PS3 or Xbox.
I'm not sure which one to get.

Any ideas or siggestions?

The first and primary reason I will be buying it is to play NHL09.

Thanks.

GMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
samifan24
Pro Starter

As someone in a similar situation, I'm leaning towards a PS3 because a) it has Blu-ray and b) is just now coming into its own as a console. You'll find good arguments for both consoles so I'd suggest looking at the best games on both systems and making a determination based, in part, on the game library.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

Also, your thread title sounds like you want to trade an Xbox 360 or PS3 for a copy of NHL09.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-11-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

We have both consoles if I could only have one it would be the ps3 it just feels like it's better built. Biggest reason though is never worrying about the RROD. Other advantages IMHO..

1. free online. Let's me get roster updates for my sports games. With 360 you only get the roster updates with the Gold member pay-service. I don't play online against others though so can't speak to one or the other giving a better experience.

2. Blue ray movies.

3. easy to upgrade the hard drive yourself with compatible everyday laptop hard drives.

The 360 does have a better feeling controller but that doesn't mean I think the ps3 controller is trash. It's just not quite as good. However my son bought me the new dual-shock ps3 controller for my birthday which makes it almost as good as the 360's. Not sure if the new ps3's ship with dual shock?

Graphics are great on both machines so you'll certainly be happy with either one there.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

The dual shock is the best controller in the history of man.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #6
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
The dual shock is the best controller in the history of man.

I certainly wouldn't argue with that statement. The thing that I like about the 360 is the way the sticks are off-set. It is the only thing that makes it an eyelash better than the ps3's IMHO, since the reappearance of the dual-shock.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

360, the controller is much better. The PS3 controller feels like a cheap piece of plastic.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:38 AM   #8
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Get the 360 if you want to play online at all, there's several times more people available so that you can do league play.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:48 AM   #9
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

You can't go wrong with either system.

But you'll make everyone happy by getting both.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 09-12-2008 at 04:48 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Not sure if the new ps3's ship with dual shock?

The new PS3's all ship with Dual Shock 3 controllers.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:26 AM   #11
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I like the 360 controller the best, and for me it makes the most sense because all my friends have it (so for online play).

That said, PS3 likely won't require several trips back to the factory and can play BluRay.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:50 AM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

I recently bought a PS3, and I did so just in case I want to play BluRay, a few of my friends have the PS3 as opposed to one having the 360, and I honestly was scared about the quality of the 360. A guy here at work apparently has gone through six or seven of them and a friend has replaced his once.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

360 still has the best game lineup and XBL is great. If you want to play NHL 09 online with people from here, there are more 360 owners as well.

I love the controller as well...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
Travis
Pro Rookie

Given that you can play NHL on either system (though if you are interested in online play, which system do most of your buddies have) it'd likely be best to figure out what other factors you think will play in the most for you. 360 has a better existing lineup if there's some older titles you'd like to play. Probably also worth checking out the current and upcoming exclusives for each to see if that matters (MLB The Show made a huge difference for me) and whether or not BR makes a difference to you.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #15
twothree
College Prospect

If you believe that you will eventually end up having both systems ten years from now, I would say get the XBOX 360. The primary reason being the recent price drop, and the larger game selection being the second best reason. And there would also be a larger selection of older games at a lower price tier.

Personally, I recently purchased a PS3 instead of an XBOX 360. I had to get one or the other to play Head Coach. And, PS3 exclusive, Disgaea 3 was my main deciding factor. The secondary reason being the Blu-ray drive.

Last edited by twothree : 09-12-2008 at 12:43 PM.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote