Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #1901
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I'm watching a live camera set up on the coast of Louisiana and it's mesmerizing. Using the My Radar app.

The feed I was watching stopped. I think either the camera either was lost or was totally submerged. It was getting covered regularly with waves.

{edit: nope, it's back up again and it's violent.}

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 08-29-2021 at 12:33 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 12:34 PM   #1902
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I feel like, watching the track, that it's starting to head more away from New Orleans and towards the gap between New Orleans and Baton Rouge or even towards Baton Rouge (depending on when it turns north).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:52 PM   #1903
JPhillips
General Manager

The police chief in Grand Island saying they can't do another three or four hours was pretty scary.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:50 PM   #1904
PilotMan
Head Coach

Hurricane Ida Landfall Live Coverage - YouTube

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:54 PM   #1905
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is scary looking, but cool.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:14 PM   #1906
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The epic clowning of Jim Cantore has been the highlight of the day thus far.

When even fat guys are turning cartwheels in the background of your live shot, yeah, it's probably time to stop doing live shots.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:32 PM   #1907
JPhillips
General Manager

The way he stood in a wind tunnel from buildings was poor sport.

But the baseball helmet was a nice touch.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:10 AM   #1908
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The epic clowning of Jim Cantore has been the highlight of the day thus far.

When even fat guys are turning cartwheels in the background of your live shot, yeah, it's probably time to stop doing live shots.

I was wondering where a certain german 'news' outlet (kinda like UKs The Sun,there really isn't a US analog nearly as big) got it's ideas for their video reporting for YT/Website etc:

(bonus points for him looking ready to do a rendition of a Shakespeare play and her kinda looking like she's reconsidering her career choices)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 08-30-2021 at 04:12 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:46 AM   #1909
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
This is scary looking, but cool.

Wow. I'm guessing you don't want to mess with a firenado.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:14 PM   #1910
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The Washington Firenados. You can keep the original colors.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #1911
QuikSand
lolzcat

Family huddled in basement the last half hour, we got to see (indirectly) the ominous “clearing up” that indicates a funnel cloud/tornado is VERY close. Touched down in my county, flew within a half mile of our house, but all is well with us. Hoping for only minor damage elsewhere.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #1912
GrantDawg

Glad you are ok, Quick.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:24 PM   #1913
Kodos
Resident Alien

Scary! Glad your family was unaffected.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #1914
JPhillips
General Manager

Yikes. Glad you're safe.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:12 PM   #1915
Thomkal
Head Coach

Glad you guys are ok Quik!
Old 09-01-2021, 06:11 PM   #1916
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thanks... was a weird moment explaining to my kids that the sudden sunshine and calm was a really bad sign, rather than what it seemed, like an "all clear."
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:59 PM   #1917
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

South Jersey not so lucky, some areas got slammed. Headed my way. Could be a long night, and of course tomorrow is the first day of school.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:06 PM   #1918
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Thanks... was a weird moment explaining to my kids that the sudden sunshine and calm was a really bad sign, rather than what it seemed, like an "all clear."

Yeah, that's allllllways fun.

BTDT too many times.

Glad you weathered it okay, err, no pun intended
Old 09-01-2021, 07:08 PM   #1919
Ksyrup

Crazy. We were supposed to get 4-6 inches of rain in Kentucky with wind, and instead we got 2.5 days of light to moderate rain and that was it. Next thing I see, the NE is getting tornadoes.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-01-2021, 08:01 PM   #1920
JPhillips
General Manager

Nothing severe here, but lots and lots of rain. I expect a lot of street flooding is going on and getting to work tomorrow morning, if it really does rain all night like this, is going to be difficult.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #1921
henry296
College Starter

Due to the rain and the flooded roads, we had a school closure today in Western PA.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:30 PM   #1922
JPhillips
General Manager

NWS has issued the first flash flood emergency in NYC history.

edit: Last week Central Park set a record for rain in an hour at just under 2 inches. Today they broke it with over 3 inches in an hour.

Last edited by JPhillips : 09-01-2021 at 09:33 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:44 PM   #1923
Ksyrup

Anyone up for a subway ride tonight?

Old 09-01-2021, 10:09 PM   #1924
henry296
College Starter

I've been watching the US Open Tennis and one of the courts has a roof and was rained out because it was raining sideways into the court since it is open on the sides for ventilation.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:16 PM   #1925
JPhillips
General Manager

Newark had about 6.5 inches of rain just from 7-10 pm tonight.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:26 PM   #1926
cuervo72
Head Coach

We made the DC local news for flooding of Carroll Creek. "The first time in years it's been like this." No, not really. Two or three years ago during the band banquet we were flooded inside the school for a while. Cars were floating through the intersection to get in and out of the middle school lots. And darn near any decent rainstorm puts Baker Park underwater. There's a reason they haven't fixed the Little League fields there. Years, indeed.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-01-2021 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Carroll. Two Ls.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:35 PM   #1927
cuervo72
Head Coach

Seriously. All the time.

(The covered bridge pic seems to be a perennial favorite.)
Old 09-01-2021, 11:42 PM   #1928
Kodos
Resident Alien

We’re very stormy and rainy now too, with flash flood warnings.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:12 AM   #1929
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

did anyone watch the tennis matches? the rain was SOOOOOOOOOOO coming down in new york...so much that it was raining and blowing THROUGH the roof

any new yorkers here?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #1930
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

We had almost six inches of rain here. The dogs wanted nothing to do with it
Old 09-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #1931
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I had brunch today with a friend who works for the NYC FD. Said several people drowned last night in basement apartments. Crazy.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #1932
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I had brunch today with a friend who works for the NYC FD. Said several people drowned last night in basement apartments. Crazy.
I am seeing a report of at least 8 people that died in their homes in Queens.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:48 AM   #1933
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I am seeing a report of at least 8 people that died in their homes in Queens.

That was the number he gave me
Old 09-02-2021, 03:01 PM   #1934
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
did anyone watch the tennis matches? the rain was SOOOOOOOOOOO coming down in new york...so much that it was raining and blowing THROUGH the roof

any new yorkers here?

Yeah I watched. And even on the court that continued playing, the rain was so loud the winning player could not hear the reporter's questions after the match ended.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:03 PM   #1935
Ksyrup

On the backside of that system is some amazing weather though. Hopefully it will allow the NE to recover a bit quicker. I woke up this morning, took the dogs out at 7, felt the chill in the air and immediately shut off the air and opened all the windows in the house.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:09 PM   #1936
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
On the backside of that system is some amazing weather though. Hopefully it will allow the NE to recover a bit quicker. I woke up this morning, took the dogs out at 7, felt the chill in the air and immediately shut off the air and opened all the windows in the house.

It is beautiful here today
Old 09-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #1937
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah I watched. And even on the court that continued playing, the rain was so loud the winning player could not hear the reporter's questions after the match ended.

I was once at Minute Maid in Houston where that happened and I was really glad to not be sitting in the seats below where the rain was pouring in.

SI

Old 09-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #1938
CarterNMA
Mascot

I was in a news blackout since Thursday evening and I just turned on the Weather Channel to see Hurricane Nicholas is trashing the Texas coast?! Headed for Houston. Be safe SI and our other TX and LA brethren!
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:57 AM   #1939
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the well wishes!

You never know with tropical stuff but I think we should be good. It's not expected to be super strong, borderline TS/Cat 1 Hurricane so wind effects should be minimal. It's also expected to move pretty quickly, thankfully, so rain should be in the 5-15" with some 20" bullseyes. Unless we get sustained 3" per hour rains for a number of hours, our house should be good from flooding. This should only be tonight though midday/evening tomorrow before it lifts out of here.

For comparison, Harvey was from Friday night (really Saturday midday) through Monday night and my best guess is 35" in our neighborhood. However, it wasn't constant rain: there would be sustained periods with 2-3" of rain and then just clouds or sprinkles as different bands passed over us and other parts of Houston got pounded. We're very fortunate with how our subdivision and drainage is here - we were about 3-5" of rain from having water in our house. Harvey's problem also just how widespread the flooding was - look at how big that blue area is - it was something like 20 counties that got 20"+ of rain and all the areas inside it were saturated - it was 20-25" for everyone within hundreds of miles and up to 60(!)" for the worst areas:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurric...l_SE_Texas.gif (the frowny face always morbidly cracks me up)

Of course, again, tropical storm so you just never know. There's always nervousness: are we under some crazy rain bullseye and get 20" in a matter of hours, little spin up tornado, freakish water damage, something windblown through the windows, etc. But it should be manageable for us.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-13-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:23 AM   #1940
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We fared just fine here - looking at the map, the eye probably went over our house sometime this morning (5-6ish?). Windy and some nerves but the only "damage" we've found this morning was about a thimble full of water blown under the back door. Just a bit tired as I don't think any of us slept very well last night.

Fortunately, the flooding didn't come to pass except nearest the coast and further east than initially predicted (read: away from us). We didn't even lose power, though a few hundred thousand did - we were just lucky in that regard.

(insert "we will rebuild" lawn chair meme here)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-14-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:44 AM   #1941
miami_fan
Coordinator

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/03/weath...-us/index.html

Quote:
As of Friday morning, only two states in the US have blizzard warnings -- and they are Alaska and Hawaii. Yes, you read that correctly. In fact, more snow has fallen in Hawaii this season than in Denver, Colorado.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 12-04-2021 at 07:46 AM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 05:46 AM   #1942
Edward64
Head Coach

Pretty high number of lives lost. Sad.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/11/weath...day/index.html
Quote:
At least 50 people are likely dead after multiple tornadoes barreled through southwestern Kentucky late Friday, according to Gov. Andy Beshear.

"We believe our death toll from this event will exceed 50 Kentuckians, probably end up closer to 70 to 100 lost lives," Beshear said at a briefing Saturday morning, calling the storms that hit the state "the most severe tornado event in Kentucky's history."
Quote:
The worst destruction was in Graves County, he told CNN affiliate WLKY, particularly the town of Mayfield. "It hit Mayfield as hard as just about any town ... has ever been hit."

About 110 people were at a candle factory at the time the tornado hit, and Beshear said, "We believe we'll lose at least dozens of those individuals."
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:37 AM   #1943
Ksyrup

We had tornado warnings all around us last night, lost power and woke up multiple times due to high wind, torrential rain and thunder/lightning, but as predicted, things were far worse west of us. We knew this was coming for several days and that the timing would be after dark, so everyone was on high alert but there's only so much you can do. Preliminary reports are that this tornado was on the ground for 227 miles which might make it the longest tornado in US history.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-11-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:49 AM   #1944
Ksyrup

They recorded debris over 30K feet in the air. Holy crap.
Old 12-11-2021, 09:48 AM   #1945
tarcone
Coordinator

We had a bunch of tornadoes around St. Louis last night. 2 hit about 15 miles north of me. We had high winds, pea sized hail and lots of rain. A couple sirens went off as well.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:55 AM   #1946
JPhillips
General Manager

No tornados in Morehead, where my father-in-law lives, but lots of tree damage and flooding.
Old 12-11-2021, 09:56 AM   #1947
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just crazy reports about those tornado's this morning-hope all here in their path are safe.
Old 12-11-2021, 11:05 AM   #1948
RainMaker
General Manager

The devastation is unlike anything I've seen. This tornado seemed to just keep going.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:36 AM   #1949
RainMaker
General Manager

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #1950
Ksyrup

Damn. Now it appears a similar situation to the Mayfield plant that was flattened also occurred at an Amazon warehouse in Illinois.